Gran Turismo 1 Videos

I just love the Accord Wagon :)
By the way I'm almost certain that our friend Submaniac could win the All Night II with one of those! :)

Your video is cool, did you lose the race because of this gigantic slide across the finish line? :D

Seems your capture card is configured to use a 15 fps only... but apart this detail, the quality is good :)

Me too, the Honda Accord Wagon rocks. :w00t: It's fun racing something which wasn't meant for racing, you know? It was meant for hauling plywood and taking 2.2 kids + the family dog to soccer practice.

Yes, as you can see, I did the slide across the finish but started too early! :lol: It's amazing I made 2nd place. The wagon's trunk made it across the line just in time.

Seems your capture card is configured to use a 15 fps only... but apart this detail, the quality is good :)

Yikes... I've gotta figure how to get it higher than 15. What sort of device are you using?

Like I said though, I really had to struggle. NO picture on my TV or my computer. That's where I started. Got a picture on my TV, but not the computer. Got the Haupppauge working finally, but there was no sound. Got sound (it sounded good when recording) but this sound was all choppy during playback! :mad:

Finally I decided to start all over, uninstalled the Hauppauge software and reinstalled everything. Turns out there was some Audio Decoders which were missing. Anyway, if anybody else has some problems with a Hauppauge PVR 2 HD, I may be able to help by now.

More vids to come!

Last edited:
For me I am using the Elgato HD60 S+ & recording the gameplay from my PS3.
HDMI Splitter is needed as well.

Me too, the Honda Accord Wagon rocks. :w00t: It's fun racing something which wasn't meant for racing, you know? It was meant for hauling plywood and taking 2.2 kids + the family dog to soccer practice.
:D
Reason why I did this lil' challenge here: beat the Sunday Cup with the perfect Mummy's car with no upgrade!
Yes, as you can see, I did the slide across the finish but started too early! :lol: It's amazing I made 2nd place. The wagon's trunk made it across the line just in time.
:)
What sort of device are you using?
Like Evanzo, I use the Elgato thing, but the bottom of the range "Video Capture". It's really plug and play, with basic features, some would say a bit expansive for these low features :/ . But it's stable and it works, despite a severe tendency (on my gear at least) to start the recording on a mixed frame (1 even + 1 odd frames from the interlaced signal getting out of the PS2 mixed together, which kind of blurs the picture :( )

And, because every pretext is good to make a vid' with wagons, here's the Subaru Touring Wagon, in full stock mode, beating the Clubman Cup :mad:

P.S.: have you seen that the internal flanks of this great wagon's tires are in a clear grey? Instead of the usual dark grey/black? ;)

Last edited:
Ha, you even drove the G Package Demio in that Sunday Cup! :lol: If I recall, that's the slowest of the slow Demios. I have often thought of Demios as a bad habit which Polyphony Digital refuses to break. :lol: The Honda Accord Wagon? That got traded for the Odyssey. But the Demio lives on and on... it did not get bumped for (let's say) a Mazda MPV or Tribute. I wonder if Demios made it into GT Sport?

Nice job skooling those others with your Subaru there ! That's another wagon I've got a lot of experience with. What do you mean about the internal flanks of the wheels?

I tried to make a video again last night but the 15 fps thing persists. :mad: I refuse to post anything until I solve this, because looking at vids I made back in 2018 (in the start of this thread) those have smooth framerates. The problem seems to lie between my computer and YouTube. Everything looks fine on my computer, whether I've viewing the race in Hauppauge or if I click + view the race which got saved onto my computer. For some reason, when I load to YT that's the the frames drop. :rolleyes: Maybe there's some setting on YT I can tweak, but so far I haven't found it.

Thanks ;)
I appreciate the Clubman Cup with stock 276hp cars, it's a bit like a shorten Normal Cup :)

Strange, this framerate thing. What tells the "Details" tab, in the "Properties" when you right-click on the video file you made? The real framerate should appear (if your comp runs windows..)

