Gran Turismo 7 Could be PlayStation 5 Launch Title, Says Official PS Magazine

To be fair, there has never been binary compatibility between generations of PS before.
I'm sure Kaz said that GT Sport is an evolution of the GT5 and GT6 game engine, but I beleive (though could well be wrong) it was extensively reworked.

ps3 is ken katuragi's cell powerpc cpu + nvidia's crappy gpu running on a massive 256mb.

ps4/5 are both mark cerny's babies both running AMD x86 cpu and gpus of the same family/lineage. I believe they are 8gb/16gb respectively.

GT6 was IMO a cash grab to use the GT5 engine before they had to start new with the GT Sport engine.

I think that they is some gt5/6 dna in GT Sport but its so tiny... you can see how so many core elements are in GT5/6 but not in GT Sport and vice versa.

Going by the GT7 video I came to the conclusion that GT7 is really just an uprezzed GT Sport with some new stuff like DLSS etc. but really, it didnt seem that big an advance but really, I'm fine with that slow evolution from GTS to GT7.

It is hard to believe that there are so many people here who think they are such experts that they refuse to believe official information and actually believe information provided by themselves a lot more than the information provided by Sony. There are also people here who wish for the game to be released years later (in 2022 for example which is beyond stupid). A large part of the gran turismo community has always been toxic so what did I expect?!

I find It strange people calling gt7 just an updates gt sport with a few cars and tracks, i am sure they have not revealed all cars or tracks that will be in the final game, we get highly requested features back,
Gt auto
Tuning shop
Used cars
Finally a proper career mode, those things alone will make It a big upgrade for me, tuning shop is easily the feature that i wanted most of all for gt sport

I would go as far as to say that the people calling GT7 an updated GTS haven't even seen the announcement trailer.

As for the main topic here, "could" is the word that sticks out to me. I personally don't mind if it comes out at launch or not, but I'd probably expect it before Fall 2021.

I find It strange people calling gt7 just an updates gt sport with a few cars and tracks, i am sure they have not revealed all cars or tracks that will be in the final game, we get highly requested features back,
Gt auto
Tuning shop
Used cars
Finally a proper career mode, those things alone will make It a big upgrade for me, tuning shop is easily the feature that i wanted most of all for gt sport
GTS' lineup is insufficient for used cars. If GT7 has GTS car list with few addition, used cars can be as wasted and underused as GT5's Racing Modification. Dunno how's the races going in the career mode, GT1 to GT6 has the pick up events from the list and repeat type, and GTS' GT League also follows that system too.

With 336 cars, GTS could easily have an extensive used car market. How PD would do a UCD, is the question.

1966 Ford GT40, 1983 AE86, 1994 Skyline R32 GT-R, 1963 Corvette, 1970 Dodge Super Bee. Place those in the UCD with different colours and mileage. Done.

Place the Group C cars in the UCD.

When GTS was first shown, the oldest car on the list was the 2009 Lotus Evora. UCD could probably be any car older than that. Plenty of cars in GTS old enough to fill that dealership.

GT6 was IMO a cash grab to use the GT5 engine before they had to start new with the GT Sport engine.

I think that they is some gt5/6 dna in GT Sport but its so tiny... you can see how so many core elements are in GT5/6 but not in GT Sport and vice versa.
Response from Kaz to a question back in 2013:

"Is this physics engine going to be shared with the Gran Turismo 7 that Yamauchi's team at Polyphony Digital are presumably working on now for the PlayStation 4? Yamauchi said that would be the case, going on to suggest that to him, at this point, hardware platforms don't matter quite as much as they used to."

Taken from this article here: https://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/4...-talks-physics-engines-smartphone-linkups-and

I thought I'd read it somewhere.

GT6 was many things (though not enough things at the same time) but it does suggest that the comment about it being cash grab to use the GT5 engine isn't true. Let's hope GT7 is more like GT3 or GT4 than GT6 interms of playability.

One thing I do really, really miss and hope makes a return are standard starting grids rather than the long spread out grids at the start. Perhaps they were spread out to avoid slow downs at the start of the races, well if that's the case, hopefully on PS5 that isn't the case anymore.

See guys.

The release date of GT5 back then I believed when the first games were shown in the store.

This is how much I thrust Polyphony.

So I hope for us all that GT7 is a release title for PS5 but I still have my doubts.

We will see :)

If this is true at launch, then it will be first time in history that I and nearly half a billion other people around the world, won't have a PS5 and GT7 to own at launch

Sony is supposedly making only 9 million PS5s for 1st batch 2020.

They'll also be scratching their heads as to why so few will log in at xmas,

this is because nearly all 8.75 million consoles will still be sealed and hoarded by ebay merchantiles.

