General Model Kit Building Thread

been awhile since I updated - time to build has been limited of late, but managed to get close on finishing my son's Acura RSX I'm doing for him.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

First time I've stripped chrome off a part. His wheels are painted silver and not chrome - so, tried it and they turned out great. I was actually able to take the wheel outside and compare it and it's pretty much spot on.

enhance

Hoping to have this one done in a week or so... but who know's. :lol::lol:

Here's a Tamiya 1/20 Ferarri F189 that I did ages ago (around '94-'95'ish) . . . It was filthy as it hasn't been kept in a case, ever, and needed cleaned up. Spent a little over two hours the other night cleaning the layers of dust off it. Needs to be done again, but looks a little better. This was the first kit that I painted all the parts and took my time, basically I didn't build this one to blow up with fire crackers or shoot with my pellet gun (I had out grown that stuff by '94, sort of).

enhance

enhance

enhance
enhance
enhance

And this came in the mail today. 1/12 Scale Williams F1 - Can't wait to start this.

enhance

Btw, I missed some dust on the lower wish bones on the front suspension (red circles)... this is what the whole car looked like. :eek: Can't believe I let it get like that. :guilty:

enhance

My friend got me a 1/100 scale Gundam build kit. I know nothing about Gundam at all, I typically build cars (but haven't in a while due to lack of space to do painting), but this was a ton of fun to build. Ended up grabbing 4 more similar ones to build, the ones that don't require paint or glue.

49311351896_d4c5549968_b.jpg

My friend got me a 1/100 scale Gundam build kit. I know nothing about Gundam at all, I typically build cars (but haven't in a while due to lack of space to do painting), but this was a ton of fun to build. Ended up grabbing 4 more similar ones to build, the ones that don't require paint or glue.

49311351896_d4c5549968_b.jpg
Welcome to the club. :cheers: I always appreciated how unique that Gundam Kyrios looked regarding design and color scheme; way too many blue gundams. If you liked that kit you will love the Master Grade stuff, depending on how interested you become. They feature highly articulated skeletons on which all the body panels are mounted so you don't need to worry about seam lines.

Welcome to the club. :cheers: I always appreciated how unique that Gundam Kyrios looked regarding design and color scheme; way too many blue gundams. If you liked that kit you will love the Master Grade stuff, depending on how interested you become. They feature highly articulated skeletons on which all the body panels are mounted so you don't need to worry about seam lines.
Thanks! I already foresee this becoming a new addiction, but also a break from the car kits for a change.

Looking into them more, I learned the difference between High Grade, Master Grade and Perfect Grade. I'll likely work my way up and see how far it takes me, but right now I am enjoying the low skill level required of the High Grades. My local hobby store has a massive selection, including these gigantic ones! I didn't dare look at the price yet. :lol:
49311321453_13d9d638c4_b.jpg

Thanks! I already foresee this becoming a new addiction, but also a break from the car kits for a change.

Looking into them more, I learned the difference between High Grade, Master Grade and Perfect Grade. I'll likely work my way up and see how far it takes me, but right now I am enjoying the low skill level required of the High Grades. My local hobby store has a massive selection, including these gigantic ones! I didn't dare look at the price yet. :lol:
For those, anywhere between 200 and 350 usd. :( Definitely out of my comfort zone. But if they made perfect grades of all five gundams from Gundam Wing then my wallet would be hurting. I'm a real sucker for collecting a complete series. Good thing I know Bandai will never do that. :lol::nervous:

Started my next model - Hasegawa 1/24 Nissan R91CP (GTP's are my favorite race cars)
This will also be the first time using the airbrush setup, and not rattle cans and paint brush only...

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The injection mold points on this kit are ridiculous - they are literally everywhere. Spent about 4-6 hours alone just cleaning up all these frickin' things. The kit is fitting nice and has a lot of nice detail, but I can tell this isn't a Tamiya kit! :rolleyes:
Before cleaning up on the left and cleaned up on the right.

enhance

This is a beaut of a kit though, look at the detail in the body!! :eek:

enhance

enhance

enhance

You can tell from the above shot that I need to work on laying down the primer evenly - but for my first time using the airbrush it didn't come out too bad (plus I had crap lights in my spray booth - already replaced them with whiter light light bulbs). Looking forward to using it again to finish up the primer.

Thanks for looking!! :cheers:

Finally!! Had a chance to work on the Nissan Race Kar! :lol:

enhance

enhance

I'm really enjoying the airbrush setup, but it's proving a bit difficult to get a handle on. Nothing upsetting, just my inconsistencies with being a n00b.

