Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

It took them 3 years from GT5 to GT6 and 4 from GT6 to Sport, a pretty normal dev cycle in my opinion. Can't see why they couldn't pull off a launch title.

I'm not saying they will (i personally don't think so), however i don't see why they couldn't.

Don't forget 5.5 years from GT4 to GT5 , and GT5 wasn't so good compared with the developing time (~4÷5 years) (It's only my humble and personal opinion ..be clear ;) )

IR

GT5 is the outlier, not the rule

Also, the PS3 was known to be a pain to develop on which no doubt attributed to the extended development time

Of course , but I remember at that time , summer 2009, according to someone in Sony (europe??), GT5 was "quite" complete ..
december 2009 they annunced the "20 locations 70 variations" and the 3D improvement ...
and we had to wait another whole year for an uncomplete game (DAY ONE - do you remember the gear setting "arcade" type ? ..only one cursor ..)

I prefer to wait one year more than to have another uncomplete game .. (GT5, GTSPORT .... )

IR

Don't forget 5.5 years from GT4 to GT5 , and GT5 wasn't so good compared with the developing time (~4÷5 years) (It's only my humble and personal opinion ..be clear ;) )

IR

You also have to consider that they were developing multiple projects during the development of GT5. They released
Tourist Trophy (2006)
GT5 Prologue (2007)
GT PSP (2009)
GT5 (2010)

Not a bad output for a small(less than 200 staffs during that time) AAA developer like PD if you think about it.

Last edited:
"pOlY sUcKs cAuSe iT tOoT 5 yEaRs To mAke Gt5"

GT5 has been the only game that took over half a decade to make. Remember the PS3 was a very very complex system to make games for even with being exclusive. What i imagine was that GTSport is GT7 Prologue. i hate to say it but it the game will lack in content if it is released this year maybe just push the cars and tracks from sport over and expand from that. personally I don't really mind it cause even with 3 years between 5-6 they did put a whole lot of content down on launch and continue with monthly updates like gt sport

You also have to consider that they were developing multiple projects during the development of GT5. They released
Tourist Trophy (2006)
GT5 Prologue (2007)
GT PSP (2008)
GT5 (2010)

Not a bad output for a small(less than 200 staffs during that time) AAA developer like PD if you think about it.
GT PSP WAS 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why everyone thinks the game will lack content if it comes this year? Y'all know it doesn't take the whole dev team to produce DLC right

I swear PD took slightly longer to make one game
Two games.

and the stigma that they take forever to make games has stuck with them since
Them blowing through development schedules publicly and repeatedly dating back twenty years is what has made them keep that stigma, regardless of whether their actual development period is out of sorts with the rest of the industry.

A full bore GT7 also carries quite a bit different expectations than a side game railed on for it's lacking amount of content that still took them three years and multiple delays to release on PS4; and thus raises the question moreso of whether it is something they can actually do in time for the launch of a new console. They didn't manage it when they were supposedly just making an enhanced version of a PSX game to act as a sequel (the game was delayed half a year, admittedly to great effect). They didn't do it when they were trying to just port GT4 to PSP (the game came out over 5 years after it was announced). They didn't do it when they were just going to dump a bunch of PS2 assets on PS3 running at higher resolution (the game was cancelled outright, but then 80% of the game they did make that came out 4 years later featured that anyway). The only reason I'd consider it possible is because the PS5 actually kept the same system architecture as it's predecessor, so they actually could have been working on it all this time following GT Sport's release and not allegedly have to scrap everything in the move to new hardware.

Last edited:
Two games.

Them blowing through development schedules publicly and repeatedly dating back twenty years is what has made them keep that stigma, regardless of whether their actual development period is out of sorts with the rest of the industry.

A full bore GT7 also carries quite a bit different expectations than a side game railed on for it's lacking amount of content that still took them three years and multiple delays to release on PS4; and thus raises the question moreso of whether it is something they can actually do in time for the launch of a new console. They didn't manage it when they were supposedly just making an enhanced version of a PSX game to act as a sequel (the game was delayed half a year). They didn't do it when they were trying to just port GT4 to PSP (the game came out over 5 years after it was announced). They didn't do it when they were just going to dump a bunch of PS2 assets on PS3 running at higher resolution (the game was cancelled outright, but then 80% of the game they did make that came out 4 years later featured that anyway). The only reason I'd consider it possible is because the PS5 actually kept the same system architecture as it's predecessor, so they actually could have been working on it all this time following GT Sport's release and not allegedly have to scrap everything in the move to new hardware.

Thanks for the insight. Wasn't aware on everything. Admittedly the PS4 and PS5 sharing the same system architecture is probably the biggest thing to me that implies they might be on time here

Believing that GT7 will be a PS5 launch title is just delusional, otherwise there's going to be a Forza Motorsport 5 situation where we end up with a rushed, poorly hacked together mess with a pitiful amount of content.

yes but Forza 5 still had over 240 cars at release and many tracks.

but yes it was a step down from the content Forza 4 offered.

They did not the „standard card“ route but still Fans bashed it.
I was ashamed about no Nordschleife but that came as FREE DLC thankfully.

Because Polyphony's history shows they are horrible at meeting deadlines, even their own set deadlines can be years off.

hehe - almost done ^^
Anyone remembers Kaz statement to the track editor of GT6.

