Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

I am talking about to GT7 not GT Sport, because this is a Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as a PS5 Launch title thread ok. I know GT Sport is not that good game because it is not a numbered game, and I said in another thread here about GT Sport. PCars 2 and AC them games do not appeal to me.
Good point. :lol:

Really? I feel the opposite. Gran Turismo is structured again. If anything I'd say GTS is more like GT3 than 4/5/6. The first three you mentioned knew what they were doing, and 4/5/6 lost themselves to quantity over quality.
I'd say adding a half-assed career mode with the unrealistic chase the rabbit formula and rubberbanding in every race well into this realistic motorsport focused game's life isn't a sign of structure. Had they stuck to their guns and continued to improve the motorsport aspect of the game instead of randomly adding road cars and GT Mode, GTS could be considered structured. I still like the game but yeah.

On a different note, dynamic time and weather with ray-tracked lighting and at least GTSs graphics :drool: Please make those a focus for the PS5 GT PD. You're lagging behind some of the competition in that regard. I'm also looking forward to if anything comes from their partnership with Michelin. Hopefully it amounts to more than just their logo being plastered everywhere.

They should go back to their roots for all I care. I still think that the first installment is the best in the series, in terms of structure.

As usual, GTSport is used to showcase the latest Sony product. This looks like to be the new 8k TV of Sony and it's not even out yet (March).
I'm sure the absence of GTSport at CES this year (except the Bravia video) was to prevent any question from the video game community. Sony wanted to showcase its new TVs, people were interested by PS5 news.

Otherwise, GTSport is everywhere at Sony: high-end new 8k TV, micro led screens... Poly must be very proud.

https://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/202002/20-0207/
"This unit also supports video input from next-generation game consoles."

https://www.sony.jp/bravia/z9h_sp/
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/200207/

c4_thumb7.jpg

I'd say adding a half-assed career mode with the unrealistic chase the rabbit formula and rubberbanding in every race well into this realistic motorsport focused game's life isn't a sign of structure. Had they stuck to their guns and continued to improve the motorsport aspect of the game instead of randomly adding road cars and GT Mode, GTS could be considered structured. I still like the game but yeah.

On a different note, dynamic time and weather with ray-tracked lighting and at least GTSs graphics :drool: Please make those a focus for the PS5 GT PD. You're lagging behind some of the competition in that regard. I'm also looking forward to if anything comes from their partnership with Michelin. Hopefully it amounts to more than just their logo being plastered everywhere.
One thing about the random cars is that they're not random. If you look cloesly the trend seems to be that a majority of models added, despite being road cars, have some sort of history in motorsports. Not all of them are this way, but a majority are. The Clios have one-off cup races for example, the Toyota 2000GT did some racing there for a while in Japan. M3 E30 is obvious with it's rally and DTM ties. The 356 has club races and Panamericana
. etc, etc.

Also another part is that there is a trend where every newer model seems to get an older one added too and vice verse. I can see an older charger or newer Challenger being added sometime.

Last edited:
Honestly GT sport is so close to what an ideal GT7 has to be, it just lacks championships that are extremely easy to implement, proper reward, used car dealership, qualifications for every race, proper tuning options and dynamic weather(this is more of a technical challenge)... i dont expect GT7 to be much more than an even prettier GTsport with those added options.

Last edited:
Honestly GT sport is so close to what an ideal GT7 has to be, it just lacks championships that are extremely easy to implement, qualifications for every race, proper tuning options and dynamic weather(this is more of a technical challenge)... i dont expect GT7 to be much more than an even prettier GTsport with those added options.
Well, GT Sport would have been exactly (or mostly) that kind of game if it wasn't actually scrimped out in the first place.

When I buy a PS5 I will only have 1 racing game and nothing else on it because I like cars, and Gran Turismo game is the only game that appeals to me.

Yes, me too. I bought ps3 just for gt5. I'll buy ps5 just for gt7. Gt sport is only gt game I skipped and I have no regrets after playing it many times.

Yes, me too. I bought ps3 just for gt5. I'll buy ps5 just for gt7. Gt sport is only gt game I skipped and I have no regrets after playing it many times.

