Gene Haas' new American F1 team

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Roo, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SVT Cobra GT

SVT Cobra GT

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they bring to the grid. I hope they become competitive, I'm sure if they do it'd help F1 become more popular than ever in the US.

2. Robin

Robin Premium

How's about Montoya?, he's kinda got an American following and didn't suck when in F1.

3. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

And all of them are slower than the Vandoornes and the Marciellos of the world.

4. Ganon83

Ganon83

Nelson Piquet Jr., Miguel Paludo, Marcos Ambrose (Might be too late though, turns 38 this year), and AJ Allmendinger (Although he is in the first year of a three year contract with JTG) are the only four NASCAR drivers with any real shot at making it in F1.

5. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

And what about Sato, who is currently racing in Indy Car, as his team mate? :p

6. Samus

Samus

Pretty sure he said he has no interest in returning to F1.

7. Robin

Robin Premium

Everyone has their price, plus he was actually good at it unlike in NASCAR. In that skit for Top Gear a while back he told Hammond there was nothing like the feeling of being in an F1 car. Sounds like he misses it to me and it was the same with Schumacher, no one expected him to come back.

Mid 2000's F1 reunion! :sly:

8. Panoz

Panoz Premium

If Honda convinces Haas on using their engines, its plausible for Sato to be in a seat.

9. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Haas has facilities in Belgium that will be used for the team.

Piquet Jr. back in F1? :lol: We'd get Scott Speed first....

Edit:
    Honda has 2 developmental drivers in GP2 at the moment... Takuya Izawa and Kimiya Sato (no relation to Takuma Sato). Plus, Haas wants Ferrari power.

10. Earth

Earth

This late in his career Montoya only wants to be in race winning equipment. He already wasted enough years in NASCAR racing for a B team.

They've raced ex-F1 drivers in Indycar just fine. I dont see why they shouldn't at least get a shot, especially on a backmarker team like HAAS

11. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

12. joetruckv8

joetruckv8

I was reading about Haas next step being to find a engine supplier. I know its a Italian/Romanian based team so they most likely will end up with Ferrari engines but they need to get there engines from Mercedes if they want to stand a chance at coming in at-least 10 place in the Constructors Championship. I was even reading Ford/Cosworth was making a come back along with Honda next year and BMW was also trying to make a come back to F1 in the motor wise department that is and Haas was considering using the Ford/Cosworth motors, big :tdown:'s if you can run Ford/Cosworth motors then you should be able to purchase motors from Mercedes. The $40 million dollar wind tunnel looks awesome tho but will be a big waste of money if the wrong engine supplier is chosen!

13. DK

DK Premium

If Haas do end up with Ferrari engines, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bianchi there.

14. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

15. Brutaka

Brutaka

16. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Right, because the demand for experienced drivers worked out so well for Lotus/Caterham in 2010.

Maybe that was the case once upon a time, but in this day and age, rookies arrive on the scene with a ton of open-wheel experience. It might not be specific to Formula 1, but they do have experience. And if they are going to limit themselves to a young American driver when all of the available candidates are second-tier drivers at best, then it makes no sense to further limit themselves to an experienced driver who is probably going to be someone like Adrian Sutil or Jean-Eric Vergne who has no real opportunities for advancement.

17. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Kurt's brother had a chance to run in a Toyota F1 some years back I remember and was one of the guys on the USF1 teams radar

Looks like I was right about HAAS wanting an American Driver, go figure. Which was the point really you can think all you want about how you'd run the team, but that isn't how HAAS is obviously going to run it and you've heard the guy or follow NASCAR (which you don't), you'd understand why I'm quite confident he is going to make it known that this is an American team trying to win in F1.

18. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

And I'm quite confident that as long as he is prioritising nationality over talent, he is going to be trying for a long time. Especially when he paints himself into a corner with his second driver, picking someone who is experienced, but a second-tier driver in their own right.

If Haas insists on an American driver, then his only real option is Conor Daly. He might not have the security of a constant seat, like Rossi, and he might have one hand tied behind his back by driving for Lazarus, but he at least has untapped potential.

