Forza - HORIZON

So ive been taking a little break from playing Forza horizon for about a week or so (ive been playing WRC3) im going to be back on Forza horizon tomorrow and ill be trying a few online races for the first time as ive heard you get cars and credits for winning the races..

..but ive never raced online on any game before..ever!..and im a little nervous..:scared::scared:

There's no need to be nervous. You'll most likely be dealing with lots and lots of morons who can't drive if their live depended on it, anyways.

Just got 100% completion after having put a little over 24 hours of driving time total in the single player game. If I didn't do all the festival events on hard (which meant I didn't always come in first and had to re-do them), I probably would have finished it in less time. I don't know if it has been pointed out here yet, but apparently if you have gotten to popularity rank 1 you can fill the rank bar again (although this time it takes much more longer than previously) to get 500,000 credits, which I've been told can be repeated over and over again. However, given the length it takes I've also heard you're probably better off doing some of Ali Howard's higher tier street races to make just as much money in way less time.

Well after playing MW2012 I have grown to appreciate the size of Horizons 63 sq mile map. Because MW2012 is only about 30-36 sq miles max. :dunce:
Overall I feel Horizon is the better game by a longshot. I honestly feel MW2012 might be THE biggest disappointment for me for 2012. Oh well thats why its always to rent. 👍

So when Horizon drops in price to around $30.00 I will pick it up. The rental was fun for sure and they truly nailed the physics in Horizon.

Agree with this 100%. I bought and returned NFS:MW, it's utter trash. Been going to my buddys hosue to play Horizon instead. There is no contest, Horizon is better than Most wanted in every single way. Just don't understand how Criterion could have ****ed up so badly since Hot Pursuit was so good. I've just gone back to playing it and Horizon (when I'm at my friends house, I don't own an xbox)

I think horizon is as good with Pad. I tested the game couple of days and did not like FFB with Fanatec turbo S. But remember that I do not also like FFB in F4. FFB seemed same as F4 but with more input lag which of course comes from using 30fps opposed to 60fps of F4.

I started playing FH for a couple of days with a controller as I didn't feel like setting up my Fanatec, but the game for me is so much better with a good wheel. It was fun with a controller but doesn't draw me in like the wheel experience!

I started playing FH for a couple of days with a controller as I didn't feel like setting up my Fanatec, but the game for me is so much better with a good wheel. It was fun with a controller but doesn't draw me in like the wheel experience!

This game with a wheel (Fanatec CSR) is absolutely awesome.

Yes, I wish there were some additions (AI in multiplayer, bigger world), but I think it's a great effort and well worth the switch over to the 360. FH, and NOT FM4, brought me over (although I do have FM4 now:tup:)

I wonder... Can you do the final Horizon race over and over again? If so, what car should I use?
You can, but you won't get the insane amount of cash again.

Personally, I don't like most of the available R1 cars - but the F50GT and the Radical SR8 SR handdle exceedingly well and are both easy and fun to drive. They're among the very few R1 cars that I actually like. The F50GT ist the better alrounder, due to its higher top speed and soesn't suffer from the annoying rev-banging that comes with the Radical.

I've set Horizon aside because I'm waiting for my CSR Elite to arrive. Can't wait, I've heard great things about playing this with a wheel.

You can, but you won't get the insane amount of cash again.

Personally, I don't like most of the available R1 cars - but the F50GT and the Radical SR8 SR handdle exceedingly well and are both easy and fun to drive. They're among the very few R1 cars that I actually like. The F50GT ist the better alrounder, due to its higher top speed and soesn't suffer from the annoying rev-banging that comes with the Radical.

What about the Pagani Zonda R? Heard it's a good all around R1 car, or maybe I can just use my [R1 972] Noble M600?

I didn't care for the Horizon game much. I did preorder it and really tried to like it but just couldn't get into it at all. Basically a poor attempt to turn Forza into NFS. After trying to play it on 3 different days I loaned the game to my brother to see if he would like it and after he also decided he did not like it I traded it in on a Madden game.

No real tracks, no tuning, very arcadey = should not have a Forza title.

It was said long before the game's release that Horizon would be nothing like Motorsport. That being said, it's a spinoff. If the game was called FM5 instead, I would agree with you. If you approach this game expecting it to be like Motorsport, then there's a high chance you'll be disappointed because that's not what the game is trying to be.

