Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
In BF4 we missed out night maps thanks to Ps3 and xbox 360 because of a contract to keep the generations equal.

Now regarding content the same could happen.
Meanwhile, Forza Horizon 2 on XB360 was fundamentally a different game from the XBone version, on a stripped and buggy version of the map, with many of the same cars but not all of them. I dunno.

I don't find it implausible for a GT7 on PS5 to offer things a GT7 on PS4 wouldn't offer. We have the technology. It's Sony's/PD's choice.

They already let people play with wheels and pedals, this is no different.

They won't be juggling 2 games, the core game will be the same with a split late in development to implement PS5 features (Trophies, Activities, Haptic Feedback etc.) before generating the PS5 package, it only requires a small team. Heck I've set up some of those on my own before.

Then it will be a PS4 game and not a PS5 game.

And the comparison with wheels is not really valid. The controller is the default way to play the game not the wheel. With proper haptic support and implementation the experienced PS5 player should have an advantage. That won't fly with 110 million potential customers.

"Can run" vs. "can run at a stable 60fps" are different things. Kaz already said they got rid of dynamic time for GTSport because they wanted to prioritize a stable 60fps on PS4. Pcars runs like butt on PS4 and I highly doubt these framerates are something Polyphony wants in a competitive esports focus online mode. Now maybe if they lowered the graphical quality of track assets to PS3 era for GT7 on PS4 to reach a stable 60fps, but then that would mean those PS3 quality track assets will also be used for the PS5 version but in higher-res. They're not going to make 2 completely different assets optimized for each PS4 and PS5. Last-gen consoles will always hold back the next-gen no matter how you look at it.

Why not? Cars are already modelled in several levels of detail depending on their distance from you, tracks as well have details that only pop-in when needed, although that is not usually noticeable these days. Have you played a PC Game on the lowest settings recently either? They look pretty awful compared to the highest settings usually.

As for dynamic time/weather then absolutely compromises would have to be made but not that extreme. PD are a first party dev with more knowledge of the system than SMS, and they also have a higher budget.

Why is it stupid? If Sony can make more money on the sale of GT 7 then I don't see why its stupid. Also a whole lot more people own a PS4 and its not easy to buy a PS5 so I thing its a good move

Seriously I don't understand why so many people think its a bad idea for it to come to PS4 too. Millions more people own a PS4 than people who own a PS5. It makes good sense business wise

Yeah but that's now. GT7 is probably not releasing for another 18 months, when things will have swung further towards PS5.

Last edited:
Seeing what they have shown on PS5 of other intergenerational titles such as "Horizon Forbidden West" I do not think that is a reason not to achieve an excellent visual finish.
In addition, this comes to facilitate a complete version of GT7 for PSVR2 that would be a very important "generational" leap.

Yeah but that's now. GT7 is probably not releasing for another 18 months, when things will have swung further towards PS5.
Yeah but in 18 months the PS4 ownership will still be miliions more than the PS5 and the PS5 shortages are supposed to last well into 2022 too.

Bringing GT7 to smartphones and tablets would be a good business decision too, doesn't mean it's best for the series.

Especially when the past 2 games either released exclusively on a previous gen console (GT6) or was a spinoff game made to kickstart GT's eSport scene. The fans deserve a true next gen game this time around, no more compromises.
I should have seen this kind of response coming :lol: The Fans deserve a proper PS4 GT game too. I waited until two months ago to buy a PS4 for GT Sport because I have no interest with online racing and because theres a somewhat half decent single player campaign in GT Sport now.

Yeah but in 18 months the PS4 ownership will still be miliions more than the PS5 and the PS5 shortages are supposed to last well into 2022 too.

Sure, but that's going to be true for several years with the huge install base even if there was no shortage, at what point do you stop?

There are 7 million PS5’s out there now. A console has quite literally never sold more consoles this quickly. They’re predicting to sell 18m by the end of 2021. That figure might be double (or more) by the time GT7 launches.

Why do console manufacturers make any games during the first 2-3 years if that’s the excuse? GT7 will be an evergreen title that sells for as long as it’s out. This shouldn’t be the reason they need to stick it on PS4.

It was the same with ps4 just a bit longer due to covid. Saw yesterday f121 and wrc10 clearly cross gen.

Can't wait for the "standard" cars nightmare from old titles to come back. Eheh

Last edited:
To date the PS5 is outselling the PS4 for the respective periods post launch.

Also, the best selling Gran Turismo game to date is Gran Turismo 3, this game released on PS2 in April 2002, the PS2 released in march 2000, so why didn't they make Gran Turismo 3 a PS1 game instead? Why was Gran Turismo 3 such a high selling game if it came just a year after the console launched?