Its a given GT7 will be nigh on identical but with a higher res and frame rate / some new cars n tracks, so I guess you will be regretting your PS5 purchase rofl

Honestly GT sport is so close to what an ideal GT7 has to be, it just lacks championships that are extremely easy to implement, proper reward, used car dealership, qualifications for every race, proper tuning options and dynamic weather(this is more of a technical challenge)... i dont expect GT7 to be much more than an even prettier GTsport with those added options.
I also think that a GT7 is going to be a very very close to a GT Sport kind of game, but PD must improve the track physics, and that is the most important part of racing.
GT7 will have Championship events and the other things that are missing you would think because GT Sport is not a Numbered game, and I hope PD got some news about the next GT game, and boy we do need a new game.

I would rather have less of graphics and better real life performance attributes. Focus on the driving experience, car list, track list and forget about the grills of the cars... Unfortunately, PS5 is all about the looks of it.

Interesting article,

Sony Breaks PS5 Pricing Tradition for Xbox Series X Launch

According to a Bloomberg report, Sony Corporation SNE is facing high manufacturing costs of PlayStation 5, with scarce components and erratic supply of raw materials compounding its problems to set a balanced retail price. In addition, the impending launch of Xbox Series X by arch rival Microsoft Corporation MSFT has forced the company to adopt a waiting game in its price-setting decision to avert being too overpriced.

Death Knell for PS4?

Sony aims to gradually replace PS4 with PS5 in the upcoming holiday season. Since its retail debut on Nov 15, 2013, PS4 has been a key revenue driver with sales recently topping 106 million units, making it the second best-selling home console in the history of video games. In addition, more than 1.15 billion games were reportedly sold for PS4, generating additional revenues for the company.

However, with PS5 launch in the horizon, sales have been on the wane as players seem more eager to wait for the new product. Sony had earlier disclosed the product features of the upcoming model with various market teasers, revealing its several hardware enhancements. These include a faster hard drive that will significantly reduce or eliminate load times, a 4K Blu-ray drive and a more adaptive controller. The company is also reportedly splurging on the cooling system to ensure that heat dissipation from powerful chips inside the console does not cause any issue for gamers.

Breaking Tradition

Traditionally, Sony finalizes the pricing of a console, scheduled to be released in a particular year, in February and follows it up with a mass production in spring. With PS5, the company, however, is likely to deviate from this pattern and employ a cat-and-mouse approach. Various insiders familiar with the proceedings have revealed that the dearth of a steady supply of DRAM and NAND flash memory, due to burgeoning demand from 5G smartphone manufacturers, has escalated the production costs of PS5 to around $450 a unit. Experts opine that this is likely to force the company to set the retail price at $470 per unit with similar profit margins as that of PS4. This, in turn, is likely to make it hard to sell as even the most expensive console of Sony to date – the PS4 Pro at $399.99 per unit – is often discounted to generate sales.

Moreover, the imminent launch of Xbox Series X by Microsoft has forced Sony to hold back its pricing decision. Sony and Microsoft have often crossed swords with each other with respective gaming consoles — PS4 and Xbox One. The company apparently does not want to set the price too high to be viewed as being overpriced, thereby losing on market competition.

Worth a Gamble?

Sony has reportedly shelved plans to develop a new mirrorless camera this year owing to the constrained DRAM supply. The company is instead focusing on the launch of PS5, keeping the pricing factor under wraps. Notably, videogame companies often keep slender profit margins from hardware sales or even undercuts the production costs to rake in more money through additional sale of lucrative gaming software and online subscription services. Sony is likely to employ this tactic for PS5 with its CEO even hinting that the business should be gauged by the number of active users and not by the quantum of hardware units sold. The ploy appears to be all the more likely with Microsoft launching the updated Xbox version sometime in June.

Meanwhile, Amazon.com, Inc. AMZN has forayed into the gaming domain with its nearly $1 billion acquisition of Twitch, a leading live streaming platform for gamers. Alphabet’s GOOGL gaming platform Stadia has also outsmarted rivals by enabling users to stream games online on any device like smartphones, laptops, desktops and tablets or on televisions with the aid of Chromecast media stick connection, without shelling out extra money for expensive gaming consoles and PCs.

With rivals creating such significant inroads in the gaming domain, critics wonder whether Sony’s PS5 gamble would be worth it.

Interesting article,

Sony Breaks PS5 Pricing Tradition for Xbox Series X Launch

According to a Bloomberg report, Sony Corporation SNE is facing high manufacturing costs of PlayStation 5, with scarce components and erratic supply of raw materials compounding its problems to set a balanced retail price. In addition, the impending launch of Xbox Series X by arch rival Microsoft Corporation MSFT has forced the company to adopt a waiting game in its price-setting decision to avert being too overpriced.

