Forza Motorsport 7 Tipped To Reveal This Week, Running in 4K on Project Scorpio

GTPNewsWire

Contributing Writer
United States
GTPHQ
We'll see if it's a new gen or not. If there is the dynamic TOD/weather only on Scorpio, then it's a new gen. Or some big differences like damages, 3d trees...

But the question is...

...will it run on a standard Xbox One?
I would expect a title like Forza would, just not at 4k and maybe with less detail depending on how much extra power the Scorpio has. If not, I'd expect a seperate XB1 version to release also. Anyhow, I'm aiming to get Forza 7 for my Laptop as I don't have an XB1 and doubt I'll get a Scorpio.

Hopefully we'll get some news about the game soon, andd hopefully it will look and sound like the best Forza yet :).

I am deeply concerned about how Forza 7 will be balanced between the standard XB1 and the Scorpio without splitting the user base. If it's just 4K/60 on Scorpio and 1080/60 on XB1 without dynamic ToD and dynamic weather, then it might be okay.

If there is going to be dynamic time and weather, then I fear FM7 on the XB1 might either get left behind or not release on that system at all since it simply won't be powerful enough to run the dynamic stuff without sacrificing visual fidelity in order for keeping steady framerates.

Tech-wise I just hope it's at a solid 60fps no matter what resolution it is displayed in.

1080p60 is guaranteed as Forza Motorsport 6 already does this with ease, but 4k60 is the ideal when it comes to Scorpio (I have a 4K TV and a PS4 Pro, and should Forza Motorsport 7 be the real deal I am considering upgrading my Xbox).

As for game features, I already have a lengthy wishlist but I doubt I'll get any answers in the near future, as I imagine all of the public communication will be about technical performance for the time being.

So will use Xbox One owners have to upgrade to the Project Scorpio one?

Xbox One owners shouldn't have to upgrade unless they want 4K resolution and better textures. Think of it as playing a playing a PC game on Ultra at 4K compared to Medium at 1080p and you get the idea.

I'm sure FM7 will work perfectly fine on both XB1 and Scorpio. However for 4K HDR and the highest visual settings you'll probably need Scorpio. If you're fine with 1080p-ish then I'm sure the XB1 will work just as well.

For me whether or not FM7 will be worth it or not has little to do with the fancy graphical stuff it can pull out of the Scorpio, Turn 10 will have to come up with massive gameplay enhancements and innovations to get me interested again. If the entire car handling model is copy/paste again from FM5/FM6 with zero improvements, if assists are still as silly as they ever have been (hello "real" settings!?!?!?), if tunes are compatible again with FM5, FM6, FH2, FH3 (read: no innovation at all!), if FoV adjustments are still absent or there is no dynamic weather with tyre changing pitstop strategies then I'll gladly pass on it. For now it's all Project CARS 2 I'm interested in and Turn 10 has to step up their game BIG time if that will ever have to change again.

This is going to kick all sorts of a**

Ready to drool over the car roaster and customization since i've made my choice in 2015...

Glad SMS and Kunos will keep me happy for a long time while i dream of GT7.

But the question is...

...will it run on a standard Xbox One?

A question answered almost a year ago, when the Scorpio was first announced.

I am deeply concerned about how Forza 7 will be balanced between the standard XB1 and the Scorpio without splitting the user base. If it's just 4K/60 on Scorpio and 1080/60 on XB1 without dynamic ToD and dynamic weather, then it might be okay.

If there is going to be dynamic time and weather, then I fear FM7 on the XB1 might either get left behind or not release on that system at all since it simply won't be powerful enough to run the dynamic stuff without sacrificing visual fidelity in order for keeping steady framerates.

It's a weird position to be in: I'd have said dynamic time/weather had a good chance of happening in FM7 prior to FM6's release, had T10 not only added static weather/night, but bumped the grids up by 50%. The team has been working on the XB1 hardware for over four years now: while I'm sure they've scavenged whatever they could thanks to optimization, I can't see how the dynamic features can be added in without one of these three things being compromised:
  • Framerate
  • Graphic quality/resolution
  • Grid sizes
While sim racers would understand it was a trade-off, it'd nonetheless be seen as a step backwards by Joe Public. Just looking at the back of the box will suggest as much.

The main thing I wonder is if FM7 needs dynamic time/weather. Yeah, a fair amount of GT players loved to point at that last generation as a big USP for that series — but it's gone now. There's also Assetto Corsa, with an equally rabid fanbase... and no dynamic features. iRacing? Say hello to 24 hour enduros in unchanging conditions.

GT has gone so far the other way that the Forza Motorsport series essentially has the carPG sub-genre to itself now. Judging by how badly people moan and try to avoid rain tracks in the public lobbies, I'm really not sure dynamic weather would really make a massive positive impact for the franchise.

