Gran Turismo 6 Save Data Exposed... Open To Hackers / Modders?

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 470 comments
Guys, I have two things to say on this topic. The first thing is a info, which most of you may care about. The second is my opinion, which most of you may not care about at all, but some of you may love argue with/against it :lol:.

Information first. I dont know if you guys already know, but the original source of the exposed saved data, that it is actually the decrypted saved data (that it is a bit different than exposed) is NGU (I dont know if quoting the non abreviation or the link is permited so I will keep saying NGU). And at NGU, a guy which has an account called something like "Red Guy", was the one who posted it. Reading the topic aside the first post, there are four things that are important:

- He got how to decrypt save game data, but he doesnt know, at least not yet, how to crypt it back in a way that the game accepts the save data, so we can say that he is only half-way done (but he says that the other half-way should be faster).

- The guy is confused, but at least from the last time I read the topic, he said that he was planning (he wasnt sure about) to release his tool after the LAST VGT went out on an update, in order to avoid being responsible for the eventual appearence of 2000 HP Civics, 93480193 HP X1´s and these sort of things. In the topic there is a discussing about this matter.

- There is something like a month the decrypted news was posted and the guy didnt post anything about any new progress and all he said that the tool he developed would bring the ability of creating hybrids in a way alike GT5, but he said absolutely nothing about the secret menu. Months earlier, there was a topic about this and the answer of some members of NGU was: "Some decrypted codes indicates that it is on GT6, carried from GT5, but nobody knows how to unlock it".

- He is not in a hurry of releasing it. His posts indicates, but he doesnt assume, that he is doing the work in a slow pace.

Now my opinion part. To be more straight, my opinion about the opponent selector at the secret menu: I think it should be allowed, and that it would save GT6 offline mode (any offline race at GT6 is boring, some of them upsets me, really! It just works for cruising).

PD want offliners to go online, as I explained somewhere months ago (resuming it: On a GTP news there is a quote saying that PD considered turning GT into a service, so you pay it monthly. By their movements of downgrading the arcade mode of GT6, we can say that they are trying to convert "offliners" to "onliners"). With that on mind, and their downgrading on several areas, I can say that they dont have ZERO interest on it, actually their interest on it is negative. They dont want it to happen.

I really like GT series, I think GT5 was a good game and did a good job on GT Series. But GT6 is a bit different. In both GT5 and GT6, out of GTP, I organized some online races, in the form of spots ones, endurances and championships, actually dozens of them. I tried to keep on my country because the connection problems gets worse than it is when we race internationally. And in the last semester of last year I went completely offline, this year Im on both sides and all I can say are these things:

- Finding 15, even 10, people that matches your way of racing, in the exactly way that arcade mode can meet, is difficult, nearly impossible (impossible for some cases). It requires at least hard effort and several failures to find such people.

- Even if you find them, arcade mode races ends with exactly the same number of pilots that it has started, always. Even if these people doesnt have any intention of getting out of the race because they are not on the position they expected to be, even if they are really sporty, the server would fail and sometimes their connection would fail.

- Even if you find them, find a way of everyone, absolute everyone, become really sporty and find a way of making a miracle of making the race starts with X people and get done with not less than X people, you would take more time setting up the race, and you would have to wait everyone show up. And if you are the organizer, a lot more would be required to setup the race, since you have to start a topic explaining things, you would have to post results, see and judge accidents (I had some accidents on GT5 arcade mode which were very difficult to judge). Also, you have to optimize the time that most of people can show up, and you have to set things days, weeks in championship cases, before you go racing. You cant just say "Hey I wanna race today" and 5 minutes later go racing with everybody in.

I dont think that in GTP these things would be different.

For these reasons, i think offline got some advantages. Online got the advantage of, lets say, alive opponents, but in a good offline mode you can race your way when you want, how many times you want. And the other problem, that is a hard one, of online race is the, lets say, human "drama". Its people that complain to take advantage to themselves, its people appearing and disappearing, etc.

To be honest my real wish is that he just released a secret menu unlocker and no more than that (I dont think thats going to happen). Some people can be right, as well as they can be wrong, when they say that hybrids destroys other people experience. But there is no way the Opponent selector, and maybe all the feature of the secret menu, harm or affect anybody else then its own user. Even if someone appears with the intention of destroying others people experience with the secret menu, it cant be done. Just imagine how stupid would be someone who tried to do it. "Hey, lets pick up some opponents selection and then go to the online room make some guys depressed" would be laughable. But "Hey, lets pick up our 2000 HP Civic and then go to the online room make some guys upset" would be bad.

