Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 16,908 comments

We have Horizon Apex, for tarmac events. All fully customizable in EventLab. I still would like to know if EventLab will let me create something as simple as a solo/single-player time trial, around a circuit or point-to-point track.

yeah time trails not a bad idea for events. but isnt rivals kinda like that? though u race against other player times. or u talking about a checkpoint style time trail like in nfs?

what i think is a fun one will be a time trail run similar to the older test drive games where u have to make it to a checkpoint within the right amount of time or lose while still competing against other cars.

Last edited:
yeah time trails not a bad idea for events. but isnt rivals kinda like that? though u race against other player times. or u talking about a checkpoint style time trail like in nfs?

what i think is a fun one will be a time trail run similar to the older test drive games where u have to make it to a checkpoint within the right amount of time or lose while still competing against other cars.
I want just hot-lapping around a circuit or doing a point-to-point, timed run. Offline, please, as Rivals requires a connection. It's the simplest of events, yet couldn't be done before, at least as far as FH3 and FH4 are concerned.

Last edited:
I want just hot-lapping around a circuit or doing a point-to-point, timed run. Offline, please, as Rivals requires a connection. It's the simplest of events, yet couldn't be done before, at least as far as FH3 and FH4 are concerned.
Something I've always wanted to have in Horizon is the ability to do offline time trials and compare laptimes among cars. That combined with custom tracks would be a dream.

Also, it would be awesome if we could do modes like Elimination, Beat the Clock w/ checkpoints, etc with the event triggers they've talked about.

Last edited:

We have Horizon Apex, for tarmac events. All fully customizable in EventLab. I still would like to know if EventLab will let me create something as simple as a solo/single-player time trial, around a circuit or point-to-point track.

The way that tweet's worded, I presume we're still required to use the pre-designated starting points for existing events when creating our own. I'm sure it's a valid technical reason why that is, like ensuring the game has enough space to properly set up a full grid of cars, but that's still a rather limiting factor.

Though to be honest, all I really want is for them to make the AI cars smart enough to not fall for that "place a checkpoint, drive 2 miles off into a field, then come back to the road and place the next checkpoint 100 yards ahead of the previous one" nonsense that people love to abuse so much.

The way that tweet's worded, I presume we're still required to use the pre-designated starting points for existing events when creating our own. I'm sure it's a valid technical reason why that is, like ensuring the game has enough space to properly set up a full grid of cars, but that's still a rather limiting factor.

Though to be honest, all I really want is for them to make the AI cars smart enough to not fall for that "place a checkpoint, drive 2 miles off into a field, then come back to the road and place the next checkpoint 100 yards ahead of the previous one" nonsense that people love to abuse so much.
I don't think any reason they could give for its limitations is adequately defensible. GTA Online had a far better course creator many years ago. It was both more intuitive and more robust - and racing is just a minor part of that game. The one in FH4 is both a chore to use and severely limited.

I also, which I think you are alluding to, really dislike how the drivatars just map their racing line to the line you happened to drive while building the course. That's just a lazy implementation of open world AI driving and makes me think that all of the drivatar actions are similarly scripted. I remember the game SODA Off Road Racing (by papyrus, eventual developers of Iracing) had a really robust course creator tool (including topography!) way back in 1997. When you completed a course, the AI attempted to "learn" it. If it was too complex, it wouldn't work and you would have to simplify the course. But what it meant was that the AI actually figured out the fast way around the course. Again, this is 1997 MS-DOS.

Potential topics for Lets Go stream 8

• Deep dive into Vehicle customization (hoping for this)
  • New to Forza vehicle showcase (unlikely)
  • Deep dive into EventLAB
  • Deep dive into Festival Playlist (I'd expect this closer to launch)
  • Another showcase/campaign focused stream, showing dirt/cross country racing (which we haven't seen yet)
  • Deep dive into Horizon Arcade (forzathon live replacement)
  • Deep dive into Horizon Tour
  • Deep dive into PVP (Horizon Open)
  • Deep dive into Radio Stations (probably not one whole show but a decent portion of one)

Last edited:
Potential topics for Lets Go stream 8

• Deep dive into Vehicle customization (hoping for this)
  • New to Forza vehicle showcase (unlikely)
  • Deep dive into EventLAB
  • Deep dive into Festival Playlist (I'd expect this closer to launch)
  • Another showcase/campaign focused stream, showing dirt/cross country racing (which we haven't seen yet)
  • Deep dive into Horizon Arcade (forzathon live replacement)
  • Deep dive into Horizon Tour
  • Deep dive into PVP (Horizon Open)
Whenever anyone asks about the music and the radio stations, we're told details will be revealed later, so maybe next week's show will be the "later".

Yeah, I expect it to be sometime in October, but I can hope. 😉

I sincerely hope that we will find out more about the livery editor.
We have no idea what level of change they mean by "overhaul".
The details of this feature is the decision point for me to buy FH5 or stop playing the Forza series.

I sincerely hope that we will find out more about the livery editor.
We have no idea what level of change they mean by "overhaul".
The details of this feature is the decision point for me to buy FH5 or stop playing the Forza series.
Hope so too. At least we know one of its upgrades is for next gen console (and prob pc too) is a higher resolution for custom designs so custom logos and such will have smoother lines.

I also hope and I'm sure many agree is ability to put decals on windows.

Last edited:
SVG decals is my only wish. Just something scalable after all these years would help. I lost momentum for making decals long before GT Sport, which compounded the issue.

