Funny/Strange News Stories

Police twig to driver branching off trunk road

_103669343_carbushes.jpg

_103669344_mediaitem103669338.jpg

Honestly, the way kids get through money nowadays. BBC.

BBC News
But the couple are in luck. The US Treasury department's Mutilated Currency Division promises "a redemption at full value" for destroyed currency, provided they send it to them and their "trained experts" can piece it back together.

"Today on World's Crappiest Jobs..."

In a sort-of-follow-up to the above story... Banksy's best gag yet. BBC.
This is like when the KLF pretended (?) to burn a million quid, but funnier.

I find it hard to believe no-one at Sotheby's thought there was something unusual about that Banksy piece's frame.

How did it know it was sold?

I'd guess that he (or an accomplice) was in the building or on the phone. I think Sotheby's webcast their auctions too given that many buyers are only present by phone. Some sort of preparation was involved though - he had to have had access to the frame in the weeks or days before the auction. I'm not sure who the seller was.

EDIT: This post on Reddit has a video from Banksy explaining a little more about it.

Reddit, so language/content warnings apply! Link.

Last edited:
In a sort-of-follow-up to the above story... Banksy's best gag yet. BBC.
I didn't post my reply to this last week, but funnily enough my original reply was saved as a draft...

The theory I've seen floating around is that Banksy was at the event and triggered the (remote-controlled) shredder.
A funny stunt but I reckon it failed - the paper gets stuck and the full effect wasn't achieved.

It turns out this was right - Banksy has apparently posted a video to show that the idea was for the whole painting to shred and fall to the ground, but the shredder broke down halfway... it still made the news, but it shows how close it was to not working at all.

I didn't post my reply to this last week, but funnily enough my original reply was saved as a draft...

It turns out this was right - Banksy has apparently posted a video to show that the idea was for the whole painting to shred and fall to the ground, but the shredder broke down halfway... it still made the news, but it shows how close it was to not working at all.

I’m still not sold on this whole ‘prank’... while it mocks (to a degree) the wealthy, it’s those people who are buying his one-off limited run prints that actually make him a living...

not only that, he through the action of shredding a rare piece of his work, made some millionaire a massive return, before they’d even gotten their wallet out...

Back