This is the only announced game I will buy a PS5 for, meaning I'm not even excited for the console, but the game itself. Launch "window" would be nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

This. 1,000,000% this.

It is hard to believe that there are so many people here who think they are such experts that they refuse to believe official information and actually believe information provided by themselves a lot more than the information provided by Sony.

You did read the part where neither Sony or even the magazine said that the launch window is official, right?

One thing I do really, really miss and hope makes a return are standard starting grids rather than the long spread out grids at the start. Perhaps they were spread out to avoid slow downs at the start of the races, well if that's the case, hopefully on PS5 that isn't the case anymore.
The AI is just bad. The only sim I've played where the AI can race in tight packs at a normal pace is F1 2019. I don't have high expectations in that area, but gosh, I really hope it's better than GT Sport.

I've been playing a lot of GT4 lately and the AI isn't amazing, but it's at least more challenging than GT Sport. The only way to get a challenge in GT Sport is to significantly handicap yourself. I did a one-make MX-5 hour-long endurance race at Dragon Trail this morning (only using the hard compound) and lapped the entire field at least once.

I'm fine with standing starts or rolling starts, I just want a bit of a challenge with an actual career mode.

Those who actually want GT7 to be delayed (geezus...), remind me. What's exactly wrong with it being a launch title and then updating it monthly like they have done with Sport?

It's only an issue if there is enough content in the first place. Post-launch content shouldn't be used as crutch.

I love how many people think they know exactley what state GT7 is in in it's development so far and what the final product will be like if it releases this year, next year or the year after.

Most people are making a calculated guess based on past and present observations as well as the trailer itself.

Another important point is a that longer development does not always = better. GT5 is proof of that, a big game, but not a better one than GT4 in many ways. And GT6 which came a couple of years later was arguably a worse game than GT5 despite building on GT5.

GT5 was hampered by the difficulty in developing for the PS3 and the cancellation of GT HD. No other game before or since would suffer from the same development nightmare as that game.

How about we all stop pretending we know how complete the game is and wait for more news rather than shouting about how incomplete or complete the game is when the reality is that none of us have a clue.

Of course we don't have a clue. That's why we are making a prediction as to when the next game arrives. Are we not allowed to do that?

Those who actually want GT7 to be delayed (geezus...), remind me. What's exactly wrong with it being a launch title and then updating it monthly like they have done with Sport?
Because for many people it's not a great way to experience a game. If content is just dripfed over a period of time you get bored of the current content while you wait, and in terms of a career, it's very disjointed, do a few events..wait a month for more and so on.

Plus just generally a lot of people just want to play a game for a week, two weeks or however long then move onto another. Not keep periodically going back for little updates every month.

Given the choice of getting 50% of a game at year X then then other 50% over two years Vs getting 100% of the game at year X+2 I'll take the latter every time.

Absolutely no chance of GT7 being a launch title. Q4 2021 was my bet before Covid-19 arrived, but it could be a little longer now. I know fora fact PD where to scan some cars in Europe over the last couple of months but presumably couldn't. Apply that to real circuits which could be included and it makes sense.
To be fair scanning cars is a regular thing if gt7 is a launch date title then these you be cars for updates. Either way it is probably not a day one title.

Because for many people it's not a great way to experience a game. If content is just dripfed over a period of time you get bored of the current content while you wait, and in terms of a career, it's very disjointed, do a few events..wait a month for more and so on.

Plus just generally a lot of people just want to play a game for a week, two weeks or however long then move onto another. Not keep periodically going back for little updates every month.

Given the choice of getting 50% of a game at year X then then other 50% over two years Vs getting 100% of the game at year X+2 I'll take the latter every time.
So I'm guessing you're not a fan of GaaS in general? Say, FH4 with its monthly updates of content that's basically like GTS's updates in terms of single player events and new cars? For me, it's not exactly a problem getting to play every week/month or so as long as the gameplay and graphics have that longevity factor (they play/look good enough to last through these updates... except for GTS with its sub-4K res).

Then again, I'm not your average gamer with a life (and it's a huge mistake to assume that everyone's like me or you, btw). So I suppose this is a problem for those who do have a life outside gaming. Those who want to finish it all in a few days and then move on, like you said. Content updates be damned, whether the game does feel complete at launch or not.

Sadly (or however you see it), with the way the rest of the industry's moving (barring the cinematic single player games like those of Naughty Dog's), I believe GaaS is here to stay, and I'm not gonna be surprised if GT7 is one of them. And I don't mind it either.

It's only an issue if there is enough content in the first place. Post-launch content shouldn't be used as crutch.
I suppose you're partially right. The current car & track count of GTS plus the new/returning ones for 7 is enough for me, but if the campaign isn't anywhere as big as GT3's & 4's, then yeah, it's kind of a problem.