And I don't see how this game is trying to be like NFS. A lot of the game's elements are not exclusive to NFS and can be found in other racing titles.

Last edited:
What about the Pagani Zonda R? Heard it's a good all around R1 car, or maybe I can just use my [R1 972] Noble M600?
You could, of course, use whatever car takes your fancy. The Zonda R isn't bad, either. The F50GT feels quite similar, actually - it's a wee bit better in every regard. Aside from outright top speed, maybe.

Darn, it seems almost half the pack for Dec. are carry overs from Forza 4. I guess if you don't have that game, you might be more excited for it.

It was said long before the game's release that Horizon would be nothing like Motorsport. That being said, it's a spinoff. If the game was called FM5 instead, I would agree with you. If you approach this game expecting it to be like Motorsport, then there's a high chance you'll be disappointed because that's not what the game is trying to be.
I played the demo but was still very surprised to find that there was no tuning options at all in the full game. very dissapointing and very poor choice on thier part.

And I don't see how this game is trying to be like NFS. A lot of the game's elements are not exclusive to NFS and can be found in other racing titles.
Sure but NFS is the most popular of that type of game and having played several other NFS titles in the past if the name was hidden I would think I was playing a poor NFS. There are things that closely remesemble NFS UG2, ProStreet yet the game is not as complete as either of them.

From a racing standpoint. No real tracks, no real races, no tuning options = major fail.

If we are to compare to NFS titles of the past Horizon has an edge on cars one can own and possibly the paint shop though i can't be sure as I never lasted long enough to get into that part of Horizon. NFS on the other hand has had several titles where you could do better customization of the car with body kits, swapping head lights taillights and such and oh yes they all have at least a few tuning options.

IMO they took a little forza and threw it into a second rate NFS TD game and the Forza name got many people to buy it and then get rid of it right away.

I'm sure some people will love it, those who can't tune, can't drive and aren't interested in any realism at all in thier game.

I was really expecting the addition of the other developers to give us a game with better car classes, better PI system and better tuning options. I was hoping for at least 1 or 2 real race tracks but we got none of these and the game is already gone from my house never to return.

To sum it up I would say worst racing title I have bought in the last 10 years.

Wow. I get it if you simply don't like it but it is in no way one of the worst racing titles in the last 10 years...

I'm sure some people will love it, those who can't tune, can't drive and aren't interested in any realism at all in thier game.

I don't understand why people who love and enjoy this game have to fall under those categories. I didn't buy Horizon because I can't tune. I didn't buy Horizon because more realistic racing games like GT and FM are too hard for me. As for the realism statement, there are other free roam style racing games that I've played that are far less realistic than Horizon. Also, I like realism in my racing games, but it's not a deciding factor on what games I buy. If I think it's fun, I don't care if it's arcadey or sim. One big reason I like this game was because I think it's a refreshing change from being confined to only racing tracks in FM. I also love the more lively and enthusiastic atmosphere in Horizon.

E28
Wow. I get it if you simply don't like it but it is in no way one of the worst racing titles in the last 10 years...

I agree. In the past 10 years, I don't think any racing game is crappier and more mediocre than NFS Undercover. The lowest point of the NFS series in my opinion. I did not hesitate to trade in that game to help me spend less to get GT5. Just glad I saved money by buying Undercover used.

I played the demo but was still very surprised to find that there was no tuning options at all in the full game. very dissapointing and very poor choice on thier part.

From a racing standpoint. No real tracks, no real races, no tuning options = major fail.

I was really expecting the addition of the other developers to give us a game with better car classes, better PI system and better tuning options. I was hoping for at least 1 or 2 real race tracks but we got none of these and the game is already gone from my house never to return.
So, really all of this could just read:
I did't read very much of the publicity about the game, and bought it expecting something it was never really advertised as. Now I'm mad that features that were specifically stated to not be in the game (like tuning) are not in the game!

Sure but NFS is the most popular of that type of game and having played several other NFS titles in the past if the name was hidden I would think I was playing a poor NFS. There are things that closely remesemble NFS UG2, ProStreet yet the game is not as complete as either of them.
Can you provide some specifics? Other than the general atmosphere (whic I guess is kinda close to ProStreet?) I can't really think of too many things that it has in common with only NFS. Maybe with the entire genre of open-world driving games, sure, but since it is in fact an open world driving game, what do you expect exactly?

