Gran Turismo 1 Videos

Here is my latest. It's just a Spot Race.

Me trying to re-hone my skills in this first, low-tech game after over a decade of not playing it. Mostly, it comes down to trying not to use too much steering input, yet going for that delicate balance of also getting that front-end to steer in accurately. It's pretty tough in this game. In the later games (GT3, 4, and 5) I usually out-corner them because they brake too much and corner too slowly. In this first game, the opposite is often true. They manage to keep their speed up, problem is they don't always know when (IF) to brake. And so we spend half our time trying to avoid their sloppy cornering messes as they drive off-track, and the other half trying to keep them from bumping or wall-riding us. :mad:

Nice win-while-drafting at the very end. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, the Legacy is not a very fast car, but very good at cornering. I think only excellent drivers could achieve a 2nd place @High Speed Ring, the first race in Megaspeed. Provided also that you don't have to face the R33 GT-R or the Supra RZ, but only the GTO.

To change a bit from "classical races", a video about the "Slipstream mistakes" made by the computer driven opponents, sometimes :)

0:00 R32 GT-R "Nismo" (Tuned Cup)
0:18 NSX Type S Zero (GT Cup)
0:40 NSX Type R (Tuned Cup)
0:57 TVR Griffith 500 (GT Cup)
1:12 NSX LM GT2 (GT World Cup)
1:30 R33 GT-R (GT Cup)

Matej -- nice to see you have joined us here. :cheers: Wow, 367 km/h at the Test Track. I can't recall ever seeing that Corvette in a Spot Race as well. I think GT does rubberband the AI a bit in these races, but you also made some skillful moves, especially as you leave and enter turns at Trial Mountain. Is that your voice saying "America first?"
And I thought nobody would point that out. :) Nah, It's the original voice. I should have used it on the last corner, it would be more meaningful there.

I'm not surprised to see them making such mistakes, slipstream really adds nice boost to your speed.

America First with the legendary Corvette C2, but also with the Camaro Z28 in its great Cayenne Red livery in the easy FR Challenge :)

Not so easy with a full stock Camaro by the way, despite very good grip and torque, but so heavy and with that awful gearbox :mad:

I love the part when you go through the first hairpin at GV and the Mazda's banging doors with you, all mad because you just stole first place!

PD also screwed up the Corvettes and Camaros' engines in GT and GT2, as well. I think their peak power is located up near 7,000 rpms in the game; something too high like this. In real-life these V8 engines have their power located more mid-range (5,500 or so). PD corrected this mistake finally in GT3.

I have a memory card with

Last edited:
I don't think the gears are screwed up, rather that they use the automatic gearbox ratios (hence the 4 gears). They switched to the man6 gearboxes in gt2, which improved the cars a lot

Agreed :)
What's really wrong is the fact that hydraulic torque converters are not modelized for the Camaro, but also for the Mazda Cosmo (13 & 20B) or the RX-7 with automatic gearboxes (and maybe the Accord Wagon, if I'm not wrong).
This hurts, as the RPM where you have the torque is not stable, unlike it is in real life.

Evanzo -- excellent wins at Grand Valley and Route 5 II. Again, it's amazing you can race & talk & make the video at the same time. Again and again I cringe when you almost slam walls, brake too late and go deep into redline down those long straights! :ouch:

Basically you cringe during my whole video! :lol:

SSR5 could have gone a little better I admit haha!

It was nice to hear your happiness when you got the Chaser LM Edition at the end of the series :)
Childhood memories...
[...]So what better than our trusty Impreza!
A full stock Viper?
By the way I think it is the only car in the game able to win the GT Cup with absolutely no upgrades. It's almost possible with the Nismo 400R or one of the TVR's, but almost... Because Semi-racing tires are mandatory with these cars (I think) :)

Last edited:
It was nice to hear your happiness when you got the Chaser LM Edition at the end of the series :)
Childhood memories...

A full stock Viper?
By the way I think it is the only car in the game able to win the GT Cup with absolutely no upgrades. It's almost possible with the Nismo 400R or one of the TVR's, but almost... Because Semi-racing tires are mandatory with these cars (I think) :)

Was delighted to see the Chaser LM, I half forgot about it, so to see it again was awesome!

As for the full stock Viper, all credit to you.
I don't think I have the patience or the ability to even attempt that! I enjoy watching you challenging yourself in these videos however!

Thanks ;)
Very little & short challenge tonight (FR Challenge), but fun enough with a purple Full Stock Toyota Soarer (prize car from Megaspeed Cup):

Decided to move on to the versus championships, starting with USA vs Japan. Perfect Opportunity to give the Toyota Chaser a drive after all these years!

Chaser LM is nice, and fast. I usually rise up downforces, and the ride height by 10mm when I use it, also reduce a bit springs and dampers. This way it seems to me that it's a bit more stable & less bouncy :)

The "ancient" Chaser: the Tourer, in the "S version" (262hp) against UK and Japanese 400hp or more racing cars:

Yeah, as it is it is very unpredictable as I found out again in the next video I'm editing.
Some tweaks to the setup are definitely needed!

Oh I don't remember the one in your video there, may need to buy that & give it a drive!

After winning the USA vs Japan championship it was time to do the UK vs Japan event, still using the mighty Chaser!

Last edited:
Nice race :)
How much HP did you put in that Trueno?

It's a long we have no news from Parnelli Bones, hope this run with some close racing & and a good ol' Camaro Z28 will please him as much as it pleased me :)

Last edited:
With the UK vs Japan even won using the Chaser, it was time for a new challenge.
The Dodge Viper was the weapon of choice for the UK vs USA Championship!

That was nice, I like when two others RT/10 are in the opponents list :)
I always found that SSR11 was very difficult with Vipers, Corvettes, TVRs or even Aston Martin cars.
Another fun challenge with the GTS-R is the GT World Cup, in the PAL version: the car is powerful but also very heavy, which makes this series not so easy with it :)

Two shades of grey: Pulsar GTi-R vs Supra by TRD

Excellent race & driving!!:cheers:

How did you manage to get those opponents (from Tuned Car Cup, right?) on Autumn Ring Mini?
Could you program a "custom" Normal Car Cup with other than usual opponents, like Corvette, DB 7, Griffith or things like that?
Would just be great...:cool:

I found a cheat-code to replace any track i want when doing a specific race. For this one, i replaced SSR11 reverse with the Autumn Ring Mini while not touching anything else. However there are some issues:

1. All tracks except Clubman Stage 5, Special Stage R5, SSR11 and Grand Valley Speedway have their pits closed which makes long endurance races pointless and limits my creativity for more challenges heavily. I have asked some people for help, but it seems, that they are no longer active on GTPlanet which is kind of sad.

2. Even using the code for laps won't make anything better. All races (except endurance races) do not have tire wear on. Also the opponents barely spread accross the track and keep a constant distance even if you would do 99 laps.

3. I have heard that changing opponent cars is a heavy burden and very complicated to do and in most cases not even worth it the time.

4. I'm not familiar in coding at all, and have ZERO knowledge about it. So I definitely won't be able to help at all.

Last edited:
Back