Now compare that Gran Turismo 7 isn't releasing this year, it will be well over a year, possibly 2 years since the PS5's launch. So why is there a big problem here with the volume of consoles on the market? And why should this mean that sales of Gran Turismo 7 will suffer? The evidence is there that if it's a good game, they won't.

Last edited:
Why not? Cars are already modelled in several levels of detail depending on their distance from you, tracks as well have details that only pop-in when needed, although that is not usually noticeable these days. Have you played a PC Game on the lowest settings recently either? They look pretty awful compared to the highest settings usually.

As for dynamic time/weather then absolutely compromises would have to be made but not that extreme. PD are a first party dev with more knowledge of the system than SMS, and they also have a higher budget.

Creating multiple LODs, art assets, and optimizing them to give the best visual representation is one of the most time consuming parts of game development that requires a bunch of trial and error. PD doesn't make "future-proof" models of the tracks/environments with tessellation like they do with cars either. Let's even revisit a quote from Kaz regarding their game development practices.

Kaz: "Because of their natural complexity, the most difficult things to model in the environment are trees. Kazunori said it is a special field and requires a lot of creativity from the 3D artists; they have to make the trees as realistic and believable as possible without creating too much load on the console’s limited resources."

"The Jaguar Vision GT 3D model, as received from Jaguar’s designers, contains over 7 million polygons. The challenge for Polyphony’s 3D artists, then, is to figure out how to reduce the number of polygons while retaining as much detail as possible. Kazunori explains this is a very difficult process which cannot be automated. Only humans can identify the exact shapes which are most important to the car’s appearance.

To give you an idea of the immense amount of work this requires, the Jaguar Vision GT was reduced from 7 million to 70,000 polygons for the game. From there, even more models with less detail need to be produced by hand."

It took Polyphony 4 years to release GTSport after GT6, a GTSport that was very, very barebones. Then it took Polyphony another 2 years after GTSport to add static rain graphics to a SINGLE track with the same simple wet physics, then even more months of waiting until they released rain graphics for a whopping TWO more tracks until they just called it quits... And now we should believe PD is somehow capable of creating two different art assets that take advantage of each console with a big generational gap in performance?

Making art assets for PS5-tier graphics isn't just about "popping" them in more on PS4. If you haven't noticed, GTSport already has a bunch of noticeable LOD pop-in for vegetation, especially noticeable on Monza, La Sarthe, Saint-Croix, and this is for art assets PD designed for PS4. PC game assets are actually made with the lowest common denominator in mind first, which is consoles, then they scale resolution and draw-distance up or down based on that asset. The quality of each environment model prop are actually extremely similar, if not outright the same, whether you play on an RTX 3080 or on a PS4, because these games were made with PS4 / XBO generation in mind first.

There is rarely a modern game that was made only for PC first without any plans of getting them to also work on last-gen consoles. And the last game that tried to make a PC-first oriented approach is Cyberpunk 2077, and now the console ports repeatedly crash to a black screen while also having numerous visual bugs to the point where Sony banned Cyberpunk from being sold on PSN. At least the PC version was praised I guess.

This is what will happen. PD will create models and art assets that work on the weakest console, then they just up-res it for the PS5 port. It will look like GTSport with ray-traced reflections barring some improved draw distance. Environmental quality of actual art assets remain the same on both platforms.

Last edited:
Then it will be a PS4 game and not a PS5 game.

No it won't. If you try to install the PS5 version on your PS4 it won't work. That makes it a PS5 game, just not a PS5 exclusive.

And the comparison with wheels is not really valid. The controller is the default way to play the game not the wheel. With proper haptic support and implementation the experienced PS5 player should have an advantage. That won't fly with 110 million potential customers.

I'd be willing to bet that less than 0.1% of those potential customers actually care about the minor differences between PS4 and PS5 controllers for competitive play. GT7 would have to go a hell of a long way to reach 110 million people anyway so I'm not sure why that's relevant.

Last edited:
To date the PS5 is outselling the PS4 for the respective periods post launch.

Also, the best selling Gran Turismo game to date is Gran Turismo 3, this game released on PS2 in April 2002, the PS2 released in march 2000, so why didn't they make Gran Turismo 3 a PS1 game instead? Why was Gran Turismo 3 such a high selling game if it came just a year after the console launched?

Now compare that Gran Turismo 7 isn't releasing this year, it will be well over a year, possibly 2 years since the PS5's launch. So why is there a big problem here with the volume of consoles on the market? And why should this mean that sales of Gran Turismo 7 will suffer? The evidence is there that if it's a good game, they won't.
To date Playstation 4 had many multiple millions more sold and it will remain so with years. It makes sense to cater for the bigger crowd along with the smaller crowd. Why did it take PD so many years to develop GT5 after the PS3 launched and why didn't they wait a few years more to develop GT 6 for the PS4? I never said that the sales of GT7 will suffer. You are putting words where I never typed them. I said they will sell far more copies of the game if they release it on PS4 too making more profit. Yes the evidence is there that it may be a good game. Again I never said it won't be good. They might.

