Forza Horizon Demo Trailer 9th October

So you can go back the the Viper race? I couldn't find it?
Need. more. demo. time! Screw that, I'm ready for the full game :D

You can't go back to the first race BUT they have another race with the viper to test your skills again

Hey guys

Has anyone played the demo with "Manual & Clutch?" I read an article on Forza Planet saying that there is no mechanical damage so I assume the gear box can't be wrecked if you forget the clutch.

So just wondering what happens if you don't use the clutch to shift? Does it still shift? Or does it slip back to neutral like it does in GT5?

Thanks.

It will do exactly what it did in FM4, but without the damage. So it'll hesitate and bounce off the limiter in neutral for a second before connecting with the desired gear, punishing you in the sense that you've lost a bit of speed, but that's all. Hope that helps :)

It will do exactly what it did in FM4, but without the damage. So it'll hesitate and bounce off the limiter in neutral for a second before connecting with the desired gear, punishing you in the sense that you've lost a bit of speed, but that's all. Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much for that. That's exactly what I wanted to know :)

Is it possible to free roam from the very start without having to do any of the races? I just want to relax and just explore the beautiful scenery.

You can free run after the first Evo race, just cancel the waypoint to the Mustang race (though I recommend it, as it's a nice ribbon of road).

I just managed 388th in the Rivals event there though, so it's probably that talking :D

np. Now that I have actually put time into the demo, I will quote you again since that reply is on the previous page.

I've posted this on Forzamotorsport.net:

So, I've downloaded and played the demo for a bit - and a wee bit of FM4, too, in order to drive a stock Evo for comparison's sake.

And with all due respect, I don't get the whole "OMG PREORDER CANCELLED!!!!11one" comments. Sure, there is a difference, but I'd say that it's nowhere near as dramatic as some folks on here make it out to be. At least not as far as the driving physics are concerned, in my opinion - with all assists off in both games, obviously.

So, some observations:

1) FH feels A LOT like FM4, just somewhat grippier. The Evo X with Sport Tyres feels quite close to the one in FH, as long as they're being driven in the same way. In general, I'd say that FH isn't quite as good as FM4, as far as driving physics are concerned, but it's definitely better than any other opeen world racing game I've played so far. By far. You know, with recent games like NFS: Shift 2 that pass as 'Sims', the huge backlash on here seems utterly moronic. Because, even compared to these kind of games, FH's physics don't seem bad at all. And, even though this might provoke some folks: I'd say that the Evo still feels more alive than most cars in, say, Gran Turismo 5.

So, is it as good as good as FM4? No, not really. But still darn good, especially for what it is.

2) Depending on how you're driving, the game might feel more or less arcade-like to you. Collisions are towned down considerably, which, I think, is the biggest difference between the two games. As such, you've got the option to either slam into a guard rail and abuse the forgiving crash physics to actually be faster than you would've been by driving cleanly. Don't do so, though, and it already feels less arcadey. It's up to you to abuse the 'simplified' crash physics or try to drive as cleanly as you would in FM4. Well, I suppose that it's somewhat inconvenient to have to stick to self-imposed limitations, but that's what I'm going to do.

TL;DR: Drive arcadey, feel arcadey.

3) The 30FPS feel rather smooth. Better than a fluctuating 60FPS, but I've been saying so for a while and in regard to other games. The graphics, in general, seem to be a notch below FM4 - which is to be expected, given that there's quite a bit more going on on the screen at all times. However, the scenery is pretty spectecular. The lighting is ok, worse than FM4, better than FM3. And, well, driving at night doesn't look as good as it did in Gran Turismo 5 or NFS: Shift 2. However, it's still very good for an open world game.

So, yeah, graphics are decent. Not breathtakingly beautiful in comparison to circuit racers, but the scenery will make up for that.

4) Well, the sound isn't bad. I somewhat like the music selection, but prefer the radio to be off, actually. The engine sounds are pretty muffled, though, but I'll have to mess with the audio settings anyways. Same with the HUD options, though. Not much to say here, though.

So, to summarize, I'm happy with Forza Horizon. It's not as simmy as FM4, but definitely more simmy than any other open world game I'vee played to date. It's even more simmy than some games that like to call themselves a 'simulation' of sorts. It's definitely more about having fun than about replicating reality, but it still does the letter well enough to feel 'authentic'.

