Forza 4 Demo Thread

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 1,080 comments
So I can't turn the music off in the demo or am I just too stupid to find the right menu ?

You need to hit the guide button and then play some music that you have on the hard disc or you can stick a usb stick with some music on into the xbox. Play then pause. Back to the game and the music should be gone.

Haloxeon
My take on the demo was that it reminded me a lot of PGR the sense of speed and sound and the graphics have a more stylized look to them rather than "realistic". It feels like Forza is doing its own thing which I like, when most people think Forza should be more like GT and vice versa. Forza 4 just seems like a more arcadey fun game and it should stick to that.

Pros:
Steering and Physics much improved (controller only so far)
Graphics look solid (Forza has found its own style)
AI is much better at avoiding you
Hard Difficulty provides a Challenge but is possible

Cons:
Damage seems even more limited than FM3 (Just scratch decals and light dents, high quality though)
Ingame cars are no where near showroom/autovista quality (Small improvement on FM3)

Heavy Damage (Sorry Photo quality isn't the best)

Car Detail (Switched to outside view and thought the textures hadn't loaded for a sec, just looked a bit flat.)

Overall I went in not expecting much, but came out pleasantly surprised. Off to try with a wheel now...

Seriously?

You need to hit the guide button and then play some music that you have on the hard disc or you can stick a usb stick with some music on into the xbox. Play then pause. Back to the game and the music should be gone.
I sure hope thats fixed for the full game. Music is the first thing I turn off. I dont have any custom sound tracks either.

Seriously?

Believe it or not, I've seen flat out "lol, this is just crap arcade GT wannabe" reviews floating arround here and there. This one seem fair enough to me. I don't agree with it in some places, but I can respect it.

DL'd it (Shhhh), played it, liked it... See you guys on track :)

Was annoyed at not being able to map the clutch to 'A', but hey, it's a demo.

^ from screenshots above, question: In what year did console/GPU hardware decide that Anti-Aliasing was no longer important?

So, after playing the demo, some impressions.

The menues are an improvement over the old ones. The game looks sleeker and, overall, appears more streasmlined and stylish on first glance.

The graphics are, as most know, vastly improved over FM3. The lighting is probably the biggest improvement, especially in cockpit view. It seems quite a bit more realistic than FM3, in my opinion. Also, most car models seem more detailed, which is especially evident if you get closer to an AI car and get a better look at the tail lights, for example.

Soundwise... Oh my god. Whether it's the Eliminator's roaring V8 or the screaming Pagani V12, the game sounds pretty darn impressive. But, aside from the engine sounds, the tyre squeals have also been improved, in my opinion. FM3 was good in that regard, so the difference isn't that big, but it's better than before, I think.

Damage also seems improved - mechanical damage, at least. It seems to be more sensitive than in FM3 and parts seem to get damaged both easier and more locally.

The handling, on the controller at least, is probably the biggest improvement over FM3. Proper throttle control now seems far more important than before, the cars tend to go into oversteer or understeer a lot easier now. It's also harder to catch a car if it oversteer, harder to recover from understeer and it seems more difficult to compensate for mistakes this time around. Also, things like body roll and weight transfer feel much more pronounced.

What can I say, there's not that much new stuff to report since Gamescom, but it feels great.

By the way, I like the "infinite cars mode". Lookign forward to using that on Fujimi Kaido.

Ok photos from a better camera this time. In terms of jaggies its more or less what I've come to expect from this gen of consoles, it's not that noticeable.

When I said "arcadey" I don't mean to say the physics are dumbed down. It's a more fun side of simulation, they do feel very good, maybe not the best.

Additional things I've found:
When you bump cars in front of you front wheels don't lock like in previous games.
Cockpit view is much more usable in FM4 now, I prefer it to chase and bumper.
AI cars aren't immovable objects now, they can be pushed or spun out if you'd want to.

2011-10-03170500.jpg

2011-10-03170515.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh yes, the camera made the difference. Now it's much more in line with what i've seen.

It feels like Forza is doing its own thing which I like, when most people think Forza should be more like GT and vice versa. Forza 4 just seems like a more arcadey fun game and it should stick to that.

