Forza - HORIZON

Feel kinda bummed out. Esp. when Horizon seems to be the perfect game to play with a steering wheel.

I think horizon is as good with Pad. I tested the game couple of days and did not like FFB with Fanatec turbo S. But remember that I do not also like FFB in F4. FFB seemed same as F4 but with more input lag which of course comes from using 30fps opposed to 60fps of F4.

Well after playing MW2012 I have grown to appreciate the size of Horizons 63 sq mile map. Because MW2012 is only about 30-36 sq miles max. :dunce:
Overall I feel Horizon is the better game by a longshot. I honestly feel MW2012 might be THE biggest disappointment for me for 2012. Oh well thats why its always to rent. 👍

So when Horizon drops in price to around $30.00 I will pick it up. The rental was fun for sure and they truly nailed the physics in Horizon.

Had a great time playing it today..made a lot of progress..ive completed 68.9%..played it for 13 hrs 36 mins..got all the upgrade boards..and 55th popularity.:)

I have to say that I'm in love with Horizon and will certainly be looking foward to its eventual sequel. Haven't spent much time doing the regular races, mostly side stuff. I have both NFS MW and this, guess which one is getting more attention. ;)

I have to say this game is a load of fun. I was a bit sceptical about it at first, but I've really warmed to the concept of an open-world Forza game. It makes me think twice about criticising the idea of an open-world GT game.

The idea of an open world GT game scares me. Looking at GT5, I'm afraid of what Kaz/PD will do with that much freedom.

An open world GT game would never happen. Their development time on a closed world game is really long, I'd imagine an open world game would be twice as long and still not be complete when it's released.

I'm missing the audio setting from FM4 to focus the sound more on the car/engine.
In some races with certain cars (specially small engines) i can not really focus on my own engine sound and have to shift by the RPM gauge, which is a little annoying :/

SimonK
Make it boring and monotonous would be my guess.

Do you ever say anything in the realm of happiness? Anything other than negative and dreary opinions? Or are you just always like that?

And also, horizon is great. I'd be scared to see what GT would do if they made an attempt, but at least the cars would look pretty good.

Do you ever say anything in the realm of happiness? Anything other than negative and dreary opinions? Or are you just always like that?

And also, horizon is great. I'd be scared to see what GT would do if they made an attempt, but at least the cars would look pretty good.

Yes, I do. Thanks for your concern though.

Make it boring and monotonous would be my guess.
Just like FM3 and FM4 career modes were. Turn 10 is as lame as making Career mode as PD is nowadays.

Having said that, I must say that Forza Horizon is probably the most entertaining racing game I have played since ... probably GT4 and last gen NFS like Underground 2 and Most Wanted.

It really shows what kind of experience can be developed out of Forza Motorsports assets, the game is consistent, addictive, varied and well paced, providing different kinds of events and game modes that don't let the game stagnate into the grind that main series get at most times.

There is a sense of flow in the game, it's packed with a lot of events, characteristics, settings, items and other game elements that helps the game stay fresh at all times, from racing in sim-like conditions to free cruising and earning points to gain credits, Horizon really does nail the whole concept of "fun", something that Forza games have failed to achieve since FM2. Part of this could be attributed to the new layout that has been given to the game, and the new characteristics that has been brought by Playground games, which seems to be a pretty strong to keep going with this Franchise.

The game shows a lot of elements from Project Gotham Racing series(most noticeably the stunt points that are pretty similar to the Kudos system from old PGR games, how the events are structured and how the physics seems to act sometimes), off road racing in this game is also pretty well modeled(not sure if old CMR developers had some involvement on this project, but the rally racing is really well portrayed here, not sim-like, but portrayed decently enough to provide a varied experience in all kinds of terrains).

Cars maintain some of the driving characteristics, and the game itself keeps a physics model capable of portraying these characteristics, while making the game a bit arcade, but approachable to both sim and arcade sides, the events set for it are great and the setting is also great(comparisons with TDU has been done, Horizon's map is packed with a lot of great driving roads and diverse scenarios, while in TDU this was limited to a handful of roads that were in remote places, in a very repetitive and sometimes dull scenario).

This game is great, makes me look forward to next project involving Playground Games, and a future iteration of the series. They seem to grasp the concept of "game", something that Turn 10 have failed to address for the last 5 or so years. Money grabbing tactics like 1st day DLC and some significant omissions in the car list(like Jaguar XJ220) exists in the game, however the car list and the game itself manages to keep all these little issues aside and overlooked(not failing for those, car list is pretty strong as it is, and seasonal passes are a robbery anyway).

Other little things like tamed down engine sounds, and the Soundtrack list are indeed rather weak points in Horizon, however custom soundtracks seems to patch this issue nicely, and cars still have good sound(even if they are really lowered down).

In conclusion, this shows how a proper developer can make a fun game, and how a fun game should be, in my opinion this should be a must game if you own an Xbox, I personally think this the best game to come out this year and makes me expect for a new game in the series. This was "Colorado 2012", I would love to see an extended map in something like "Swiss Alps 2014", it would be a great to see something like that in the future.