Haas has said that 2015 is too soon, and 2016 too far away. His best move would be to get Dallara to build a chassis and do a one-year deal with Ferrari. Take any two drivers, but back Daly in GP2 and place him somewhere like ART. Use that relationship to get a Honda engine deal in 2016, and put Daly in the seat when the team is fully operational.

19. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Never said he wasn't, and I also addressed this in my last post with the "what you think is best" and by you I literally mean you. Just pointing out so far I'm right :sly:

I don't disagree I just don't like Daly probably due to his father.

Once again it may be ideal to you but...

20. Earth

Earth

Drivers are secondary to the car in F1 anyway. Ferrari has the best drivers, but a junk car. Also isnt there always a "B" driver thats just there to take points from the competition?

Haas already is working out of the US, keeping it American has put him at a permanent disadvantage already.

More importantly it will be interesting to see if the number of American open wheel talent increases over the next few years if they think F1 is a viable option to NASCAR, in large part thanks to Haas.

21. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

They intend to have a forward base inside Europe that they can use to maintain the cars and turn them over between races.

22. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Ferrari doesn't have the best drivers, not sure how you got to that conclusion. Fernando might be able to be claimed that but, Kimi isn't as good as he was before leaving F1. He's hit and miss with the cars and on street circuits he seems to struggle. I'd say even a driver like Rosberg is better than Kimi.

How has keeping it American put him at a disadvantage as far as HQ goes? Also the second hand situation they have in Europe as F1fanatic reported. Also the only way I can see that last part happening is if HAAS is successful and if American sponsors actually want to be apart of F1 and fund drivers so they can actually race. Also a feeder series closer to the U.S. would help as well...not Indy Lights.

23. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

We already have three rounds in the Americas; Montreal, Austin and Interlagos. Mexico is apparently joining in 2015, Port Imperial has been given another chance, and the organisers of Long Beach are looking to get Formula 1 back. So, in theory, that is as many as six races in the Americas, and it doesn't take into account potential bids like Argentina. Haas will have an advantage in having a base in America - to the point where other teams might set up a forward base there, too.

The problem is geography. America is quite large, which means travel costs are going to be higher than in Europe. That will drive budgets up, demanding more sponsorship.

24. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Which was the point I was trying to make. Oh and let's not forget the limited chance NJ still has.

Yes that's true, but as it stands the options available aren't very cost friendly to begin with. Just giving up on the idea without ever trying is a bit unmotivated.

25. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

To my mind, the best way forward would be to establish a Formula 3 Americas series, like European Formula 3. It would make a series that is not just viable for American drivers, but Canadian, Mexican and South Americans as well. Again, that would balloon the costs out a bit, but by encouraging local drivers, it will hopefully encourage more participation from local sponsors. On top of that, run it as a support event to the Grands Prix to get those local drivers some exposure.

26. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Basically all most of us in the states would want to see, and have wanted since the last feeder esque series folded.

27. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I think the problem such a series would face is that the feeder series for other championships lead into championships that are almost exclusively national. NASCAR Nationwide leads into NASCAR Sprint, while Indy Lights leads into IndyCar. But a "Formula 3 Americas" series would lead into an international series, like Formula 1. And while that might sound more appealing, the other series allow more track time, an established following, and a programme that doesn't require the drivers to fly around the world several times.

28. HKS racer

HKS racer (Banned)

He is putting the money on the wrong (pricing) horse at the wrong time.

29. SVT Cobra GT

SVT Cobra GT

30. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

On the other hand, he has said that waiting until 2016 is too late. When they start depends on what kind of deals they can do with suppliers, and how soon they can reach those agreements. They have two major advantages in that the rules are likely to remain stable for 2015, given that this year has been so expensive (though the noses will be redesigned, which will demand work across the whole car). Nor have those rules been published yet, so Haas will be in the same boat as everyone else when it comes time to start designing.

On top of that, if they outsource to Dallara, that takes a lot of pressure off them. Dallara are experienced and highly capable, and so long as the money keeps coming, they can be left to their own devices. So what Haas needs to do is build his physical team, and he reckons he can get most of what he needs for infrastructure in North Carolina. He's got eleven months until the first race of the season, but if you cast your mind back to 2009, Lotus/Caterham turned themselves around in just seven months, and they didn't have nearly as much experience as Haas.