Forza 4 Demo Thread

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 1,080 comments
My first impressions.

"Proffesional" A.I is anything but. Still brakes way too soon and too much. Beat the MP4 in my second race.

Controller steering is still heavily assisted but the simulation steering setting does make a notable difference.

Stupid distortion audio effect is crap and just ruins good engine sounds just for those with crappy tube TV speakers completely screwing everyone with a semi decent sound system.

Graphics are much improved but A.I cars look nothing special.

But anyway it´s funny and also sad that T10 works together with fanatec and brings an premium wheel on the market, and then implement an steering assist in the game. I really hope they fix this.

Set mine in the queue while I am in work, now having to wait until I get home (and drive the kids around, cook food, eat, etc, etc) before I can actually down,load it and give it a go is killing me.

Scaff
Mine is also in the queue so I will have to wait until I get home to check it out. Hard to believe the full game is out next week.

The simulation mode steering assist mearly a speed/sensitivity system.

The slower you go, the more steering angle you have available. The faster, the less. This effect was not as prevalent when using a wheel in FM2/3 so it's probably less so in FM4.

With simulation mode, you get no assistance in correction slides. In FM2 and 3 you had a lot of assistance.

I wonder is there an expert AI mode in the full game? currently they are way too slow, even slower than FM3's AI.

Ahh, and an interesting quote from the forza forums

Some of you people need to get over yourselves Complaining makes no difference to the game. You can complain every day until Forza 5 and it wont make any difference to the games outcome

These are Dan Geenawalts' words

the truth is those groups on the forums are not actually representing the larger population - because the larger population isn't on the forums arguing, they're just playing

We listen to our community, we look at the forums on other sites, but we also look at the data. Our community, while very vocal, does not actually come close to representing the way people are actually playing the game. So we use the data to hone, and we also look at our vision, and that's really the overarching lens we use

I wonder is there an expert AI mode in the full game? currently they are way too slow, even slower than FM3's AI.

From what I understand, the game adapts to your performance in the full version. Player picks the general difficulty, and the game adjusts through a number of levels beyond that based on how you do. We'll have to see if that makes a difference, but if not enabled yet, lack of support for this feature could explain why the difficulty seems muted to some in the demo.

Probably worded a bit too bluntly, but not the first time i've heard such reasoning. Even heard people here say simular things to trolls. On the flip side, they have made an attempt to respond to the FM3 assist complaint, even if they are BSing a bit about it being entirely shut off in sim mode, so they're getting that imput from somewhere, regardless of how they want to adress the subject of forum complainers and the validity of the complaints.

Last edited:
The person that said complaining on the Forza forums wont make a difference, clearly does not know T10. As Dan Geenawalt said, T10 does inded listen to the community and anyone that has been playing Forza since F1 knows that.

The fact public lobbies returned, or that 'simulation' steering settings appeared show that the vocal minority also get their say (Even if not always to 100% satisfaction)..

But what Dan says is true, they have the game data, they know how people are playing, so they use that, plus their own 'vision' to determine where the game is heading..

Or do I need to infer something different from it?

My first impressions.

"Proffesional" A.I is anything but. Still brakes way too soon and too much. Beat the MP4 in my second race.

Controller steering is still heavily assisted but the simulation steering setting does make a notable difference.

Stupid distortion audio effect is crap and just ruins good engine sounds just for those with crappy tube TV speakers completely screwing everyone with a semi decent sound system.

Graphics are much improved but A.I cars look nothing special.

Some of us always find the AI too easy.. I did struggle more on the Subaru one, but then in the full game, the AI can auto-upgade to keep themselves competitive..

I'd wait until the full game before worrying too much..

I did find the AI to be improved over FM3, much less ramming and dumb moments, they seemed much more aware, in fact driving the wrong way around the track whilst checking out other things, I noticed that they seem to 'see' you quite a distance and adjust their lines, I had quite a few cars spin out as they lost it due to having to change direction..

Last edited:
But they do listen more before you put down the cash, and slightly less after most deals are done. :P So now is the time to make some noise.

But they do listen more before you put down the cash, and slightly less after most deals are done. :P So now is the time to make some noise.
They still listen even after the game is relased. Remember after F3 was released and everyone was complaining that it didnt have any shift annimiations? Well I think it was about a month later and T10 patched F3 with shift annimations. Plus adding hoppers for just about anything the community asked for. Those are just a couple examples. So while I agree that they do listen a little less after the game is released, they do still listen. 👍

The fact public lobbies returned, or that 'simulation' steering settings appeared show that the vocal minority also get their say (Even if not always to 100% satisfaction)..

But what Dan says is true, they have the game data, they know how people are playing, so they use that, plus their own 'vision' to determine where the game is heading..

Or do I need to infer something different from it?