Almost forgot, I think the game has a decent length, I don't fast travel and I do earn a lot of credits for sponsors challenges(not to mention that free roaming allows me to test car handling and such), I keep the game in a considerable difficulty and I honestly don't get why people is beating the wrist levels so fast, superficially there are the wrist-bands, but there is much, much more in horizon, something that gives it an incredible re playability.

Yeah, as much as I prefer FM4 over GT5, I have to admit the career mode in FM4 can get repetitive at times, especially when the game makes me drive cars I'm not interested in. I still prefer it over GT5's borderline non-existent career mode but I hope Turn 10 makes a more interesting single player for FM5.

On the other hand, Horizon is a refreshing change for the Forza series. It's clearly a whole different game but I still know that it's Forza when I play. That's one thing I love about it. Just shows that the Forza series can do different types of things in the genre, not just track racing.

Regarding, the game's longevity, I think this game will last a long time if you don't focus on just getting through to the end. I agree that there is much, much more to the game than just getting the next wrist band. But people blasting through games that are actually long in length in nothing new. For example, every time a new Pokemon game comes out, people brag about how they beat it in one or two days. Those games definitely aren't short.

Just like FM3 and FM4 career modes were. Turn 10 is as lame as making Career mode as PD is nowadays.

3 was bearable due to the fact that I never really liked FM2. The career was repetitive compared to it's predecessor, but I never felt compelled to stop playing it for extended periods of time. As much as I found it a chore to complete all the races, I found more enjoyment than I did with 2.

Money grabbing tactics like 1st day DLC and some significant omissions in the car list(like Jaguar XJ220) exists in the game

Yeah, I couldn't care less about day 1 DLC. I'll settle with receiving a bunch of cars as a reward for reaching level 50 in either Forza 3 or 4 (done both anyway), plus the Viper GTS after playing the Demo last month. I'll probably get the November Bondurant Car Pack once I buy the game in a week or 2 though. The XJ220 could end up being released as DLC in the coming months for all I know.

Yeah, as much as I prefer FM4 over GT5, I have to admit the career mode in FM4 can get repetitive at times, especially when the game makes me drive cars I'm not interested in. I still prefer it over GT5's borderline non-existent career mode but I hope Turn 10 makes a more interesting single player for FM5.

I can enjoy FM4 just as much as 3 really, plus the increased number of vehicles helps a great deal. It's just that the race event all feel too similar in career mode, plus those god awful 2-heat events that make me yearn for the endurance events of the previous games to return. Even so, I find the career mode far more engrossing than PD's latest effort.

Horizon has none of those though, so the added freedom is what appeals to me. The car list will obviously grow over the course of the next few months, but the current car lineup is certainly good enough as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and I got all events which required me to drive cars I never cared about out of the way first in FM4. At least then I can stand playing the rest of the game without having to deal with those and the time consuming 2-heat events.

For those who're buying the full game, a special-liveried SRT Viper GTS will be gifted out (in the full version of Horizons) to all who download and play this demo prior to October 23rd. Well, provided you play Horizon online... which I sure hope so :D
I only just played the demo after noticing the lack of Vipers at the Autoshow and according to the message the GTS is still available until November 30th.

That special livery is a little too special for me though. A quick yellow and black stripe paint job may be in order.

UKMikey
I only just played the demo after noticing the lack of Vipers at the Autoshow and according to the message the GTS is still available until November 30th.

That special livery is a little too special for me though. A quick yellow and black stripe paint job may be in order.
Did you look under Dodge? Because the new Vipers in Forza 4 and Horizon are under Viper actually. Just curious:)

Just finished up with the outpost PR stunts and the discount signs. Couldn't they have used a different color other than grey for signs already found?

Also have 6 barn locations marked on the map. I'm assuming I can't get the rest until Alice mentions the rumor.

The barn finds or better said the barns they are in, only become active once you get the announcement ingame (aka Alice).
Once the area is marked with a circle in the map, you can look for and activate the barn find.

Btw I have to agree with the Discount sign symbol, but somehow they had to sell the treasure map ;)

Did you look under Dodge? Because the new Vipers in Forza 4 and Horizon are under Viper actually. Just curious:)
Is that what they did? To be fair you can't really blame people like me for missing them, like since when was Viper a car manufacturer?

Oh well, at least I got a free car out of it... :)

I can't believe how much I am enjoying horizon, even after playing the demo I wasn't that excited But playing the full game is a different experience.

UKMikey
Is that what they did? To be fair you can't really blame people like me for missing them, like since when was Viper a car manufacturer?

Oh well, at least I got a free car out of it... :)
Ya I know. Not blaming you man. I couldn't tell you why they put them under Viper. At least they could have put them under SRT.

Yes the game is very good. I have now put physics to standard and I like it more. Simulation thing does not compute well with me; cars drift a lot but braking is still super powerful especially on dirt.
Game reminds me a bit of Driv3r San Andreas. Clearly an arcade game but physics are fun enough for "simracers" to enjoy. I just hate "on-rails" physics and luckily not many games do them anymore. Even the newest ridge racer models contact of four tires rather than have virtual axis in centre of the car to turn it.

I have just got the game on Sunday, it's a blast. As soon as the weekend starts I will play it forever :lol:

Back