(kinda crap pics. . . :rolleyes: )

Got a lot of the parts painted...
enhance

And got a new little fancy-schmancy circle cutter - was able to mask the inside to do the two-tone color.
Wheels came out pretty good, I think. đź‘Ť

enhance

enhance

Instructions called out for "Earth Green" on the underside of the body, I have no clue what that is supposed to look like. So... since it's my model I decided to mix a bit of black into light green and make my "own" Earth Green". Light coats, trying to build it up, but here you can see how terrible I am at airbrushing. :lol: :lol:

enhance

All done, with about 6 coats to get coverage (it's not black, the LED lights in my spray booth make it a bit darker than it is...)

enhance

đź‘Ť Got the white coats down on the body - so freakin' excited to do the blue and red!!

enhance

Was able to do a little bit of assembly.

enhance

Hopefully through the week I can work on the body some more... Looking forward to getting the decals on!
Thanks for looking!!

I have both (and others) — what do you want to know? I can take pictures of the details if you'd like?

I have both (and others) — what do you want to know? I can take pictures of the details if you'd like?
I'd be happy to see what you are willing to share. đź‘Ť Maybe a High Grade next to a Master and Perfect to get a better idea how they look compared to one another once completed?

I definitely got a little carried away with these Gundams. I've built a total of 5 so far and am on a 6th one, all HG. I know nothing about Gundam, just building the ones I think look the coolest. :dopey:

I'd be happy to see what you are willing to share. đź‘Ť Maybe a High Grade next to a Master and Perfect to get a better idea how they look compared to one another once completed?

Done. I was going to keep going, but this is already three pictures. :lol:

Quanta-Twins.jpg

RG (Real Grade) 00 Qaunta on the left, MG on the right.

MG-PG.jpg

MG Exia on the left, PG on the right.

PG-PG.jpg

PG 00 Gundam (no 0 Raiser, I need to fix a piece that's been broken for ages) next to the PG Exia. I'll take better, less grainy pictures if you want more. I need to fiddle with this ridiculous camera on my phone. :P

I definitely got a little carried away with these Gundams. I've built a total of 5 so far and am on a 6th one, all HG. I know nothing about Gundam, just building the ones I think look the coolest. :dopey:

That's how it starts. :lol:

Done. I was going to keep going, but this is already three pictures. :lol:
Thank you, I appreciate it! Those look great! So, from what I can tell with my untrained eye, the MG's look nearly as detailed as the PG's but the level of skill required to build the PG will still be higher than the MG? I was under the impression that the grade also determined the scale, but clearly that isn't the case.

Forgive the questions, the internet has shockingly scattered info from what I've already read about grades. I am also at work. currently. 🤬

In any case, I think once I finish up what I have I will graduate to Master Grade. Seems they do not require paint (I want to avoid paint for a while), but do have more decals and are overall more detailed.

Thank you, I appreciate it! Those look great! So, from what I can tell with my untrained eye, the MG's look nearly as detailed as the PG's but the level of skill required to build the PG will still be higher than the MG?

They look identical, and some are mostly upscaled MGs with more details, but that's really where it ends. The PG Exia has more in common with the RG model, than the MG (Ignition Mode) I have that released in 2009.

I was under the impression that the grade also determined the scale, but clearly that isn't the case.

Do you mean scale as in size, or something else? A PG model will always be 1/60, as opposed to 1/100 for MG/HG, or 1/144 for RG/HGUC, etc

If you meant something else, a few pointers:

• A PG model will always have at least 500 pieces. The Exia has, if I remember correctly, 7-800-something pieces.
  • You can finish an MG in a day or two, easily, or in a few hours if you're pick up one of the older more...hand grenade-y MGs from the early 2000's. :lol:
  • You're not finishing a PG in a single day unless you binge hard. Otherwise, in about the time it takes to build, say, two legs and maybe the waist section on an MG, you'll only have put together one (1) arm or leg.
  • Full articulation fingers.
  • Newer molds place the burden of putting together each and every finger, and it's fun. Tedious at times, because all you want to do is be a five year-old and make it flip the bird, but fun. :lol:
  • You need space. And patience. Spacience.

Forgive the questions, the internet has shockingly scattered info from what I've already read about grades. I am also at work. currently. 🤬

In any case, I think once I finish up what I have I will graduate to Master Grade. Seems they do not require paint (I want to avoid paint for a while), but do have more decals and are overall more detailed.

New HGs have fantastic color separation, so painting is something you can approach when you're ready without the model looking like an absolute eyesore. If you want a taste of what to expect with a PG without the strain on your wallet, look at the RG line — they're all ace. 👍

Thank you for all the info!

Do you mean scale as in size, or something else? A PG model will always be 1/60, as opposed to 1/100 for MG/HG, or 1/144 for RG/HGUC, etc

Yeah, scale as in size. I'm thrown off because above your picture (the last picture) of an MG next to a PG is the same size, but different scale?

Newer molds place the burden of putting together each and every finger, and it's fun. Tedious at times, because all you want to do is be a five year-old and make it flip the bird, but fun. :lol:

I will be doing that, of course. :lol:

You need space. And patience. Spacience.