My remark was about the inner sidewalls of the Legacy Wagon's tires; it's a more light grey color than on other cars :)

There are some other mistakes in some cars modelling, like the Celica GTFour; the rear spoiler cuts the exhaust pipe in two, and its grey is quite clear where it should be dark (I think)

Okay I see what you mean by the wheel coloration thing. I bet GT2 has 10 times as many flaws, as well. It must be fun finding little stuff like this.

Strange, this framerate thing. What tells the "Details" tab, in the "Properties" when you right-click on the video file you made? The real framerate should appear (if your comp runs windows..)

It says 28 frames per second ,which seems about right. But I also discovered that those videos are being saved through Windows Media Player, and now I'm thinking that this could be out of date. I should try an MP4 later. See if that makes a diff.

Last edited:
28fps is already weird. PAL games run at 25 fps interlaced (50 real frames) and NTSC at 30 (60) fps. Try setting your recording to 30 (I assume you're NTSC) and see how it goes. If it's still choppy, go 60. It'll take more space on your pc but no more choppiness

Or the speed of your USB port? If I plug the Elgato Gizmo in a "standard" USB thing, it just warn me "idiot, you need at least a USB 2.0 for me to work properly :mad: "
(swear it's true, including the smiley)

Last edited:
Thanks for you assistance, everyone. I got everything working. In the Hauppauge's Video Quality section all I had to do was toggle MP4 on. Some other setting was toggled on instead. :dunce: So here we go.

Nothing special, just a Viper laying carnage during the GT World Cup. Nowadays I think I would use a Honda Accord Wagon instead, or some other underdog. But back in 2003 when I was new to GT1 I didn't challenge myself as much.

I do have some better videos to come, stay tuned!!

Also: Very nice, Submaniac93! :) That's proof that Demios can Dominate. I shall watch that endurance more in-depth some time this week. I'm a mechanic and it gets slow sometimes, especially with COVID going on.

Last edited:
Hey, the video quality's nice, now :) 👍
Yes any Viper in the game is a bit of an overkill... You can even win the World Cup with a non-RM one, and the GV300 isn't a prob, with the same non-RM. Did it recently but didn't save the replay, the NSX LM GT-2 finished behind the RT/10 160 seconds later (not fun :boggled: )

But still, the World Cup with "THE" Wagon is hard. The only time I could make it, I had no serious opponents. Yet the only 326hp car I won a World Cup with (including real AI cars), is the Celica SS-II. And I had to use quite unfair driving style against the NSX.

Sir (or Lord?) Submaniac did it quietly with a Lantis, by the way! :mad: ;)

Last edited:
I think I read that in some guide, how the Viper can win anything. Still, that's impressive you drove one without racing livery. :cheers:

Wow, Submaniac drove a Lantis! That is one car I have never used. :eek:

I am watching your Demio Route 11 en;durance video now, by the way. :) Did you just choose Super Soft tires? I can't remember exactly how long they'll last; it's been over a decade since I've race in the GT. I assume you'll be making a pit at lap 4 or 5?

It is neat seeing your dual shock controller as you race. You tend to pull the steering stick toward you as you turn. I wonder if I do the same. In my head I always picture steering straight across. But maybe I pull sometimes too.

Okay, those tires lasted until lap 16, so that's a lot longer than I expected. I think GT3 and 4 are the ones with ridiculously fast tire wear (especially for front-drives and AWDs).

You won in a Demio. :cheers: and the cool thing is that RX-7 was only 4 seconds behind. That's the kind of racing I like--keeping it close, rather than lapping everybody.

I have a lot to watch. Let me catch up before I post another video.

Last edited:
Okay well I'm all caught up. You two are real heroes to me, racing some underdog cars. :cheers: Here is my next video.

As you can see, the best part is the nice feint motion slide I got as I drove my white Accord Wagon into Grand Valley East's hairpin. And THEN in lap 2, I tried to do the same thing again, but the wagon's rear wheels slipped into the sand! :eek: Because it's a front-drive car, I was able to still maintain traction, and safely kept the car moving sideways.

