Gran Turismo 7 Will Be More Like Classic GT Titles, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

Change to stop focusing on the cars and put more towards actual RACING.

The physics, tire and aero models are in desperate need of overhauls. There's lots of series that need better representation and their licenses are effectively going to waste.

I'm all for realistic physics; the realler the better, but I happen to like the car focus. I like starting off small and racing and tuning my way up to bigger and better, and I don't want the thing to heap gift cars upon me because I blinked or met my daily fart quota.

If I want to indulge in fantasies of a racing career, I have AC and PC2 for that. Why should fans embrace a move towards a place already very well populated by almost every other sim?

Last edited:
If I want to indulge in fantasies of a racing career, I have AC and PC2 for that. Why should fans embrace a move towards a place already very well populated by almost every other sim?

That's my main issue....the game makers have aligned themselves with real race drivers, real race teams, real motorsports suppliers, manufacturer race cars, the controlling body of international motorsport plus they run continuous daily races along the lines of real racing, plus FIA championship races on a (biased) point structure that culminate in a regional winner. etc etc etc....and....they have had previous winners try out for race teams as a prize...and I know of quite a few players who actually do race and are using this game (and other platforms) to show an aptitude for real racing in the hope of being "noticed". Not only all that, they have promoted themselves as "the real race simulator". So they have already embraced a move towards that place populated by other sims and I thought it was the reason that people played this game but it isn't. Only a small percentage of players of GT participate in esports, by the look.

All the aspects of what YOU want are still there in the new championship mode in GT7 by the sound of it and they have made it look pretty. My issue is that they have failed miserably at regulating the racing, penalty system, race craft, points system, driver ratings and multiple accounts for online racing which I though GT sport was all about. Hence my disappointment and my start to look for another platform and better racing. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
XD Well, what can I say? The man has a melodic style that I love.
I love daiki's songs as well, it's like he was born to make great soundtracks for Gran Turismo. I really hope they keep Wicked; It's All About You; Looking for You and 5OUL ON D!SPLAY, but I also wish for them to add My Precious and EDGE OF THE WORLD.

That's my main issue....the game makers have aligned themselves with real race drivers, real race teams, real motorsports suppliers, manufacturer race cars, the controlling body of international motorsport plus they run continuous daily races along the lines of real racing, plus FIA championship races on a (biased) point structure that culminate in a regional winner. etc etc etc....and....they have had previous winners try out for race teams as a prize...and I know of quite a few players who actually do race and are using this game (and other platforms) to show an aptitude for real racing in the hope of being "noticed". Not only all that, they have promoted themselves as "the real race simulator". So they have already embraced a move towards that place populated by other sims and I thought it was the reason that people played this game but it isn't. Only a small percentage of players of GT participate in esports, by the look.

All the aspects of what YOU want are still there in the new championship mode in GT7 by the sound of it and they have made it look pretty. My issue is that they have failed miserably at regulating the racing, penalty system, race craft, points system, driver ratings and multiple accounts for online racing which I though GT sport was all about. Hence my disappointment and my start to look for another platform and better racing. Any suggestions?

Well GT technically bills itself as "The Real Driving Simulator", but putting aside my reflexive flippancy, I just don't bother much with online racing and I couldn't tell you how good a job the other sims do with all the shortcomings you have noted, and I would agree GTS certainly fell short in that regard.

As for whether GT7 will scratch my CarPG itch, we'll see. I am not that hard to please in that regard, I even thoroughly enjoyed GT5 and 6; an apparently controversial view. But I do take issue with the assertions made by others that GT's philosophy was in such disarray that it needed to fundamentally change, and those who disagree with its direction are simply stubborn.

From a desing-decision point, it is clear that a modern UI like GT6 with a big campaign mode as GT4's, many challenges and a big variety of cars and tracks with a physics model close to the GT6 but with a new tire model could become a great game indeed. PS5 will sell much more if GT7 succeeds in making a deserving successor to the older traditional games.