Last edited:
THANK YOU @Vendrah for bringing your knowledge and insight/thoughts into this critical discussion!

Every single word of your post reflects both how I feel, and what I ultimately fear. If Polyphony Digital really does plan to take Gran Turismo in the Online-only direction, I'm out. I believe that most players are with me in this regard, and it would seal the fate of this once-great franchise. Are they not aware (man it seems like I ask that a lot :() of the loud reaction to the infamous Xbone announcement of going exclusively online at that game show last year??

I'm not one to haphazardly throw up the superman signal, but @Jordan , can we have your thoughts on this specific topic as described by Vendrah, and is there some way that such concerns could be brought to the attention of Mr. Yamauchi?

We do not want to see it go down like this. You guys know that we want GT to thrive like its 1999..

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Your internet connection is CLEARLY not good as you state. Or you play with people that ha ve such bad connectionsttop.

I play EXCLUSIVELY online ad basically neve had serious issues.
:lol:

Stimulate motorsports that is fantastic.

For starters, online is just plain awful. I have decent internets and I have NEVER seen an online GT race where the opponents moved/acted in a smooth, normal, lifelike manner. The cars move like waterbug ghosts, snapping in and out of existence like quantum particles. How you guys enjoy that mess is beyond my humble comprehension.

Even when I search YT for 'great' online race replays of GT 5 and 6, all I see are silly waterbugs jerking around the track. That is just SO far removed from the steady precision that is needed to experience something like a realistic auto race.

Also, jimi-san, please explain to me how one can choose a specific field of opponent cars to create the what-if scenarios that we all dream about and even kaz has mentioned? This can happen online, really? Will you be one of my 15 friends who will always be available in my very limited free time to hop on and pilot one of the custom wagons in my Shooting Brake Championship? Johnnypenso, don't even laugh because I will put you in that Volvo 240 GLT Estate Wagon for a hot round at Ascari monday night at 2am eastern! Lol!

Some of you are hilarious to watch as you swing at the branches of this problem known as gt6. Slightly better A.I. and a proper Event Creator and we can pull this thing out by the root! And since kaz has ZERO, I repeat ZERO interest in that, a hacked-save offline Opponent Selector is our only tangible hope.

Online.. Please.

You should check my serie if you ha ve the time. People from all europe and state racing cleanly and stably with no connection issues. In whole season 2 we had 2 disconnects and an average of 10 people on track.

Good friends are what makes online good. Find some!

Guys, I have two things to say on this topic. The first thing is a info, which most of you may care about. The second is my opinion, which most of you may not care about at all, but some of you may love argue with/against it :lol:.

Information first. I dont know if you guys already know, but the original source of the exposed saved data, that it is actually the decrypted saved data (that it is a bit different than exposed) is NGU (I dont know if quoting the non abreviation or the link is permited so I will keep saying NGU). And at NGU, a guy which has an account called something like "Red Guy", was the one who posted it. Reading the topic aside the first post, there are four things that are important:

- He got how to decrypt save game data, but he doesnt know, at least not yet, how to crypt it back in a way that the game accepts the save data, so we can say that he is only half-way done (but he says that the other half-way should be faster).

- The guy is confused, but at least from the last time I read the topic, he said that he was planning (he wasnt sure about) to release his tool after the LAST VGT went out on an update, in order to avoid being responsible for the eventual appearence of 2000 HP Civics, 93480193 HP X1´s and these sort of things. In the topic there is a discussing about this matter.

- There is something like a month the decrypted news was posted and the guy didnt post anything about any new progress and all he said that the tool he developed would bring the ability of creating hybrids in a way alike GT5, but he said absolutely nothing about the secret menu. Months earlier, there was a topic about this and the answer of some members of NGU was: "Some decrypted codes indicates that it is on GT6, carried from GT5, but nobody knows how to unlock it".

- He is not in a hurry of releasing it. His posts indicates, but he doesnt assume, that he is doing the work in a slow pace.

Now my opinion part. To be more straight, my opinion about the opponent selector at the secret menu: I think it should be allowed, and that it would save GT6 offline mode (any offline race at GT6 is boring, some of them upsets me, really! It just works for cruising).

