Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

There are so many standard cars that are not yet premium that they need to work on. There’s no way GT7 would be coming next year.
Gt7 is maybe not likely to come out next year but its possible. And who said that they need to redone every standard car. The game does not need to launch with 1000 cars. Even 400-500 would not be a bad Number.

To quell the cynicism we should look at the release time frames.

GT3 - 2001
GT4 - 2004
Prologue - 2008
GT5 - 2010
GT6 2013
GTS 2017

Pretty much 3 years between titles with the only one out of step being prologue, but then getting back into step with GT5. If prologue had released in 07, instead of 08, it would have been 3 years to GT5, but it was intended for PS3 so it had to wait. GTS was a year later than it should have been, but then again, it had to content with VR and 4k. Now that those base features are in, it's feasible that it can get back on track to a 3 year schedule.

Based on that, they next GT should be 2020.

PS 2 - 2000
PS 3 - 2006
PS 4 - 2013

If PS 5 comes in 7 years from the release of PS 4, it should launch in 2020
I'm not trying to be cynical, I'm just making a joke because GT5 was plagued with delays, and GT Sport had it's release pushed back. Based on this, I preceded to make a half-hearted comment, suggesting that GT7 may not arrive as a launch title. I wasn't talking about specific time frames between games, but now that you mention it, I see several flaws with your claim. The only 3 year gaps were between GT3 and GT4, along with GT5 and GT6. There was 4 year gap from GT4 to GT5 Prologue, and a 2 year gap between Prologue and GT5. There is also a 4 year gap between GT6 and GTS... So for the most part, GT games do not release every 3 years. And that's not even including the gaps between GT1, GT2 and GT3.

There are so many standard cars that are not yet premium that they need to work on. There’s no way GT7 would be coming next year.
Well maybe not at this exact time next year, but later on, I'd say it would.

Gt7 is maybe not likely to come out next year but its possible. And who said that they need to redone every standard car. The game does not need to launch with 1000 cars. Even 400-500 would not be a bad Number.
The GT that has many cars is always the sequel GTs on 1 console (GT2 with 650, GT4 with 729, GT6 with 445 premiums, 152 semi-premiums).

I'm not trying to be cynical, I'm just making a joke because GT5 was plagued with delays,
...There was 4 year gap from GT4 to GT5 Prologue

You aren't looking at the schedule as a whole. As I stated, if that one extra year from GT4 to Prologue had kept pace, there would have been a consistent 3 year interval between every title from GT3 through to GT6. We all know the press reports what they are told and I believe that the "GT5" delays were an excuse for the later launch of Prologue. The plan for what became Prologue was likely more ambitious at the outset.

The "2 GT's per generation" expectation would also have been maintained is they released GTS in 2016 with a follow up in 2019. However, there is evidence that there was a change of heart on what they should do with the GT franchise for the PS4 generation.

Go to your community page and make any image in your gallery a full screen. There, you will see that the title changes from "Gtsport" to "GT7sp". It's quite possible that GTS is the title that is out of step and, given the paradigm shift that Sport Mode has caused, it may have had a knock on effect for the follow-up, whatever it may be called.

Based on this, I preceded to make a half-hearted comment, suggesting that GT7 may not arrive as a launch title.

Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out. Your comment was one of several and I was pointing out how the general cynicism was misguided.

The only 3 year gaps were between GT3 and GT4, along with GT5 and GT6. , and a 2 year gap between Prologue and GT5. There is also a 4 year gap between GT6 and GTS... So for the most part, GT games do not release every 3 years. And that's not even including the gaps between GT1, GT2 and GT3.

GT 1 and 2 were PS 1, and the development time frame back then was a different animal. The fact that they took 2 years when everyone else was doing annual releases was a shockingly massive amount of time back then. And, as I stated above, in the release timeline from GT3 to GT6, prologue is the only title that is out of place of a consistent 3 year schedule.

Whenever the discussion around GT and Playstation comes up you always have to remember than GT and Playstation are essentially one in the same. Gran Turismo is to Playstation as Mario is to Nintendo. If there is new tech coming from the Playstation hardware team, PD will get it first. So, it is 100% feasible that Sony is making the call to push the next GT to be a launch title.

Remember that PS3 was a flop on release. It had it's butt handed to it by the xbox360. Sony did a good job of regaining popularity with PS4 and they likely want to ensure PS5 is not dead on arrival. Given that many people but Playstations solely because of GT, it makes sense to TRY and release them together.

It may not happen. This stuff actually IS akin to rocket science, but there is a lot of money on the line for Sony so I'm sure they will throw quite a lot of resources at it.