Tech-wise I just hope it's at a solid 60fps no matter what resolution it is displayed in.

1080p60 is guaranteed as Forza Motorsport 6 already does this with ease, but 4k60 is the ideal when it comes to Scorpio (I have a 4K TV and a PS4 Pro, and should Forza Motorsport 7 be the real deal I am considering upgrading my Xbox).

As for game features, I already have a lengthy wishlist but I doubt I'll get any answers in the near future, as I imagine all of the public communication will be about technical performance for the time being.

Yeah, 60fps is just a must for me these days, at least for sims. Having it locked makes all the difference.

I too have a personal wish list: FM6 has a ton of hours sunk into it, but I'd like to see a serious shake-up with FM7, even if it means ditching the ability to carry-over tunes and designs. That signifies a lack of innovation: the livery editor is essentially untouched since FM2, outside of the new materials/paint finishes in FH1 and FM5.

I don't expect to be able to start checking things off until E3, though...

I'm really not sure dynamic weather would really make a massive positive impact for the franchise.

Damn this is a really good point - I groan in DC online when there's a night or rain race.

(Though I suspect most professional drivers do too :) )

But your point is gameplay related, and I'd suggest the main motivation for people wanting dynamic weather is the eye candy. Driveclub is at times visually astonishing, even now (and is the only current gen game to feature it?).

So wouldn't MS be keen on it too, to show off the new console?

Since from now on it seems as they will blur the lines between each console gen I'm assuming that peripherals will just be "Xbox compatible" so my TX wheel will be compatible with Scorpio and every console to follow it. My decision to upgrade will be based on that.

As for Forza 7 I hope they can hype me up enough to get me to buy it. For some reason nearly a year ago I lost all interest in racing games and video games in general.

I'm curious:

Does this mean that the Scorpio is not an Xbox One, but rather a new, separate system, that runs Windows 10? I mean, the WUP system basically guarantees compatibility for xbox consoles going forward, as long as they're Windows 10 (or newer). Does this mean that the "Xbox" brand will slowly become just a selection of dedicated gaming hardware (similar to what Steam Machines are?). I mean, with WUP, every PC is technically an Xbox as well.

I feel like Microsoft is slowly trying to kill the console, and instead sell it like how you sell a Steam Machine. I'd love to see the WUP take off, should they ever fix the major problems. If they can get the store and online service to match Valve's service, then I think there might actually be a solid competitor to PC gaming.

Think about it. You have your desktop PC, which you normally game on, and then maybe say the $199 Xbox in the living room for Netflix and streaming WUP from your PC. Or maybe you have the gaming rig in your office and the $599 Xbox in the living room for when company is over, and since everything is WUP based all your games are available to play locally on both devices. Or maybe you get the $899 Xbox and you just have a cheap W10 laptop or tablet that you stream the Xbox to.

I think it's exciting. It's a really good idea.

I just hope I can still play 7 with a 1050Ti.

I'm really curious to see how these "next gen" systems play out. I would love for some industry raising benchmark for console gaming that is significantly better than what is on offer now. I think it would raise the bar for what is capable in games for both side, PC and console gamers. I wouldn't mind upgrading to some uber console, if the parts could be swapped out for upgrades as new, more powerful components available.

From a technical standpoint, I just don't see how 4k/60 fps, with an internal PSU, and being at a reasonable price point is doable. The GTX 1080 ti is starting to get to that point now, and that's a $700 piece of hardware. That's not factoring in any of the other crucial components (CPU mainly).

We'll have to wait and see.

From a technical standpoint, I just don't see how 4k/60 fps, with an internal PSU, and being at a reasonable price point is doable.
Easy, mass production of high volumes lowers overal costs. Once a console comes with upgradable parts and it starts to "look" like internal PC parts that advantage is gone.

If i get this, it will be quite expensive for me. Not only i would need to buy a Scorpio, but also an Xbox compatible wheel and the corresponding wheel stand as well. Then, i would have to pay at least 800 euros in total just to be able to play Forza 7 in 4K. Playing PCars2 on PS4 in 4K will cost me... 60 bucks.

I am still on the fence for FM7. I do love the sheer volume of cars we get in Forza and love to explore the history of each one. However, if the game delivers another lame career mode and baked lighting on tracks, not to mention a horribly controlled rain and night function- then I am out.

I already have 600 lovely cars on FM6, so if that is all they can offer, I do not see the point in buying another one.

I am still on the fence for FM7. I do love the sheer volume of cars we get in Forza and love to explore the history of each one. However, if the game delivers another lame career mode and baked lighting on tracks, not to mention a horribly controlled rain and night function- then I am out.

I already have 600 lovely cars on FM6, so if that is all they can offer, I do not see the point in buying another one.

Have to agree, I'm still only halfway through the main campaign (if you can call it that) of FM6, though admittedly came to it a little late, and have broken off for now to test cars over 1/4 mile and the Top Gear track, which is keeping my interest.