PD want offliners to go online, as I explained somewhere months ago (resuming it: On a GTP news there is a quote saying that PD considered turning GT into a service, so you pay it monthly. By their movements of downgrading the arcade mode of GT6, we can say that they are trying to convert "offliners" to "onliners"). With that on mind, and their downgrading on several areas, I can say that they dont have ZERO interest on it, actually their interest on it is negative. They dont want it to happen.

I really like GT series, I think GT5 was a good game and did a good job on GT Series. But GT6 is a bit different. In both GT5 and GT6, out of GTP, I organized some online races, in the form of spots ones, endurances and championships, actually dozens of them. I tried to keep on my country because the connection problems gets worse than it is when we race internationally. And in the last semester of last year I went completely offline, this year Im on both sides and all I can say are these things:

- Finding 15, even 10, people that matches your way of racing, in the exactly way that arcade mode can meet, is difficult, nearly impossible (impossible for some cases). It requires at least hard effort and several failures to find such people.

- Even if you find them, arcade mode races ends with exactly the same number of pilots that it has started, always. Even if these people doesnt have any intention of getting out of the race because they are not on the position they expected to be, even if they are really sporty, the server would fail and sometimes their connection would fail.

- Even if you find them, find a way of everyone, absolute everyone, become really sporty and find a way of making a miracle of making the race starts with X people and get done with not less than X people, you would take more time setting up the race, and you would have to wait everyone show up. And if you are the organizer, a lot more would be required to setup the race, since you have to start a topic explaining things, you would have to post results, see and judge accidents (I had some accidents on GT5 arcade mode which were very difficult to judge). Also, you have to optimize the time that most of people can show up, and you have to set things days, weeks in championship cases, before you go racing. You cant just say "Hey I wanna race today" and 5 minutes later go racing with everybody in.

I dont think that in GTP these things would be different.

For these reasons, i think offline got some advantages. Online got the advantage of, lets say, alive opponents, but in a good offline mode you can race your way when you want, how many times you want. And the other problem, that is a hard one, of online race is the, lets say, human "drama". Its people that complain to take advantage to themselves, its people appearing and disappearing, etc.

To be honest my real wish is that he just released a secret menu unlocker and no more than that (I dont think thats going to happen). Some people can be right, as well as they can be wrong, when they say that hybrids destroys other people experience. But there is no way the Opponent selector, and maybe all the feature of the secret menu, harm or affect anybody else then its own user. Even if someone appears with the intention of destroying others people experience with the secret menu, it cant be done. Just imagine how stupid would be someone who tried to do it. "Hey, lets pick up some opponents selection and then go to the online room make some guys depressed" would be laughable. But "Hey, lets pick up our 2000 HP Civic and then go to the online room make some guys upset" would be bad.

Moderator: Please don't double post, use the multi-quote feature ( [+Quote] button) - merged

Last edited by a moderator:
@azidahaka

Mainly, this:

"- Even if you find them, find a way of everyone, absolute everyone, become really sporty and find a way of making a miracle of making the race starts with X people and get done with not less than X people, you would take more time setting up the race, and you would have to wait everyone show up. And if you are the organizer, a lot more would be required to setup the race, since you have to start a topic explaining things, you would have to post results, see and judge accidents (I had some accidents on GT5 arcade mode which were very difficult to judge). Also, you have to optimize the time that most of people can show up, and you have to set things days, weeks in championship cases, before you go racing. You cant just say "Hey I wanna race today" and 5 minutes later go racing with everybody in."

I dont think I have much to say, really. Maybe one day I could try something at GTP, but it would be just trying again with a different environment.

And anything about research connection doesn´t change anything at all. If only the connection were the only problem...

If Polyphony Digital really does plan to take Gran Turismo in the Online-only direction, I'm out. I believe that most players are with me in this regard, and it would seal the fate of this once-great franchise. Are they not aware (man it seems like I ask that a lot :() of the loud reaction to the infamous Xbone announcement of going exclusively online at that game show last year??
If Gran Turismo became an online-only game I would never purchase another copy. I've only been playing Gran Turismo since I bought a copy of GT6 in mid December 2013. In 9+ months of very faithful playing, I have probably spent a total of maybe 5% of my time in the online rooms section. And of that 5% of my total time in an online room, I've probably dedicated 90% of that time to driving in a Public Free Run/Cruise room where I'm just doing solo laps on Nordschleife testing out some tunes I applied or personal modifications I'm trying out.