Group C cars are irrelevant past cars?

So some of the fastest and most iconic cars to ever race at one of the most famous races on the planet are irrelevant? The very first car and the very first mass production car are irrelevant?

For someone so eager to defend PD you seem to have missed one of the stated aims of the GT series that has been consistent throughout the series entire life span, which is to provide a history of the automobile and motorsport.
Well, it seems so for many people who says the car list is outdated and only wanted newer ones. I thought @HarVee was one of those people, but he replied that he wanted to have more of newer cars in addition to legendary old cars and acknowledged PD done that in GT3-GT4.

It is feasible that GT7 launches along with a PS5. What would it take?
GT-Sport is already here, it has many of the features that GT7 would consist of. What is lacking is a more focused approach to offline play and maybe a few more tracks. The thing is that the PS5 is fundamentally built on the same hardware as a PS4, at least seen from a programmers viewpoint. It will be very very easy compared to any other Playstation to get PS4 games running on a PS5. So naturally it will be very easy to take GT-Sport as a foundation and add the needed bits and pieces to create a whole new game with a online part called GT-Sports, where you can race players on the original GT-Sport. The offline part could be based 100% on the old tried tested and very boring concept, or a new thing. The main part of all this is that the core game is there now and that makes a huge difference.
Next GT mainline series needs a huge track increase (if cars are debatable), not just a few.

Given that many people but Playstations solely because of GT, it makes sense to TRY and release them together.
Given that one of the single most important metrics for any console developer is 'attach rate', people buying a console for a single title is one of the last things they would want.

Plenty of titles exist that have both a much higher potential audience and are not normally 'solus' purchases that would far better suited for Sony's purposes.

Well, it seems so for many people who says the car list is outdated and only wanted newer ones. I thought @HarVee was one of those people, but he replied that he wanted to have more of newer cars in addition to legendary old cars and acknowledged PD done that in GT3-GT4.
I can only reply to the words you used, but my guess is that many people want both the classics and new cars, rather than sacrifice one for the other.

Well hell, I just bought the ps4. I cant go out buying a new one next year. If I had known this I would have just waited till it came out and bought that. I've been a ps4 owner for abut 5 months and now a new one is coming out. Psssss.
Here I was already made my mind to buy the PRO next month while also saving up some money for it...

And this happens...

As One Punch man would say: KUSSO TARREEEEEE!

@Snaeper If PD gave a news, ppl will say it's fake we haven't seen it. If PD hasn't gave a news, ppl protest where are they going this time. OK PD's always wrong. Sony should just close them back in the past.

The point is that PD have promised and sold ideas that they either couldn't execute on or had to rescind later as development changes and advancements in tech rendered their plotting and planning moot.

Guessing, expecting, hoping are futile endeavors. Disappointment is the only reward for those endeavors. I expected nothing from GT Sport and its been one of the most enjoyable GT's I've enjoyed in awhile.

Explains why Sport is so half-assed. At least PD is getting a jump on the next generation.

When GT5 was out...

People said that when GT6 was being made.

Then people said that when GT Sport was being made.

Now people are hoping for the "big fix" in GT7.

Won't happen. GT7 will be nothing short of a frustrating mess, released at least 2 years too early.

The point is that PD have promised and sold ideas that they either couldn't execute on or had to rescind later as development changes and advancements in tech rendered their plotting and planning moot.

Guessing, expecting, hoping are futile endeavors. Disappointment is the only reward for those endeavors. I expected nothing from GT Sport and its been one of the most enjoyable GT's I've enjoyed in awhile.
I expect nothing because of PD's stunning lack of manpower.

Given that one of the single most important metrics for any console developer is 'attach rate', people buying a console for a single title is one of the last things they would want.

Plenty of titles exist that have both a much higher potential audience and are not normally 'solus' purchases that would far better suited for Sony's purposes.
GT does still remain one of PlayStation’s tentpole franchises, a system seller, and a tech showcase. To the point Sony/PD have demo’d both ray-tracing and 8K (upscaling) in recent months. Both key PS5 features. Not to mention the marketing need to challenge one of MS’s key franchises, Forza.

Over and above all that, PD are one of only a handful of 1st party studios, who’s dev timeline falls in line with the PS5 launch window. To be fair, that was the case last gen. But for various reasons GT6 released on PS3 within a month of PS4’s launch.