For anyone thinking I like GT6's physics model than GTSport's, I haven't played the latest one and wrote only for the previous games that I have extensively played since GT1.
Modern UI like GT6? Feels more generic (although these kinds of UI can look nice admittedly) with that UI, not as overt but still the Windows 8 style. Like GT's personal UI which is city map where GT7 has it, and would like the city map to be utilized more than just a background. To inform, GTS does have the best physics of the series. What GT consistently improved (probably except from GT3 to GT4 physics-wise) was graphics and physics.

Campaign as big as GT4 is a start, but should be more than that like Forza games such as Forza Motorsport 4. What Kaz said in the trailer was particularly refering to campaign as something that would make fans happy but....

Last edited:
Well GT technically bills itself as "The Real Driving Simulator", but putting aside my reflexive flippancy, I just don't bother much with online racing and I couldn't tell you how good a job the other sims do with all the shortcomings you have noted, and I would agree GTS certainly fell short in that regard.

As for whether GT7 will scratch my CarPG itch, we'll see. I am not that hard to please in that regard, I even thoroughly enjoyed GT5 and 6; an apparently controversial view. But I do take issue with the assertions made by others that GT's philosophy was in such disarray that it needed to fundamentally change, and those who disagree with its direction are simply stubborn.
yes you're right...it is the real driving simulator...thanks....i keeping forgetting because I actually call it the real penalty simulator

My dream is something like this.

Fully compatible with PSVR in all modes.

AI and physiscs of Assetto Corsa Competizione.

Carrer mode similar to F1 2020 my team or something with the same deepth.

Online mode similar to GT sport.

And economy that is not complete broken. Where the best payouts is for driving around in circles for 100's of hours, to buy the cars in the game. Please make a balanced economy where it takes effort to earn something, but it can be done in interesting events at a pace that is nor to easy or to hard for the average gamer.

Sadly I dont have high hopes, having being disapointed so many times.

If the AI is still crap, and the carrer is just a bunch of random races stringes together, then I dont think I will even boother to buy the game be honest.

Oh whyyyy?!? I feel like I am the only one who likes cape ring :(
They aren't eliminating cars and tracks that didn't appear in GT1-4, we already know several newer tracks are (Daytona for eample) so you might get Cape Ring. They're just confirming the style of the campaign mode is designed around those earlier titles.

I look forward about Gt7 capturing the "vibe" of GTs 1-4. I really like this focus. But as some pointed, the race itself must look like real race. Please, no more suicide divings to pass 10 cars in one lap, and then chasing the rabbit for another 4 laps...
Yeah, thats the WORST thing to do to a racing game.

Shocked at all the negative responses to GT Sport on here... And some of you have the cheek to slate it whilst saying you haven’t even tried racing online :banghead:.
Honestly guys, wtf?!?
Yes GT Sport was a bit different to the classic ‘model’, but it was still very much Gran Turismo. I can tell a lot of people commenting didn’t give this game more than a couple hours play time. One of my early criticisms of GT Sport was the fact u had to be connected to there server in order to have access to everything, now this may have been an issue for some back in 2017 but not today! Honestly if I was to load this game up without access to the server i wouldn’t recognise it, it’s evolved sooooo much. As for the online racing, admittedly I was a bit late to the party, I wanted to complete all the campaign driving missions, of which there are a ton, not to mention the extra stuff PD seemed to throw in every month, new cars, new tracks, new missions/cups etc.
Anyway, when I felt confident enough to go race online I cudnt believe what i had been missing, Yh there’s an official FIA thingy, and daily races etc but the gold for me was the race lobby’s. Maybe it’s just me but there’s nothing better then getting into your finely tuned motor and going on a cruise or roll up on ppl and try a bait a race, gotta watch out for the sleepers tho! I absolutely love the race lobby’s, jumping in, trying to dominate with top times or really clean slick driving, seeing other drivers livery creations, exchanging tune info etc. There is so much there, honestly everyone disappointed with GT Sport should go give it another PROPER LOOK! Also it would be an absolutely crime to not mention the engine and environment sounds :bowdown:. You can hear everything, literally. The monstrous raw power of the F40 engine or the Hi-tech air sucking sounds of the 300Z, it’s a symphonic masterpiece. PD can take all the time they want on GT7 cos Sport has plenty of life left. Oh Yh not to forget the VR experience which is amazing, yes it’s limited to time trial or 1v1 race but remember when this came out VR was a bit of a gimmick. If there’s one thing GT7 must must have, it’s VR- period. The option to play the whole game in VR would be the holy grail.