I went into the demo with some relatively high expectations. And yes, I did indeed hope that the game would feel 100% like FM4. It's more around the 85% mark, but given that other open world racers would come in at about 40%, at best, that doesn't seem half bad. But, then again, I've not been excited for Horizon because I want to drive my cars at a 10/10 pace with perfectly realistic physics, but because I want to drive and enjoy myself in a very scenic environment, an environment that FM4 isn't able to provide me with.

So, is FH perfect? No. Is Horizon better than I expected? No. Is it as good as I hoped it would be? No. Is it still good enough that I can see myself putting 300 hours into it, just because it's fun to play it? Yes, absolutely. The physics not being 100% of FM4 ensures I'll be playing both games, just to get the best out of both worlds. Which I would've done, anyways, as FM4 offers things that FH doesn't, and vice versa.

In short, Forza Horizon doesn't seem like a replacement for FM4 or FM5. But it seems like a valuable and enjoyable additon to the franchise. Whether that's enough is up to everybody to decide for themselves. I'll say this, though: If you expected FM4 levels of quality in every single aspect of the game, with no compromises due to the utter scope of it, that's not the game's fault.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on the full game.
I played the demo and I agree with this 100%. I will add that the pre and post race screen layouts remind me a lot of GRID or DIRT. As a massive Forza fan I think this will be a great rental but I just cant see it as a purchase for me. As I said before this is a beta test for T10 to take the cars off the circuit tracks and out into the open world. While it is not full open world freedom, it is a great start. Map is quite small at only 64 sq miles but I am sure dlc might expand the size. Horizon 2 will probably be out in 2 years and I am sure T10 will make some massive improvements toward the open world racing genre. 👍

VXR
I'm now quite worried about the map size, when we've been given one area of free roam, which doesn't seem massive, yet it's near to the other parts of the map. It might not matter in the full game and I hope it doesn't, but it certainly doesn't have the feel of a huge map.

Now that I have had some time to play it I have to say that was my first thought when I opened up the map. I think the people that are looking for a game to just cruise around with their buddy's, they might be a little dissapointed.The exploration aspect of it might get a little redundant.

When you see pictures of the map with all of the events on it it looks like there will be plenty to do. If your buying the game for event's,CHB rival's and photo contest you might be satisfied.T10 IMO have always done a good job at keeping you busy.

As far as the game goes I think it feels pretty good, races were fun, scenery
was beautiful. Cars felt good a little more grip but I was still able to get rear to break loose in the Viper. The mustang vs mustang event was okay but scripted, I lost it in one corner had to go into rev. and straighten back out and still beat the plane. Never the less it was still fun.

Oh yeah one other thing anyone else think the cockpit view looks kinda like a cartoon.

I had fun with the demo, it was refreshing. Nothing new to say that hasn't been said about it already. I will def pick this game up, it's actually the game i've been waiting for for a long time, open world, with pretty realistic physics.

On a side note: on the cell tower race with the viper, did anyone notice the fork in the road after crossing the dam? It brings you on a little loop back to the same place, but it is a very cool little road with lots of twisties. Also a nice pull over spot with a beautiful vista. Can someone do a time lapse from this spot from dusk to dusk, would be sweet!!

EDIT: Actually the side path forks after the sharp left hairpin turn after you cross under the huge bridge, it then loops you back to the fork after the dam.

VXR
I'm now quite worried about the map size, when we've been given one area of free roam, which doesn't seem massive, yet it's near to the other parts of the map. It might not matter in the full game and I hope it doesn't, but it certainly doesn't have the feel of a huge map.
Its been confirmed the Horizon map is only about 64 sq miles. Yes indeed VERY small. I am guessing they might increase the map? If they dont with Horizon they sure as heck will with Horizon 2 when it comes out in 2 years. I guarantee it will be at least 2-3 times larger and that will be how they market the game. "Horizon 2 is at least 2-3 times larger than Horizon 1" Or maybe even larger than that. As I said before, this is a beta for T10 in a good way. The next Horizon will be miles ahead of this one. I have been a fan of T10 since Forz 1. I know exactly how their marketing works. Next game will be much larger and maybe finally have weather.