If we are to compare to NFS titles of the past Horizon has an edge on cars one can own and possibly the paint shop though i can't be sure as I never lasted long enough to get into that part of Horizon. NFS on the other hand has had several titles where you could do better customization of the car with body kits, swapping head lights taillights and such and oh yes they all have at least a few tuning options.
So, all other things aside, if you never even got to the paint shop, how much time exactly did you spend on Horizon? 10 minutes?

But beyond that, I agree with most of this. NFS games have historically had pretty industry-leading modification options, especially cosmetically: Widebodies in NFS:U come to mind, as do full Works conversions in Shift. I would love to see those options in any other game, let alone in Horizon.
However, again, I have to refer to above: why did you expect these things in Horizon when it was never said that they would be there, or (in the case of tuning) specifically stated that they would not be present?

IMO they took a little forza and threw it into a second rate NFS TD game and the Forza name got many people to buy it and then get rid of it right away.
Do you have any factual evidence to back up the claim that "many" people "got rid of it right away" or are you speaking only for yourself and attempting to cast your opinion as that of the majority?

Elitist much? You must only play on F1 team sims and iRacing then huh? And yu must be like, top 2 in all of those too huh? Cause the tuning & realism in every game available on console is woeful compared to those, let alone real life...
And, as another member posted, this is hardly true anyways; many people who can tune, can drive, and are interested in realism not only play Horizon, but enjoy it.
I, for example, am in the top 800 on every LB in FM4 for which I have attempted to set a competitive time, and top 500 on most of those. All of that has been achieved by using my own tunes too, so.......?

HBR road hog I love horizon and if you want to test my driving skills ill race you any time on only track with any car to debunk ur theory.

There are a few moments in the game where lack of tuning rears its head:

- Some of the race suspension kits on some vehicles are way to stiff especially with regards to the fact the game mostly takes place in the open world rather than a closed circuit where conditions can vary greatly. I have had some vehicles flip over because I hit a while taking a corner (which are very common in the game's towns or urban areas), I feel this could be some what rectified if we could adjust the spring rate and the dampers for the less then ideal racing surfaces that are common on streets, highways, and dirt roads. I find it interesting the game encourages jumps by rewarding you popularity points, yet some of the race suspension setups are too stiff and the car losses control on landing.

- Gear adjustment would be nice in some cases, on one hand some of the race transmissions ruin low-end acceleration or launching. One of my friends noted that if you take a '69 240Z and tune up the stock engine all the way NA (no forced induction), the race transmission's gearing is way too wide, and you can never get into sixth gear as a result. On the other end of the spectrum, some cars could benefit from taller gearing especially with regards to improvised racing on the long Interstate in the western part of the Horizon area. A friend of mine and I found that due to the inability to change gearing, a R3 240Z is faster than a R1 Yellowbird in a straight line, the Yellowbird topping out at 200 MPH while the Fairlady being able to be significantly edge out the 'Bird in top speed despite being two tiers lower in performance rating.

- Many of the Race body parts ruin top speed dramatically on some cars, once again I feel this could be rectified if we were allowed to change the angles of the part and make them a bit shallower.

- Probably one of the hardest parts to tune, but it's kind of odd the game offers 2-way differentials without the ability to adjust the settings on them. Anyone who has tinkered around with these in either GT or the regular Forza games will know adjusting the diff can go a long way between making an unstable car drivable or a help a sluggish car turn faster in the corners.

2cerc7d.jpg

34in34m.jpg

2moqpg2.jpg

11j0lk0.jpg

Just downloaded it now and it's fantastic, definitely on he arcades side but still feels miles better than the dirt series

For anyone that downloaded the expansion really early (like within hours it came out), did you notice a bunch of cars in the Autoshow that were flagged as DLC but you could not buy (the game wouldn't let you)? These included vehicles like a Cadillac Escalade ESV, plus the GMC Van and '95 Mustang Cobra R from Forza 4. I've noticed they have since been pulled from the Autoshow, but I wonder if these are possibly January's DLC cars.

Back