Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 50,962 comments
  • 7,935,523 views
Some photos I took at the Pebble Beach Concours as Kaz was giving out his award on stage

_DSC0777.webp


_DSC0779.webp


_DSC0780.webp
 
I wonder why PD stopped posting news about the Pebble Beach on their website.
 
This is utterly inconsequential, but I just want to make sure my brain isn't playing tricks on me - the background on PD's news page used to be blue, right?
 
This is utterly inconsequential, but I just want to make sure my brain isn't playing tricks on me - the background on PD's news page used to be blue, right?
Not any time recently, as far as I recall. I did a quick Internet Archive check over several months across GT7's life and it's grey all the way back.

 
This is utterly inconsequential, but I just want to make sure my brain isn't playing tricks on me - the background on PD's news page used to be blue, right?
Yeah, I remembered it used to be blue, now it seems they turned it to grey.
 
After 3 years I finally received the Citroen invite on my second account to complete the car collection.
Seriously PD??? After waiting 3 years for the invite, I just received a second one 10 days later! Game design at it's finest.
 
Seriously PD??? After waiting 3 years for the invite, I just received a second one 10 days later! Game design at it's finest.
Invitations would be a lot better implemented if you could either win them from completing a relevant one-make/manufacturer event (Ferrari Circuit Challenge = Ferrari invite), or if you reached a high enough level in a Forza Motorsport 4 style "Brand Affinity" system, where completing races using specific manufacturer's cars will increase your level with the brand.
 
Last edited:
Bizarre feeling of the year...

Getting my third Ferrari Invitation in 3.5 years (two of them within the space of 2 weeks), and getting the urge to go and buy a third Enzo just.... Because.
 
Invitations would be a lot better implemented if you could either win them from completing a relevant one-make/manufacturer event (Ferrari Circuit Challenge = Ferrari invite), or if you reached a high enough level in a Forza Motorsport 4 style "Brand Affinity" system, where completing races using specific manufacturer's cars will increase your level with the brand.
I had a potentially even-better idea. You can still win the invites via roulette, but how they'd work would change. The cars that are typically locked behind invites - such as the Ferrari LaFerrari - would be purchasable at any time, but having an active invite would offer a notable discount on such a car. (I think around 20% would be reasonable.) Furthermore, the list of cars that could get discounted via an invite - but still available to buy at any time - would expand to include post-launch cars like the Porsche 918, Bugatti Chiron, and the Aston Martin Valkyrie.
 
Last edited:
If you have a spare hour or two (seriously, this is long, be warned) and want to read about PD's lighting/colour mapping techniques, they posted a talk some staff did earlier this month on the subject on their site:

Impressive.

PD are really good at their job, master at their craft.

I'm still amazed at how good the game looks. Even more so when we consider that it's a cross-generation engine, which has to run on 2013 hardware.

When we see the next game running on PS5/6, taking full advantage of the HDD and other technologies used by PS5, we're going to enjoy it.

Thanks for share it.
 
Last edited:
Looks like there's a multi-accounting scandal in GT Kokutai competition over Japan:

[Regarding Actions Taken for Violations of Tournament Regulations]

In the prefectural qualifiers, actions violating the tournament regulations were confirmed, and we have taken appropriate measures in accordance with said regulations.

To maintain the fairness and integrity of the tournament, we will continue to address violations of the regulations appropriately.

What this likely refers to:

It's really interesting that you can post this with the substitute runner's time.

What a shocking audacity, right?
From what I get it seems like the GT Kokutai player in question did a scheme similar to Renault's during Manu.
 
Last edited:
If you have a spare hour or two (seriously, this is long, be warned) and want to read about PD's lighting/colour mapping techniques, they posted a talk some staff did earlier this month on the subject on their site:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this PDF! I haven't read the document in its entirety but PD's unique approach to rendering and lighting is probably the main reason Gran Turismo looks so good.

I've always had a lot of respect for Japanese people in the sense that they constantly strive to make their craft as good as possible (similar how it used to be here in Germany). The section about Tone Mapping was really interesting. That explains how PD are the only racing game developer who are able to make their virtual cars look exactly like their IRL counterparts. Many racing games only come close but they don't manage to look exactly like the original (e.g. you will notice that in Forza or Project Cars the colors will be a slightly different shade, proportions will be slightly off etc.) whereas Polyphony achieve that.

That's also my approach when it comes to my replica liveries in the game. Not that I would compare myself to Polyphony Digital's skill level though lol
 
With 1.62 on the horizon, 1.61 cars' shared content statistics:
1756051557291.webp



CarStylesScapesRace PhotosReplaysAverage PagesCar TypeDecadeCountry
N-One
63​
37​
26​
10​
34​
Road2020sJP
R34 Z-Tune
50​
75​
42​
14​
45.25​
Pro Tuned2000sJP
Qashqai
18​
18​
7​
3​
11.5​
Road2020sJP

While Qashqai on the bottom do tell the community sentiment towards commuter crossovers in the game, there's an anomaly here where R34 Z-Tune has more pages worth of scape photos than pages of liveries for any of the three cars added in this update.
 
Do we know anything about HRC eMS GT Fastest Attack for this year? Last year's qualifiers was in August (though 2023's were in September).
Well...
 
Well...
Well, that sadly pretty much confirms no Super GT Civic in GT7 this year for those who were expecting it sooner than later.
 
Last edited:
Well, that sadly pretty much confirms no Super GT Civic in GT7 this year for those who were expecting it sooner than later.
Whole field needs to be updated. Given that is PD's local top racing series, it's shocking they are lagging on that.
 
Nah, the Civic gt500 still has a chance. They don't understand marketing too Well, all promtional content with the nsx and 3 months later wow it gets added.
 
Nah, the Civic gt500 still has a chance. They don't understand marketing too Well, all promtional content with the nsx and 3 months later wow it gets added.
That reminds me that the NC1 NSX has been out of production for 3 years now.
 
Well...
That lineup of sponsors is eclectic, to say the least!
 
I thought we would have seen 30 cars after GT Sport, but doubt we’ll see that many cars on track in a future GT game. PD shouldn’t have teased that with the Mission in GT Sport.
 
Back