This. People should stop comparing the 2, it's completely different games.

GT does it's things very good.
FM does it's things very good.

How hard can it be? :)

:drool:

I love rivals mode. I have never been that focused on anything; not even in a full game. The force feedback with simulation steering is magnificent. The physics feel great, the sounds are amazing, the lighting is crazy awesome, and the scenery is just wildly impressive.

About the track itself: it's so much :censored:ing fun. I love these high speed tracks, I love this car, I just love this demo.
The one part of the track that's a frequent bad spot for me is the turn right before the tunnel on the Zonda's layout. It's tough to nail the apex when I've got no reference point, but I get a little better with each lap.

Funny thing is, after I did each of the normal races once, I got bored and left the demo. Then I remembered Rivals mode, started it back up and went for a solid hour in the Zonda. So later when I've got time I'm going back to the Zonda and I will keep going until I'm at the top of my friends list. I'm currently .002 seconds from 1st.

Even the damn demo is enough to keep me happy for a week or 2, and it's only got those few cars and the one track, so I think when the full game hits I'll be set for many, many months to come.

I wish the mini-map was closer to my field of vision; I hate driving lines, so the mini-map is really helpful with learning a new track, but down in the corner like that just makes it very difficult to use.

I love the simulation physics...even with just a controller.

Those guys saying F4 is more fun...totally agree i think i have had more fun playing this demo than the 2 months i had GT5!

This pic is much closer which allows you to see it better but it is red and I hope you can see that if the car was much further away like the FM4 pic a few posts up that it would be much darker.

Red-Car-Trapped-300x225.jpg

Add to that the fact you have some reflecting light from the snow next to the car making the color standout a little more than it normally would.

Funny thing is, after I did each of the normal races once, I got bored and left the demo. Then I remembered Rivals mode, started it back up and went for a solid hour in the Zonda. So later when I've got time I'm going back to the Zonda and I will keep going until I'm at the top of my friends list. I'm currently .002 seconds from 1st.

So this means yo must have beatin my time. Back to the drawing board for me. I might even run a few laps during lunch. What was your time?

rik
Just a quick question, is xbox live down, as I cant sign in at all to get the demo. :(

Yep, seems so. Disconnected me sometime in the past few hours, and hasn't let me back on either.

Just as long has it isn't some BS hacker attack that lasts a month, I can deal without the demo leaderboards a bit.

Damn, what a difference from FM3! While the videos look good, experiencing it is way better. It is much more alive. The cockpit is totally different than the lame FM3. It looks worlds better and the FOV is just right. The chase cam is also better, not too far like in FM3 or too close like in FM2. Yes, I like using the chase cam for drifting or just laying back with a game pad.

Like what everyone is saying, the whole thing is better. This is just a small taste, so far I am loving it. It reminds me of Shift. Meaning that it is not boring.

If you are a hater, fanboy, or a sim-snob, you will appreciate nothing and nothing will impress you.

damn, what a difference from fm3! While the videos look good, experiencing it is way better. It is much more alive. The cockpit is totally different than the lame fm3. It looks worlds better and the fov is just right. The chase cam is also better, not too far like in fm3 or too close like in fm2. Yes, i like using the chase cam for drifting or just laying back with a game pad.

Like what everyone is saying, the whole thing is better. This is just a small taste, so far i am loving it. It reminds me of shift. Meaning that it is not boring.

If you are a hater, fanboy, or a sim-snob, you will appreciate nothing and nothing will impress you.

+1

Damn. That sucks, especially for those who just downloaded the demo or were about to. I was planning on running a few laps with the Zonda on my lunch break but I guess that will have to wait.

Bugger it. This makes me all the more annoyed that they pissed about with the demo releasing it to people a few days early. Did they know XBL would be down, it does say 'scheduled' maintenance, on the day where everyone would be most likely downloading the demo of one of the most anticipated AAA titles of recent times?

Thought it was slow, my download didn't finish before it went down. Arse.

This. People should stop comparing the 2, it's completely different games.

GT does it's things very good.
FM does it's things very good.

How hard can it be? :)

Yeah. I mean, it's not like both of them aren't sim racing games, or have many of the same ethos.

Back