Gran Turismo 7 Could be PlayStation 5 Launch Title, Says Official PS Magazine

No, 221. PD aren't filling GT7's roster with hundreds of PS2 cars and outright making up another hundred cars on top of that to pad the car list to get to the number you've theorized.

You want to talk about how they will have 700 cars for GT7, then the discussion is about how many cars they can make for GT7. They ultimately had made 221 cars for GT5, including the 71 they made for GT5: P. That's what is important to the discussion about their development output. Not you insisting that GT5 had a thousand cars and therefore GT7 should be able to have 700.

Yeah, but GT5 prologue wasn't being keep updated.
Sure it was.

Spec I in December 2007 had 37 cars. Spec II in March 2008 had 71. The update after the US launch in April 2008 added five more to 76. Spec III in October 2008 added three more to make 79 in total. Though eight were "Tuned Car" variants of other cars, with extra wings and bits, making for 71 discrete car models.

No, 221. PD aren't filling GT7's roster with hundreds of PS2 cars and outright making up another hundred cars on top of that to pad the car list to get to the number you've theorized.

You want to talk about how they will have 700 cars for GT7, then the discussion is about how many cars they can make for GT7. They ultimately had made 221 cars for GT5, including the 71 they made for GT5: P. That's what is important to the discussion about their development output. Not you insisting that GT5 had a thousand cars and therefore GT7 should be able to have 700.
Conversely the argument is that the cars released in GT5: Prologue were made for GT5 and GT5: Prologue was simply a by-product of GT5's development.

Ultimately while we can gauge some semblance of things by looking at how many cars were released for previous games to try to get some handle onhow many cars can be made in what time frames we are missing far too much information to make an accurate assessment. We do not know when work first commenced on new vehicle assets for each game and we do not know how many people were working on those assets and for how long each of those people were working on them.

We do know that at some point in recent years PD have started outsourcing some work but we don't know how much or for how long that has been happening or will continue to happen.

We could be very pleasently surprised, but we could be disspointed in the GT7 car count just as easilly. Based on comments that it is easier to make assets now than it was and the the team at PD has only grown since making GT5 and GT6, I would estimate at least 100 new cars over what we currently have in GT Sport.

It could be more, it could be many more, but for many reasons it could be less. We might not even get every car that was in GT Sport in GT7 for modelling or licensing reasons. Whever the case, the level of detail that goes into these car models inside and out means that there is a lot of effort required to make them. Perhaps some people hoping for huge numbers might be over egging it a little.

I am keen to find out more information and maybe we will in August.

Exactly. For the same reason NASCAR, the Nissan open LMP2(3?) and the Nissan dragster Delta thing. We might see cars dropped from making it to GT7.

Nope. But there's nothing stopping them updating the PS3 versions of the models which were freshened up for GT6. Don't get what you want confused with what they're willing to do. No one thought they would fill GT5 with 700 sub par models with poor textures and they did.

And I hope they do, absolutely nothing wrong with good chunks of filler content to five things like used car dealers, tuning and free racing a bit more point and purpose. Nice headline feature "2000 cars at launch".

OK 2000 is ambitious but you get my point.

I always feel that, they know that the AI sucks, and they try to create fake difficulties like by removing Qualifying so you have to always start at the bottom, plus also rolling start to extend the leader's distance.
Absolutely. In GT Sport especially, it doesn't help that the AI drive like idiots at a track day who don't know what they're doing. They always take weird lines and brake far too early. I wonder if it's intentional, since the game is focused on multiplayer racing, to teach drivers to expect other cars to behave irregularly. Even if that is the case, it doesn't make for good racing. Not to mention, it sort of defeats the purpose of having multiple difficulties (not that I've ever noticed a difference between them anyway).

Yesterday a UK retailer leaked MS’s major remaining news for Halo. That being it’s F2P.

Not even a dedicated games store. Rather a toy shop akin to Toys ‘R Us. Not all retailer leaks are correct. Some will be initiated by a local manager to drive pre-orders etc. But higher up the management chain, these retailers, will have info not yet in the public domain. Not even amongst the games press.

Afterall, these are the people making orders, for millions of £$€ worth of stock. Months in advance.

I always feel that, they know that the AI sucks, and they try to create fake difficulties like by removing Qualifying so you have to always start at the bottom, plus also rolling start to extend the leader's distance.

I totally agree. One thing i absolutely hate about GT. they should hire the Kunos AI people so they can get that crap squared away.

