Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

If no additional tech was coming I would be inclined to agree with you, but knowing PD and the introduction of Ray-Tracing it would be a brave person to rule out them wanting t suddenly re-model and skin everything to 'make the most of it'.

Nor beyond a short tech demo do we know how well PD is getting on with ray tracing, and I'm not going to assume a launch day release based on an unconfirmed rumour and a tech demo.

The ray tracing is going to be the most likely suspect if there is a delay. Nvidia's ray tracing demos may provide clues as to what is entailed. Especially the Quake 2 demo. If ray tracing can be applied without much (or any) change to existing materials, then it's going to be less impactful on the development time.

That 8K demo didn't look like it had any new lighting in it. I can't imagine that they would release without that given how visually impressive these ray tracing demos have been (by that I mean the various ones floating around)

It's raining cats and dogs here today and, coincidentally, I was thinking about ray tracing effects and how closely tied weather effects need to be now. This may be the real reason behind having next to no rain in GTS. That's something that, I imagine, would need a complete overhaul with real time ray tracing in place.

If ray tracing can be applied without much (or any) change to existing materials, then it's going to be less impactful on the development time.

Ray tracing is an algorithm that uses vectors to calculate how light rays travel, reflect and refract through objects and space. You don't need to change materials. All you need to do is assign each object some light properties.

Ferrari got 235 in 975 races, Mercedes 90 in 192. Let's just say that Mercedes ratio it's just slighlty bigger of Ferraris :D

The vast majority of those 90 victories are from 2014-2016 in effectively the same chassis. That’s what happens when you have the OP car. Red Bull had an insane ratio circa 2013. This is the formula for F1 going back decades. Rules change, someone else dominates.

However, these days the numbers of circa 7 million doesn't make it a blockbuster.

Yes it does. 7 million is still higher than the majority of AAA games.

The likes of FIFA, COD, GTA, Red Dead Redemption 2

Naming the handful of biggest games doesn't change the fact that GT sells like a blockbuster. There's more to AAA than COD, FIFA and GTA :lol:

and the truly big third parties are the ones that are the real blockbusters.

Spoken like someone who has no clue on the gaming industry. Spiderman sold 9 million in 2 months. Super Smash bros sold 12 million in just over a month. Pokemon and TLoU 2 will do massive amounts as well.

No, the point is that it 'may' be quicker and easier than prior gens.

Not at all. No one needs first hand experience to know similar architecture makes it easier. It's a basic computing principle.

Given that many of those players have never done that (quite literally we have had members here who buy a console for one title and that's it, you are once again utterly missing the point.

Those people are in the vast minority. The average PS4 user has 10 games.

I would not be disapointed if we just get 500-600 cars at launch for gt7. If we get every car with the quality gts have it will be great. But they need to bring back the fan favorite features like
Perfomence upgrades
Gt auto
Better offline career.

I Belive gts is a build platform to build up the cars. Gt7 will most likely go back to its roots

I would not be disapointed if we just get 500-600 cars at launch for gt7. If we get every car with the quality gts have it will be great. But they need to bring back the fan favorite features like
Perfomence upgrades
Gt auto
Better offline career.

I Belive gts is a build platform to build up the cars. Gt7 will most likely go back to its roots
I have to remind you....GT may be known for its huge car list, but actually, only sequel GTs at 1 console have huge car list (500+). GT1, GT3, and GT5 (for Premiums) are like GT Sport, only having 160-200 cars.

And GT7 is like GT1/GT3/GT5/GTS, the 1st GT on console so... (assuming PD scales the cars even further on new console as they're perfectionists)

Those people are in the vast minority. The average PS4 user has 10 games.

The question is though how many of those 10 games are PS4 exclusives that would require the gamer to have to own a playstation to play the other 9 games besides GTS?

I can easily agree about the 10 games as I looked and I own 11 games for the PS4.

But the only one of those 11 I own that is a Playstation exclusive is GTS.

Does it continue to be worth a higher and higher price of admission to invest in a new platform that the actual platform is only really required to play one game that actually has rivals in the same genre that are in many facets a better more realistic game?

