Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
neema_t
Free roam I'm not bothered about, but as others have said I'd love some point-to-point tracks (I can't help but feel that they were intended but had to be cut) and the ability to make custom ones in the course creator. Fujimi Kaido was the most fun I had in Forza 3 and I was a bit gutted GT5 didn't have anything similar, I realise that was a circuit but it could be tackled in stages and was just really fun anyway.

A course creator with 'British B-Road', 'Alpine Mountain Pass' and 'Touge' settings would be so awesome.

Well if Driving Park is added as a track that would fulfil the Togue needs as that's the track they use on Best Motoring Togue battles. I wish they had Button Willow too as they built a Togue track there too.

For those of you who would prefer to drive in the country side rather than race on a track, you're playing the wrong game. Are you talking about free rome at a race track? Wow... so you could drive around the garage area, check out behind the grand stands and maybe park on a hillside and watch the other 15 cars race. Seems pretty lame to me.

They did build photo mode, so maybe free rome belongs in that part of the game. If you must drive around slowly in a racing game, maybe they could add cities to photo mode where you could drive the streets looking for a place to take a picture.

GT5 is primarily a racing game. I'd prefer the programmers stay focused on racing. More tracks, more cars, better physics.

For those of you who would prefer to drive in the country side rather than race on a track, you're playing the wrong game. Are you talking about free rome at a race track? Wow... so you could drive around the garage area, check out behind the grand stands and maybe park on a hillside and watch the other 15 cars race. Seems pretty lame to me.

They did build photo mode, so maybe free rome belongs in that part of the game. If you must drive around slowly in a racing game, maybe they could add cities to photo mode where you could drive the streets looking for a place to take a picture.

GT5 is primarily a racing game. I'd prefer the programmers stay focused on racing. More tracks, more cars, better physics.
I agree (even if I like the idea of a game like TDU2 made by PD) but the Gran Turismo saga really needs is a objective, and PD needs to focus on what they want to really do with the game. Their ideas were too dispersed, the result was seen, many didn't like it.

I don't understand why it's considered an "option" by anyone for a racing game.

Of course they could always turn it into a driving game, save us the difficulties of shopping for the best racing game.

I would definitely love a free roam, but I wouldn't want it to turn into an nfs or mcla type game. I would just love to be able to drive though a city and do real highway pulls or city drifting. Or even a car meet in a big parking lot. I'm sure there are better uses for the space that would take up though.

Voted no, give me more A-spec events, 200 pts A-spec challenge and a better online experience (due on course on Spec 2.0) and let free roam for other games.

I would LOVE free roam. I always want to take that exit onto the freeway on the 1st corner on SSR5. Then just go anywhere i want. It would make the game waaaaay better.

I would LOVE free roam. I always want to take that exit onto the freeway on the 1st corner on SSR5. Then just go anywhere i want. It would make the game waaaaay better.
There's also an interesting (but closed) exit before the last corner.

Free Roam... No. Open city/town courses? Yes. Only for racing/course making.

Since Kaz loves things to be "perfect", he could take a city (or portion thereof) and a town or two to fully map, then create point-to-point street races (like TDU), including off road with multiple surfaces. This would be excellent for those who want to race on gravel, stone, grass, tarmac, concrete, cobblestone, etc.
A checkpoint system would be easy. This would be great mixed with different seasons (winter, spring, fall, summer), weather, and time of day. We obviously wouldn't have too many "places", but if there were 3-4 about 10-20 miles by 10-20 miles, and around 100 different roads/trails per "place" we'd have countless different tracks. It'd be a track generator with already known topography. You could get something for everybody... the drag racers, the rallies, highway hot runs, street racing, touge, drifting, trucks/off road, snow/ice racing.

If they come out with Gran Turismo Tokyo. Yes.
The should make a Gran Turismo game based on a real life city. That would be awesome.
Free roam and design our own tracks around the city.