Its been confirmed the Horizon map is only about 64 sq miles. Yes indeed VERY small. I am guessing they might increase the map? If they dont with Horizon they sure as heck will with Horizon 2 when it comes out in 2 years. I guarantee it will be at least 2-3 times larger and that will be how they market the game. "Horizon 2 is at least 2-3 times larger than Horizon 1" Or maybe even larger than that. As I said before, this is a beta for T10 in a good way. The next Horizon will be miles ahead of this one. I have been a fan of T10 since Forz 1. I know exactly how their marketing works. Next game will be much larger and maybe finally have weather.

I wouldn't say 64 square miles is small, they could cram a huge amount of Tarmac in that space. It's not the biggest but it has its advantages else where like in the physics department, that gravel race felt amazing on my fanatecwheel gt2 with some of the best ffb I have felt.

I wouldn't say 64 square miles is small, they could cram a huge amount of Tarmac in that space. It's not the biggest but it has its advantages else where like in the physics department, that gravel race felt amazing on my fanatecwheel gt2 with some of the best ffb I have felt.
From judging the full map, it is quite small especially for that genre and especially since you cant free roam the entire map. But thats fine, it will get bigger with each game they release as I just said. Yes the physics are very good for sure. Not quite as good as F4 but they are still very good.
As for them cramming a huge amount of tarmac, I posted a pic in the pictures thread that clearly shows its not crammed with tarmac. But you are right the physics are nice. Cant wait to see these physics in a bigger version of Horizon.

Not going to put up a big review, enough has already been said.

Just want to say the game is what I expected and I'm glad I pre-ordered the LCE. I will be picking it up day one and having plenty of fun with it.

2) Depending on how you're driving, the game might feel more or less arcade-like to you. Collisions are towned down considerably, which, I think, is the biggest difference between the two games. As such, you've got the option to either slam into a guard rail and abuse the forgiving crash physics to actually be faster than you would've been by driving cleanly. Don't do so, though, and it already feels less arcadey. It's up to you to abuse the 'simplified' crash physics or try to drive as cleanly as you would in FM4. Well, I suppose that it's somewhat inconvenient to have to stick to self-imposed limitations, but that's what I'm going to do.

TL;DR: Drive arcadey, feel arcadey.

Couldn't agree more. Try to race and NOT crash into anything, even the other cars racing you! And thats how I am trying to play this game and it is a challenge!!

If you wanna just mess around and play and drive unrealistically, then thats what it will feel like. I like the balance they have found physics wise, with all aids off, its still tough, those undulations really mess up the cars balance, especially in the Mustang and Viper races.

Will the demo be open for those who don't have Gold Membership? I think it should, but it won't have the bonus Viper included.

Exactly. I still don't know why people are judging the size by "square" miles. :odd: Square miles means almost nothing. Miles of road is whats important. A game that is 64 sq miles can still have more miles of road than a game that is 200 sq miles.

Exactly. I still don't know why people are judging the size by "square" miles. :odd: Square miles means almost nothing. Miles of road is whats important. A game that is 64 sq miles can still have more miles of road than a game that is 200 sq miles.
Going by sq miles is very common for games that are supposed to be open world or sandbox. The marketing has led us to believe this is open world. But now we know it isnt. Since this isnt even an open world game saying 64 sq miles is VERY generous since you cant even explore all 64 sq miles. So I guess you are right. For Horizon it now makes no sense to explain it in sq miles since we cant even explore the entire map. I am just used to explaining open world maps in sq miles because they all allow you to explore the entire map.

Does anyone know the amount of linear miles we can explore in Horizon? I thought I heard Dan mention this in an interview but cant remember what he said. Seems like someone said 20 linear miles which is about 1 lap around the Nurburgring. But that cant be right. I am pretty sure its bigger than that. Judging by the map it seems like it might be around 200 linear miles but I am only guessing. Which is still very very small. I am still looking forward to checking it out. And I really do hope they expand the map with DLC.

2d485644.jpg

Hi! just joined the forum, this is my 1st post!:)

Im from the other side...(..by that, i mean im usually on GTplanet!:lol:)

I really enjoyed the demo and i preordered the game at gameatation today!

