Forza 4 Demo Thread

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 1,080 comments
Forza 4 just seems like a more arcadey fun game and it should stick to that.

Umm, with tire physics data obtained directly through a partnership deal with pirelli, along with further improvements to the already good physics engine, I think you're being a little fanboyish to say that Forza 4 is "arcady" compared to GT5. Make sure you have the control settings set to "simulation," and that all the asists are turned off. Beyond that, if you still prefer GT5, then "whatever floats you boat," I guess.

XBL is back up. My download only made it to 33% before it copped out. Gonna be a long night. Still seems slow as all hell, probably be my locality though.

Will definitely buy Forza 4 after I played the demo. Seems to be much better than FM3.

But the physics isn't spot on if it's trying to be a sim racer. You have way to much grip but I think it's a perfect balance between sim and arcade physics. Yes, I'm driving with all assist off, simulation settings and with clutch.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks the demo is too easy?

Took about 2 minutes just to log onto Xbox whilst it did a Live sign-in. Then took 4 attempts to DL, but it's doing it now - don't know the progress as I let it DL with the console off.

Can't wait to try the game that will fulfill the next two years of my gaming life. :D

Will definitely buy Forza 4 after I played the demo. Seems to be much better than FM3.

But the physics isn't spot on if it's trying to be a sim racer. You have way to much grip but I think it's a perfect balance between sim and arcade physics. Yes, I'm driving with all assist off, simulation settings and with clutch.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks the demo is too easy?

Best sim on consoles right now but it was never going to be a proper sim like iRacing and the likes.

Here is what Dan posted about people's complaints over the steering assists.

MRm7m.png

What do you actually think of the demo? What's your favourite car so far?

I only played it 15-20 mins. It bored me because I dont like the track and I dont like demos in general. So I´ll be waiting for the real thing 👍

But in that short time, it´s far better than FM3 and it has a lot of improvements 👍 The most significant is the shiny shiny graphics, wich look really good! But (for me) not as good as the premium cars in GT5.

Sound is great! But I found the sounds from Shift 2 better. Not the engine sounds, they are great in FM4!! But the other sound effects, when you brake, shift and so on...

But how some people here states is funny, to say the physics (with steering assists) are the best on any console and far better than GT5 :ouch:

Whatever, I will have fun with that game, thats sure and the most important thing :)

As much as FM4 impresses me, that sounds like a cop-out.

But how some people here states is funny, to say the physics (with steering assists) are the best on any console and far better than GT5
Not to agree or disagree with your opinion, but you make it sound like that was impossible...

For those having a tough time grasping the steering assist like I was this guys' video explains and shows exactly how the steering assist works.

After seeing this video that is definite confirmation that there is some sort of assist going on there.

Can someone try and reach out to Dan.

Lol at the people saying it feels sim-cade, definition of fanboyism right there.

regarding steering assist, Dan said its not there, so it isnt.

Here is what Dan posted about people's complaints over the steering assists.

MRm7m.png

I'm truly stumped. It seems to me the assist is there but he is so adamant that it's not. I can't believe he would say that unless he was sure but the evidence is there. Very confused.

Wow. The IBL and colour palette look GT-esque, a massive improvement from pervious Forzas for a start.

And on Alps Long Reverse, there's a bump just as you navigate the restaurant/dam complex that throws you into the wall if you get it wrong. Not used to that in Forza either. This game is going to be immense.

Lol at the people saying it feels sim-cade, definition of fanboyism right there.

Weeeeeell, I wouldn't necessarily agree with either statement.

Granted, I'd consider GT5, FM3/4 and Shift 2 to all be sim-cade games alike, so that's a rather moot point.

Concerning Dan's statement about the steering assist... Well, there's something going on and it looks exactly like the assist that was in FM3, si it's hard to believe him. Then again, I doubt he'd be dumb enough to blatantly lie to us.

Maybe it is something other than an assist. Doesn't change that fact that it shouldn't be there, I guess. Still, that didn't stop me from enjoying FM3, so it won't stop me from enjoying FM4.