But if the plan is to constantly update the campaign over time like GTS (except with added prize cars this time), then again, I wouldn't mind it. *shrug*

So I'm guessing you're not a fan of GaaS in general? Say, FH4 with its monthly updates of content that's basically like GTS's updates in terms of single player events and new cars? For me, it's not exactly a problem getting to play every week/month or so as long as the gameplay and graphics have that longevity factor (they play/look good enough to last through these updates... except for GTS with its sub-4K res).
Obviousely I can't speak for @Samus, but I do think he makes a decent point. Personally, I don't mind updates after the game has released, provided the game at release is a solid package. You mention FH4, that was a full game before you start adding DLC, although I didn't rate FH4 as highly as FH3, they did a solid job in that respect.

I don't mind going back to a game every now and then, although my gaming sessions tend to be 30 mins to 1 hour long these days, but I don't mind going back to a game if it's good enough.

I suppose you're partially right. The current car & track count of GTS plus the new/returning ones for 7 is enough for me, but if the campaign isn't anywhere as big as GT3's & 4's, then yeah, it's kind of a problem.

But if the plan is to constantly update the campaign over time like GTS (except with added prize cars this time), then again, I wouldn't mind it. *shrug*
This is my thinking, hopefully we get a decent single player experience (and online for those that prefer it) at launch, and then if they want to expand it over time, great. If we don't and we get a parred down campaign that gets expanded over time, I am still highly likely to buy the game once I get a PS5, but I doubt I'll go back to it as much once I've stopped playing it and started on something else.

They won't be identical though will they, because the car and track combinations won't be the same in each of them. It stands to reason that just as has been the car with the FF cars event in previous GT's, that you will be able to enter newly included FF cars on a different combination of tracks as the previous game have all done.

I think we're saying the same thing though, if you re-read what I said here (which maybe got lost a little in the same way I've misinterpreted what you said): "it's fair to assume.... the career mode races will include the usual flavour of events with some new ones thrown in..." So I'm saying that the events will be familiar to anyone familiar with a numbered GT game, but I must stand my ground on that they won't be identical (though I understand what you meant now)..

Other than that... I actually also was hoping for more nuance inside the career, but still having the caRPG format to try and make use of all car variations and tuning (GT1 has them like in Megaspeed, which was ancient Like the Wind... where GT3 also has Viper GTS going 250+ mph there)... including Racing Modification if it can be returned. The "good" career format the other games have are all about motorsport, which has conflicting format of caRPG where you only made 1 choice of car type, and the game gives you few (even 1) predetermined car to proceed until the end of that class. I'd like to see how's a compelling and nuanced caRPG career format is like.

Sound first, GT Sports sound is actually very good, much better than previous titles. It's not ACC levels of good, but it's very good and far surpasses past GT's. I do agree with your coment on the AI, this is my biggest worry for GT7, will the single player races feel like races or just be a case of catch the rabbit and win. I hope they shake that up.

Still see many sound hate on places like YouTube. Also that's what my point before, there's a guarantee that the sound will improve because of hiring a guy known for good sound, but there's no guarantee that AI will improve because no such thing happened unlike in sound department.

I think we can probably expect over 100 new cars over GT Sports car list. That's my ball pary and it's based on GT6 having 126 new cars over GT5 and that came 3 years after GT5 IIRC. But if you look at the number of cars PD released each year for GT Sport we can see larger volumes of cars being made. Over 3 years 156 new cars were added to GT Sport.

So if we assume development of GT7 started at least a year ago, even if it launches this year we are likely to see in the region of 100 new cars added to the car list. Maybe more, we don't really know how long they've been making GT7 assets for. It's hardly a science, but that's my thinking. If we end up with 500-ish cars I will be happy with that.

Well that's for cars, how about the other features? Many people think give less focus on cars for other features, but latest numbered iterations both gives less car additions and other features too, like GT6 only has 7 new tracks. So I judge for other features based on how many cars PD can add, because PD is guaranteed to make more cars, and it's not like they neglect most of the other features, only not implemented or fixed yet due to not achieving much. So more cars = more implementation of other features (more complete game) to me here.

I agree, the more recent numbered iterations have been disspointing, but I'm trying to be more balanced. My concerns aren't with the volume of content, it's with the singe player gameplay (AI and replayability primarily). I really hope they improve it but we will have to wait any see.

I would think content is part of replayability too, but it's right that the core must be good too like AI that influences a good number of those contents.

I can see a GT7 at launch.

The architecture of the PS4 and PS5 are pretty much similar and widely used throughout the PC world (you've got Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC, heck Death Stranding is out I think). So it would kind of make sense that development for PD would be a bit easier (i.e. not working with some proprietary Cell architecture). There was footage of GTS at 8K and ray tracing some time ago, so updating GTS graphically was probably not really an issue. With that in mind, there probably isn't really much of a "learning curve" for developing GT7 on the PS5 leaving PD to focus solely on the game with the gift of more "power" thanks to the PS5. Lets just hope the car content is ACTUALLY updated. There are a LOT of cars that have been out that need to be in this game. A LOT. Granted there are new cars in GT's library, but on average, most of said library is getting pretty dated.