TLOU2, DS & GOT are all being prepped for cross-gen releases. This illustrates how many studios are tied up with imminent projects or early in the development process. It also indicates both how similar PS5 architecture will be to PS4. And how Sony believes such cross-gen titles can still wow with the extra bells & whistles the new hardware will provide.

GT does still remain one of PlayStation’s tentpole franchises, a system seller, and a tech showcase. To the point Sony/PD have demo’d both ray-tracing and 8K (upscaling) in recent months. Both key PS5 features. Not to mention the marketing need to challenge one of MS’s key franchises, Forza.

There's a difference between showcasing, and us poor buggers sitting for hours playing the game hoping everything will be fixed soon or in the next game.

It makes me think we won't see classic GT tracks in GTSport. Just imagine a reveal trailer with Grand Valley, Deep Forest and Trial Mountain. Maybe they will bring one or two tracks in GTsport but I have a feeling that GT7 will be very nostalgic in terms of tracks.
Deep Forest is known for being too complicated on the current hardware, I guess they can't model these lovely tree tunnels on PS4.

I disagree. If I am looking to put a new console under the tree at Christmas, having blockbuster exclusives is still going to be a factor. Either way, it's conjecture on my part. The folks that make these choices have very valid reasons that may or may not jive with our thoughts on the matter.

Still, my original point was that there was undue skepticism about the next GT iteration being released at launch of the PS5 whereas, based on the time frame of earlier iteration of the game and console, this might be a a synergistic event.

Whatever the reasons, it's still very plausible.

Let's just wait and see if it will really come out next year. However, usually there's the prologue version of the game too before the whole game comes out.

I don't think Gran turismo primary focus is about modern up to date or popular cars. GT3 for example is full of obscure and outdated models with some new and modern cars added into the mix.

When I think about Gran Turismo this picture comes to my mind. I'm not saying they shouldnt add up to date cars but if people really wants PD to go back to their roots then they should let them focus on those normal everyday car that most people haven't heard before.
I'm not sure if you and I played the same GT3.

In GT3 there were only a count 'em 3 models pre-1990. Two being from 1966 and one from 1969. For a game released in 2001 there were count 'em 74 cars post-1999 on the roster. How is that not being focused on then-modern cars?

Last edited:

But don’t you want to see your Daihatsu Midget in full premium?

Btw, Gran Turismo 7 Prologue

Whenever the discussion around GT and Playstation comes up you always have to remember than GT and Playstation are essentially one in the same. Gran Turismo is to Playstation as Mario is to Nintendo. If there is new tech coming from the Playstation hardware team, PD will get it first. So, it is 100% feasible that Sony is making the call to push the next GT to be a launch title.

Remember that PS3 was a flop on release. It had it's butt handed to it by the xbox360. Sony did a good job of regaining popularity with PS4 and they likely want to ensure PS5 is not dead on arrival. Given that many people but Playstations solely because of GT, it makes sense to TRY and release them together.

It may not happen. This stuff actually IS akin to rocket science, but there is a lot of money on the line for Sony so I'm sure they will throw quite a lot of resources at it.
Yes, Sony really want to put Gran Turismo at the centre of it's portfolio... The game is such an important asset.

It seems very feasible to me that Polyphony Digital could release a Gran Turismo product very early on in the PlayStation 5's life-cycle, or even at launch.

GT Sport already has a very advanced and solid technical basis that could be used for the PS5 version. Some features like weather effects are missing in GT Sport, but PD already worked on these but didn't deliver them due to PS4's hardware limitations. VR is also already implemented (in a basic version). So PD probably won't need to significantly re-engineer their graphics/physics/sound engine for PS5; they only may want to make some improvements here and there. The only features that I imagine would require years of work is dynamic lighting and weather effects, but I doubt we'll get that.

I think he's saying cars like the NIssan Stagea, Nissan Micra, Toyota Carina awd, Ford Puma, kei cars, etc. There are many cars in past GTs, even as car enthusiasts, we learned existed due to GT.

I remember Spoon didn't click until I got GT. There was a tuner shop in Queens, NY I would go to(back in around '94/'95), to check out the latest wheels. I used to see Spoon stickers at the shop, but didn't know who or what it was.

I think he's saying cars like the NIssan Stagea, Nissan Micra, Toyota Carina awd, Ford Puma, kei cars, etc. There are many cars in past GTs, even as car enthusiasts, we learned existed due to GT.

I remember Spoon didn't click until I got GT. There was a tuner shop in Queens, NY I would go to(back in around '94/'95), to check out the latest wheels. I used to see Spoon stickers at the shop, but didn't know who or what it was.
If open world is implemented, those car can serve as the traffics.

Back