Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

AAA doesn't mean blockbuster, which is quite literal the point I made.
GTS doesn't sell like the highest selling releases
Yes it does, that's exactly what it means.

Your arbitrary definitions mean nothing.

A blockbuster is something of great success and there are many AAA games that are blockbusters that aren't GTA, COD or FIFA :lol:

I've quite literally just given you a real example of why that's not always true, how on earth did you manage to miss it?

A lie.

The point: similar architectures are easier to work between that ones are that are very different.

I know, hence the reason why they are not people to target with a launch. Seriously you are now attempting to argue against me with the exact point I was making. What on earth is wrong with you?

Wrong. You're losing track of the conversation.

People that buy just one game for a system are in the minority. System sellers usually bring users into the platform who then buy more games.

GT is a system seller.

Your statement essentially reiterates mine. I don't know exactly how they've approached shading of the current in game objects, but they likely used a standard pixel shading approaching (layers of materials and pixel shaders)

If they can run each in game object through a tool that interprets it's current material and shader data and then automatically updates it for ray tracing, that would be a quicker process than having a person open each model up and "assign each object some light properties"

I'm sure they have already implemented classes and such for the objects. Wouldn't be hard to assign objects into groups from there depending on material and such.

Coming from the guy who was insisting that most game publishers wouldn't have migrated to CDs at all if the original Playstation didn't exist, this is a wicked sick burn.

Coming from the guy whose posts had zero basis in reality via data, and then when presented with data had no reply this is expected.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone mention this, but isn't ray tracing also applicable in audio?

Yes but unlike light ray tracing sound ray tracing is not physically accurate. Sound is a pressure wave and cannot be modeled accurately as a particle. It could still be great for video games though.

Last edited by a moderator:
People that buy just one game for a system are in the minority. System sellers usually bring users into the platform who then buy more games.

GT is a system seller.

But as I pointed out earlier a system needs enough blockbuster type exclusive titles to warrant a gamer to choose one system over another. Years ago GT was the best racing sim available to play on a console system bar none.

Today that is not so as there are other racing sim titles that physics wise blow GT out of the water and those other titles unlike GT are available multi platform.

So as the pricing level of gaming consoles continue to rise gamers will be more hesitant or choosy in how they spend their funds.

Being racing games are a small fish in the gaming pond gt not being one of the top rated sims physics wise will not make it a system seller on its own merit.

GTS is one of the prettiest games, has a good livery editor and a good start on a great on line presence but they need to spend more time developing the driving, handling and ffb issues along with doing dynamic weather and day/night transitions rather than worry about the shadows and reflections of the light via ray tracing as their focus.

GTS in my opinion does not carry anywhere near the system selling clout or ability as it had even 10 years ago.

Your arbitrary definitions mean nothing.
But yours do? How cute.

A blockbuster is something of great success and there are many AAA games that are blockbusters that aren't GTA, COD or FIFA :lol:
Blockbuster and AAA are not the same things, stop attempting to conflate them.

Not all AAA titles are blockbusters and not all blockbusters are AAA titles.

It's really not complicated.

GT as a series right now is firmly a AAA title, but it's sales certainly don't make it a blockbuster title. It's very simple.

To disprove this please simply post sales data for GTS putting it in the top sales performance of all games.

I do hope you can back up that allegation with proof, I'm happy to supply any member of staff who wants it the evidence to support my example. Feel free to call my bluff on this one.

Let me know how LMS platforms interact in different ways with different SCORM standards, why the issues are inconsistent and don't match up with different authoring tools (SAP manager and iPro, Captivate and articulate.

After all you must know all of these inside out to do catagorically state I'm lying about it!

The point: similar architectures are easier to work between that ones are that are very different.
Can be, doesn't mean they actually are.

Nor does it change the fact that I didn't difinatively say it was or wasn't in either case, what I said is that no one outside of those with the dev kit, etc can say that for certainty.