If you have too much grip it feels arcadey, and I think you have too much grip in the demo, especially in the Cougar.

For those having a tough time grasping the steering assist like I was this guys' video explains and shows exactly how the steering assist works.

After seeing this video that is definite confirmation that there is some sort of assist going on there.

Can someone try and reach out to Dan.

Concerning Dan's statement about the steering assist... Well, there's something going on and it looks exactly like the assist that was in FM3, si it's hard to believe him. Then again, I doubt he'd be dumb enough to blatantly lie to us.

Maybe it is something other than an assist. Doesn't change that fact that it shouldn't be there, I guess. Still, that didn't stop me from enjoying FM3, so it won't stop me from enjoying FM4.

Someone in that vid posted:
"In real life that snapping is your differentials.... it's rear wheel drive.. that's what a rwd car does..."

I'm no expert but I'd like to know how valid this is.

Unless I missed something in my studies, differentials don't *snap*, or change the characteristics of the steering column mid-spin.

grip level alone isnt the biggest problem if the feeling is right, and the feeling is right on par with gt after some more playing. the sense of weight transfer is very good, u feel more of the car than in fm3, u can rely on the steering feel alone to know when to recover the car. Trying to initiate a drift with agressive turn in u will get a smooth progressive entry which is simply impossible in fm3. When i race online with my friends i usually decrease the grip level so that point is hardly a problem.

PzR Slim
I'm truly stumped. It seems to me the assist is there but he is so adamant that it's not. I can't believe he would say that unless he was sure but the evidence is there. Very confused.

He is saying that the icon is showing the torque alignment.

Basically the direction of force the tire wants to go.

Drive straight and the torque alignment is straight ahead, obviously.

Going sideways and turning into a skid the tires will naturally want to align with the direction you are going.
Rears won't obviously but the front on a rack would gravitate towards the skid.

Maybe an easier way to imagine is if you were pushing a car but the tires were turned to the left. The torque alignment would be straight ahead.
Physically the tires are pointing left. But the TA would be straight ahead as that is the way the tires would end up pointing if you pushed long and hard enough.

He says that is what the icon displays.

Would love to see an external replay to show exactly what the tires are doing.

Interesting comment nonetheless.

Edit excuse my poor explanation.
It's a difficult one. Lol.

He is saying that the icon is showing the torque alignment.

Basically the direction of force the tire wants to go.

Drive straight and the torque alignment is straight ahead, obviously.

Going sideways and turning into a skid the tires will naturally want to align with the direction you are going.
Rears won't obviously but the front on a rack would gravitate towards the skid.

Maybe an easier way to imagine is if you were pushing a car but the tires were turned to the left. The torque alignment would be straight ahead.
Physically the tires are pointing left. But the TA would be straight ahead as that is the way the tires would end up pointing if you pushed long and hard enough.

He says that is what the icon displays.

Would love to see an external replay to show exactly what the tires are doing.

Interesting comment nonetheless.

Edit excuse my poor explanation.
It's a difficult one. Lol.

Your explanation is good. Better than I could have explained it. So the situation is Dan is telling the truth and we have misinterpreted the steering wheel icon in the telemetry or we have it right and he's telling porkies.

Don't like the new M5 at all. Relatively dull sound, point and squirt driving feel. Not what you expect of a BMW, let alone an M car.

PzR Slim
Your explanation is good. Better than I could have explained it. So the situation is Dan is telling the truth and we have misinterpreted the steering wheel icon in the telemetry or we have it right and he's telling porkies.

Not sure lol.

It covers bases and if true would really show a deep physics engine.

Pushing a push bike one handed by the saddle, TA keeps your front wheel straight.
Tilting your bike left, TA would turn your handle bars left.

He is saying the icon is showing that value.

Would explain why the value doesn't match 1-1 with your wheel input too. Perhaps.

Sorry for trying to explain again.

External replay would put this to bed. If the tire physically moves to the direction of the icon with only moving slightly past neutral point on the steering he's blagging.

Latest Posts

Back