Gran Turismo 7: How Trial Mountain Has Changed

Yes! Was it the reverse layout? I think it had a jump and had to slam the brakes to avoid the barrier.
I believe forward direction preceded scarier barrier like you mention.
I remember for reverse direction that section being the (steeper grade taper) accent to the jump which achieved more impressive air.
Memories...

Or just not care about the believability (Route X having a non coastal desert pin point on the map but yet have a ship yard port.)

The barren landscape of SSRX would suggest that it's located somewhere along the Alaskan coastline. It's a place we can't really see on the map in the trailer.

The barren landscape of SSRX would suggest that it's located somewhere along the Alaskan coastline. It's a place we can't really see on the map in the trailer.

Probably will sound ignorant but...Wouldn’t Alaska have green grass if it was in the summer? Or Snow in the winter? Not the brown dirt? Also how many cargo ships go through Alaska as a port?

It is about the only remotely possible place though.

Probably will sound ignorant but...Wouldn’t Alaska have green grass if it was in the summer? Or Snow in the winter? Not the brown dirt? Also how many cargo ships go through Alaska as a port?

It is about the only remotely possible place though.

I'm no expert on Alaska's climate but I believe some places up there are barren all year long. The seaport and airport on the track is just eye candy to give the scenery some life.

I'm no expert on Alaska's climate but I believe some places up there are barren all year long. The seaport and airport on the track is just eye candy to give the scenery some life.

Oh sure I understand why it’s there from a design element. I’m just worried situations like that might take away from the immersion if it’s meant to pass off as a real location. With things that don’t exist in that real location. (If it’s barren dirt in Alaska...would that imply summer? In which should there even be a night option?) It just opens up all these questions.

Removing the map and leaving things ambiguous allow for more creative freedom imo.

There are cruises to Alaska(My Mother did one). Don't think I've seen one of the cruise ships come close to the port, but plane lands. Passengers disembark. join cruise ship. Maybe...

I wonder which original courses from prior GT games will return with notable changes like Trial Mountain, which ones will have minimal to no changes, and which ones will be omitted altogether? I'm pretty sure every original course from GT Sport will return, and without any changes. But I'd still love some of the original PS3-era courses to return, especially the city courses. Or, alternatively, I at least hope we see some good new city circuits to potentially replace them. Unfortunately, I don't foresee Circuito de la Sierra returning, as I think that'd be a lot of work for PD, and I think if rumors prove true, the Isle of Man TT course could be a better alternative.

Besides, it seems to me that Circuito de la Sierra was mostly for the Time Rally mode, and I don't think PD is the sort of developer to bring back an exact mode from a prior game on the same course. If anything, I think we could see a successor to the Time Rally mode, but on a different course, such as the aforementioned Isle of Man TT course, or perhaps Pikes Peak. Either way, I do think rally in some way or form will play a notable part in GT7, especially since I recall the Peugeot 208 Pikes Peak was confirmed years ago, as well as the fact that PD has the Pikes Peak license at the moment. In fact, I could see a new rally group to compliment Gr.B, which focuses on Pikes Peak-spec cars, which PD certainly has featured in prior games - there's the Suzuki Escudo, but also the Suzuki SX4, as well as the Tajima E-Runner, with the latter two being featured in GT6.

Do explain because this is the first time I've heard of this theory.

Only thing I could find is your post from a few years ago saying the surroundings are inspired by Florence, but I can't remember any obvious links...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/original-courses-locations-your-thoughts.245122/#post-6721215
So, yes, there's a tower from Florence (I actually can't remember whether it's a clock tower or a campanile; I did look it up once and found out which one it resembled) at the point where the R5 tracks diverge, but there's also signs for Palazzo Pitti along the back straight of SSR5.

Last edited:
So, yes, there's a tower from Florence (I actually can't remember whether it's a clock tower or a campanile; I did look it up once and found out which one it resembled) at the point where the R5 tracks diverge, but there's also signs for Palazzo Pitti along the back straight of SSR5.
Huh, no kidding. All this time, I thought SSR5/11/7 was based on Tokyo. Maybe it's more of a mix, where SSR5 is based on Florence, while SSR7 is based on part of the Wangan Line.

Huh, no kidding. All this time, I thought SSR5/11/7 was based on Tokyo. Maybe it's more of a mix, where SSR5 is based on Florence, while SSR7 is based on part of the Wangan Line.
If you look at the buildings they don't look Japanese, I never really had a thought about where it was based but never knew Florence was connected to it. It's easier to make out the architecture watching a modded lap to fake it looking like it's daytime.

Ah yes, I remember the clock tower near the junction. I always thought there's a Big Ben lookalike somewhere in Japan that they based it off on :lol: I think it got removed in the PS3 games though (I skipped GT3/4 so don't know about the version there). Never drove slow enough to notice what any of the road signs say :P

In any case, I think it's just the technological limitations of the era and PD's own freeform creativity that led to the surrounding scenery being what it is back then. I wouldn't say it's a definite sign of a certain fictional track being based on a certain country. Probably why they replaced it with the Tokyo Expressway series in GTS, to make it more clear that it's based on Japan.

I think it's a stretch notwithstanding signage for Pitti Palace. The clock tower itself looks vaguely Italian, but it doesn't look specifically like any real clock tower in Italy that I can find. Also, Florence does not have any mid/hi-rise office blocks of the type that surround the Clubman circuit - really that city has no modernist buildings at all - and certainly no freeway through the city center. The tallest building, by far, in that city is the Duomo and it would surely be visible if the track was meant to be Florence. Maybe...maaaaybe Milan but really it's some alternate reality Italian/Japanese mashup.