I then used an example of why what may seem easy and straightforward doesn't always pan out that way.

I made no definitive statements, you did, and then to further re-enforce that you accursed me of lying in regard to my example.

Proof I'm lying or a retraction would be the next step from you.

Wrong. You're losing track of the conversation.
Not at all, and rather odd given that you were not even involved in the root of the conversation and jumped in half cocked and attempted to score points with a moot point.

Once again attempting to use the exact point I made against me, go back and re-read the entire conversation, not just the bit you jumped in on, and you will see that. However first of all drop the absurd issues you have with certain members (including myself) that are wildly biasing your view.

GT is a system seller.
Haven't said it wasn't, so feel free to quote me saying it isn't.

Coming from the guy whose posts had zero basis in reality via data, and then when presented with data had no reply this is expected.
Wasn't that another conversation you ran away from when you got corrected with actual facts about the true big 3rd party devs from that era of consoles and also the real split of 3rd party support based on actual data that clearly showed you were incorrect?

Last edited:
Why not bikes in GT7? IMO, from a marketing point of view 400 cars and 100 bikes is a better selling point than 500 cars.
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruit/jobs/974/
Development of a rag doll simulator

https://www.gtplanet.net/rumor-isle-of-man-tt-course-considered-for-gran-turismo-7/

"We also know Takamasa Shichisawa, the mastermind behind Tourist Trophy, returned to the company about four years ago after a brief stint with Studio Liverpool right before its closure. He now works at the GT Explore Studio."

Rene-Scaysbrook-at-Pikes-Peak.png

Why not bikes in GT7? IMO, from a marketing point of view 400 cars and 100 bikes is a better selling point than 500 cars.

https://www.gtplanet.net/rumor-isle-of-man-tt-course-considered-for-gran-turismo-7/

"We also know Takamasa Shichisawa, the mastermind behind Tourist Trophy, returned to the company about four years ago after a brief stint with Studio Liverpool right before its closure. He now works at the GT Explore Studio."

As much as I love mortorcycles, PD has enough problems already making a good physics/tire/FFB model for cars. I'd prefer them to improve on that than to invest time in a motorcycle add-on.

What they need for the next game is a load of tracks. GTS pales in comparison to PC2 for example.

Don't fret, I see your point.👍

No need for two discs. Plus, if it was split in game as TT Mode and GT Mode, that'd be fine. However, I do see in a Lobby, there is a function to turn karts off. Being able to have an OPTION to turn bikes on, would be cool.

The thing is, GT was never a bike simulator to begin with. I would prefer go-karts over the bikes, which the game already has, too.

GT is a system seller.
Most definitely, as I'm pretty sure several people here have purchased a PS4 because of GT Sport.

A rag doll simulator? Oh, I have a new tagline for the game! Gran Turismo: The Real Rag Doll Simulator:lol: But the fact that this is even a job position furthers the idea that GT7 may have bikes.

Bikes in a GT game is IMO a waste of time and resources. If people like bikes there are other gaming series for people to play.
Not a waste if it means more sales... I'm sure many are crying out for a decent bike game and if having them helps introduce more people to Gran Turismo, isn't that a benefit?

Most definitely, as I'm pretty sure several people here have purchased a PS4 because of GT Sport.

A rag doll simulator? Oh, I have a new tagline for the game! Gran Turismo: The Real Rag Doll Simulator:lol: But the fact that this is even a job position furthers the idea that GT7 may have bikes.

Not a waste if it means more sales... I'm sure many are crying out for a decent bike game and if having them helps introduce more people to Gran Turismo, isn't that a benefit?
Yep, I only bought a PS4 for GT Sport.

Then make PD continue Tourist Trophy instead.

