General Model Kit Building Thread

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by eddieturner2002, Mar 18, 2004.

1. barryf1fan

barryf1fan Premium

Off to a great start!! :tup::tup: Your gonna force me to have to pull mine out of the stash! :lol:

Volksauto likes this.
  2. Volksauto

Volksauto

I'm determined to finish! I've got 13 out of the 23 windows' rubber trim painted. A very slow, long and tedious process.

barryf1fan likes this.
  3. barryf1fan

barryf1fan Premium

been awhile since I updated - time to build has been limited of late, but managed to get close on finishing my son's Acura RSX I'm doing for him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First time I've stripped chrome off a part. His wheels are painted silver and not chrome - so, tried it and they turned out great. I was actually able to take the wheel outside and compare it and it's pretty much spot on.

[​IMG]

Hoping to have this one done in a week or so... but who know's. :lol::lol:

Shaun, Apok, Volksauto and 4 others like this.
  4. barryf1fan

barryf1fan Premium

Here's a Tamiya 1/20 Ferarri F189 that I did ages ago (around '94-'95'ish) . . . It was filthy as it hasn't been kept in a case, ever, and needed cleaned up. Spent a little over two hours the other night cleaning the layers of dust off it. Needs to be done again, but looks a little better. This was the first kit that I painted all the parts and took my time, basically I didn't build this one to blow up with fire crackers or shoot with my pellet gun (I had out grown that stuff by '94, sort of).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And this came in the mail today. 1/12 Scale Williams F1 - Can't wait to start this.

[​IMG]

Btw, I missed some dust on the lower wish bones on the front suspension (red circles)... this is what the whole car looked like. :eek: Can't believe I let it get like that. :guilty:

[​IMG]

Shaun, Apok, Volksauto and 4 others like this.
  5. barryf1fan

barryf1fan Premium

Need to put the front license frame on (completely forgot about it)... but other than that, gonna call this one done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't come out as good as I had hoped, but oh well - it's not terrible.

Venom800tt, SVX, Shaun and 6 others like this.
  6. Volksauto

Volksauto

What do you mean!? It looks frigging great!

barryf1fan likes this.
  7. barryf1fan

barryf1fan Premium

Thanks man!! :tup: :O

8. barryf1fan

barryf1fan Premium

btw, @Volksauto , looking forward to seeing your Samba bus done. :tup:

9. Volksauto

Volksauto

The cold weather has slowed me down in terms of painting since my paint booth is in the garage. I’m only paint when the weather permits.

Edit: But I have started a new project in the meantime!

barryf1fan likes this.
  10. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

My friend got me a 1/100 scale Gundam build kit. I know nothing about Gundam at all, I typically build cars (but haven't in a while due to lack of space to do painting), but this was a ton of fun to build. Ended up grabbing 4 more similar ones to build, the ones that don't require paint or glue.

[​IMG]

11. UnkaD

UnkaD

Welcome to the club. :cheers: I always appreciated how unique that Gundam Kyrios looked regarding design and color scheme; way too many blue gundams. If you liked that kit you will love the Master Grade stuff, depending on how interested you become. They feature highly articulated skeletons on which all the body panels are mounted so you don't need to worry about seam lines.

12. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

Thanks! I already foresee this becoming a new addiction, but also a break from the car kits for a change.

Looking into them more, I learned the difference between High Grade, Master Grade and Perfect Grade. I'll likely work my way up and see how far it takes me, but right now I am enjoying the low skill level required of the High Grades. My local hobby store has a massive selection, including these gigantic ones! I didn't dare look at the price yet. :lol:
    [​IMG]

13. UnkaD

UnkaD

For those, anywhere between 200 and 350 usd. :( Definitely out of my comfort zone. But if they made perfect grades of all five gundams from Gundam Wing then my wallet would be hurting. I'm a real sucker for collecting a complete series. Good thing I know Bandai will never do that. :lol::nervous:

SPhilli911 likes this.
  14. barryf1fan

barryf1fan Premium

Started my next model - Hasegawa 1/24 Nissan R91CP (GTP's are my favorite race cars)
    This will also be the first time using the airbrush setup, and not rattle cans and paint brush only...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The injection mold points on this kit are ridiculous - they are literally everywhere. Spent about 4-6 hours alone just cleaning up all these frickin' things. The kit is fitting nice and has a lot of nice detail, but I can tell this isn't a Tamiya kit! :rolleyes:
    Before cleaning up on the left and cleaned up on the right.

[​IMG]

This is a beaut of a kit though, look at the detail in the body!! :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can tell from the above shot that I need to work on laying down the primer evenly - but for my first time using the airbrush it didn't come out too bad (plus I had crap lights in my spray booth - already replaced them with whiter light light bulbs). Looking forward to using it again to finish up the primer.

Thanks for looking!! :cheers:

TheCracker, Venom800tt, Shaun and 4 others like this.
  15. barryf1fan

barryf1fan Premium

Finally!! Had a chance to work on the Nissan Race Kar! :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really enjoying the airbrush setup, but it's proving a bit difficult to get a handle on. Nothing upsetting, just my inconsistencies with being a n00b.