I totaly agree, All the perks you mentioned was exaclty what kept me enthusiastic about GTS. I have the upmost respect and admiration for what GTS has done for the series, I cannot ignore the much needed changes it brought. I always knew GTS was not going to be a traditional GT game and I honestly accepted that. In itself GT 'sport' game title was a big give away. I think I learned from expecting too much since GT6(not a complete failure of course game just a huge disappointment for a GT game carrying the title series iteration). Though one major thing GT6 did do for me, was wet my appetite for online racing. I was late to the online party in GT6, it was only at the end of it's life span with the weekly races did I discover a new passion.
A.I. was never going to improve fast enough for me to get the racing experience I desired and neither was the race format that GT6 carried over from GT5, but some how made it worse. So, in that regard I found GTS quite refreshing. Indeed 'sport' is exaclty what I desired.

The class system, yes it's not perfect, but god damn it's finally here. I'm just glad its a thing now. It's PD showing it's support once again for the motor racing scene, and paying respect to an important aspect of how the sport works and is categorized. Which also I hope means complete representation for respective disciplines. I only hope it's here to stay and improve on its accuracy. Thank you GTS for being the much needed guinea pig in this regard!:bowdown:

My real gripe has been the dumb down approach to the tuning feature. Also the elephant in the room, which you mentioned, online connectivity being madatory even just to access offline content, was an awful ploy (PD backing up Sony's PS plus membership arrangements there):rolleyes: But I can forgive.

Truth is, I don't do much racing online anymore. The game has reached its peak and since there wont be any updates to mission challenges etc, I don't feel like I can experience anything I have not already. That's not to say I've reached my peak and cannot improve anymore. Hell no! I can definitely do with improving. However having fun has always been my main motivation, and the fun I had has dwindled some what as the game becomes a bit stale. But that is natural.

Now? I do exactly what I do at the end of every GT game lifespan, time trials-and because it's a valid option- online road car track days with the occasional livery editing. I pretty much continue to ignore the after thought of a career mode we eventualy got in GTS, and is one more reasom why I can't just accept PD to just slap on the 'traditional GT game' ploy in the new title and think everything will be okay, Career mode needs a major improvement. I cannot think of anything more mundane to do than GTS career mode:crazy:.

GTS set out to achieve a specific goal and in my eyes and succeeded, while throwing in some quality improvements to the series. (classifications, exhaust/engine sounds etc). Optimistic about PD improving on them in the future. I am mentally and physicaly prepared for a seamless collaboration of both equally improved online and offline content that is hopefully featured in GT7.👍

1 and 4 are my favorites in the series. 1 as it seemed revolutionary for a console racing game at the time. 4 because it had so much depth and variety. Encouraged that both have been specifically referenced by the producer with regard to 7.

Last edited:
They aren't eliminating cars and tracks that didn't appear in GT1-4, we already know several newer tracks are (Daytona for eample) so you might get Cape Ring. They're just confirming the style of the campaign mode is designed around those earlier titles.
Yes, I know that but I said that because I have seen many people saying they hate cape ring

Oh whyyyy?!? I feel like I am the only one who likes cape ring :(

I like Cape Ring - except for that jump - but I don't think this track has become a Classic within the series.
It would be a disappointment to see this track returning in place of an El Capitan or Citta Di Aria, Hong Kong, New York, etc...