Coming from the guy whose posts had zero basis in reality via data
You say this phrase a lot, and far be it from me to question you when you're such an expert on so many things, but I want to make sure we are clear here: Is this the same "reality" where third party developers threw their entire weight behind the Nintendo 64, where Forza 7 was riddled with microtransactions, where a game's number of connected accounts is the same as its sales numbers (except when it's not a GT game), where a game's servers being shut down after 5 and a half years means it is a miserable failure (except when it is a GT game), where Sony making nearly all of their money on the videogame industry means they don't have to worry about any competition in the videogame industry, where the SNES "dominated" hardware sales by 1994, where past success in the videogame industry is a guarantor of future success, and (again, because it truly takes the cake) where the only reason publishers widely started using CDs for videogames is because Sony made the Playstation? Because that's a pretty stupid reality, and I'm not terribly concerned with not being in tune with it.

This may also be a surprise to you, but I'm also not particularly bothered by you repeatedly referencing an argument that I publicly conceded. Not when you had so little clue about what I was even saying at the time that you later made the same argument in the same thread; and especially not when I've got all those examples above where you said something, were called it and then pretended you never said it.

Which is a point that no one has argued against at all.

The original conversation was that targeting people who only buy PlayStation to play GT titles (and nothing more) are a poor target audience for a console launch.

A rag doll simulator? Oh, I have a new tagline for the game! Gran Turismo: The Real Rag Doll Simulator:lol:
To be fair GTS does have pretty good rag doll movements for the drive when cornering, riding curbs, etc.

But the fact that this is even a job position furthers the idea that GT7 may have bikes.
Or that they need to replace the person who did the in-car ones or they are looking at TT2 at long last.

Not a waste if it means more sales... I'm sure many are crying out for a decent bike game
A good number of decent bike games already exist, one series with a content count that PD would struggle to match for a long while.

and if having them helps introduce more people to Gran Turismo, isn't that a benefit?
I don't see it the same way, it's akin to how many extra sales GT having rally brings in. I'm going to guess its not many, and if bikes ended up being treated the same way (minimal vehicles, minimal specifuc tracks, minimal events, almost zero use in sport mode) then its a waste of resource and would be better suited to a standalone title.

As much as I love mortorcycles, PD has enough problems already making a good physics/tire/FFB model for cars. I'd prefer them to improve on that than to invest time in a motorcycle add-on.

What they need for the next game is a load of tracks. GTS pales in comparison to PC2 for example.
I'm 99% sure there are two distinct teams for tracks and cars modeling. To this day, I still find Tourist Trophy the most enjoyable bike game in terms of feeling. And my last point: a huge part of the players simply don't care about FFB/physics/tire. As long as the handling is fun and with the perfect mix of arcade/sim ratio, I'm ok. (Drifting is awful in GTSport with a controller)
If someone wants to play the most realistic sim on console, there are already PC and AC.

I'm 99% sure there are two distinct teams for tracks and cars modeling. To this day, I still find Tourist Trophy the most enjoyable bike game in terms of feeling. And my last point: a huge part of the players simply don't care about FFB/physics/tire. As long as the handling is fun and with the perfect mix of arcade/sim ratio, I'm ok. (Drifting is awful in GTSport with a controller)
If someone wants to play the most realistic sim on console, there are already PC and AC.

Yep, they would be different teams. But at the pace that PD is releasing new tracks I'd rather they invest in a larger "track team" than in a brand new "bike team". The more they spread out, the worse IMO. We can see that by how much the single player suffered with the focus shifting to multiplayer and eSports. If you have a limited amount of money, the more you spread it out the less quality you'll get for each particular feature/mode.

If they somehow manage to do it (more tracks and a decent motorcycle mode), something else will be left behind or dropped.

Also, I prefer AC psysics and PC2's track list, but I can't enjoy the multiplayer the same way as in GTS. There aren't enough players, at least on console. There's way more people on GTS.