(kinda crap pics. . . :rolleyes: )

Got a lot of the parts painted...
    [​IMG]

And got a new little fancy-schmancy circle cutter - was able to mask the inside to do the two-tone color.
    Wheels came out pretty good, I think. :tup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Instructions called out for "Earth Green" on the underside of the body, I have no clue what that is supposed to look like. So... since it's my model I decided to mix a bit of black into light green and make my "own" Earth Green". Light coats, trying to build it up, but here you can see how terrible I am at airbrushing. :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

All done, with about 6 coats to get coverage (it's not black, the LED lights in my spray booth make it a bit darker than it is...)

[​IMG]

:tup: Got the white coats down on the body - so freakin' excited to do the blue and red!!

[​IMG]

Was able to do a little bit of assembly.

[​IMG]

Hopefully through the week I can work on the body some more... Looking forward to getting the decals on!
    Thanks for looking!!

16. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

I have both (and others) — what do you want to know? I can take pictures of the details if you'd like?

17. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

I'd be happy to see what you are willing to share. :tup: Maybe a High Grade next to a Master and Perfect to get a better idea how they look compared to one another once completed?

I definitely got a little carried away with these Gundams. I've built a total of 5 so far and am on a 6th one, all HG. I know nothing about Gundam, just building the ones I think look the coolest. :dopey:

18. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

Done. I was going to keep going, but this is already three pictures. :lol:

Quanta-Twins.jpg

RG (Real Grade) 00 Qaunta on the left, MG on the right.

MG-PG.jpg

MG Exia on the left, PG on the right.

PG-PG.jpg

PG 00 Gundam (no 0 Raiser, I need to fix a piece that's been broken for ages) next to the PG Exia. I'll take better, less grainy pictures if you want more. I need to fiddle with this ridiculous camera on my phone. :p

That's how it starts. :lol:

Venom800tt likes this.
  19. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

Thank you, I appreciate it! Those look great! So, from what I can tell with my untrained eye, the MG's look nearly as detailed as the PG's but the level of skill required to build the PG will still be higher than the MG? I was under the impression that the grade also determined the scale, but clearly that isn't the case.

Forgive the questions, the internet has shockingly scattered info from what I've already read about grades. I am also at work. currently. :censored:

In any case, I think once I finish up what I have I will graduate to Master Grade. Seems they do not require paint (I want to avoid paint for a while), but do have more decals and are overall more detailed.

20. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

They look identical, and some are mostly upscaled MGs with more details, but that's really where it ends. The PG Exia has more in common with the RG model, than the MG (Ignition Mode) I have that released in 2009.

Do you mean scale as in size, or something else? A PG model will always be 1/60, as opposed to 1/100 for MG/HG, or 1/144 for RG/HGUC, etc

If you meant something else, a few pointers:

• A PG model will always have at least 500 pieces. The Exia has, if I remember correctly, 7-800-something pieces.
    • You can finish an MG in a day or two, easily, or in a few hours if you're pick up one of the older more...hand grenade-y MGs from the early 2000's. :lol:
    • You're not finishing a PG in a single day unless you binge hard. Otherwise, in about the time it takes to build, say, two legs and maybe the waist section on an MG, you'll only have put together one (1) arm or leg.
    • Full articulation fingers.
    • Newer molds place the burden of putting together each and every finger, and it's fun. Tedious at times, because all you want to do is be a five year-old and make it flip the bird, but fun. :lol:
    • You need space. And patience. Spacience.

New HGs have fantastic color separation, so painting is something you can approach when you're ready without the model looking like an absolute eyesore. If you want a taste of what to expect with a PG without the strain on your wallet, look at the RG line — they're all ace. :tup:

21. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

Thank you for all the info!

Yeah, scale as in size. I'm thrown off because above your picture (the last picture) of an MG next to a PG is the same size, but different scale?

I will be doing that, of course. :lol:

Space is a concern for now, I don't have the largest area to build these. Even the HG kits take up my entire desk, but I will find the Spaceience™ to do these.

Painting is something I will like to do down the road. My friend, who got me into these in the first place, paints the models she does. Gives them a weathered look, which is fantastic. I will definitely look into the RG line.

22. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

Oh, I see what's happening now. The text beneath each picture is for the picture above said text, not beneath it. The last picture is two PGs standing next to one another.

When you think you're ready to start painting, but you want to get your feet wet before going full bore with spray paints, hand painting, or airbrusing, try Gundam Markers. It's the perfect in-between point. Then there's everything you'll want to pick up to improve: sandpaper, panel line pens, etc. It's best you know now: this hobby can get expensive real fast. :lol:

23. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

It's all coming together now, makes sense on the scale sizes now, my bad, I mixed up pictures and text. :cheers:

I will keep that in mind, the Gundam Markers, that sounds like a reasonable starting point. I'm used to expensive hobbies, so long as I pace myself, but considering I built 5 Gundam HGs so far and have 3 more to build, I have not been pacing. Granted, the HG's can take only an hour or so to build, taking my time with high grades will certainly help me restrain from spending. :D