Going by sq miles is very common for games that are supposed to be open world or sandbox. The marketing has led us to believe this is open world. But now we know it isnt. Since this isnt even an open world game saying 64 sq miles is VERY generous since you cant even explore all 64 sq miles. So I guess you are right. For Horizon it now makes no sense to explain it in sq miles since we cant even explore the entire map. I am just used to explaining open world maps in sq miles because they all allow you to explore the entire map.
So basically, because you were hyped into thinking Horizon would let you drive anywhere and climb mountains in Ferraris or drive your Veyron into a lake, the term "open world" must now be redefined to exclude anything that so much as hints to the presence of a walled-off area.

I guess NFS Underground 2, Carbon, Most Wanted, and the Hot Pursuit reboot, the Midnight Club series, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, Burnout Paradise, and now Forza Horizon are all just "racing games with intersections and traffic in them."

Played the Demo for a little while yesterday with my CSR Wheel and "kinda" enjoyed the experience.....the first chance I got I took off the aids..but has anyone messed with the settings like the deadzones and what not??..if so what did you put them too.....Going to give the demo another shot in a couple days...Realy not enough of road to play with..but I want to see what my wheel can do with what they give me...thanx

So basically, because you were hyped into thinking Horizon would let you drive anywhere and climb mountains in Ferraris or drive your Veyron into a lake, the term "open world" must now be redefined to exclude anything that so much as hints to the presence of a walled-off area.

I guess NFS Underground 2, Carbon, Most Wanted, and the Hot Pursuit reboot, the Midnight Club series, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, Burnout Paradise, and now Forza Horizon are all just "racing games with intersections and traffic in them."
Exactly. Well a couple of those were fairly close to being free roam because you could actually jump through, or onto buildings which allowed you to explore more of the map than just the roads. You could even jump down entire mountains from one road to another from building to building. Lots of vertical gameplay too. But you get the point. Horizon is probaby THE most limited out of that list other than the new Hot Pursuit reboot. I would say in terms of open world freedom, Horizon is most comparable to the new Hot Pursuit. Not talking physics, I am talking the freedom. The more I think about it the more those 2 games have in common in a good way. I liked Hot Pursuit a lot. In fact I still have it. It was a very enjoyable christmas present a couple years ago that I still havent finished.

Played the demo a little bit yesterday. Came out feeling so-so about FH. I'm more into real world tracks and circuit racing so I knew I wouldn't get this with FH. But I must say I was having a bit of fun with FH. I pre-ordered the standard edition and won't be canceling nor changing it and I highly doubt I'll get any DLC for this game. I have some gripes with the 'in your face bro' style of menus and play. It's what I didn't like in Dirt2 as I loved the simplicity of Dirt1 and FH is all over the place with this, with the music (which I don't mind), with the explosions at the gates, menus, etc. I also don't like the casual style gameplay where you're rewarded for bad driving like scraping walls and wreckage. But I sort of expected this and knowing that I think I'll have fun with it and I'll just deal with it, and still be playing GT5 and FM4 for my console sim needs.

Physics wise I'm not sure what to think of it. It feels like FM4 but doesn't at the same time. Sound wise it sounds like FM4 but muffled and dialed down a smidge. The car list so far looks good but I was expecting more to be honest. I need the final game to think more out of it. Overall I think this will be a fun game to play, just not my normal cup of tea. Played it all with a pad, will give it a go some time this week with my CSR

One thing I thought was strange is that I was driving the Evo at night time and went to the rally race, and the race started up in pitch day light.

@cuco33: You can turn the flashing point counter off in the HUD menu, just like the similar feature in FM4.

Exactly. Well a couple of those were fairly close to being free roam because you could actually jump through, or onto buildings which allowed you to explore more of the map than just the roads. You could even jump down entire mountains from one road to another from building to building. Lots of vertical gameplay too. But you get the point. Horizon is probaby THE most limited out of that list other than the new Hot Pursuit reboot.
I've never defined "open world" by whether or not you could cover every lateral square foot on the map. FULL free roam, as I tend to refer to it, is always nice. I was really hoping Horizon would have it, considering the SUVs/trucks the Forza franchise has picked up. But it was never promised.

We're lucky we get the golf course and the multitude of other open rough spots, several within the demo area already. Hot Pursuit doesn't let you flip your Evo up a rocky slope like a skateboard or jump grassy knolls in farm fields.

Back