Maybe all this hullabaloo will actually cause PD to talk about the game and clear it all up. Remember to date they have barely even acknowledged it exists. Still on the website all you will find is this, and that's hidden in old news posts.

On Thursday, 11 June a trailer for the announcement of 'Gran Turismo 7' was revealed during the 'PS5: The Future of Gaming' broadcast on the official PlayStation YouTube channel.

Maybe all this hullabaloo will actually cause PD to talk about the game and clear it all up. Remember to date they have barely even acknowledged it exists. Still on the website all you will find is this, and that's hidden in old news posts.
One of their PS5 videos also had GT7 in 2021. Then they reuploaded the video with that removed and they shortly afterwards announced GT7 will not be released this year.

One of their PS5 videos also had GT7 in 2021. Then they reuploaded the video with that removed and they shortly afterwards announced GT7 will not be released this year.

That was all Sony though, I meant PD themselves have not said or written anything about it other than that post on their site and a passing comment in a Kaz interview, IIRC.

There have been no GT7 posts attributed to Kaz on the blog, either.

https://blog.playstation.com/author/kyamauchi/

No it won't. If you try to install the PS5 version on your PS4 it won't work. That makes it a PS5 game, just not a PS5 exclusive.

I'd be willing to bet that less than 0.1% of those potential customers actually care about the minor differences between PS4 and PS5 controllers for competitive play. GT7 would have to go a hell of a long way to reach 110 million people anyway so I'm not sure why that's relevant.

There is a huge difference between a core PS5 and PS4 game. GT7 is a core PS4 game with PS5 support. That sucks.

And haptic feedback is a game changer not a minor difference.

If this turns out to be true then thats very good news for my wallet and i could buy games i want when thair price drop. However the main resson to get a PS5 has gone straight out the window and makes GT7 seem very underwhelming considering how it could be held back technically do to the FIA championships as others have pointed out. That in turn makes GT Sport an even bigger oddity as it was supposedly created for E-sports and the rest would return next gen but if they return on PS4 then why waren't these things added somewhere between the last 3.5 years and/or why was content held from us?. Sure content was held for almost if not all previous games for all kinds of ressons but there's no good resson this time. For example the Lambo VGT, we got a release window for it but it never showed up presumably "saved up" for the next big game but we are going to get the new Toyota 86 even before it goes on sale because Japan etc.

This of us that started with GT1, we've played without variable weather and ToD for the longest.
It's always been about the cars. As mentioned umpteen times, give us cool cars, competitive AI and cool circuits. Players will do the rest.
The thing is times have moved on GT1 was revoloutionary in 1997 but im oh so glad for all the technical advancements which allow me to drive me car with out it shooting left or right every time i brake , go on 2 wheels everytime i want to take a corner at desent speed etc.

wasn't it always the case with it? Just to be GT Sport, but with classic singleplayer and some technical advancements?
Not really for all we knew (or know still) GT7 could've been/be an entirely different beast.

are you guys not excited with the come back of a proper, good Gran Turismo Mode?.
Im not personally, why? Because if you think about it GT mode is just preset events (with 🤬 rules in many cases) we have to complete . Taking this into account all they had to do was give more options for the custom race mode which they do have available evidenced by the GT League events already available and the community could have created all kinds of events but no.

You're all the reason racing games have crap single player modes, crappy AI, and focus more on online content. YOU'RE
Speak for yourself please thank you. Regardless i can think plenty of games which have good single player, AI etc those are GT problems not gerne problems. Also online gaming took of almost 20 years ago for many different ressons.

YOU'RE the ones who keep pushing graphics updates when the GT Sport photo mode already looks closer to real life than any other GT game.
Well excuse "us" for wanting things to evolve. Think of it this way , would like if GT3 on PS2 looked and felt like GT2000 because it was released on PS1 as well when it could look and feel like the actual final GT3?. This only acceptable for sports games like FIFA NBA etc.

Can't you have faith for once that Polyphony will deliver for once?
Well GT6 didn't deliver GT Sport didn't deliver for many many people including me (although mostly for different ressons) so you know what they say "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on both of us."

"It's a spinoff game for eSports with very little features in-favor of competitive play. Kinda like a prologue, but we promise our next game will have tons of content!"
I agreed with most of what you said but you pulled this out of the hat as its inccorect on many levels.

