Funny/Strange News Stories

Waiter accidentally serves £4,500 bottle of wine.

The one that was actually ordered was only £260. Cheapskates.
20190516_095149.jpg

Seems it is real!!

Sadly it is, the Nepalese government are selling far more passes (very expensive passes) than they've been advised to. It's literally killing people, some of the ascents are narrow and the conditions are extremely hostile. Waiting too long to move from phase-to-phase is leading climbers to run out of food (in a super-calorie environment) and, more importantly, oxygen supplies.

Said one climber, "Gah this traffic is killing me."

Too soon?

Given that the traffic is literally killing them... possibly :D

Sadly it is, the Nepalese government are selling far more passes (very expensive passes) than they've been advised to. It's literally killing people, some of the ascents are narrow and the conditions are extremely hostile. Waiting too long to move from phase-to-phase is leading climbers to run out of food (in a super-calorie environment) and, more importantly, oxygen supplies.

Indeed. The number of passes doesn't sound that high until you remember that conditions are probably only at their best for a few days each year.

I always figured Allan Klein to be the prime mover in this and am surprised that it's gone on for so long. It's not like either of those Stones wrote the riff anyway. Surely Andrew Loog Oldham should've got at least some of the royalties.
It's kind of amazing that anything happened at all given the amount of time that has passed. Somehow I imagine Richards-Jagger, while perhaps proponents of favoring Ashcroft, may not have been the ones previously reluctant to grant royalties.

I've heard numerous versions of the story over the years, though a common thread among them is one not addressed in the article, which is that they (Ashcroft and whomever) owed money any time the song was used, which would explain the unease at watching England. I snorted aloud when I read that bit, and only in part due to the cold I'm fighting.

I believe it was to mark the award of a Novello to Ashcroft that the Stones made the gesture, and from what I remember of the court case it was indeed Klein who was the main protagonist in the case.
That's definitely what I'm thinking, and in the absence of that reward it would likely not have been settled.

I guess with the settlement taking so long Ashcroft's feeelings on the matter are also bittersweet.

[EDIT] DJ, play a song for the lawyers. (OK, I'll stop now.)

Last edited:
Surely Andrew Loog Oldham should've got at least some of the royalties.
I believe he did, but not much - and I don't know whether he agreed to pay them back to The Verve as Richards and Jagger have apparently now agreed to do. It is highly ironic, though, that the Jagger-Richards song in question, 'The Last Time' is also something of a rip-off itself for which the original writers were never credited. Furthermore, the riff in question was not even remotely creditable to Jagger or Richards in the first place, or even Andrew Loog Oldham, but was penned by the composer David Whitaker - and I'm not sure if he ever saw any royalties before his death in 2012. I was also unaware that The Verve did actually have permission to use the riff, though, which changes matters considerably - it seems they got shafted when it became apparent that the song was going stratospheric; the royalties for that track alone probably add up to more than most bands will ever make from their entire careers.

it seems they got shafted when it became apparent that the song was going stratospheric; the royalties for that track alone probably add up to more than most bands will ever make from their entire careers.

Might versus right, and yet another highly questionable 'origin' decision over musical ownership. If you can afford to question it, that is.

I was also unaware that The Verve did actually have permission to use the riff, though, which changes matters considerably
Yeah, one of the versions of the story I heard (and the one I would lead with when passing it on) was that the person who was supposed to actually get the permission said he did when he really didn't.

Back