Yes, one of these days I am going to join a league and participate in regularly scheduled online racing matches with GTP members and that will increase my overall percentage of GT6 use in the online realm. Still, for the most part what I enjoy is just driving my cars and trying to set better and better hot lap times that I keep track of. For social interaction I participate in the weekly Seasonal Event threads and socialize with other GTP members, almost all who can kick my butt in Super Lap time challenges. I'm sure I haven't spent more time racing humans online because my first 5-10 experiences were just awful. By sheer luck I would just happen to pick rotten public rooms, filled with children (or adults who behave like children) who find it humorous to just crash into you and ram you off the track repeatedly, over and over again.

Most people would probably love an editor for offline racing. From what I understand, GT5 had some secret menu that allowed players the opportunity to select exactly which cars to race against (in addition to other personalized options) and that sounds exactly what we need in GT6 right now to add some fresh life into offline mode. If "hackers" can bring that to us, I'd be all for it as long as it doesn't come with tools to ruin the integrity of actual human activities, like Seasonal Event Super Lap challenges, online racing with hacked cars that have 1000hp and super grip but somehow meet the room requirements of 400PP and CS tires.

We're already seeing the use of hybrids infiltrating our Seasonal Events and while PD is doing what they can to delete those fraudulent posted times, I imagine the true problem hasn't even begun to show it's ugly head. I'm waiting for the day when I logon and see not only the Top time being fraudulent, but the Top 500 times being fraudulent. Once these "tools" get into the average person's hands on a widespread basis it is only a matter of time before they're used for fraudulent purposes. It took about 5 minutes to locate and acquire what is needed to hybrid in GT6 (although I don't have CFW, so I can not actually use such things).

The major issue with modding is being able to use mods for online play. I can recall back in the good ol days of gaming (SNES and Genesis) when game genie was big because it allowed us to have infinite lives, health etc and that was so cool because you weren't online or playing against anyone who was unaware but in todays gaming with connected consoles, modding is a very big deal because there's no sure-fire way to separate offline from online.

I have no issue with someone using mods for cash etc but it makes it unfair when you use mods online or to beat the game in ways that the designers didn't intend.

When GT4 first came out on the PS2, I used a game shark to get all gold licenses, freeze time, make hydrid cars that had insane HP, unlock all upgrades, and all vehicles and that was cool because I didn't have time to actually play the game to unlock everything but being that that the game was "offline" the mods weren't doing harm to anyone.

Good old Game Shark, hit the boost & send the other cars careening off the corners. It seemed to boost all the cars, always good for a laugh. Maxed out credits & all cars 1 credit, never drive a car more than once. I think you could set no wear for your tires & unlimited fuel too. Didn't cause a problem as it didn't affect anyone but you.
Now you kids get off of my lawn...

When I even use the save editor I just use it for money or getting secret stuff unlocked (doubt if Gt6 has any) but I'm not that guy who wants to ruin the experience for others and if I do mod I just play with my friends in a private lobby.

Again, PP is calculated from grip and power/torque/weight/torque curve. You can't mod away a ridiculously high PP. You can also set tire limitations to prevent people from using super grippy tires.

because there's no sure-fire way to separate offline from online.
This is simply not true. Many games do this, on several platforms. All it requires is a separation of the offline and the online part of your profile. Offline part is stored locally on your machine and the online part is kept on SEN.

Good old Game Shark, hit the boost & send the other cars careening off the corners. It seemed to boost all the cars, always good for a laugh. Maxed out credits & all cars 1 credit, never drive a car more than once. I think you could set no wear for your tires & unlimited fuel too. Didn't cause a problem as it didn't affect anyone but you.
Now you kids get off of my lawn...

LOL! I miss those days!

This is simply not true. Many games do this, on several platforms. All it requires is a separation of the offline and the online part of your profile. Offline part is stored locally on your machine and the online part is kept on SEN.

Yeah I'm aware but you know someone somewhere will find a way to get around it was my point. I'm playing Madden MUT mode and their are guys on there with insane amounts of points, coins etc and I know they've cheated to get that stuff.

Illegal means violating a law or statute. Terms of service is a contract between you and another party as in, I provide this service and you agree to do this and not this. Contracts can and are routinely broken without breaking any laws or statutes.

but hacking is violating the Terms of service. so could argue and say it is but i understand what you mean.

Back