But if all the Classic tracks we love are in GT7, I won't be bothered by the presence of Cape Ring - but updated... without the jump... :D:tup:

Last edited:
I'd take Cape Ring again, I just hope they give it more 'atmosphere', and either flatten the jump a bit, or have a damage model that penalises just launching off it.

Anyway, right now, I just want a confirmed release date.

I like Cape Ring but only the inside ring and Ring North. I never liked the Last section of the whole track
latest

Last edited:
Shocked at all the negative responses to GT Sport on here... And some of you have the cheek to slate it whilst saying you haven’t even tried racing online :banghead:.
Honestly guys, wtf?!?
Yes GT Sport was a bit different to the classic ‘model’, but it was still very much Gran Turismo. I can tell a lot of people commenting didn’t give this game more than a couple hours play time. One of my early criticisms of GT Sport was the fact u had to be connected to there server in order to have access to everything, now this may have been an issue for some back in 2017 but not today! Honestly if I was to load this game up without access to the server i wouldn’t recognise it, it’s evolved sooooo much. As for the online racing, admittedly I was a bit late to the party, I wanted to complete all the campaign driving missions, of which there are a ton, not to mention the extra stuff PD seemed to throw in every month, new cars, new tracks, new missions/cups etc.
Anyway, when I felt confident enough to go race online I cudnt believe what i had been missing, Yh there’s an official FIA thingy, and daily races etc but the gold for me was the race lobby’s. Maybe it’s just me but there’s nothing better then getting into your finely tuned motor and going on a cruise or roll up on ppl and try a bait a race, gotta watch out for the sleepers tho! I absolutely love the race lobby’s, jumping in, trying to dominate with top times or really clean slick driving, seeing other drivers livery creations, exchanging tune info etc. There is so much there, honestly everyone disappointed with GT Sport should go give it another PROPER LOOK! Also it would be an absolutely crime to not mention the engine and environment sounds :bowdown:. You can hear everything, literally. The monstrous raw power of the F40 engine or the Hi-tech air sucking sounds of the 300Z, it’s a symphonic masterpiece. PD can take all the time they want on GT7 cos Sport has plenty of life left. Oh Yh not to forget the VR experience which is amazing, yes it’s limited to time trial or 1v1 race but remember when this came out VR was a bit of a gimmick. If there’s one thing GT7 must must have, it’s VR- period. The option to play the whole game in VR would be the holy grail.

I'm happy you enjoy GT Sport, I do too... But, I plead for you to go find a cheap PS2 and give Gran Turismo 4 a try/another try. You owe it to yourself. Only then will you realize how bare bones content is in Gran Turismo Sport. Sport isn't just 'different' compared to the previous games. It's less. Yes the game is pretty, and yes the physics are the best among sim-cade racers... but that means nothing if the game is as deep as a puddle.
This is the part where I would tell you to give Gran Turimo 5 a try to experience a better open lobby experience, but the servers were shut down so you can't.

And if you think I haven't given GT Sport enough of a chance, I invite you to take a look at my GT Sport profile to judge for yourself. - https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/8012890/overview

either flatten the jump a bit, or have a damage model that penalises just launching off it.

Why though? That was the most fun part of the track lol.

Last edited:

If you want more realism, more engaging races, and more "true" to life races compared to GT series or Forza. There are several sims to choose from. Project Cars, Asseta Corsa etc. They are not plug n play like GT and Forza, you have to spend the time to learn the tracks, the cars etc. Best with a wheel, but fun can be had with a controller. Even far better with a PC. I wish that someone would make a game that could pretty much have it all...ya know good physics, good sound, great career mode etc. Not to be, not yet anyways. I currently have chosen sim route for me. I have always been a GT guy, but eventually ya have ask yourself is this the best experience for you compared to what's out there. I do think GT graphics will probably always be top notch and generally enjoy the car models. Photo mode is very entertaining. Really though the GT series has not evolved, it is essentially the same as always. Sounds, physics, and general game play are weak compared to what you can find elsewhere. There several to choose from with tons of you tube videos and forums you can check out. What is sad though is the GT series, even GTS could be so much more with what they already have. The freaking joke of a car prize wheel, come on. The freaking chase for those $20 million dollar cars....so much out there....not worth my time.