Last edited:
Hah thank you, Mr. Parnelli, that's kind of you. But don't put me on the same level than Submaniac or Sough for examples. They are strong. And they drive clean.
And, yesterday eve I've lost a GV300 in the Accord Wagon against the Impreza by 79 seconds. Just can't go under 1'40''/lap in the best case, so it's dead. That's no heroic thing :ouch:
From my side, I seem to really appreciate the titles of your replays, as much as the vids itself ;)

Last vid, with 66,7% of American cars:

I have lost a few endurance races too. :) Granted, some races I've lost by only a few seconds... those are the ones I remember forever. Because sometimes it really does come down to which lap we made our pit stop and so on. But I'd rather lose by let's say 4 seconds than defeat everyone by 40.

Which car are you driving? I assume the yellow Vette, eh? Did you Gameshark that Vette? I seem to remember it is only available during Arcade mode.

Ah, there it is, the red Dodge 'Concept Car'. :cheers: In real-life, this was going to be called Dodge Copperhead but apparently Dodge had some problems because some other company owns the name Copperhead in America. Something like that.

Last edited:
Yes the Vette, and yes, it has been gamesharked ( by a dear compatriot of mine ;) ). I just had to copy onto a Mem Card I did for the PS2, as I still play on console :)
And yes, the '67 Vette only appears in GT Mode in a Spot Race, sometimes (Trial Mountain).

The orange Concept Car / Copperhead is really cool in GT1, despite a cruel lack of power in the tuned form. But in stock mode you can win some stuffs:
FR Challenge
Clubman Cup
Normal Cup
:)

Talking 'bout failed races, a Uk vs Japan I did recently. I have the feeling it's possible on PAL (I've seen once a vid' on youtube where some guy beat it on a Japanese version), but I can't do it. For now. Maybe one day, with a bit more of luck.

Last edited:
That MX5 looks hot. What a good-looking car. I love its livery. Your driving is improved in this first race, you aren't going into the grass as often. :)

I forgot how often we "catch air" in this game, right? A lot of bumps in the road cause our car to fly for a moment or two. Good job fighting that Supra during the first race! At some other tracks it's obvious the Mazda is too underpowered. But it does better during the twisty bits.

Grand Valley II is a super-close finish!

Here is my race for today, it is a Dodge Concept at the Test Track. Not sure which race series this was from. I don't remember if there was a Mega Speed Series or whatever.

I can just imagine how amped I was to break 200 miles per hour for the first time! :eek:

Last edited:
The MX-5 is a cool car, in real life & in GT1, despite its super-weird steering, can't get used to it :boggled:
Also I guess it's even better in the NTSC versions of GT1, it seems it's a bit lighter than in PAL.
And yes, it is so light that it's hard to not fly with it ;)

Hmm, I guess you had short gear ratios, for this Megaspeed Cup race @ Test Track. I'm not sure 'cause I rarely use it, but I remember that the Concept Car "LM" can reach 250 mph+ with drafting.

Sometimes I manage to win something: a World Cup with the quite underrated R32 GTS25, naturally aspirated and "only" 336 hp:

This great ride can also win the Tuned Cup, by the way.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I drove a real MX-5. :) Everybody I work with hates them because they're so cramped, but I always loved when a customer brought one in. Can you say the words "Test drive (for an hour?)" :lol:

Okay, yes you are racing a rear-drive Skyline instead of a GT-R. You are brave! OH shoot, you only made 4th in the first race, while everybody else got a huge lead.

That is one thing I've completely forgotten about the first GT--there is no rubberbanding. :confused: In GT2 they'd all be swarming around us, and each other, in a lot of races. But in the first game everybody forms a 'train' and it looks like they rarely swarm around us.

Again, the Skyline is doing better at twisty tracks. Trail Mountain is going better. YES, just got by the leading Subaru.

