Going back to controller

• Thread starter JayRS200
  • 302 comments
I also set myself up in front of a big screen and often use cockpit view for qualifying (I'll race with it one day) but I wonder if, outside of immersion, it is truly better. It's the consensus that in shooters, a smaller monitor is better than large so you can see the whole screen or because your eyes have to travel less from one point of intel to another. I'm curious as to what people think of this in regards to racing games.

Imo the bigger the screen the more precise you can be in a game such as gts. Plus if your screen is like a 65 and your eyes are close and centered cockpit is imo by far the best to use.
I think on pc many guys use tiny fast hz monitors, for a couple reasons-one frame rate two smaller screen looks better at lower resolution like 1080.
I’ve now experienced higher frame rate 1080 vs 4K 60 in some pc title like rfactor2 and automobilista2.
My tv is pretty new so it doubles nicely as a monitor. When hdmi 2.1 update gets pushed out it will have potential for 4K 120hz.
As far as small monitors, I could see using those but only on triples, which I never see myself doing.
A single pancake (modern low lag in pc mode native 4K) is quite immersive. It’s natural in gts and other titles the way you see the mirrors, it’s like real driving.
With a pc you can set a precise fov which is very nice and you can adjust more your in car viewpoint, eliminate the wheel hands animation, and the ai is competitive.
When you get it right, which I find does take time, it’s mind blowing.
Rfactor2 ffb/physics is simply outstanding imo. Automobilista is great also and looks fantastic. Dynamic weather is amazing, the first time I sat in the pits a few minutes while doing something away and came back to different lighting was rad.
But re gts yes a large screen imo is advantageous regardless how you play. You can better maximize track limits you see more of everything, it’s just way better. I’m just not sure if I will continue it going forward, unless there’s a great combo. After feeling ffb in the other games....

Last edited:
Just because it works.
image.png

Not trying to hurt anyone’s feeling but your input device doesn’t make your game a simulator, nor does the camera view you use, the software/game itself does. Playing ACC with a pad is more simulation than playing GT with a wheel. Because ACC is more of a sim, the input device has no bearing on sim/game. Surely a true simulator wouldn’t need to have gamey things like prize cars, credits and XP. ;)

To compare a game pad to simulator FFB wheel setup you must be a gamer and that is ok you have to start some where in online simulator racing. You need a good FFB wheel setup to have the simulator experience. If you read what Thrustmaster, Fanatec and others are saying the wheel setup is the simulator, It interprets the software to give us what we see and feel.

I have tried most of the The simulator gaming that will includes Flight with a joystick ,rudder pedals and throttle, RC flying with transmitter controller (Clone of a 6 Chanel futaba transmitter) , IRacing , ACC , Project Cars on my PC. There is Nothing I have tried on the PC other then the RC flight simulator that gave me the experience I was looking for.

The Plug and Play of the PS4 pro took out the constant tweaking of the PC . I also can say I know what I was looking for in a simulator because I have experience all the things in real life that I tried simulate in my game room.

To compare a game pad to simulator FFB wheel setup you must be a gamer and that is ok you have to start some where in online simulator racing. You need a good FFB wheel setup to have the simulator experience. If you read what Thrustmaster, Fanatec and others are saying the wheel setup is the simulator, It interprets the software to give us what we see and feel.
You do realize that you're a gamer too don't you? You're using a using a video game console to run a video game while using a video game accessory as a control input :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Are you high?

GTS options in controllers there is only one DS4 controller and 7 wheel and pedal setups, 5 are Thrustmaster , one Logitech and one Fanatec. There is only three under$300 and 4 over . You tell me if $ 500 is to high for a good FFB wheel setup and a load cell brake. Simulator online racing is not cheap but it is not out of reach.

You do realize that you're a gamer too don't you? You're using a using a video game console to run a video game while using a video game accessory as a control input :rolleyes:
If you want to call what you do is gaming that is fine with me, what I am doing is online racing with a simulator with competition from around the world . We just call it what we want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I knew this would be gold the moment I saw this:

upload_2021-3-29_23-59-14.png

I am not tying to hurt anybody’s feelings if you want to play a racing game driving with a chase cam you do not need a wheel and pedals and you will be as good as anyone else playing. Now if you want more than playing a game you need to be looking at building a simulator. The bare minimum will be about $500 and If anyone with a T-80 complaining he can do better with his DS4 controller he is absolutely RIGHT!
This you?
upload_2021-3-30_0-3-55.png
I'm crap, and I could do better than your bare minimum $500 setup with a Guitar Hero controller.

But hey, you continue on your bizarre wheel elitism crusade.