Its been over 20 years and the AI isnt great in GT.

Crutching the AI by starting us last on a rolling start is a pathetic way to compensate for the lack of AI.

Remember when Kaz said that no new manufacturers will be added to Group 3 for GT Sport? To me, it instantly implies that we'll see some new brands entering the class, such as Bentley and Cadillac. But I don't think that's going to be the only shake up - the older spec Group 3's (Mercedes SLS, BMW Z4, Aston Martin V12 Vantage, McLaren 650S) will probably be removed or replaced by newer variations. I'd also want to see a Porsche 911 R in Group 3 instead of the RSR that races in WEC.

Nice bundle would be huge "buy me how you know" call.
Even bigger then "Shadow Marshall" was for PS4.

Nope. But there's nothing stopping them updating the PS3 versions of the models which were freshened up for GT6. Don't get what you want confused with what they're willing to do. No one thought they would fill GT5 with 700 sub par models with poor textures and they did.

And I hope they do, absolutely nothing wrong with good chunks of filler content to five things like used car dealers, tuning and free racing a bit more point and purpose. Nice headline feature "2000 cars at launch".
You're right, there was nothing stopping them from updating some of those PS2 models to look more clean nor adding all of those PS2 models in the first place. However, there's no indication that PD is going to repeat that again and I really don't think GT7 will have standard cars again.

Not that I would want them to as it would be completely laughable now to place models made for games from 15+ years ago on a PS5 game. Placing out-of-date models would break the visual immersion that GT7 would have, not to mention these models would probably be limited on customization in comparison to the PS5 models. Plus, there is no point in doing that other than to drive up the car count, but that's not worth doing.

You're right, there was nothing stopping them from updating some of those PS2 models to look more clean nor adding all of those PS2 models in the first place. However, there's no indication that PD is going to repeat that again and I really don't think GT7 will have standard cars again.

Not that I would want them to as it would be completely laughable now to place models made for games from 15+ years ago on a PS5 game. Placing out-of-date models would break the visual immersion that GT7 would have, not to mention these models would probably be limited on customization in comparison to the PS5 models. Plus, there is no point in doing that other than to drive up the car count, but that's not worth doing.

I'm not suggesting that they will. I'm merely pointing out that PD aren't averse to cutting corners in the name of content. A goid chunk of those standard cars were refreshed for and during GT6s tenure. I can definitely see those models making it. Its amazing what a good lighting engine can do the look of a game. Look at Minecraft. If there's any generation of console that could get away with it its the next generation.

I can definitely see those models making it. Its amazing what a good lighting engine can do the look of a game. Look at Minecraft. If there's any generation of console that could get away with it its the next generation.
and I'm going to say it again, that would be a big mistake. It doesn't matter how good their lighting engine is or will be, no amount of good lighting is going to hide the horrendous appearance those jaggy models will have. I would go on to say that they'll probably look even worse than on GT5 & 6 if that's the case since we're now up to 4k resolution.

Also Minecraft gets a pass because the blocky look is that game's whole artstyle. Everything in that game is blocky, while Gran Turismo 7 will have the same realistic artstyle that GT Sport has where car models are meant to look as close to the real thing as possible, those PS2 models will look so out-of-place.

I'm not suggesting that they will. I'm merely pointing out that PD aren't averse to cutting corners in the name of content. A goid chunk of those standard cars were refreshed for and during GT6s tenure. I can definitely see those models making it. Its amazing what a good lighting engine can do the look of a game. Look at Minecraft. If there's any generation of console that could get away with it its the next generation.
Those that are refresed like RUF right? It's differentiated as unofficial term "semi-Premium" or "super Standard". 152 of them get this treatment. Also, there are cars in GTS that comes from usual Standard (not refreshed), like Supra RZ or R92CP.

and I'm going to say it again, that would be a big mistake. It doesn't matter how good their lighting engine is or will be, no amount of good lighting is going to hide the horrendous appearance those jaggy models will have. I would go on to say that they'll probably look even worse than on GT5 & 6 if that's the case since we're now up to 4k resolution.

Also Minecraft gets a pass because the blocky look is that game's whole artstyle. Everything in that game is blocky, while Gran Turismo 7 will have the same realistic artstyle that GT Sport has where car models are meant to look as close to the real thing as possible, those PS2 models will look so out-of-place.