More road races might sway it for me though, and original tracks. I was kinda annoyed that they dropped Fujimi Kaido for 6, and some other things like the West Coast course in PCars would be nice. I don't really need "new" iterations of the same old tried and tested F1/Endurance tracks.

I too have a personal wish list: FM6 has a ton of hours sunk into it, but I'd like to see a serious shake-up with FM7, even if it means ditching the ability to carry-over tunes and designs. That signifies a lack of innovation: the livery editor is essentially untouched since FM2, outside of the new materials/paint finishes in FH1 and FM5.

Most of my requests are related to Multiplayer.

I'd be okay with Tunes not carrying over, but I would greatly prefer if liveries can be imported. Painters like myself and others have spent hundreds of hours creating logos and designs over the past few games, and to do all of that from scratch again (as Xbox 360 content cannot be ported over) would be a step too far for me.

I'm all for new livery editor features, but given the choice I'd prefer not to have my current work go to waste.

I'm all for new livery editor features, but given the choice I'd prefer not to have my current work go to waste.
Since all livery datas are stored as vectors and are now on the cloud, i can't imagine a technical situation where Turn 10 would have to drop livery importation from game to game. At least for livery groups. :)

I would say that Forza 7 needs more “motorsport“ first and foremost. The latest updates in F6 aimed in that direction. So there is hope. But there is most definetley room for improvement. I think its save to say that the career mode in F5 and F6 was rubbish and a complete bore. I really do hope they have spend some time with PCars and add championships. It puzzles me that a game called “Motorsport“ refuses to aim towards the real deal, the real sport. However, endurance racing was rather cool in F6 so there is hope.

Im affraid that on the technical side, the original Xbox one is the bottleneck. We will see 4K on Scorpio but i guess dynamic daytime change and weather are out of question. I also see an issue with the cars interior. If they dont rework the interior on all cars, little rough edges will be easy to spot in 4K. And yes, the car detail is nowhere near GT Sport territory as, of now.

Better FFB is something we should expect on all plattforms. I would also predict that car rooster and track selection will be best in class.

I'm curious:

Does this mean that the Scorpio is not an Xbox One, but rather a new, separate system, that runs Windows 10?

No. Project Scorpio, Xbox One, and Windows PCs are all apart of the same ecosystem. There's little reason for either Xbox console to run a bloated software kernel now because as it stands it's already running a low-level OS in the form of its Metro UI (though I'm not sure what it's referred to as now, if that's changed).

I mean, the WUP system basically guarantees compatibility for xbox consoles going forward, as long as they're Windows 10 (or newer). Does this mean that the "Xbox" brand will slowly become just a selection of dedicated gaming hardware (similar to what Steam Machines are?). I mean, with WUP, every PC is technically an Xbox as well.

UWP. :P

The Xbox will still be their core focus if recent talks are still being adhered to, and the benefits of UWP merely allow them to make select digital games "Xbox Anywhere" (notice the name?) to broaden their player base — a smart move if anything else, considering they practically own the PC market with Windows. As far as I know and have read, one isn't going to supplant the other.

I feel like Microsoft is slowly trying to kill the console, and instead sell it like how you sell a Steam Machine. I'd love to see the WUP take off, should they ever fix the major problems. If they can get the store and online service to match Valve's service, then I think there might actually be a solid competitor to PC gaming.

If you're asking whether or not they're trying to lobotomize their own gaming division I would presume the answer is a resounding "No!" Here's the thing about your second statement: they don't need to compete with or excel Steam in any way, shape, or form. Is it less desirable than Steam is now? Of course it is because Steam has had years to get a number of things right, though there's still plenty that they don't.

The goal is to bring a little bit of the Xbox brand to PC users, not the other way around.

Think about it. You have your desktop PC, which you normally game on, and then maybe say the $199 Xbox in the living room for Netflix and streaming WUP from your PC. Or maybe you have the gaming rig in your office and the $599 Xbox in the living room for when company is over, and since everything is WUP based all your games are available to play locally on both devices. Or maybe you get the $899 Xbox and you just have a cheap W10 laptop or tablet that you stream the Xbox to.

I think it's exciting. It's a really good idea.

I just hope I can still play 7 with a 1050Ti.

You've glossed over the fact that this is exactly what they want. Whether you're playing Xbox games on your Windows 10 PC, or playing those same games on the Xbox One I would imagine the end result is still that of a sale for Xbox.

Most of my requests are related to Multiplayer.

I'd be okay with Tunes not carrying over, but I would greatly prefer if liveries can be imported. Painters like myself and others have spent hundreds of hours creating logos and designs over the past few games, and to do all of that from scratch again (as Xbox 360 content cannot be ported over) would be a step too far for me.