I do realize there are other exclusive PS games but the majority of AAA blockbuster games are multi platform.

So in some instances actually owning the PS platform is required for a person to play just one game.

Yes it does. 7 million is still higher than the majority of AAA games.
AAA doesn't mean blockbuster, which is quite literal the point I made.

GTS doesn't sell like the highest selling releases, the blockbusters.

Naming the handful of biggest games doesn't change the fact that GT sells like a blockbuster. There's more to AAA than COD, FIFA and GTA :lol:
Yes it does, that's exactly what it means.

Seriously someone would have to be utterly dense to not realise that if GT doesn't sell like the highest selling titles (the actual blockbusters), then its not selling like a blockbuster.

Not to mention that you missed that I have already stated that AAA tutje doesn't automatically equate to high sales or being a blockbuster.

Spoken like someone who has no clue on the gaming industry. Spiderman sold 9 million in 2 months. Super Smash bros sold 12 million in just over a month. Pokemon and TLoU 2 will do massive amounts as well.
So significantly less than either GTA V or COD then, thanks fir illustrating my point perfectly.

Not at all. No one needs first hand experience to know similar architecture makes it easier. It's a basic computing principle.
I've quite literally just given you a real example of why that's not always true, how on earth did you manage to miss it?

Those people are in the vast minority.
I know, hence the reason why they are not people to target with a launch. Seriously you are now attempting to argue against me with the exact point I was making. What on earth is wrong with you?

The average PS4 user has 10 games.
And they are not the people being discussed, stop moving the goalposts again.

Last edited:
I have to remind you....GT may be known for its huge car list, but actually, only sequel GTs at 1 console have huge car list (500+). GT1, GT3, and GT5 (for Premiums) are like GT Sport, only having 160-200 cars.

And GT7 is like GT1/GT3/GT5/GTS, the 1st GT on console so... (assuming PD scales the cars even further on new console as they're perfectionists)
The cars most likely won't need Much remodel for ps5 PD already mention that they was made for the feature

Ray tracing is an algorithm that uses vectors to calculate how light rays travel, reflect and refract through objects and space. You don't need to change materials. All you need to do is assign each object some light properties.

Your statement essentially reiterates mine. I don't know exactly how they've approached shading of the current in game objects, but they likely used a standard pixel shading approaching (layers of materials and pixel shaders)

If they can run each in game object through a tool that interprets it's current material and shader data and then automatically updates it for ray tracing, that would be a quicker process than having a person open each model up and "assign each object some light properties"

Your statement essentially reiterates mine. I don't know exactly how they've approached shading of the current in game objects, but they likely used a standard pixel shading approaching (layers of materials and pixel shaders)

If they can run each in game object through a tool that interprets it's current material and shader data and then automatically updates it for ray tracing, that would be a quicker process than having a person open each model up and "assign each object some light properties"
Very true, but it works on two assumptions.

The first is that the surface material properties are up to snuff, GT would certainly qualify in my book.

The second is that Kaz thinks they are up to snuff, and that I'm less certain about, particularly given the number of times 'next gen ready models' have ended up being reworked.

However that aside getting ray tracing working us theoreticaly straightforward, however balancing its heavy process demands in the active workstream isn't.

Alternate headline: Launch of PlayStation 5 delayed to 2022
cryingwhilelaughing_anim.gif

If anyone remembers Kaz saying GTsport was almost going to be GT7 but he could call it that because it didn’t fit in to the traditional formula that makes each GT series. At one point in development GTsport was actually suppose be a spin-off and fit into the prologue area but as development changed it ended up becoming a game and a test which work and failed at the same time. GT 7 in development but after seeing the popularity of online in previous installments. Kaz thought this was the future of racing. Not quite. GTsport as much as it a game has also been a huge beta for GTsport. The cars in the game have been under spec and if you rekey why real-time weather was removed was so that there wouldn’t be a frame issue. Kaz has been secretly working on GT7 and misleading of course to surprise as launch title . It took 3 years to develop GTsport. Remember how long it took GT 5 to come out (years). GT7 (over 6 ). 2020 was the time a actually Grabturismo game would come out so everyone was right jokingly.