I have never noticed a monkey and a sea monster. I'm looking forward to trying this new Trial Mountain.

I think it's a stretch notwithstanding signage for Pitti Palace. The clock tower itself looks vaguely Italian, but it doesn't look specifically like any real clock tower in Italy that I can find. Also, Florence does not have any mid/hi-rise office blocks of the type that surround the Clubman circuit - really that city has no modernist buildings at all - and certainly no freeway through the city center. The tallest building, by far, in that city is the Duomo and it would surely be visible if the track was meant to be Florence. Maybe...maaaaybe Milan but really it's some alternate reality Italian/Japanese mashup.
Obviousely it's a completley fictional layout, the high rise buildings are likely just there to give some background scenery on what otherwise would be pretty barren. But when you look at the buildings by the side of the track they look inspired by the architecture style typical of Florence and the signage is deliberate, why else would they include that. Florence does have freeways and raised overpasses but like you said they are not right in the centre.

It's not a real layout though, none of the circuits from the original Gran Turismo are real layouts, they are all likely inspired by certain places (we know a few definitely are) but none actually are those places. It was only Laguna Seca that was actually a real location in GT2 and then from GT3 they started to include tracks like Tokyo Route 246 which are very much based not just on inspiration from a real place but also on actual real road layouts. So the inspiration is there in the close to track architecture and signage but it's certainly not a real road or layout.

Honestly i don't like very much the new version. Now it looks super wide and all flattened out , corners also have much larger radious now... I hope they've added the old layout as well because the new version looks like a totally different track

Dunno what's their modelling team obsession with wider tracks. Almost all of the them are like that in GTSport. I know they are good for racing but they're kind of soulless in comparison to classic GT tracks.

Last edited:
If thery wanted to do a proper comparison they should have used cockpit cam in the GT6 footage. It doesn't look noticably wider to me, but we're seeing two entirely different perspectives, one from inside the car and one from above the car with the bonnet in view. Absolute basics of doing a comparison, make as many conditions the same as possible (unless you are comparing the differences in conditions of course).

Didn’t it get switched to Japan in GT5 or am I completely mistaken?

All of the fictional tracks in GT5/6 gets the "PD flag" as their location (that weird purple zigzag icon thingy). The real circuits, city circuits and rally tracks get assigned to real countries. It's only from GT Sport that PD got obsessed with placing fictional tracks in real countries as well.

Honestly i don't like very much the new version. Now it looks super wide and all flattened out , corners also have much larger radious now... I hope they've added the old layout as well because the new version looks like a totally different track

PD: Butchers original tracks.
Old GT fans: Fine, I'll do it myself!

The first time I drove Trial Mountain in AC with the McLaren P1, hearing that turbo BOV during downshifts and flying through the final chicane with proper sim FFB. Pure bliss :embarrassed:

Last edited:
All of the fictional tracks in GT5/6 gets the "PD flag" as their location (that weird purple zigzag icon thingy). The real circuits, city circuits and rally tracks get assigned to real countries. It's only from GT Sport that PD got obsessed with placing fictional tracks in real countries as well.

PD: Butchers original tracks.
Old GT fans: Fine, I'll do it myself!

The first time I drove Trial Mountain in AC with the McLaren P1, hearing that turbo BOV during downshifts and flying through the final chicane with proper sim FFB. Pure bliss :embarrassed:

Nono like the street signs and stuff on the track is what I was referring to. (IMO I prefer the PD flag idea rather than shoehorning them into the real world Earth map)

Many of tracks in that mod are also way too wide.

AC tends to make equivalent tracks look wider than its GT counterparts because of its FOV. The Nordschleife for example is really claustrophobic in GT but feels a lot wider in AC. AC version is laser scanned so it's definitely accurate. I'm not sure about GT version.

Having driven most of the tracks in that video, I can say that most of them feel pretty damn close for being scratch made. The width and scenery may be a bit off here and there but the spirit is the same. The official new Trial Mountain however, is a step too different for my tastes.

Don't know if you've seen my other thread, I've addressed lots of the pros and cons made in this thread there: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/original-track-redesign-how-much-is-too-much.394414/

Nono like the street signs and stuff on the track is what I was referring to. (IMO I prefer the PD flag idea rather than shoehorning them into the real world Earth map)

It still says random places that doesn't look Japanese tbh. Aniot, Atakankt Airport, Rimonat are just some that you can pick up on in this video.

Some more comparison: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/tentative-signboard.205235/

Last edited:
You don’t‽ so who the hell has been stealing my bananas!
To quote Manuel from Fawlty Towers, "I know nuuuthing". :lol:

iknow-nothing-i-know-nothing-manuel-fawlty-towers-49071605.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:
AC tends to make equivalent tracks look wider than its GT counterparts because of its FOV. The Nordschleife for example is really claustrophobic in GT but feels a lot wider in AC. AC version is laser scanned so it's definitely accurate. I'm not sure about GT version.

Having driven most of the tracks in that video, I can say that most of them feel pretty damn close for being scratch made. The width and scenery may be a bit off here and there but the spirit is the same. The official new Trial Mountain however, is a step too different for my tastes.

Don't know if you've seen my other thread, I've addressed lots of the pros and cons made in this thread there: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/original-track-redesign-how-much-is-too-much.394414/

It still says random places that doesn't look Japanese tbh. Aniot, Atakankt Airport, Rimonat are just some that you can pick up on in this video.

Some more comparison: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/tentative-signboard.205235/

Nordschleife? Since GT4, laser scanning has been used until now.

Last edited:
Back