No your missing the point. I'm not taling ablut jaggy boxes like the Alto. I'm talking about the pumped up ones mentioned above. Semi premium/super standard whatever you want to call them. Id take 400 GTS standard and 800 super standards if that's a means to a 120p strong car list. With games like this quantity is a massive part of the attraction. They set the bar high with GT5 and GT6 whether everyone agreed with the method or not, it gave huge amounts of variety and content which meant tk games didn't get old quickly for car enthusiasts.

This is just my opinion, not asking people to attack my views, just putting out there what I'd like to see. Others are happy with 400 ultra premiums and that's fine too. I just have a high expectation with what has come before jn this series, and no I don't count GTS as it isn't a numbered entry.

No your missing the point. I'm not taling ablut jaggy boxes like the Alto. I'm talking about the pumped up ones mentioned above. Semi premium/super standard whatever you want to call them. Id take 400 GTS standard and 800 super standards if that's a means to a 120p strong car list. With games like this quantity is a massive part of the attraction.
Oh, I'm still well aware of those. I made a whole video showcasing every improved standard in GT6 and there was a whole thread I followed the GT6 thread that talked about those. My favorite ones were the Nissan R390s and those Rufs. However, I'm sorry to say that I still can't agree to this.

The problem with the updated standards is that only some of them looked nearly as good as premium cars. Most of them just added small things like panel gaps and cleaned up the textures. They still had a lot of the same flaws as their jagged counterparts such as not having the same customization as a premium car and having a black silhouette interior. I have more to say, but I'll explain later.

EDIT: It's later, I was also going to say that if PD continued, I bet it would be more of the same. With that said, I rather if they add 200 premium cars than 400-800 standard cars. Even if 400 looked like the Rufs.

This is just my opinion, not asking people to attack my views, just putting out there what I'd like to see. Others are happy with 400 ultra premiums and that's fine too. I just have a high expectation with what has come before jn this series, and no I don't count GTS as it isn't a numbered entry.
I know it is, hence why I said I disagree. I'm not attacking you, noone is attacking you dude. You gave your opinion and I gave my thoughts on your opinion.

Last edited:

I'm hoping that the PS4 capabilities showed PD that they can't get away with jaggy looking models of cars. I've heard of several cars looking incomplete in GTS, but I haven't payed much attention to any of those cars since I race in chase cam. But, the car textures have to live up to a certain level. PD should be aware that we expect better than other sim racers (iRacing, etc.). I make that statement & think back to the dreadful penalty system that PD thrusts upon us. :irked:

I doubt it because if it was launched as PS5 title then it would feel like an unfinished game just like Forza Motorsport 5 back in 2013.

I doubt it because if it was launched as PS5 title then it would feel like an unfinished game just like Forza Motorsport 5 back in 2013.
That makes no sense at all because if it wasn’t obvious enough for you, gt7 runs on the same game engine as GT sport which means that they can reuse every car and track in gt7 without having to remake the cars and the tracks again. Also since GT Sport hasn’t been updated in a while, it is safe to assume that they are working hard on gt7. They probably started working on GT7 right after GT sport launched in 2017.

I'd feel like GTS is the GT version of FM5, which means because GT7 uses the same engine, GT7 is like FM6/7, continuation of those. So no the FM5 period of GT already happened.

GT5 and GT6 weren’t unfinished games, what makes you think so ?
Standard cars and tracks for example, and that PD wanted to achieve many things on them, but can't due to PS3. GT6 has features released as updates in a slow basis and they also weren't utilized to full potential.

I don't think he standard models inclusion meant those games were unfinished, the choice to inlcude those was clearly a deliberate one. Whether it was a good choice or not is a different matter entirely.

Going by previous GT games this wont be worth buying until about a year or two after its released, never ending updates...i`m sick of game updates...

I still don't understand this perception that this game isn't close to being finished? Do you know something no one else does? Why would feel unfinished?

I'm seeing this loads and I just don't get it. Its probably been being worked on since before GTS.

FM5 wasn't unfinished anyway, people had an unrealistic expectation and were disappointed when it didn't meet what they wanted, like every game ever. Same with GT5 and GT6, arguably the most complete versions of Gran Turismo ever.

GT5 and GT6 weren’t unfinished games, what makes you think so ?
GT5 v1.00 is incredibly barebones with features and basic gameplay options missing.

The same goes for GT6, which somehow was missing features that had been patched into GT5 already, as if it was an earlier fork, bit more importantly it was missing a major advertised feature for 18 months, the track path editor. One aspect of it just didn't arrive at all.

Back