I dunno, I had to lose all my X360 created content too. It sucked.

If there's a way to carry over existing designs while also revamping the editor itself, that'd be great. Maybe "legacy liveries" would be locked, even to the creator?

Since all livery datas are stored as vectors and are now on the cloud, i can't imagine a technical situation where Turn 10 would have to drop livery importation from game to game. At least for livery groups. :)

Has this been confirmed by T10? I was under the impression liveries are only carried over because the system used for them is. The shapes are still hard-coded: there was an error with a lowercase "a" or something similar not aligning properly in FM6, IIRC.

I'm also not entirely sure they're vectors, or if they are, they're pretty lousy ones. Ellipses have obvious sides to them when expanded. :(

I would say that Forza 7 needs more “motorsport“ first and foremost. The latest updates in F6 aimed in that direction. So there is hope. But there is most definetley room for improvement. I think its save to say that the career mode in F5 and F6 was rubbish and a complete bore. I really do hope they have spend some time with PCars and add championships. It puzzles me that a game called “Motorsport“ refuses to aim towards the real deal, the real sport. However, endurance racing was rather cool in F6 so there is hope.

Yeah, I agree that there needs to be more Motorsport in Forza Motorsport. I do wonder if that will turn off more of the existing fanbase than it will attract new folks, though.

Ideally, it'd be added in without removing what people like about the game now: its relative accessibility versus PCARS and AC. The shouty drift kids begging for S14s, or those folks always asking for the latest hypercar: they should still be appeased, but there needs to be balance.

T10 always talks about turning car enthusiasts into gamers, and vice versa. I appreciate that approach, especially now that GT has abandoned the carPG/encyclopedia approach, but spread the love!

Im affraid that on the technical side, the original Xbox one is the bottleneck. We will see 4K on Scorpio but i guess dynamic daytime change and weather are out of question. I also see an issue with the cars interior. If they dont rework the interior on all cars, little rough edges will be easy to spot in 4K. And yes, the car detail is nowhere near GT Sport territory as, of now.

Yeah, it's a trade-off. The textures in the interiors of FM6 cars don't hold up in comparison to GT Sport, but there is a better damage model and under-the-skin modelling, which I believe deserves praise. I was shocked to see we could remove the entire back-end of the Sesto Elemento in FH3 and peer at all the gubbins.

Better FFB is something we should expect on all plattforms. I would also predict that car rooster and track selection will be best in class.

Hopefully the talk of a wheel guy heading up development bodes well for the FFB. I agree about the car roster (not rooster though :P), since no other game could even come close. Track selection? Maybe, depending on what they add to FM6's lineup. As is, I'd say PCARS2 actually has the stronger lineup.

I dunno, I had to lose all my X360 created content too. It sucked.

If there's a way to carry over existing designs while also revamping the editor itself, that'd be great. Maybe "legacy liveries" would be locked, even to the creator?

Has this been confirmed by T10? I was under the impression liveries are only carried over because the system used for them is. The shapes are still hard-coded: there was an error with a lowercase "a" or something similar not aligning properly in FM6, IIRC.

I'm also not entirely sure they're vectors, or if they are, they're pretty lousy ones. Ellipses have obvious sides to them when expanded. :(

Yeah, I agree that there needs to be more Motorsport in Forza Motorsport. I do wonder if that will turn off more of the existing fanbase than it will attract new folks, though.

Ideally, it'd be added in without removing what people like about the game now: its relative accessibility versus PCARS and AC. The shouty drift kids begging for S14s, or those folks always asking for the latest hypercar: they should still be appeased, but there needs to be balance.

T10 always talks about turning car enthusiasts into gamers, and vice versa. I appreciate that approach, especially now that GT has abandoned the carPG/encyclopedia approach, but spread the love!

Yeah, it's a trade-off. The textures in the interiors of FM6 cars don't hold up in comparison to GT Sport, but there is a better damage model and under-the-skin modelling, which I believe deserves praise. I was shocked to see we could remove the entire back-end of the Sesto Elemento in FH3 and peer at all the gubbins.

Hopefully the talk of a wheel guy heading up development bodes well for the FFB. I agree about the car roster (not rooster though :P), since no other game could even come close. Track selection? Maybe, depending on what they add to FM6's lineup. As is, I'd say PCARS2 actually has the stronger lineup.
Yeah, PCARS2 will definitely have more tracks.

Having played through FM2-4 relatively recently, Forza generally removes more tracks then it adds.

I'm expecting 3-4 new tracks minus the Top Gear test circuit.

Hopefully they'll surprise and bring back a bunch of remastered original tracks from previous generation.

I'm not expecting much out of all that, probably some footage of LMPs or GT cars going around a track for a few seconds or beauty shots of supercars in some sort of "homespace" environment and not much more... The real news will start to come out around E3 as T10 usually does.

Back