Forza 8 Cinematic Story

• Thread starter KRATOS8MS
  • 16 comments
I think it would be a neat idea if Turn 10 is planning to make the career mode in FM8 a journey; an adventure to become the best by going through a series of events like in TOCA 3 (my fav) with cutscenes in between to further the storyline. Heck, it can even borrow some elements from PCARS 2, if needed. If we can choose our own paths in career mode, that'd be even better.

It's not like T10 are putting ALL their effort into making this mode like many thinks. Instead, they have a different team of people that is working on it I imagine.

This also shows that Turn 10 haven't abandoned single player mode like PD did with GTS, so I am grateful of that. Plus, with the amount cars Forza has, it should be a fun and diverse experience in terms of cars and disciplines (such as GT classes, Rally, Road racing, etc.) Tracks will need to play a big part as well.

Whatever cinematic story T10 is going for, I imagine it would be fun but hopefully not tedious via the events like in FM7. Again, if we can choose our own paths throughout the story like in TOCA 3, or even FM3/FM4, that'd be great!

Oh, and lots not forget to have a Event List if people don't want to do the career mode. More options for everyone is always good. 👍

Last edited:
A potential problem with this is how to make an interesting story about racing cars that actually enhances the game rather than making it feel awkward.

Building a story around a game is arguably trickier than building a game around a story.

Not sure if including a cinematic story is the right call. Yes, radical change is needed for Forza Motorsport, but IMHO the career mode needs to be rejigged to function like a proper motorsports ladder; starting from entry level series and touring cars right up to IMSA and Indycar. Use of a story mode would be more suited to the Horizon sandbox.

I second @AudiMan2011 's thoughts in the sense that is story mode suits Horizon more than it does the Motorsport series. With that said, the Motorsport Series is getting pretty stale for me so I wouldn't mind a different approach being taken in the single-player campaign.

What's more, a game with characters and cinematic cutscenes makes for better trailer material, which is handy when you are luring people to buying a next-gen console. ;)

Until they can do something to make the on-track racing better, I don't really see how adding some cutscenes would help the game much outside of entertaining a few casuals and children.

The Motorsport series is stale because they haven't done anything to improve the actual racing since... well basically FM1, and if anything it has gotten worse. We still have no strategy, no vehicle management, and a draft that is broken. Combine that with silly short races where you basically have to force your way to the front by throwing endless divebombs (or turn down the difficulty in single player).

The AI is another factor in this on the single player/career side of things. In it's current state the AI isn't much fun to race with, and I don't see how some cutscenes would make them any more fun to race against.

I guess it could be seen as being negative, because maybe they have worked on these things for FM8... but given how little they have done for the last 7 titles I think it's perfectly fair to be very skeptical.

Not sure if including a cinematic story is the right call. Yes, radical change is needed for Forza Motorsport, but IMHO the career mode needs to be rejigged to function like a proper motorsports ladder; starting from entry level series and touring cars right up to IMSA and Indycar. Use of a story mode would be more suited to the Horizon sandbox.

That would be a great idea.
I also would like an option to build my own garage, expand as needed, eventually building a car shop facility like big race teams have...... Pay for it through credits earned from racing.
Kinda like the Homestead from Assassin's Creed series. Can also rent out unused space to create income.

I like the idea of having a story (I really liked R: Racing on the PS2) but they could end up going down Codemaster's route of accidentally making a crap game in the process (TOCA Race Driver 2, Grid 2...)

Bumping this because we're close to a potential reveal of the game and I think it's an interesting discussion.

I feel like this won't be something big/over the top, more a supplementary selection of cutscenes and cinematics to get you into the career mode. Maybe a main rival will be included too, but I don't think it'll be a NFS the Run sequel. I reckon that could be a nice refresher/injection to a pretty stale career mode that we've received over the past 3 titles. Hopefully we'll seem something on the 23rd!

A cinematic hire doesn't necessarily mean that a story mode is coming.

Depending on the studio, "cinematics" could simply mean all of the non-driving scenes, like splash screens, pre-race intros, replays, spectating etc. Heck, it could even be a person whose main aim is to direct trailers.

Depends largely on if the role is creatively driven or more technical.

I could see it working as a celebration and history of motoring and motorsports. Maybe do it by decades. An intro that talks about the changes and improvements of that decade, race a few cars from it, and move on to the next. Introduce new events and styles as they appeared IRL. Start from the 1920s and end it during the 2020s. "A Century Of Racing".

I mean, I miss Forza Vista, and being able to get a narrated tour of certain cars. I would love to see it return in some form.

Back