I have to get back to work, I'll finish watching later. Today I have a 2002 Toyota Prius which got a dead mouse caught in its blower motor area. Customer was complaining about a 'bad smell' and yeap, found the dead mouse in there a couple hours later.

Last edited:
Oh no, GT1 has a lot of rubberband, but it's toned down in the harder events. Same in gt2 really, just depends on the event difficulty. The easier the event, the more there's rubberband (see the Sunday Cup in both)

Oh no, GT1 has a lot of rubberband, but it's toned down in the harder events. Same in gt2 really, just depends on the event difficulty. The easier the event, the more there's rubberband (see the Sunday Cup in both)

In the sunday cup sub 150hp cars could do a 45s quali time on Autumn Ring Mini, where the Supra GT 3.0 with 230hp cant, yet when in the race, they do 50s+
Even on higher speed tracks the AI pulls of some insane times.

Quali times in gt1 aren't representative ti the actual cars. They're calculated times based on some simulation of best case scenario what a car could do. It totally ignores the gear top speed of them as well as any suspension issues they might have (the infamous car shake of gt1). This is the reason why the MR2 GTS gets <6th spots on Test Course. There's no rubberband active until there's an actual race going on.
Qualu times are pretty insane though, for sure x)

Neat, I didn't know qualifying times are based on some sort of algorithm.

And now that you mention it, I do remember some rubberbanding in easier GT1 races. I remember intentionally slowing down in the Sunday Cup, and all the competitors also slowed down, even though they were way ahead of me.

[...] And now that you mention it, I do remember some rubberbanding in easier GT1 races. I remember intentionally slowing down in the Sunday Cup, and all the competitors also slowed down, even though they were way ahead of me.
I prepared a short (very boring) vid' to illustrate the point :dopey:

On PAL, during the Sunday Cup, on Autumn Ring Mini, if you place your car in 6th position or in 1st, the rubberbanding can represent 12 seconds. Not bad.
The two visual landmarks I used to estimate the difference in time, with the synchronized 4-screens vid (1st screenshot taken at 1min 19sec, the other at 1min 31sec):

Rubberband in GT 'multiplies' all-ish car physics attributes, higher is faster.
So it softens-stiffens suspension, slowers-quickens gears shifts, reduces-increases the speed factor, decreases-increases tire grip, a'd more.
You can see on the MR2 above that the slow one almost breaks grip in a lot of the turns, despite going like 70kph (though it still is technically going 100 or more, just multiplied down).
On the shaky cars such as the [R] NSX S-Zero and the [R] Lantis, it severely reduces the shakiness of their suspension, while on the megaspeed Skyline R33, if you're far enough to trigger the rubberband, its sound will doppler-glitch, showing that it's actually going ~300kph when its gearbox limits it to 275kph.

Wow, I didn't know PD programmed all of that for the first GT. Still, it's not as bad as GT2. I remember cars swarming all around us during a lot of races. If somebody spun fully into the sand at Laguna Seca for instance, the next lap that same car would somehow magically be right behind me again. :rolleyes: A former GTP member named Sucahyo was able to discover that in GT2, the game automatically gives these cars more tire-grip if they fall far behind. :rolleyes:

Mouc, you are driving the red Viper in each video? Okay I think I see what you are saying. So if the Viper takes off with a huge lead, one car (the green Toyota in this case) will attempt to keep up. If the Viper remains in 6th place, everybody remains tight together. They feel sorry for you. :lol:

Here is today's video. According to my title (on the memory card) this was my first win at Special Stage Route 11. I think I was pretty happy about it at the time, probably did a lot of practicing.

I am noticing I hardly made any mistakes at all, unlike some of my other videos so far. :) I also didn't bounce over many curbs. Yeah, I really must have practiced this one well.

Last edited:
Cool! The SVX sound is great. One of my favorites in the game. Your driving is clean, it's a fact.
Looks like you set up a huge amount of camber, at the front! :eek: I personally never go above 2° or 2.5° ... :)

Back