Funny/Strange News Stories

Remember when Uri Geller claimed that Nintendo stole his likeness for a Pokemon? Like, 20 years ago? Well, he's just now gotten over that.

480px-064Kadabra.png

...Can anyone here enlighten me what are the odds of the numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 appearing as the lottery winning number? Because it happened here in good ol' South Africa, and to make matters more, uhm, bizarre, twenty people have won the jackpot.

Apparently, there's an investigation on the way, but the local media are not talking about it. Barely a mention of it in newspapers, primetime news, whatever.

I'm not a conspiracy man, but this does kinda smell fishy...

...Can anyone here enlighten me what are the odds of the numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 appearing as the lottery winning number? Because it happened here in good ol' South Africa, and to make matters more, uhm, bizarre, twenty people have won the jackpot.

Apparently, there's an investigation on the way, but the local media are not talking about it. Barely a mention of it in newspapers, primetime news, whatever.

I'm not a conspiracy man, but this does kinda smell fishy...
Exactly the same odds as any other combination of numbers. Selections with noticable patterns are unwise as a player as there's more chance of sharing the prize if you win.

If you need to pick 6 numbers without specifying the order and the numbers go up to 49 you get this:

6/49 balls are good for you on the first to be drawn. Then 5/48, 4/47 3/46, 2/45 and 1/44.
Multiplying gives odds of 1/13,983,816 for any selection of 6 from 49.

I don't know how many numbers are used in that particular lottery. If it goes higher than 49, the odds are slimmer.

Exactly the same odds as any other combination of numbers. Selections with noticable patterns are unwise as a player as there's more chance of sharing the prize if you win.

If you need to pick 6 numbers without specifying the order and the numbers go up to 49 you get this:

6/49 balls are good for you on the first to be drawn. Then 5/48, 4/47 3/46, 2/45 and 1/44.
Multiplying gives odds of 1/13,983,816 for any selection of 6 from 49.

I don't know how many numbers are used in that particular lottery. If it goes higher than 49, the odds are slimmer.

The local "Powerball" lottery has a pool of 50 numbers (from 1 to 50) for the first five digits, while the last one must be selected from a separate pool of 20.

Wait, that's in the article itself, though?

In any case, that's not the most bizarre part, but twenty people winning the jackpot at the same time. This lottery is rather well known for not having too many winners, unlike the "regular" lottery that runs alongside it.

Last edited:
The local "Powerball" lottery has a pool of 50 numbers (from 1 to 50) for the first five digits, while the last one must be selected from a separate pool of 20.
It doesn't affect the odds but I'm assuming it's selected with balls.
On the first pick, 5 of the 50 available balls are a success for our desired result. Then 4/49, 3/48, 2/47 and 1/46. Then we look at the separate pool and 1/20 balls are a success. Multiplying this time gives 1/42,375,200.
Again, this is the same whether we desire a result of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or any other combination on our ticket.

Wait, that's in the article itself, though?
I didn't click on it.

In any case, that's not the most bizarre part, but twenty people winning the jackpot at the same time. This lottery is rather well known for not having too many winners, unlike the "regular" lottery that runs alongside it.
If the result was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 then I'd expect even more winners. Assuming players can choose their own numbers.
I'm not saying there was definitely no cheating going on but for 20 people (out of presumably many thousands of players) to put a sequence like that on their ticket doesn't seem far fetched to me.

Selections with noticable patterns are unwise as a player as there's more chance of sharing the prize if you win.
I always figure I have something better to spend that buck or two on, but I've always said that if I did play, I'd avoid patterns and specific numbers (like 7) so that I reduce the chance of having to split it.

I always figure I have something better to spend that buck or two on, but I've always said that if I did play, I'd avoid patterns and specific numbers (like 7) so that I reduce the chance of having to split it.
Numbers above 31 are good too because they can't be other players' birthdays and anniversaries.

If the result was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 then I'd expect even more winners.
My Mum used to buy a lottery ticket every Saturday for my grandad, who insisted on playing 1,2,3,4,5,6. He didn't appreciate the fact that there's an estimated 10000 people play those same numbers, meaning a jackpot of £10 million would only net the winners £1000 each... in other words, playing one line twice a week, you would need to win the jackpot at least once every 5 years just to break even.

Congratulations to Adolf Hitler who has won a Namibian election.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/adolf-hitler-wins-election-namibia-23113265
Who does he think he is kidding?

Who does he think he is kidding?
You should have used that line in response to his saying his dad didn't realise the significance of the name when naming him.

To me the funniest part of this will be the cries of triumph from Nazis worldwide dying stillborn in their throats as they click on the article and find out he's a black man.

Last edited:
Funny creature at the bottom of the Indian Ocean seems to divide into two pieces.

Last edited:
Funny creature at the bottom of the Indian Ocean seems to divide into two pieces.

First thought that it was fake, but I'm wondering whether it's a vampire squid given that they are bioluminescent and that their arms are joined together by a similar 'cloak'.

I've read on the Wikipedia article that the creature 'dividing' may actually be it depositing mucus as a defence mechanism along with its fast and erratic movements.

Wait so they put this warnock chap either side of whoever the other person is and they cropped it to look for her based on her colour yes?

That's pretty crap Twitter.

Wait so they put this warnock chap either side of whoever the other person is and they cropped it to look for her based on her colour yes?

That's pretty crap Twitter.
In essence, Twitter uses AI processes to determine what should be the core part of an uploaded image, and displays that in its cropped thumbnails of the image. It noticeably has issues picking out black people and will preferentially display white people as the core part of the image - even if you swap people around, or change certain features.

People have tested this before, with similar results:

And considerably more disturbing results:

Obama: "The aliens exercise strict control over us."

@Liquid
NBC news has picked up this story and is running with it for the moment, adding,
Nick Pope, who used to investigate UFOs for the British Ministry of Defense, described Eshed’s remarks as “extraordinary.”

“Either this is some sort of practical joke or publicity stunt to help sell his book, perhaps with something having been lost in translation, or someone in the know is breaking ranks,” he said.

Pope said the UFO and conspiracy theory community was excited but that questions remained including whether or not Eshed was speaking from direct personal knowledge and experience or whether he is repeating something he has been told.

“There are still some missing pieces of the puzzle here,” he said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weird-...-extraterrestrials-exist-trump-knows-n1250333

The trope of a pact between the US and aliens at goes back to President Eisenhower at Edwards AFB in 1954 and/or at Holloman AFB in 1955.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ssadors/4698e544-1dc8-4573-8b8d-2b48d2a6305e/

Since then, compartmentalization and the dictates of secrecy has reportedly seen much knowledge and control of the alien "problem" passing from government into private hands, the Battelle Memorial Institute sometimes being referred to as the controlling agency.

Last edited:
Back