Last edited:
I went back and forth for the longest time in the GT4 and GT5P days. It took me like 3 years to get used to the wheel and pedals just to even get the instinct on how to correct the car to prevent a big mess up. Even then, I wasn't as fast as on the controller. But the big thing for me was that is was 100% more fun and a new spin on what I'd been doing for 10 years at that point.

So I'd recommend using whatever you have the most fun with. If you have more fun winning with a controller, cool! Or if you'd rather stick it out with the wheel (you will adapt and learn, trust me everyone eventually does - give it time) and space isn't a concern at your house, that's great too.

I've seen guys be literally equally as good with both a controller and wheel. They were also one of the best on the planet at the time, but still. Anyway, do what you have more fun with or what works for you 👍

Jerome

GTS options in controllers there is only one DS4 controller and 7 wheel and pedal setups, 5 are Thrustmaster , one Logitech and one Fanatec. There is only three under$300 and 4 over . You tell me if $ 500 is to high for a good FFB wheel setup and a load cell brake. Simulator online racing is not cheap but it is not out of reach.

You can get a perfectly useable set up for 250. Tops.

Second hand wheel/pedals, wood, screws, and a seat from a junk yard.

Or, you can just use the DS4. Because this is a game. Not a "simulator" . . As much as you wish it was. Granted, it simulates racing pretty well. But, that's all it does.

This elitism delusion of yours is hilarious. There is nothing special about using a wheel. Nothing. Whatsoever. It's just a matter of immersion.

You can get a perfectly useable set up for 250. Tops.

Second hand wheel/pedals, wood, screws, and a seat from a junk yard.

Or, you can just use the DS4. Because this is a game. Not a "simulator" . . As much as you wish it was. Granted, it simulates racing pretty well. But, that's all it does.

This elitism delusion of yours is hilarious. There is nothing special about using a wheel. Nothing. Whatsoever. It's just a matter of immersion.

I have to say yes ! I can not use a DS4 for the reason I am NOT looking for a gaming immersion with GTS . I am looking for online racing with a simulator controller using GTS software.
Good luck finding a T-GT wheel setup used for $250.

I have to say yes ! I can not use a DS4 for the reason I am NOT looking for a gaming immersion with GTS . I am looking for online racing with a simulator controller using GTS software.

Congratulations. I think? You're still playing a game, with a gaming controller, in your living room/bedroom/man cave, like everyone else on this website.

There is nothing special about you.
There is nothing special about your control method.
There is nothing special about anybody on this site.
We're all just gamers.

Whether you can accept that or not, is something else.

Good luck finding a T-GT wheel setup used for $250.

Who said anything about a TGT?

Oh, I forgot. You're the kinda halfwit who thinks you have to spend megabucks to be a "sim racer."

Last edited:
Well I've been back on the controller for a while now and enjoying the game more. I like the chilled aspect of using the pad better. My last race with the wheel was with a Gr2 Honda NSX (the older version) at a DTS daily race and got a win. I could control the pointy MR cars better with the wheel and that's 1 thing I'll miss as I gravitate to pointy cars more as I hate the understeer in GTS. The Lambo Gr3 was beautiful with wheel too. Also the Lambo and Audi Gr3 were great in the wet. It would take me thousands of miles of practice with a pad to be as good in the wet with those cars with a wheel.

@Johnnn... You're way off the mark buddy and come across a kinda low IQish troll. I know these games more than you'll ever know, and now I have recent experience of going from pad to wheel back to pad, I can safely say again there are no assists. If anything, the pad still has a tyre wear handicap, how much worse depending on how it's utilised.

All you need to do to discover how much assist the game gives pad users is try driving the Tomahawk VGT with a wheel then a pad, the car is virtually undrivable with the wheel and a totally different experience on a pad.

Last edited:
Oh I knew this would be gold the moment I saw this:

This you?
I'm crap, and I could do better than your bare minimum $500 setup with a Guitar Hero controller.

But hey, you continue on your bizarre wheel elitism crusade.
I wasn't going to jump in here, but now I have to. All of the following is MY OPINION...ONLY. Take it as you want.

1. I do believe, from what I've seen/felt, that a controller has built in assists. I've seen controller driven cars do things that you just can't get away with on a wheel, no matter your skill level.

2. Game, sim, call it what you want. It's an online race game that does a good job at simulating racing against real people. If it was a real simulator, I would feel the G forces, and it would hurt when I hit the wall...and I would be wearing a seat belt.

3. If that is really your record, sim or not, you should never get behind the wheel of a real car, and I wouldn't want to be on the same road as you...just saying.

