GIFs of cars with tiny difference (tutorial & GT500/MX5/GTR series added)

• Thread starter markwang
  • 314 comments
Thanks!! :D
But there's a little misake, the Reventón goes right after the Murcielagos and before the Aventador :P
The LP640 in GT6 is from 2009, and the Reventon is from 2008. So, I was a bit confused whether to put the Reventon between the LP640 and LP670.

Include the Golf MK I (76) for size comparison. ;)
Also, the MK2 and MK3 GTI should be added in the game...
The LP640 in GT6 is from 2009, and the Reventon is from 2008. So, I was a bit confused whether to put the Reventon between the LP640 and LP670.
Well, but the Murciélago as a whole model, was launched in 2001, way before the Reventón. The LP640 is a version that came out in 2006. And you should consider the SV as just a variation of the same model.

You can also see the evolution of the design, the Reventón looks like a halfway point between the Murciélago and the Aventador.

Last edited:
Also, the MK2 and MK3 GTI should be added in the game...

Well, but the Murciélago as a whole model, was launched in 2001, way before the Reventón. The LP640 is a version that came out in 2006. And you should consider the SV as just a variation of the same model.

You can also see the evolution of the design, the Reventón looks like a halfway point between the Murciélago and the Aventador.
I know that the Reventon is launched after LP640. The gif just follow the the year of the model in GT6. Maybe it's better to put the Reventon between LP640 and LP670

Last edited:
uwCHxLqm.gif

gYjOeqHD.gif

UDBZy7Tm.gif

The first pic is the car from 2011, the 2nd is from 2013, the E-tron Quattro.
I know... he looked and saw variations in aerodynamic parts so I also shared with him this variant to show the long tail model... as if I can't tell the colors black from white

Yes, that is this you are thinking of, the one in game...

View attachment 105027

This was the initial dyno test car, in which many aspects were changed from January to the 1000km of spa. I was actually surprised they did the slant from the intake to the rear wing. When I think of the new Porsche 919 I think of this one, and not the current as it just seems that the front splitter was dropped more for intake to the wheels...

The slight differences you see are things that can be added or taken away. We see similar things like this (forgot the actual name for them) on many DTM cars but taken to the extreme. The FIA allows these to be added to the front to allow more downforce but have to be measured when going under scrutineering to measure the amount of downforce in newtons. Last years R18 e-Tron had two different variants, the one under the same configuration from 2012, and a new test car from the Sebring race called the Long Tail, which the tail or spine of the car was stretched over a few centimeters where the rear diffuser was at maximum length, which provided more downforce.

Here you can see the extension
View attachment 105028

And if you look even closer you can see that the air intake was raised to allow more aerodynamic efficiencies and better fluid dynamics with the air.

Just wanted to help out on this post a little, and provide some additional information to those that may be curious.

The original Prototype had some different aero options to the final car for late regulation and rules changes brought on by the ACO. The two biggest of note are the front body work between the nose and fenders, commonly referred to as "legality covers" for hiding the front suspension components, which under the rules are not supposed to be visible. The ACO changed the rules for this area, stating that it had to be one continuous unbroken panel. As both Pugeot and Audi had been exploiting this area stacking the panels at high angles of attack, effectively using them as additional front wings. You can see on the black test car, that there is a "wing" on the leading edge of the upper panels. This is gone on the final competition car.
It is worth noting, that on the current 2014 rules, this are of the car has been "further defined" under the rules, and as a result we see teams starting to exploit this area again for downforce, under "creative rules interpretations". Funny how a less vague rules makes the area that much more exploitable than before.

The rear fin, or "Big Honk'n Fin" (BHF) as it has become known amongst the teams, was developed specifically into the rules by the ACO to help prevent cars from flipping at high speed. The idea that, when a car spins at high speed, it catches air underneath the chassis, and flips it. The BHF is supposed to act like a gurney to slow the air over the top of the car, and keep it planted to the road. It was feared that BHF trailing down toward the rear wing element might cause a vortex over the top of the fin, and cause the car to react abnormally in a high speed slide. So the rule was changed requiring the BHF be a consistent level line along the reference plane of the cars dimensions. The actual effectiveness of this solution to prevent high speed roll overs is still heavily under debate, as plenty of cars (including the Pugeot) have flipped in a high speed spin, but...it is there for better or worse.

Under the rules, each car must have two sets of body work. While they are commonly referred to as "high speed" and "high downforce" options, it effectively works out as "normal circuit" (high downforce for the WSC Series Sprint Races) and "LeMans" (low downforce for improved straight line speed) aero packages.

The front elements on the car are called "dive planes". Also often referred to as "strakes" or "flow conditioners". Why these are not modeled on the "test car" in Gran Turismo, I do not know. Clearly they were on the car at its launch.

The air inlet was also changed from a fully open inlet hoop, to a portal inlet, likely for flow improvements, improving the way the inlet catches the air off of the front wind screen.

One other area, though it doesn't appear to be modeled, just textured, is the front wheel covers around the lights. You can see a small black hole on the outside of the fender, towards the top of the light, and on the inside of the fender, down low near the flat floor. These are the intake (inside fender), and outlet (outside fender) for the power system on the LED headlights.
Also on the inside, is a black area toward the front of the inside fender. Though it isn't modeled, this area actually had additional brake inlet cooling, as the change to the nose panels, facilitated a change in the cooling inlet location to maintain optimal cooling performance.

I really wish they would put more launch cars, and final competition version cars into the game. The evolution of the development is a fascinating one to me, and I appreciate the form and function of the designs evolution.

This thread title should be changed to "Can you spot the difference(s)?" considering most of the cars shown aren't demonstrating "tiny" differences.

Awesome, I really appreciate all your hard work Mark!

I always thought that models that have multiple years should be shown like this so you can see how they have progressed over the years with the appropriate descriptions telling us the difference with the internals.

I'd love to see the Elise if possible please including racing variants, and also including models built on the same chassis like the Opel Speedster and the Tesla Roadster and the morph into the Evora.

Maybe you could post a tutorial so we can see more of these, I'm sure people would like to show off all the aero kits of various cars, particularly those from the "interesting , cool variations" thread?

Amazing job! An idea: why don't compare the stock models with their RM counterpart? Like stock Elise with Elise RM. ; )

And, congratulations!

Back