It would be cool to break up the monotony of just racing. I would like to have a home with a garage of favorite cars and be able to drive to the track from your house of what ever country you are in :)

I voted no purely because I think that if it wasnt implemented it would'nt be done in the way we expect, I asume what most of want is a Test Drive Unlimited style open world map with GT5 physics and car count and detail. That I would love it if ever came true.

But what I expect would happen if we ever got this is something similar to what can been seen at GT5's main menu, if you have ever seen it you will know what im talking about. All the white buildings and white roads with cars driving about them on I imagine thats what we would get if we ever got this "free roam" feature Kaz mentioned.

I always had a crazy but beautiful dream where a game had GT5 physics and graphics, but every road in the world was perfectly re-created and the game was totally free roam.

Yes this will never happen but YES, I do want free roam, and I do mean the drive around where you like variety (TDU style)

Back to my dream, would it be wrong to think such a game would only be possible to make in around 10 years? 👍

Free roam would be awesome, I'd love to cruise round cities with friends etc, but for now it shouldn't be PDs main priority and I can't see it happening anyway.

Read the GT5 box cover.

Beat me to it... Hard to be the real driving simulator when everything is on a racetrack.

When I drive these cars, I immediately want to take them off of the race track and onto a freeway/highway. AI traffic is a must. I know many don't feel the same but I feel if I get a '60 Corvette, I want to cruise with some friends enjoying the car.

Could you imagine a cannonball run with AI traffic/obstacles in this game? A race/cruise from California to Colorado (I know this is impossible due to system limits; just dreaming) in a bunch of.....anything?

Of course if we could get a TDU style open world, it would be ideal (for me). But I wouldn't mind a city like Tokyo.

Someone suggested a course that continues to generate as you drive. I don't know how that would be possible online, but I'd be interested to see how it would work.

At the very least a track creator that allows you to make detailed 15 to 30-mile courses and adjust the scenery.

No to free-roam. It just doesn't fit into Gran Turismo at the moment. I think of street racing games like Need for Speed Underground and Midnight Club when I think of free-roam in driving games.

No to free-roam. It just doesn't fit into Gran Turismo at the moment. I think of street racing games like Need for Speed Underground and Midnight Club when I think of free-roam in driving games.

Well, in all honesty, that's sort of your own stigma. Free roam doesn't mean GTA, TDU, NFS or anything else, even though these games have had free-roam-like aspects to certain / all installments. It also doesn't mean "drive around in a city", necessarily.

Free roam just means drive where you like; no artificial borders. As for the sorts of free roam areas, I'm thinking more GTA SA than NFS U2 et al. :)

I half agree with Louie. It doesn't fit GT now because of the PS3, but it will next gen.

But that's not what Louielouie3 said. ;)

I don't see much of a generational issue; the Nürburgring is already too big for the PS3. That's why the track and scenery are streamed as it is.

You guys need to buy TDU or TDU2

GT5 is a racing simulator. not a driving simulator.

I would imagine they already did. I know I did, but it's because I like the Test Drive series all the way back to it's PC days 15+ years ago.

When people say no to street racing... isn't it racing? Okay, take away the "showcase" ladies at the start, silly paint jobs, silly body jobs... it's the car, driver, and the road. Just another venue. Saying street racing isn't racing, is like saying Rally racing isn't racing. They're cars being driven point to point. It takes skill. This is a real possible way to simulate racing. ---Oh, and I don't particularly like street racing, but at its core, it can be interesting.

I'm going to vote yes, however only if it was done right in a large playable area.

Used to play TDU online constantly when it first came out. Free roam, a good group of friends just cruising and exploring round a large island was very satisfying. That was even with ropey physics....

The same thing done with GT5 physics would be fantastic.

That said though, if a form of free roam were ever to appear in GT. My bet would just be a city environment, simulating gridlock and a load of people complaining about not being able to find a car parking space as they want to get there parallel parking trophy

Back