Gene Haas' new American F1 team

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Roo, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur

I think Haas has enough resources to make this work more than most other team owners state side outside of something like Penske, with his machines and plants all over the world helps a great deal too.

It's nice that someone is atleast trying again instead of talking.

2. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Following off the back of this, there is speculation out of Germany that the BMW board of directors will be meeting in May to discuss returning to Formula 1 as an engine supplier as early 2015. Which, given the complexity, seems like a massive turn-around. Unless they can buy up whatever PURE had when they halted development.

3. Ganon83

Ganon83

Haas has been granted a Formula 1 license.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  4. aarror

aarror

Yep, here's a link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113401

Haas plans on revealing more details next week, so we should get a better idea of the program then. It's going to be tough to get the cars on the grid for next year though, I'm sure he was hoping for a 2016 entry instead.

5. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The FIA made it known that they would only be accepting entries for 2015. 2016 was not an option.

6. CinnamonOD

CinnamonOD

The official Formula 1 page also mentions another team, "Forza Rossa"

All I found are rumours, and they say that they are a group headed by Colin Kolles

7. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Details are scarce, but when the bid process was opened, the FIA received three entries: one from Haas, one from the notorious Zoran Srefanovic, and a third from Romania with a connection to Kolles. It is believed that this third entry is Forza Rossa, which is the name of a Ferrari dealership in Bucharest owned by former Minister for Health Ion Bazac. As part of the proposal, it is believed that the team would use Kolles' Kodewa infrastructure. The entire project is believed to have the support of the Romanian government, and seems to have taken everybody - including the FIA - by surprise.

It's a weird name for a team. For one, it's Italian; if it were in Romanian, it would be "Forta Rosu". It's named for the dealership, but it's no guarantee of a Ferrari deal. And it has been speculated that the government is supporting the team to boost the local manufacturing sector, probably to further tie the Dacia brand to Renault. Finally, red is not really a colour that Romanians identify with strongly. Red is part of their flag, but it's a tricolour. "Forta Tricoloreul" ("force of three colours") would probably be more appropriate.

That said, the FIA press release refers to the Haas team as Haas Formula LLC, a limited-liability company that would be the company that owns the team. Haas himself has referred to the team as Haas Racing Developments and Haas Formula, so it's entirely possible that "Forza Rossa" is a placeholder name, taken from the owner.

8. Ganon83

Ganon83

Just to make it absolutely clear, Tony Stewart has exactly zero involvement with this team. I saw it reported a couple of times today that this is Stewart-Haas going into F1 (Mostly by dumb NASCAR fans. No disrespect to most fans of NASCAR but there are a bunch of idiots among us). In reality the only connection Stewart will have with this team is his Cup teams being based under the same roof.

9. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

We know. Haas has been up-front about it from the start. And I doubt Formula 1 fans are getting their news from NASCAR sources.

10. Brutaka

Brutaka

I hope that Haas doesn't purposely limit themselves to just trying to get American Drivers, we have some very good drivers but how many of them are willing to leave their series for F1?

11. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

We've got two American drivers in GP2 right now with Conor Daly and Alexander Rossi. There's also Josef Newgarden who had a year in GP3, but was rather mediocre.

Anyone else would be too old to be a good choice. Pairing Daly with an F1 veteran would be a good choice, I think.

Brutaka likes this.
  12. Brutaka

Brutaka

I don't follow GP2 but do you think those 2 are ready to step up into F1?

13. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

As of today, no. Both drivers still need time before making any official F1 debuts.

Brutaka likes this.
  14. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

No. There's half a dozen drivers I would pick before them. And that's without considering Formula Renault 3.5.

15. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

I would say Rossi is ready, but isn't super consistent he's done drives in actual F1 cars and more than once. However I don't know what is contract with Caterham is like so not sure if HAAS can get him. I'd say that he is the one on the radar. Daly I'm not that impressed with, he's not bad but I just like Rossi better.

It's the first American team in how long? Do you really think HAAS is going to go with some one that isn't America? One driver may not be, but the both of them not being from the States I highly doubt especially if HAAS plans to attract American investors.

16. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

I'd be fine if Haas picked two drivers that weren't American as well. It doesn't need to be an American team, with (eventually) an American built car, with an American built engine and American drivers.

That would only bring flashbacks of the failure-to-launch USF1 team.

17. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

No other team requires drivers from a particular nation to secure investors. Why should Haas be any different? If you look at the GP2 grid, Vandoorne, Marciello, Nasr, Evans and Lancaster are all better choices than Rossi and Daly. Hell, even Jolyon Palmer is better than the both of them, and he is a second-tier driver at best. Rossi has been around for years and hasn't made an impact, and Daly seems to go race-by-race with struggling teams and no idea if he will have a sear tomorrow.

Haas has been in motorsports long enough to know that you have to pick drivers based on merit - any commercial benefits they bring are a secondary consideration. Having two non-American drivers in the team won't compromise their identity as an American team, and any sponsor worth their money should realise that a non-American driver capable of getting results is better than an American driver who cannot get results.

GTPorsche likes this.
  18. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Never said it was a requirement, however consider this is an American team I feel it is safe to say that American drivers will be in the line up. I'd be willing to bet on it too. Considering that HAAS is giving Americans a team to cheer for in F1.

Where do I say there aren't drivers better then them? :lol: I know these drivers are better but does that necessarily mean they are going to be the first choice of Haas? F1 has taught us that even the best drivers don't always get a shot.

We'll have to see but I'm pretty sure an American will be getting a seat in his team and even one of the younger guys in Indy might get pulled over that aspired to be in F1. No one is saying that Rossi and Daly are the only options.

EDIT: Never mind Newgarden or anyone else would need a Super License...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  19. Robin

Robin Premium

Scott Speed?

20. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Oh my sides they hurt :lol:

21. Robin

Robin Premium

He is the only American that has had any somewhat recent exposure to an F1 car :lol:

22. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Not a chance.

Earth and LMSCorvetteGT2 like this.
  23. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

If I were trying to hazard a guess, I would say Raffaele Marciello would be a likely candidate. Haas has made it known that he wants Ferrari power, so it makes sense for him to pick a Ferrari-backed driver, and Marciello is in a good position (even if his maiden GP2 race wasn't anazing).

There has also been speculation that Marussia could close down or be sold on after Marussia Motors went under, in which case I would look for Ferrari to try and save Jules Bianchi. Bianchi or Marciello would be good choices either of them; Bianchi and Marciello would be excellent.

24. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Marussia has been reported to have been sold off to Marussia Communications, which is supposedly independent of Marussia Motors.

I'm not buying that story...

25. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Legally, it is considered independent. The entire point of moving the team from Marussia Motors to Marussia Communications is to separate the two sides of the business from one another. That way, if Marussia Motors goes under, Marussia F1 can continue to operate.

In fact, it's exactly what Haas has done. The FIA statement refers to the team as "Haas Formula LLC". That LLC means the team is a limited-liability company. Should the team fail, creditors can only claim assets from Haas Formula - Stewart-Haas Racing cannot be held accountable for Haas Formula.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  26. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

otakukid96 likes this.
  27. Ganon83

Ganon83

No shocked, the expansion project has been known for a few months now.
    I'm sure though that Haas will have a UK base simply because it isn't economically feasible to run a team completely out of America, even US F1 was smart enough to do that.
    Oh, and anybody seriously suggesting any of SHR's NASCAR drivers would go to F1 should be fired from their reporting job. The only driver with a fraction of a chance would be Danica as a pay driver, and if she had wanted to try and do it she would of already.

28. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I can't think of any NASCAR drivers who could make the transition (though I don't follow the sport too closely). Kyle Larson stands out at the only driver with the faintest chance of success.

29. Lewis_Hamilton_

Lewis_Hamilton_

I look forward to seeing another team lining up on the grid :tup:

And my vote for the drivers would be Paul Tracey and Pastor Maldonado, the wrecking ball team causing havoc on the track. All teams will end up being low budget due to damage repairs, thus equalling out the field.

The Chosen One likes this.
  30. Earth

Earth

Danica has turned down F1 before, she doesnt like world travel. And her current NASCAR salary is higher then 75% of the F1 field so theres no financial incentive either.

If I were to pick an American driver to fill at least one seat, I'd come up with this short list
    • AJ Allmendinger
    • Alexander Rossi
    • Josef Newgarden
    • Ryan Hunter-Reay

All except Hunter-Reay would jump at the chance. All have considerable openwheel road racing experience and are pretty quick.