Death Knell for PS4?

Sony aims to gradually replace PS4 with PS5 in the upcoming holiday season. Since its retail debut on Nov 15, 2013, PS4 has been a key revenue driver with sales recently topping 106 million units, making it the second best-selling home console in the history of video games. In addition, more than 1.15 billion games were reportedly sold for PS4, generating additional revenues for the company.

However, with PS5 launch in the horizon, sales have been on the wane as players seem more eager to wait for the new product. Sony had earlier disclosed the product features of the upcoming model with various market teasers, revealing its several hardware enhancements. These include a faster hard drive that will significantly reduce or eliminate load times, a 4K Blu-ray drive and a more adaptive controller. The company is also reportedly splurging on the cooling system to ensure that heat dissipation from powerful chips inside the console does not cause any issue for gamers.

Breaking Tradition

Traditionally, Sony finalizes the pricing of a console, scheduled to be released in a particular year, in February and follows it up with a mass production in spring. With PS5, the company, however, is likely to deviate from this pattern and employ a cat-and-mouse approach. Various insiders familiar with the proceedings have revealed that the dearth of a steady supply of DRAM and NAND flash memory, due to burgeoning demand from 5G smartphone manufacturers, has escalated the production costs of PS5 to around $450 a unit. Experts opine that this is likely to force the company to set the retail price at $470 per unit with similar profit margins as that of PS4. This, in turn, is likely to make it hard to sell as even the most expensive console of Sony to date – the PS4 Pro at $399.99 per unit – is often discounted to generate sales.

Moreover, the imminent launch of Xbox Series X by Microsoft has forced Sony to hold back its pricing decision. Sony and Microsoft have often crossed swords with each other with respective gaming consoles — PS4 and Xbox One. The company apparently does not want to set the price too high to be viewed as being overpriced, thereby losing on market competition.

Worth a Gamble?

Sony has reportedly shelved plans to develop a new mirrorless camera this year owing to the constrained DRAM supply. The company is instead focusing on the launch of PS5, keeping the pricing factor under wraps. Notably, videogame companies often keep slender profit margins from hardware sales or even undercuts the production costs to rake in more money through additional sale of lucrative gaming software and online subscription services. Sony is likely to employ this tactic for PS5 with its CEO even hinting that the business should be gauged by the number of active users and not by the quantum of hardware units sold. The ploy appears to be all the more likely with Microsoft launching the updated Xbox version sometime in June.

Meanwhile, Amazon.com, Inc. AMZN has forayed into the gaming domain with its nearly $1 billion acquisition of Twitch, a leading live streaming platform for gamers. Alphabet’s GOOGL gaming platform Stadia has also outsmarted rivals by enabling users to stream games online on any device like smartphones, laptops, desktops and tablets or on televisions with the aid of Chromecast media stick connection, without shelling out extra money for expensive gaming consoles and PCs.

With rivals creating such significant inroads in the gaming domain, critics wonder whether Sony’s PS5 gamble would be worth it.
Bloomberg don't know anything about this. At. All. Streaming is a big fail. Take up of "You don't own the game subscription" crap is about one third of console owners.

I even would pay $600 as long the Specs are ''amazing''...
Why people whining and saying $500 would be max. to spend.
Yep. Price per specification. For some reason people are wanting an I9 and 2080 TI for £400. Bizarre.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see GT7 shown at the PS5 reveal. But my understanding is it’s planned for 2021.

Given PS5 is coming late 2020, with potentially limited supply. I expect Sony want to stagger 1st party AAA releases.

Well I am in two minds about this upcoming console. Part of me wants to believe that PD will be able to deliver GT7 as a launch title for the console but given it's Polyphonic Digital we are talking about here and delays have been present in all previous games in the series I am also not convinced.

At present I don't have any plans to move over to PS5 but I may consider it depending what does come of the next GT title.

That said I hope the next game does convince me to part with my money too!

A hundred bucks or even $200 will not sway my decision to buy a PS5 but what will decide is the release date of the next GT. I only buy the latest counsel when the newest GT is released. I have done the same since the original PS and Gran Turismo. At least the very first GT was not late as far as I knew, I knew nothing about GT until it was on the shelf and someone told me it was a fantastic game. :D

Could there be a GT Sport for PS5 even before an actual GT7? Usually PD takes longer to make the jump and I too think it's too soon. Kind of a way to avoid alienating the PS4 players while still providing a tempting exclusive for newcomers to Sony's console.

Back