On the original topic last week I moved from controller to wheel. I was slower to start with, but have gotten back to where I was, maybe a little quicker, but that's because I was a right stick gas/brake user and I find it easier to trail brake with a pedal.

I did this because I find it more fun and immersive. I certainly don't care what input device anyone else is using. If @Famine can race clean with a guitar hero controller, I'd enjoy that race the same as if they used a controller or a wheel. Actually maybe more, I'd certainly be impressed.

Oddly, sitting in my diy rig using a wheel and pedals didn't make me better at determining braking points or turn in spots. It also didn't help me figure out good overtaking sections, or how much earlier or later to brake to attack or defend.

In the end it really doesn't matter the input device. Real cars have throttles that convert the pedal movement to electric signal. You could theoretically replace the gas pedal with a ds4. Steering assist, self parking, etc. It all boils down to input that causes more fuel to be injected, brakes to be applied or steering racks to move right or left.

I feel like most people could run pretty equivalent times with practice, either going from controller to wheel or vice versa. I'm not losing to more people now that I have a wheel, so the DS4 wasn't making me any faster, assists or not.

Here is the difference I see between gamer using a DS4 controller and a online simulator driver with a FFB wheel and pedal setup.

1) The DS4 gamer has a finger to adjust the throttle / The Sim Driver has a right foot and leg to adjust his throttle pedal .

2) The DS4 gamer has a finger to adjust his braking. / The Sim Driver has a left foot and leg to adjust his pedal braking. (#1 and #2 can be done with heel and toe if he or she wants)

3) The DS4 gamer has a one thumb to adjust the direction of his race car. / The Sim driver can use one or two hands and arms to adjust the direction of his race car.

4) The DS4 gamer has a finger to up shift or down shift if he wants to drive with a manual transmission. / The Sim Driver can use the paddle shifters or can use his left foot and leg to apply a clutch pedal and use his right or left hand and arm to use a 7 speed shifter (left or right side of the wheel) to select the manual transmission gear of choice.

All the real cars and trucks will have a steering wheel , throttle, Brake, Shifter and a clutch for most manual transmissions to drive . There is No DS4 controller-like controls using your fingers to operate the vehicle on roads and highways .

I do not race online for a Alphabet rating I do it for the competition between drivers with qualifying times that makes for close racing. Where is the fun in racing when there is no one to pass or someone trying pass you.
Sorry I hurt feeling when I call what I do Simulator Racing.

Last edited:
Here is the difference I see between gamer using a DS4 controller and a online simulator driver with a FFB wheel and pedal setup.

1) The DS4 gamer has a finger to adjust the throttle / The Sim Driver has a right foot and leg to adjust his throttle pedal .

2) The DS4 gamer has a finger to adjust his braking. / The Sim Driver has a left foot and leg to adjust his pedal braking. (#1 and #2 can be done with heel and toe if he or she wants)

3) The DS4 gamer has a one thumb to adjust the direction of his race car. / The Sim driver can use one or two hands and arms to adjust the direction of his race car.

4) The DS4 gamer has a finger to up shift or down shift if he wants to drive with a manual transmission. / The Sim Driver can use the paddle shifters or can use his left foot and leg to apply a clutch pedal and use his right or left hand and arm to use a 7 speed shifter (left or right side of the wheel) to select the manual transmission gear of choice.

All the real cars and trucks will have a steering wheel , throttle, Brake, Shifter and a clutch for most manual transmissions to drive . There is No DS4 controller-like controls using your fingers to operate the vehicle on roads and highways .

I do not race online for a Alphabet rating I do it for the competition between drivers with qualifying times that makes for close racing. Where is the fun in racing when there is no one to pass or someone trying pass you.
So you've just explained why it actually makes it tougher for a person used to driving autos in the real world such as myself to learn to drive on a DS4 and actually be smooth, consistent and fast.

And you want close racing. So if we are able to do that on the DS4 and provide the close racing and fun experience you so crave why do you want to treat us as second class citizens within the confines of the game?

I don't have a right foot or right leg yet I use what you would call a simulator, so my question is am I gamer or a simulator driver... or both, or neither? I obviously don't fit into your very niche little description. And I use fingers to change gears just like the person with a DS4 :crazy:

There's also this...

Shock, horror! He's driving with his fingers on a simulator. That's just crazy :dopey:

You talk the talk but your stats look like you commute to the finish line instead of racing to it.

As for the simulator/gaming debate, I'm still getting therapy from the last time we spoke about it.

It doesn't matter what you want to call it. Or what your input method is.

You are a gamer. Like the rest of us.

You're sat in your living room, using a toy, to play a game.