First it was huuuuuuuge and from interview to interview it got smaller and actually delayed anyway :dopey:

And the only reason that Polyphony hasn't been taken behind the woodshed by Sony like every other racing game developer in the past fifteen years, or even given so much as a public slapping of the wrists, is because Kaz is on the board for Sony's gaming division, and because Polyphony is one of the few Japanese first parties that are left in a division that has increasingly consolidated in the West in terms of first party developers. (In fact, one can make the water holding argument that the entire reason why Evolution specifically was killed off by Sony was because Kaz was scared that Driveclub, with its graphical horsepower and sales numbers, would surpass them, and he wants to make sure his GT baby is coddled as much as possible, but that's probably going into conspiracy territory, and ripe for the typical dumbasses to come around with disingenuous arguments and say that every copy of Driveclub sans five of them were sold as free games on PS Plus)

And the only reason that Polyphony hasn't been taken behind the woodshed by Sony like every other racing game developer in the past fifteen years, or even given so much as a public slapping of the wrists, is because Kaz is on the board for Sony's gaming division, and because Polyphony is one of the few Japanese first parties that are left in a division that has increasingly consolidated in the West in terms of first party developers. (In fact, one can make the water holding argument that the entire reason why Evolution specifically was killed off by Sony was because Kaz was scared that Driveclub, with its graphical horsepower and sales numbers, would surpass them, and he wants to make sure his GT baby is coddled as much as possible, but that's probably going into conspiracy territory, and ripe for the typical dumbasses to come around with disingenuous arguments and say that every copy of Driveclub sans five of them were sold as free games on PS Plus)
Citation required please.

And not for Kaz being on the board, I mean all the other dribble.

So just saw this post on IG, screengrab isn't mine.
Probably reading into this too much, but a man can only hope

Every time we've seen 'mistakes/leaks' like this, they have always come true.

Guys, GT7 can make PS5's launch.

#1 - Just think about it. Q4 2020 will have been 3 years since GT Sport was released. It took 4 years to go from GT6 to GT Sport, so one year less isnt insurmountable.

#2 - Also, it's very possible PD could ship a 'bare bones' GT7 Q4 2020 and then update it steadily over the next 6-7 years of the PS5's lifespan. So theres no pressure to launch the game with loads and loads of content and features.

#3 - PS5 is likely going to launch at $499 or higher. Sony is going to need huge games on the system soon in order to get people to buy it, especially in this economy. For me personally, GT7 being a launch title means Im preordering the PS5 as soon as its possible to. If GT7 is not a launch title, it will probably be the first Playstation console launch I skip since....PS1.

And the only reason that Polyphony hasn't been taken behind the woodshed by Sony like every other racing game developer in the past fifteen years, or even given so much as a public slapping of the wrists, is because Kaz is on the board for Sony's gaming division, and because Polyphony is one of the few Japanese first parties that are left in a division that has increasingly consolidated in the West in terms of first party developers. (In fact, one can make the water holding argument that the entire reason why Evolution specifically was killed off by Sony was because Kaz was scared that Driveclub, with its graphical horsepower and sales numbers, would surpass them and he wants to make sure his GT baby is coddled as much as possible, but that's probably going into conspiracy territory, and ripe for the typical dumbasses to come around with disingenuous arguments and say that every copy of Driveclub sans five of them were sold as free games on PS Plus)

>Evolution specifically was killed off by Sony was because Kaz was scared that Driveclub,
with its graphical horsepower and sales numbers, would surpass them

I have no idea why people spread these kind of rumors. Do you have something to back that up?

Why the hell PD/Kaz should be blame for the closure of Evolution? Look at the history of Evolution Studios during the PS3 era. Their games wasn't selling well and even as early as 2011 they were already worried of being shut down by Sony.

Sony still a business you know? They won't invest on something that doesn't make money in return. PD sold more than 25 million copies of GT from 2005-2015. So, it's not really surprising that they have so much privileged, they've earned it.

And I just love how you implied that PD are so incompetent they wouldn't able to reach the visuals of Driveclub. Haha. Come on, game developers have different priorities. Doesn't mean future GT's wouldn't look as good as Driveclub.

Last edited:
Every time we've seen 'mistakes/leaks' like this, they have always come true.

Guys, GT7 can make PS5's launch.

#1 - Just think about it. Q4 2020 will have been 3 years since GT Sport was released. It took 4 years to go from GT6 to GT Sport, so one year less isnt insurmountable.

#2 - Also, it's very possible PD could ship a 'bare bones' GT7 Q4 2020 and then update it steadily over the next 6-7 years of the PS5's lifespan. So theres no pressure to launch the game with loads and loads of content and features.

#3 - PS5 is likely going to launch at $499 or higher. Sony is going to need huge games on the system soon in order to get people to buy it, especially in this economy. For me personally, GT7 being a launch title means Im preordering the PS5 as soon as its possible to. If GT7 is not a launch title, it will probably be the first Playstation console launch I skip since....PS1.

I didnt even own a PS4 until GTS was released, I dont plan on buying a PS5 until the next new Gran Turismo is released and even at that since the game is so heavily focused on online play I my not even buy the next GT if they cant find a way to improve the crappy penalty system. I will switch to PC racing if we are forced to continue with Polyphony's current idea of a proper penalty system.

This 2020 release date is entirely a placeholder given to retailers from Sony which got leaked.

I remember going Argos seeing "GT5 coming fall 2009" and it didn't.

I hope they release gt7 on ps4 pro, dont want to buy new console for upscaled gt sport
they can put gran theft auto 6 as ps5 release title

Back