That's all we need. A supposed next gen title hamstrung by previous gen limitations. Cool. GT6 ring any bells for anyone at Sony?
To be fair GT7 will vastly different Sport than how 6 was to 5 regardless.

In other words, I'm pretty sure GT7 for PS5 was going to be the same game if that PS4 version didn't exist.

But now we learned that this PS4 version does exist, so what will change for the PS5 GT7? Absolutely nothing!
The hole problem is we don't know that for sure.

To date Playstation 4 had many multiple millions more sold and it will remain so with years. It makes sense to cater for the bigger crowd along with the smaller crowd. Why did it take PD so many years to develop GT5 after the PS3 launched and why didn't they wait a few years more to develop GT 6 for the PS4? I never said that the sales of GT7 will suffer. You are putting words where I never typed them. I said they will sell far more copies of the game if they release it on PS4 too making more profit. Yes the evidence is there that it may be a good game. Again I never said it won't be good. They might.
So explain to me then, why GT6 is one of the worst selling GT games, which released on PS3 just one month after the PS4 launched and why GT3 is the best selling GT game which released on PS2 a year after the PS2 launched.

I'm not putting words into your mouth, I'm asking questions which you are not answering.

Releasing a game on a previous gen console becuase there are x number more of those in circulation is not a guarentee you will sell more.

Last edited:
Releasing a game on a previous gen console becuase there are x number more of those in circulation is not a guarentee you will sell more.

Don't even need to look all that far back for categorical proof. Miles Morales sold better on PS5 than PS4.

Last edited:
Why is it stupid? If Sony can make more money on the sale of GT 7 then I don't see why its stupid. Also a whole lot more people own a PS4 and its not easy to buy a PS5 so I thing its a good move

Seriously I don't understand why so many people think its a bad idea for it to come to PS4 too. Millions more people own a PS4 than people who own a PS5. It makes good sense business wise

I put an SSD in my PS4 slim and it makes a very big difference not only in loading times but in the whole user interface. Apps load faster , theres no stuttering or lag when loading everything and games load faster. The SSD makes a very big difference in loading times with GT Sport too.
because ps4 has medieval cpu and it will be crossplay probably so no option for separate version and thats mean we can forget about any physics improvement, multiclass races and now I also doubt in dynamic weather, it will be just gt sport with more content. Btw there are problaby some ps3 players still, why also not release it on ps3 ?

Last edited:
So explain to me then, why GT6 is one of the worst selling GT games, which released on PS3 just one month after the PS4 launched and why GT3 is the best selling GT game which released on PS2 a year after the PS2 launched.

I'm not putting words into your mouth, I'm asking questions which you are not answering.

How exactly am I supposed to explain to you something I don't know. I answered your question but obviously you didn't like my answer so it was a non answer to you. Putting GT7 on PS4 as well as PS5 will Guarantee you will sell more than if it was on PS5 only. Its just common sense to know this.

To date, there's more PS2s sold than the PS4 and PS5 combined. That's millions of sales Sony's missing out on by not making GT7 PS2 compatible.
That makes sense :lol: Any other straws you want to pull at? Maybe they should make it PS1 , Windows and PC compatible too?

It would be interesting to make a poll on this, maybe PD notices it

Added the poll. I suspect ultimately this was Hermen's decision and not Kaz or PD to make GT7 a cross-gen GT, but who knows. Kaz last year said he and Polyphony didn't want to make concessions on anything for the next GT. It's not a coincidence the game's initial advertisement revolved entirely around "PS5 exclusive" unlike Horizon Forbidden West.

Last edited:
This is a huge disappointment, every unique feature and advantage of the PS5 will be compromised since the game can't depend on them.

Haptic feedback, nerf'd
SSD, reduced to 2.5 inch slow notebook drive. And another huge install size.
PSVR support in races, gone.
Don't you think you're being a bit dramatic over this? All the PS5 features are still there.

• Stunning visuals: Marvel at rendering quality through ray tracing, with support for 4K, HDR, and a targeted 60 FPS frame rate.*
  • Fast loading: Go to race events quickly, gather in lobbies and receive friend invites extremely quickly with an ultra-high speed SSD. Select from a huge variety of cars with no load times.
  • Adaptive triggers: Feel the contrast in brake pedal weight at different sensitivity ranges, the vibrations from the ABS and variation in throttle pedal weight on different types of cars.
  • Haptic feedback: Experience the feeling of tire contact with the road, and subtle bumps on the road surface.
  • Tempest 3D AudioTech on compatible headphones: Sense the position of other cars and drivers around you through sound. Hear clear 3D Audio positioning and spatial expression of depth and height in replays.
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/gran-turismo-7/

Latest Posts

Back