Last edited:
If you drive faster as a gammer with a DS4 controller then as a sim driver with a FFB wheel setup . Is that telling you that you can not keep your Alphabet rating unless you switch back to your gammer pad ?

Last edited:
If you drive faster as a gammer with a DS4 controller then a sim driver with a FFB wheel setup . Is that telling you that you can not keep your Alphabet rating unless you switch back to your gammer pad ?
The point you keep seemingly deliberately missing is that the controller user is just as much of a sim driver as you are using a wheel... and that you're both gamers. Ratings have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
The point you keep seemingly deliberately missing is that the controller user is just as much of a sim driver as you are using a wheel... and that you're both gamers. Ratings have nothing to do with it.
How many games in the Sony game library can you use a FFB wheel as a controller. My guess there is no gamer looking for a wheel for a point and shoot game . The wheel setup is only use to simulate driving and is primarily for racing. I use a simulator I put together with all the controls that a basic real race car has. GTS is my choice of software and PS4 Pro console computer for online racing. If you want to call me a gamer I really don’t care but I will not call what I do Gaming.

Last edited:
How many games in the Sony game library can you use a FFB wheel as a controller. My guess there is no gamer looking for a wheel for a point and shoot game . The wheel setup is only use to simulate driving and is primarily for racing. I use a simulator I put together with all the controls that a basic real race car has. GTS is my choice of software and PS4 Pro console computer for online racing. If you want to call me a gamer I really don’t care but I will not call what I do Gaming.
Dude get a grip with reality.
Your not on a simulator,you are not on a computer. You are using a gaming peripheral and a gaming console. If you want a "racing simulator" I suggest Google is your friend. GT Sport,PS4 isn't even in the same boat/league/field/universe, pick something as a "racing simulator" compared to games on a high end PC. That's why "simulators" run on high end expensive "computers" Get off the pot already. You are playing a console version of a racing game using a gaming peripheral. "Racing Simulators" cost $20,to umpteen thousands of dollars and they sure as hell aren't using a PS4 and GT Sport to Simulate it.

Last edited:

You don't call what you do gaming?

So, why are you playing a game? Real simulators don't allow pad input.

Why are you using a PS4? REAL simulators don't use GAMING consoles.

Why are you using cheap, low end gear, that feels nothing like a real car? It's not simulating anything.

Last edited:
Dude get a grip with reality.
Your not on a simulator,you are not on a computer. You are using a gaming perephal and a gaming console. If you want a racing simulator I suggest Google is your friend. GT Sport isn't even in the same boat as a racing simulator compared to games on PC. Get off the pot already. You are playing a console version of a racing game using a gaming peripheral. "Racing Simulators" cost $20,to 30 thousand dollars and they sure as hell aren't using a PS4 and GT Sport to Simulate it.

So, you are right AND wrong. :)
Yes, anyone who has played on pc in something like rfactor2 knows the difference from console to pc. It is absolutely two seperate caregories re driving physics ffb graphics frame rate etc. The console is the console. The driving on GTS is imo great for what it is.
Gts requires fundamentally good inputs to be fast.
So imo you’re right obviously correct driving something on decent pc in a title like that vs GTS.
It’s two seperate universes.
Now, where you are imo wrong is about GTS simulating RACING.
Imo it does a fantastic job of that.
Man vs man FAIR racing. Sure the driving dynamics are really incomparable but PVP online GTS is great at simulating racing it has every IMPORTANT aspect.
It has all the emotions of human v human competition and looks pretty good.
Obviously it’s not pc, and will never be, but it captures the ESSENCE of racing which is competition very well. It SIMULATES racing.
PC is fabulous. GTS is fabulous.
I personally love going online in GTS and competing against players from all over the world with times within hundredths of mine literally whenever I feel like it. So, it IS.a great simulator in those terms.
It’s fabulous that it’s so accessible. Anyone with talent and desire can race against the best with a PS and DS4. That’s AWESOME.
What literally makes no sense here is this guy talking about needing to use wheel on gts.
His comments have been nonsense from the get go. Imo it’s a troll.
But, there’s always the possibility that it’s not.
I think the only positive I can add is if a person really loves pure driving they owe it to themselves to give pc a go. I wish I had done so sooner.
Quality wise no contest fugetaboutit.

There’s something about GTS though. It has a magic. The melding of the various aspects available the aspects of racing and tech and all, imo it’s damn near perfect for the hardware excepting pen system problems. Even with those it’s got the magic.
The vibe. I’m just fearful they are going to change it for the next title and destroy the magic. I’m in no hurry for ps5, may not buy it, but love GTS.
Jmo

Cheers

Last edited:
Back