Hopefully they will bring back some of the glory with GT7. I know that had lots and lots of great days with GT2 thru GT6.

If ya want racing.....there is much more to life....

I'm happy you enjoy GT Sport, I do too... But, I plead for you to go find a cheap PS2 and give Gran Turismo 4 a try/another try. You owe it to yourself. Only then will you realize how bare bones content is in Gran Turismo Sport. Sport isn't just 'different' compared to the previous games. It's less. Yes the game is pretty, and yes the physics are the best among sim-cade racers... but that means nothing if the game is as deep as a puddle.
This is the part where I would tell you to give Gran Turimo 5 a try to experience a better open lobby experience, but the servers were shut down so you can't.

As an avid fan of the series I've been fortunate enough to own all the Gran Turismo games in the series.
I did however struggle to remember in great detail what Gran Turismo 4 was like, so instead of digging up the PS2 I did the next best thing and watched a few videos & reviews.

I think over-all the game still looks really impressive considering its running on a PS2, and I think one reviewer stated there were approx 700 cars & 50 tracks, which again was super impressive for the time.

However looking back at GT4 its seems that it was a game based more on everyday commercial cars as opposed to sport & race cars.

Over-all the 'GT4' package was very nice and tidy (especially for the time), however I'm struggling to accept your comparison and 'bare bones' criticism of GT Sport.

I hope i don't hurt anyone's feelings here but lets remember that GT4 is over 16 years old... And aside from the following:
- Coffee breaks and somewhat excessive licence tests
- A used car dealership
- A very simple picture assisted car upgrading system
There is not much else missing from GT Sport. I'm fully aware there is no 'GT Mode', but this really just feels like a label accompanied by a map menu that's quite nice to look at.

I think a lot of people have forgotten that 16 years ago, you only had a total of 6 cars competing on the track. There were no cockpit/interior view options. No damage whatsoever to the vehicles visually or mechanically (which was becoming common for racing games back in 2004). No decal editor, no online, no rain and little to none in terms of Gr.1-4 & super car manufacturers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche etc.

Even though i don't think its fair to compare the games, Gran Turismo has moved forward majorly since GT4. Not only with whats been mentioned above but with huge advancements in graphics & sound, game mechanics, a VR mode, and dare i say it... AI.

Don't get me wrong, i did love the journey of going from a used, dodgy colored Silvia all the way up to a GT40. But for the past 3 years now I've been spoiled rotten with driving some of the most advanced, perfected & fastest cars in the world at 60fps. Occasionally i will jump into a Miata or MK1 Golf but the speed and thrill factor just cant compare with the majority of other cars available in the game.

I'm all for a throwback to the classic days of GT (or rather GT Mode) but as the series has advanced, so have I. And looking back at the car lineups from the past i much prefer the super cars we have today.

As an avid fan of the series I've been fortunate enough to own all the Gran Turismo games in the series.
I did however struggle to remember in great detail what Gran Turismo 4 was like, so instead of digging up the PS2 I did the next best thing and watched a few videos & reviews.

I think over-all the game still looks really impressive considering its running on a PS2, and I think one reviewer stated there were approx 700 cars & 50 tracks, which again was super impressive for the time.

However looking back at GT4 its seems that it was a game based more on everyday commercial cars as opposed to sport & race cars.

Over-all the 'GT4' package was very nice and tidy (especially for the time), however I'm struggling to accept your comparison and 'bare bones' criticism of GT Sport.

I hope i don't hurt anyone's feelings here but lets remember that GT4 is over 16 years old... And aside from the following:
- A used car dealership
There is not much else missing from GT Sport. I'm fully aware there is no 'GT Mode', but this really just feels like a label accompanied by a map menu that's quite nice to look at.