I think...only GTHD succeeded at being a launch title for a Playstation console despite it being attempted a few times. GT3 A-Spec was supposed to be a launch title for the PS2. It was called GT 2000 then, but...it missed the launch date and became GT3 A-Spec. GTHD was a REALLY watered down version of GT5 for PS3, so I don't know if that counts. Luckily, they didn't really even try with GT Sport and PS4. But...GT7 tagged with a VR thing next to it, so maybe JUST a VR demo of GT7 will launch with it. I can see that. But...yeah, I'm not gonna get my hopes up. It's been tried and it's NEVER really happened...unless you count GTHD...which I don't 'cause that was a demo.

I think...only GTHD succeeded at being a launch title for a Playstation console despite it being attempted a few times. GT3 A-Spec was supposed to be a launch title for the PS2. It was called GT 2000 then, but...it missed the launch date and became GT3 A-Spec. GTHD was a REALLY watered down version of GT5 for PS3, so I don't know if that counts. Luckily, they didn't really even try with GT Sport and PS4. But...GT7 tagged with a VR thing next to it, so maybe JUST a VR demo of GT7 will launch with it. I can see that. But...yeah, I'm not gonna get my hopes up. It's been tried and it's NEVER really happened...unless you count GTHD...which I don't 'cause that was a demo.
Being generous GT HD was at most a demo for a service based GT title that never arrived and eventually turned into GT5.

If the cars and tracks we have in GTS are next-gen ready, then I don't see why a GT7 couldn't be a launch or a year 1 title, it should have 30+ tracks and a solid 400 or so cars. That would be substantial enough, they just need to work on a meaty SP mode, expand the Sport mode and bring back some lost features from previous games. PS5 looks to be a more balanced system than any of the previous playstations, without obvious bottlenecks, although we don't know full specs yet. Might have to get a PS5 early if true, I've essentially skipped this generation, so it will be cool to come back to GT.

Just remembered, if the Honda S660 was done by an outside studio, if they or maybe another extra studio, are modelling cars as well, we could see a whole host of kei cars next game.

If GT7 arrives Christmas 2020, I wouldn't doubt 500 cars at release.

If the cars and tracks we have in GTS are next-gen ready, then I don't see why a GT7 couldn't be a launch or a year 1 title, it should have 30+ tracks and a solid 400 or so cars. That would be substantial enough, they just need to work on a meaty SP mode, expand the Sport mode and bring back some lost features from previous games. PS5 looks to be a more balanced system than any of the previous playstations, without obvious bottlenecks, although we don't know full specs yet. Might have to get a PS5 early if true, I've essentially skipped this generation, so it will be cool to come back to GT.
Poly said at SIGGRAPH Asia 2018, they can use ray tracing with the exact same 3D model from GTSport. Though, I'm more sceptic when it comes to tracks. Some look "average" and they need to add lot more track side objects, vegetation...

Poly said at SIGGRAPH Asia 2018, they can use ray tracing with the exact same 3D model from GTSport. Though, I'm more sceptic when it comes to tracks. Some look "average" and they need to add lot more track side objects, vegetation...
When it comes to tracks the most important aspect is the accuracy of the 3D modelling. Textures, trees, and other trackside objects, can all easily be upgraded. On PS4 they have to use plenty of tricks to keep the frame rate locked.

When it comes to tracks the most important aspect is the accuracy of the 3D modelling. Textures, trees, and other trackside objects, can all easily be upgraded. On PS4 they have to use plenty of tricks to keep the frame rate locked.
We'll see^^ We know for sure Poly is working on the next GT (the lack of new feature after many updates is the biggest clue).

We'll see^^ We know for sure Poly is working on the next GT (the lack of new feature after many updates is the biggest clue).
How did PD worked for next GT (on PS5) if the PS5 hasn't existed yet?

Last edited:
Simple idea for the launching of PS5, from day 1?
Make GTSport available in VR. All the game, even the online, part.
(To whom it may concern, perhaps Polyphony Digital?)

P.S. - I guess it would mean a (re)new life cycle for the game - it would make sense for broadening its support base, being VR a stated bet on the new system - and it would guarantee enough time for a proper development of a revamped GT7 (?).

Back