Space is a concern for now, I don't have the largest area to build these. Even the HG kits take up my entire desk, but I will find the Spaceience™ to do these.

New HGs have fantastic color separation, so painting is something you can approach when you're ready without the model looking like an absolute eyesore. If you want a taste of what to expect with a PG without the strain on your wallet, look at the RG line — they're all ace. 👍
Painting is something I will like to do down the road. My friend, who got me into these in the first place, paints the models she does. Gives them a weathered look, which is fantastic. I will definitely look into the RG line.

Thank you for all the info!

Yeah, scale as in size. I'm thrown off because above your picture (the last picture) of an MG next to a PG is the same size, but different scale?

I will be doing that, of course. :lol:

Space is a concern for now, I don't have the largest area to build these. Even the HG kits take up my entire desk, but I will find the Spaceience™ to do these.

Painting is something I will like to do down the road. My friend, who got me into these in the first place, paints the models she does. Gives them a weathered look, which is fantastic. I will definitely look into the RG line.

Oh, I see what's happening now. The text beneath each picture is for the picture above said text, not beneath it. The last picture is two PGs standing next to one another.

When you think you're ready to start painting, but you want to get your feet wet before going full bore with spray paints, hand painting, or airbrusing, try Gundam Markers. It's the perfect in-between point. Then there's everything you'll want to pick up to improve: sandpaper, panel line pens, etc. It's best you know now: this hobby can get expensive real fast. :lol:

Oh, I see what's happening now. The text beneath each picture is for the picture above said text, not beneath it. The last picture is two PGs standing next to one another.

When you think you're ready to start painting, but you want to get your feet wet before going full bore with spray paints, hand painting, or airbrusing, try Gundam Markers. It's the perfect in-between point. Then there's everything you'll want to pick up to improve: sandpaper, panel line pens, etc. It's best you know now: this hobby can get expensive real fast. :lol:
It's all coming together now, makes sense on the scale sizes now, my bad, I mixed up pictures and text. :cheers:

I will keep that in mind, the Gundam Markers, that sounds like a reasonable starting point. I'm used to expensive hobbies, so long as I pace myself, but considering I built 5 Gundam HGs so far and have 3 more to build, I have not been pacing. Granted, the HG's can take only an hour or so to build, taking my time with high grades will certainly help me restrain from spending. :D

Got to work on the Nissan again today, worked on it most the afternoon. Quite a bit done (again, for me), as I was able to work on the front & rear suspensions, and cockpit portion some more.

Ended up having to spray the white again as it wasn't laid down with enough coats, and I think I was spraying with too low a pressure and it just wasn't putting out the paint. So I sprayed the white and set the body aside to dry and worked on the other parts... Well, got excited about putting the red down tonight and masked the body off and sprayed the red. Which came out great. H O W E V E R, even though I de-tacked the tape it left marks on the white - because of course it wasn't cured enough having just sprayed it a few hours before. :banghead: I guess I just get impatient when I do finally have a chance to work on a model, that I sometimes tend to rush things I wouldn't normally. :rolleyes:

One step forward two steps back with this one. Anyway, slowly figuring out the airbrush - today was the best results I've had with it so far. :thumb2:

A few pics of the progress, sorry, didn't take any of "in progress" steps. . .

enhance

enhance

enhance

I had to mix the blue that is on the rear wing there. Sprayed it just regular Tamiya X-4 Blue and it was waaay too dark. Mixed in some white, and even though it's still too dark it's much better than it was. It won't match the decals (that are blue) perfectly, but that's okay... mainly using this kit as a tester for me getting used to the new airbrush.

Thanks for looking!!

Any first kit is a learning curve... The C7R won't be quite the quality of the Tamiya kit. Never done the RX-7, but on the C7R - separate the front and rear windshields, it will fit better.. I will be doing the same corvette after the Nissan, and got that tip from a friend, said he all kinds of irritations trying to get the "glass" in, until he split it. Good luck with it and post up some build pics when you start it. đź‘Ť

I have decided to collect the JGTC NSX fleet from 1998. Out of the four cars, Tamiya didn't produce the Takata Dome entry. I wonder if it is related to it being the only Honda without a victory that year, or if they just decided to leave it with the Avex Dome car modeled from 1997. In any case I was curious if you guys would know if anyone has made a decal sheet for converting the Castrol car over. I couldn't find anything online.

@Volksauto That's a pretty tough scale, and that looks great!! Funky little car! :lol:đź‘Ť
I pretty much keep to 1/24 and 1/20. I even have some 1/12 stuff to build - mostly MotoGP bikes, but I have a 1/12 Williams F1 car too.

Had a chance to work on the Nissan for two days in a row. She's getting close, and have learned a ton using the airbrush - mostly trial and error, but also having some questions answered by some pro's.

Gotta paint the "glass" rubbers, clear coat, final few assembly pieces...

enhance

enhance

Back