I think a lot of people have forgotten that 16 years ago, you only had a total of 6 cars competing on the track. There were no cockpit/interior view options. No damage whatsoever to the vehicles visually or mechanically (which was becoming common for racing games back in 2004). No decal editor, no online, no rain and little to none in terms of Gr.1-4 & super car manufacturers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche etc.

Even though i don't think its fair to compare the games, Gran Turismo has moved forward majorly since GT4. Not only with whats been mentioned above but with huge advancements in graphics & sound, game mechanics, a VR mode, and dare i say it... AI.

Don't get me wrong, i did love the journey of going from a used, dodgy colored Silvia all the way up to a GT40. But for the past 3 years now I've been spoiled rotten with driving some of the most advanced, perfected & fastest cars in the world at 60fps. Occasionally i will jump into a Miata or MK1 Golf but the speed and thrill factor just cant compare with the majority of other cars available in the game.

I'm all for a throwback to the classic days of GT (or rather GT Mode) but as the series has advanced, so have I. And looking back at the car lineups from the past i much prefer the super cars we have today.
And that is great for you. :) GT7 should have all of GT Sport incorporated into it, but slightly better looking, maybe a faster frame rate, and other tweaks here and there. For others who don't want that, or want that plus a lot of what has been in GT games before, maybe with some things new and improved things from the past, GT7 should satisfy most people at either end of the spectrum, and all those in between, and isn't that the point of a game! ;) :)

They have the power now to overcome things that may have been limited for the time of previous releases, though it has to be acknowledged that GT games were always pushing the tech of the time, like the 6 car races, so for whatever has gone before, be that the online racing or whatever, there should be a little, to a lot of improvement. Fingers crossed.

They have the power now to overcome things that may have been limited for the time of previous releases, though it has to be acknowledged that GT games were always pushing the tech of the time, like the 6 car races, so for whatever has gone before, be that the online racing or whatever, there should be a little, to a lot of improvement. Fingers crossed.

This is why i hope GT7 is PS5 only title. Just to push this console to its limits. Ray tracing, dynamic time of day and weather all in 60 FPS and (lets hope) a lot of cars on track.

GT5 and GT6 were pretty forgettable for me. I recently booted them back up to remind myself of them, they were ok as a whole.
Hated PS3 era new tracks though. Cape ring sting and Matterhorn can do one, plus London, Madrid and Rome..Madrid was ok but Rome PS3, really? Bring back GT2 Rome and Rome night.
The GT4s new tracks were far superior IMO so would like to see them back.
Saying that I hated GT sport when it came out. No cars older than 2009 and mostly race cars/supercars and no GT mode.
Thankfully it's turned into a superb game but I don't use sport mode as much as I should.

Let's just hope when GT mode returns we don't get forced to start with a Honda Jazz.
I'd like to choose my own 90s JDM shizzbox and keep it as a forever car.

Last edited:

- A used car dealership

Yeah but GT is always about everyday commercial cars, that's the appeal for the first game, letting you drive those kind of cars in video game, particularly for those who owns that car. The sport, supercars, racecars, anything top of the line is already common in any other racing games. Of course GT should cater for both to make it an "encyclopedia", but still don't diss the everyday commercial cars just because it's not your preference. And like, competitive racings can be done in cars of any level, and it can be part of the fun for people to race these lower-end daily drivers.

And you also forgot that manufacturers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche are held up by EA's deals. I mean of course in the past there are less like only 6 cars, no interior view, but people want the best parts in GT4 like the its features, the amount of content primarily like variation and big number of events, abundant variety of cars and tracks of the same quality, garage car access in Arcade, etc. not turning everything else like GT4 (some went overboard for this but it's more like about menus, etc.). And obviously for graphics, game mechanics part, GT is going to inevitably improve in that area. I mean people want to keep that part but also reignite the older game's biggest strengths.

Last edited:
Back