TBH, I'd be shocked if it didn't come out at launch, and then updated along the way. GTS had a pretty good update routine, and that should carry over to GT7. Besides, with Forza Motorsport supposedly releasing on launch of the new XBox, PD kind of needs to counter especially with the points above.

Of course it is official. It is from the OFFICIAL PlayStation Magazine.
As I explain in the article, the magazine is official in the sense that the licensing rights for the name were given (or rather sold) to Future Publishing by Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe.

That does not mean that any information within it is directly from Sony, and it can't be taken as such - hence our heavy caveats throughout. It is, however, a closer point of contact to Sony than, say, a game store. This is why it's more relevant that this information is in this magazine than on a Photoshopped game box cover in a game store.

Hasn't GT7 been in development, like, forever? Its not far fetched to see it as a launch title with comprehensive content at launch if its been in development for 4 plus years. I could easily see this launching with PS5, 700 odd cars, 35-40 locations with 120 or so layouts. I really dont think thats far fetched at all.

If this is the case, I will sway heavily to PS5 over Xbox this gen. Its been too long since we had a proper Gran Turismo.

The AI is just bad. The only sim I've played where the AI can race in tight packs at a normal pace is F1 2019. I don't have high expectations in that area, but gosh, I really hope it's better than GT Sport.

I've been playing a lot of GT4 lately and the AI isn't amazing, but it's at least more challenging than GT Sport. The only way to get a challenge in GT Sport is to significantly handicap yourself. I did a one-make MX-5 hour-long endurance race at Dragon Trail this morning (only using the hard compound) and lapped the entire field at least once.

I'm fine with standing starts or rolling starts, I just want a bit of a challenge with an actual career mode.
I always feel that, they know that the AI sucks, and they try to create fake difficulties like by removing Qualifying so you have to always start at the bottom, plus also rolling start to extend the leader's distance.

Hasn't GT7 been in development, like, forever? Its not far fetched to see it as a launch title with comprehensive content at launch if its been in development for 4 plus years. I could easily see this launching with PS5, 700 odd cars, 35-40 locations with 120 or so layouts. I really dont think thats far fetched at all.

If this is the case, I will sway heavily to PS5 over Xbox this gen. Its been too long since we had a proper Gran Turismo.

Well, if GT7 is in development forever, would they actually be able to give GT Sport the 500 car amount like their goal as stated here? That you claim 700 cars has been generated. Current GTS car count is only 336.

I always feel that, they know that the AI sucks, and they try to create fake difficulties like by removing Qualifying so you have to always start at the bottom, plus also rolling start to extend the leader's distance.

Well, if GT7 is in development forever, would they actually be able to give GT Sport the 500 car amount like their goal as stated here? That you claim 700 cars has been generated. Current GTS car count is only 336.

To me in terms of this discussion, what GTS has is totally irrelevant. It has 336 cars, cool, that doesn't mean GT7 can't have 700. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. GT5 prologue had 71 cars or something, GT5 had over 1000 for example.

To me in terms of this discussion, what GTS has is totally irrelevant. It has 336 cars, cool, that doesn't mean GT7 can't have 700. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. GT5 prologue had 71 cars or something, GT5 had over 1000 for example.
Yeah, but GT5 prologue wasn't being keep updated. While for GTS it does. What makes them only pick 168 (number of DLC cars) of 532 (your assumption of 700 - GTS cars at launch of 168) to add to GTS instead of 332 of 532? Obviously not all 700 generated cars of now to be inserted to GTS but more of it to reach their goal of 500 cars.
As for GT5, as Standard cars are PS2 ports, what they worked on in PS3 (Premiums) are around 200 compared to GT5P's 71.

Yeah, but GT5 prologue wasn't being keep updated. While for GTS it does. What makes them only pick 168 (number of DLC cars) of 532 (your assumption of 700 - GTS cars at launch of 168) to add to GTS instead of 332 of 532? Obviously not all 700 generated cars of now to be inserted to GTS but more of it to reach their goal of 500 cars.
As for GT5, as Standard cars are PS2 ports, what they worked on in PS3 (Premiums) are around 200 compared to GT5P's 71.

Well I dont work for PD so I cant answer the why in terms of what they chose. What I do know is they won't plough all the content into GTS while simultaneously developing GT7. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point in making GT7 if GTS gets all the content anyway. They're bound to hold a good chunk back for what will be the next main game in the series. GTS is still just a spin off after all.

Back