Not to deny @VXR's suggestion, but I'm worried about the opposite, which would be svg import.
I have a PC with not very high specs and cannot create complex svg files.
If Forza livery becomes the same system as GT Sport, I will be paying thousands of dollars for a new PC, and even more for an expensive subscpriction for Adobe. (I know and used to use Inkscape, but it doesn't work properly in my current environment, and its features are inferior to Illustrator.)

If they adopt svg import, I will stop playing this series.

I have a PC with not very high specs and cannot create complex svg files.
If Forza livery becomes the same system as GT Sport, I will be paying thousands of dollars for a new PC, and even more for an expensive subscpriction for Adobe. (I know and used to use Inkscape, but it doesn't work properly in my current environment, and its features are inferior to Illustrator.)

If they adopt svg import, I will stop playing this series.

You...you do realize that there is a very active SVG request thread on the GT board where someone could do it for you if you're that worried about your computer not being able to handle the load, and if Forza did adopt it, the same thing would crop up here?

This is histrionics of the highest order, jesus christ. If anything, by this point you seem to be done with the series already. So why not just cut the cord?

I'm pretty sure the major reason they haven't ever updated the livery editor was because Turn 10 and/or Microsoft didn't want to deal with an anticipated deluge of copyright claims or devote the resources to actively finding and removing blatantly offensive content. But the community has been mostly good about self-policing such things in recent years and Polyphony obviously isn't getting swarmed by legal pirahnas, so allowing image uploads now wouldn't cause a huge scandal or anything.

I mean...I haven't heard of any requests for taking down a livery because of copyrighted content, in either GT Sport or any of the Forza games since I started playing them mostly full time (so around Horizon 3) so it isn't that. I also doubt the 'lack of desire to moderate for offensive content' because like you said, in GT Sport there seems to be a good amount of self-policing with regards to livery content. The flip side of that though is that GT Sport is more so a sim oriented title, and so there isn't as many blank canvas vehicles (or any place to show them off except cruise lobbies) so that probably skews things. Yet Playground does have a moderation team, considering they have this enforcement guidelines on the Support page, so it isn't that either.

I really, truly believe that it is more of an issue of T10 being lead on any large scale changes to Forza that would benefit both series (so physics, anything relating to Forzatech, and in this case the livery editor) and rather wanting any sort of large scale changes to go through them, and more then likely, take effect with Motorsport 8. Which, like I get, but at the same time, it's incredibly obvious the system needed to be overhauled yesterday. GT has outclassed you, and offered something which makes liveries that much more realistic then fiddling with basic shapes and going 'close enough'. Very little has changed behind the scenes to make the system any more intuitive, which is a shame considering that NFS since 2015 has made a livery editor that is very simple to use for even people like me.

What is the reasoning for waffling on it? If it truly is T10 wanting to save it for Forza 8, then that's a real cop out move.

I really hope the Livery Editor is improved beyond what PG has already described, but the cynic in me believes they would have shown it off already if it was a complete overhaul with SVG import etc. I fear you may be right @Silver Arrows with T10 holding out for FM8. But who knows how long away that is...

Likewise with improved Photomode features (PG did bring in some nice features post FH4 launch but The Crew 2's feature set still outshines it by quite some margin) and improved video recording/replay system (which again is outclassed by TC2).

There's been little to no mention of these features improving so I'm going to assume they're staying largely the same, which is disappointing.

I think the fact that livery editing hasn't updated much is something less technical and more playerbase-driven. It's simple as this: ever since the OG Xbox era Forzas, one of the big drawing points about the livery editor was "look what amazing things you can create with limited resources," and painters took a lot of pride in being able to make a perfect logo or design recreation with just a bunch of squares and crescents and stuff. I admit that I get a kick out of being able to get the font on an iconic logo just right, even if it's recreating something as simple as the Mooneyes insignia or a rally plate.

I also admit that 101 times out of 100, I'd rather be able to scan a period-correct, high-resolution sponsor or manufacturer logo instead of having to concoct something in the livery editor -- or, even worse, try and find a good one in shared designs when 90% of people just use the default Arial-oid font. So I'd love to see the system updated, even though I feel like the fact that they only figured out how to do shape masking partway through FH4 makes me wonder how willing they are to really switch things up or allow for SVGs. Maybe have a separate section for them like they do with their "Manufacturer" decals.

I once had a copyright claim for one of my liveries… I have been using a Logo of a smaller German brand and posted the full livery on Forza Facebook Page. Two weeks after that I got a massage that told me to remove the photo and the in-game livery or there will be legal actions. It was a replica of a Porsche race car I had as a kid..

I once had a copyright claim for one of my liveries… I have been using a Logo of a smaller German brand and posted the full livery on Forza Facebook Page. Two weeks after that I got a massage that told me to remove the photo and the in-game livery or there will be legal actions. It was a replica of a Porsche race car I had as a kid..
If it was sent as a Facebook message then I can guarantee it was 105% false. No reputable company would use such an informal method of contact for something legal related.

Late to the party, being able to import SVG’s is the only way I’m getting FH5. Been doing game skins of WW2 aircraft and would love to be able to do similar work with cars.

Join us for the September Edition of Forza Monthly! We’ll preview the Forza Horizon 4 Series 40 update, show off the new Forza Horizon 5 Livery Editor, hear from Rudeism – Forza streamer and custom controller builder – in our Community Spotlight, run down the latest community events, get another update on Forza Motorsport, and more!

Last edited:
Back