Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 30,939 comments
Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe
It´s more likely that we will get a big consolidated update ahead of the launch of PSVR2 sometime in February.
If they're working double time on the PSVR2 update to the point that they have nothing to release in Jan, it's unlikely that we'll get much in terms of content outside of VR...

United States
Home
Stock setup my gr10 is at 616hp but you have to up the weight and use IM and wets tires only which mean on the dry you will get at best 6 to 7 laps, but the bright side is its still a faster and better cornering car then those pesky GT cars on any difficulty.

But that's just me since I love the gr10, some say the 787b is a better car for this event.

Ireland
Ireland
Here's hoping that a longer update cycle (as others mention, maybe not til Feb) might be indicative of a general Quality of Life update in addition to the PSVR 2 updates. It would be a disservice to non-VR players not to have some kind of meaningful updates to the game, and there's a LONG list besides another 3 cars.

Canada
Canada
Here's hoping that a longer update cycle (as others mention, maybe not til Feb) might be indicative of a general Quality of Life update in addition to the PSVR 2 updates. It would be a disservice to non-VR players not to have some kind of meaningful updates to the game, and there's a LONG list besides another 3 cars.
An update to force feedback would be welcomed to go with the VR update.

Australia
Adelaide
GTP_Imari
If they're working double time on the PSVR2 update to the point that they have nothing to release in Jan, it's unlikely that we'll get much in terms of content outside of VR...
Maybe, but I wouldn't have thought the vehicle and track artists would have much to contribute to a VR update. They're gonna be making cars and tracks just like always.

Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe
Maybe, but I wouldn't have thought the vehicle and track artists would have much to contribute to a VR update. They're gonna be making cars and tracks just like always.
Then why not release what they (presumably) have ready in a Jan update? It's what they did in Dec when they couldn't bundle in anything else besides a Scape.

Australia
Adelaide
GTP_Imari
Then why not release what they (presumably) have ready in a Jan update? It's what they did in Dec when they couldn't bundle in anything else besides a Scape.
Well, quite.

I don't have an answer for that. I'm just pointing out that they have people specifically employed to make content and those people almost certainly aren't getting pulled off that to work on VR. The content is still getting made, unless they've thrown in the towel completely and just sacked everyone (which seems sort of unlikely). But Polyphony is choosing not to release it.

There are any number of reasons this could be, and we'll probably never know because Polyphony does not communicate with their community except under threat of financial penalty.

Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe
The content is still getting made, unless they've thrown in the towel completely and just sacked everyone (which seems sort of unlikely).
To be fair, there's been some recent high profile layoffs across the industry...

Australia
Adelaide
GTP_Imari
To be fair, there's been some recent high profile layoffs across the industry...
Right. And they're high profile because we hear about them.

The chances of Polyphony having done a similar thing and nobody having said anything are not zero, but they're pretty low. Not just that, their Careers page is (as usual) full of open ads for just about every role at the company. Unusual, if you're trying to downsize like has been the case for the other major layoffs.

Not impossible, but to quote myself - "...sort of unlikely."

==========

As an aside and not related to this conversation, I noticed while I was there that on their Careers page there isn't any jobs that are obvious candidates for "the person that what writes the campaign missions and stuff". Which is sort of interesting.

On their Part Time work page they have this:

1674539956071.png

For those who can't read Japanese, the job description says pretty much exactly what you'd expect - provide support for producing racing events for the Gran Turismo series. If anyone is inclined to apply, be warned that they value this role at the princely sum of 1800 yen an hour. About US$14.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a little. I hoped that there was an explanation for the lack of structured career and events that wasn't "we went cheap on the people who were doing the work".

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Right. And they're high profile because we hear about them.

The chances of Polyphony having done a similar thing and nobody having said anything are not zero, but they're pretty low. Not just that, their Careers page is (as usual) full of open ads for just about every role at the company. Unusual, if you're trying to downsize like has been the case for the other major layoffs.

Not impossible, but to quote myself - "...sort of unlikely."

==========

As an aside and not related to this conversation, I noticed while I was there that on their Careers page there isn't any jobs that are obvious candidates for "the person that what writes the campaign missions and stuff". Which is sort of interesting.

View attachment 1225196
For those who can't read Japanese, the job description says pretty much exactly what you'd expect - provide support for producing racing events for the Gran Turismo series. If anyone is inclined to apply, be warned that they value this role at the princely sum of 1800 yen an hour. About US$14.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a little. I hoped that there was an explanation for the lack of structured career and events that wasn't "we went cheap on the people who were doing the work".
It's quite funny though how we have PD as a racing developer for 25 years, having GT4 as a great stample of making a good race career mode. Like even me, a basic gamer can understand how it's was well made by not throwing money at you and cars for winning one race, no instead it's geniuely felt really rewarding back in ps2 era.

I just don't get it how it's hard to make a career with proper progression, going from a freaking renault avantime to let's say an LMP car. Plus as seen in Nenkai twitter posts, PD has some events literally cut from recent GT7 title, but functioning properly and can be loaded as well. It's just seems to me that behind the scenes it's literally a dumpster fire happening

Last edited:
Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe

View attachment 1225196

It all makes sense now. PD's bringing the piddly race payouts to real life wages.