Yeah but why do they work together with Fanatec and throw out an premium racing wheel when they dont disable steering assists? They got the data and so... Why dont they also care about that 10% sim fans and deactivate that assists?

Whatever, they got the money from the people and dont care... thats how MS thinks and thats how Dan and T10 thinks... After release, only focusing on DLC to milk the people...

Whatever, they got the money from the people and dont care... thats how MS thinks and thats how Dan and T10 thinks... After release, only focusing on DLC to milk the people...
You are clearly blind if you dont think T10 listens to the community.

Yeah but why do they work together with Fanatec and throw out an premium racing wheel when they dont disable steering assists? They got the data and so... Why dont they also care about that 10% sim fans and deactivate that assists?

What do you actually think of the demo? What's your favourite car so far?

Why not wait and see what pans out with the 'simulation' steering, we don't know if it's the same in the final game, and we don't know what T10 are going to do, all we have so far is a couple of angry people acting like T10 ran over their dog and wondering why they are struggling to be heard..

Since they've proven to listen to the community over the years, it's clear you've jumped to your own conclusion that they don't care, and that's fine, vote with your wallet and play a game where you have conned yourself into thinking the developer cares about you and isn't out to make money out of you..

Well, we don't know for sure, Turn10 may lying about that "simulation steering" option. But one thing's for sure, the game (well, the demo) is a freakin' blast to drive. And that's what should really matter. Of course, if we can get 1:1 direct linear steering as a bonus, then count me in. But I won't deprive me of what could possibly be the greatest car game of all time because of some hidden assist most of us wouldn't have noticed if nobody had highlighted it.

phil-t
Why not wait and see what pans out with the 'simulation' steering, we don't know if it's the same in the final game, and we don't know what T10 are going to do, all we have so far is a couple of angry people acting like T10 ran over their dog and wondering why they are struggling to be heard..

Demo's 99.9% of the time are the final release code so yeah the people who would normally still be playing this in 2 years time (sim console racers) have a right to be annoyed, the NFS brigade will be on to the next racer without to much thought so T10 should look after there core market

He's does have a point... everyone may not like it but there will never be a computer racing sim that pleases everyone. They have to shoot for the mean.
My guess is most are aware of the C.A.R.S project by Slightly Mad Studios. There aim is to create a racing sim that is formed by the community. There isn't a chance in hell that the end result will please everyone. May be a very good sim and worth every penny but they have to draw a line in the sand and develop for the investor mass.

GT has complainers, F1 2011 has complainers, Mario Kart has complainers, ... If the sim has "most" of my requirements I am happy. MANY just play the damn game and enjoy until it's time for the next sim that claims to be the best racing sim since sliced bread. I comes down to is your glass half full or half empty :sly:

My take on the demo was that it reminded me a lot of PGR the sense of speed and sound and the graphics have a more stylized look to them rather than "realistic". It feels like Forza is doing its own thing which I like, when most people think Forza should be more like GT and vice versa. Forza 4 just seems like a more arcadey fun game and it should stick to that.

Pros:
Steering and Physics much improved (controller only so far)
Graphics look solid (Forza has found its own style)
AI is much better at avoiding you
Hard Difficulty provides a Challenge but is possible

Cons:
Damage seems even more limited than FM3 (Just scratch decals and light dents, high quality though)
Ingame cars are no where near showroom/autovista quality (Small improvement on FM3)

Heavy Damage (Sorry Photo quality isn't the best)
Photo0020.jpg

Car Detail (Switched to outside view and thought the textures hadn't loaded for a sec, just looked a bit flat.)
Photo0021.jpg

Overall I went in not expecting much, but came out pleasantly surprised. Off to try with a wheel now...

Those pics are not taken from and HDTV are they? I am guessing thats a regular, non HDTV. Since quite a bit of the PGR crew are working on Forza, that woudl make sense that F4 has a PGR4 feel to it. Thats good news. Thats why I was hoping F4 would have the PGR4 weather. But oh well maybe F5.

I think something might be wrong with your TV then because that seems like a lot of jaggie lines. Jk Jk :lol:

Can someone post similar pics from a different tv?

Those pics are not taken from and HDTV are they? I am guessing thats a regular, non HDTV. Since quite a bit of the PGR crew are working on Forza, that woudl make sense that F4 has a PGR4 feel to it. Thats good news. Thats why I was hoping F4 would have the PGR4 weather. But oh well maybe F5.

hehe, I can almost feel the "old timey" static coming off of the second pic. If it isn't a standard TV, it's one heck of closup of an LCD....:lol:

Edit: tree'd 720p? Wow, seems pixelated far beyond what I see with my version (on a LG HD Flatron computer monitor at 1080). Might want to try it at higher setting and see if there is a difference for you.

Last edited:
Back