PD had to released a GT game on the PS4 even if it wasn’t done. The foundation is there so development is much faster. PD has been secretly scouting cars for GT7. There was an article posted on gtplanet about that. One of the goals is to have as much cars in the next Game a follow tradition. Pay attention to the update in physics because were the test subject.

I’m guessing about 750 cars in game at launch.

The have most tracks ready but there working out the legal parts.

The game so far can run at 8k 120fps. There still improving.

Last edited by a moderator:
2020 seems like a placeholder expected by Sony, with 3 years development. How can you forget the classic controversial delays?

GT Sport took 4 years and just had 16 tracks and around 150+ cars.

If assets are being used and built through, could form 400-500 cars now that there's Outsourcing.

However, not all cars in GT Sport have, "8k details", some models look incorrect to real life and some ported right off GT6 which may require extra work.

And then you have circuits which could be used since the textures are pretty high but surroundings, trees and foliage are much dense with details, alot of 3D trees.

Also it may depend of Forza releases with the Next Xbox PD might take a while to observe it and create something better.

I don't care about ray tracing.

i care full damage both mechanical and cosmeti
i care day n night transition and dynamic weather changes
i care repair and custom shop
i care shuffle races in online

These are not the first time coming to series. They were in past GTs.
I think Kazunor more care about GT game instead of tournaments.

I don't care about ray tracing.

i care full damage both mechanical and cosmeti
i care day n night transition and dynamic weather changes
i care repair and custom shop
i care shuffle races in online

These are not the first time coming to series. They were in past GTs.
I think Kazunor more care about GT game instead of tournaments.
For full damage both mechanical and cosmetic too? Only rally cars in GT5 got this.

I think "GT7" on the PS5 will be GT Sport Spec 2.0.

All the existing cars and tracks + more new tracks and cars. You can carry over your garage and your GT Sport stats will be preserved. It'll be like FIFA games with the whole futbol trading card thing - you can carry progress over into the new game when it's released every season.

As Kaz has said, the model seems to be more gradual and subscription based over a period of a few years - rather than producing the entirety of a game and releasing it as was the case 10-15 years ago.

I think "GT7" on the PS5 will be GT Sport Spec 2.0.

All the existing cars and tracks + more new tracks and cars. You can carry over your garage and your GT Sport stats will be preserved. It'll be like FIFA games with the whole futbol trading card thing - you can carry progress over into the new game when it's released every season.

As Kaz has said, the model seems to be more gradual and subscription based over a period of a few years - rather than producing the entirety of a game and releasing it as was the case 10-15 years ago.

I think that this may very well be a trend that gaming is going to, not just a subscription to be able to play but more of and expanding of prior releases. I do believe this may possibly be what ACC is doing with the new Competizione game based on just the GT Blancpain series.

Customers may be hesitant to spend a lot on DLC content for an existing game but you come out with a new installment of said game that will interact with the contents of the prior game like dlc and offer completely new racing series of cars and the circuits those cars compete on then the studio can basically get a full game price by releasing additional content while still reusing the resources from a prior release.

Say ACC for instance if they released a British touring car series, an Australian super car series, an American IMSA series they are possibly sitting on 3 more game releases taking advantage of all the code work from the new Blancpain release.

Not saying this is what is going to happen but from a business model and a studio looking to maximize generating cash flow this could well be a model that would benefit the studios.

We have heard that before... PD like to make those sort of claims, and then the next title gets pushed back years as they insist on redoing everything all over again anyway.
This time we have to Belive them. Kaz even said that the cars can run with ps5 in gt sport with 8k quality

I'm not sure I've seen anyone mention this, but isn't ray tracing also applicable in audio?

Yep. Mark Cerny mentioned it in his interview with Wired. He made it sound like one of the main improvements for the PS5 in fact.

Latest Posts

Back