Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
Yes, but street circuits only, as they actually have free roam IRL when it's not being used as a circuit.

Wouldn't really work elsewhere as circuits are .. well circuits. You're supposed to blat around them as fast as you can.

Yes, that WOULD be nice, like CTznOfTime said there are more important issues to be addressed.

Also, Kaz said he wanted a speed limit involved. My question was, if there was going to be a speed limit, what would happen if one were to break that speed limit? Police? Chase?....holy crap turn the grits off, they done!

My guess is you would be disqualified. :sly: Seriously though they probably don't want to promote breaking the law otherwise the game would be rated differently... what's the latest NFS HP game rated?

I like the idea for GT6, but there are more pressing issues. It's still something I'd definitely eventually like to see though so I voted yes.

I vote no. For cars at least.
I'd like to be able to walk around my garage and look at all my cars however.. I think that'd be a cool feature.

Getting around on foot in Gran Turismo? No... just no...

Can't believe PD made this decision! Their standard seem to be falling.

PD have limited resources. I groaned when Kaz announced this feature, and I'm even more astonished at the call for it, at this time. It would be a good idea if we were all saying "Damn, 1000 premiums, 70 circuits, race modifications restored to the series in all it's glory!? We better think of something really challenging for them to work on next time!?"

But.. It's not QUITE like that, is it? We only have 20 circuits, 80% of the cars are PS2 fossils, race modification is available on just over 1% of cars, and a whole host of other features have only partly made it into the game. I just don't get it why you'd want them to put their resources into something so time consuming and so un-essential :lol:

I voted NO!

There are many other things to fix and to do ... BEFORE this new waste of time ...

I-R

OK, lets assume the free-roam comes AFTER all the bugs are fixed and ALL the Standard cars are made Premium.

Wouldn't it be great to walk around a massive car park full of the cars you've collected?

How about your car, sitting outside your home, begging to shoot along the highway or cruise through town?

A point from my previous point... there actually is a suburb called South Houston. And of course, I'm from southeastern Houston. I just still would be unsure as to how to actually implement this. Too many gray areas to really think about how to implement this feature. And obviously, it would be pointless having a race car on public roads and obeying traffic. When was the last time you saw a Mazda 787B (for example) go down Interstate 10, go down the Brooklyn Bridge, cruise around US 101, the M5 in the Unkted Kingdom, Wangan B, or any other highway system I can't immediately think of? Just too many gray areas.

AFTER they have fixed the essay of issues it would be nice to drive between the venues in the Grand Tour. I can imagine some great driving roads out of the swiss alps down to Italy.

Say there will be a free roaming mode. You drive around an area, you can get out of your car, then that will mean you can get hit by a car. Now that sounds fun like GTA.

Well i read an article that they were going to put out a download that would upgrade all standard cars to premium with cockpits this month, so i guess they have already covered the standard car issue.

Well i read an article that they were going to put out a download that would upgrade all standard cars to premium with cockpits this month, so i guess they have already covered the standard car issue.

I read a similar article, however it's only some standard cars getting the upgrade, not all. To do 800+ cars would take far more time.

The results are in Amigos, what's left to ponder?

Although most of the comments were against it, almost twice as many GT Planet readers think this would be a cool feature to include (providing all the main kinks have been ironed out)
Seeing the above video for TDU2 garage, I think this is the way to go for GT.
The whole rotating car in space thing is essentially a GT1 / PS1 restriction that hasnt moved forward and needs to be updated.

We have already seen the 1st person walk around view in photomode, and that looks awesome. With the attention to detail PD have shown in the premium cars, especially with the interiors, having this in GT will surpass TDU2's decent crack at it.

At the moment I think the GTlife menu system is really clunky. It would be nice to have 2 versions.

1. A very basic menu system for navigating around at speed. Too much time is spent at the moment getting from one menu to the next, there aren't shortcuts to get back to the main menu or to other often used sub-menus.

2. A free roam mode which doubles as the menu system. 1st person view walk-around at the dealerships, used car yards and of course, your own garage.
Drive from one car dealership to the next, to GT Auto and then out of town over some deserted mountain roads. Leave the road rules and cops to the other games though i reckon.

Ideally you would be able to switch between the 2 easily so you are never more than a few clicks away from where you want to be.

Zychon- that entire speech was great. . . i just find myself reading it as if it was Samuel L Jackson like he was in Pulp Fiction speaking it.

I voted YES.

I created an account just to vote yes. I can imagine nothing better on a PS3 than being able to drive these cars around a virtual city/area. Online with friends, with varying amounts of traffic. Sightseeing, cruising, and racing in 1000 different cars...perfect.

No TDU2 is not the same, not even close...

I voted no, because I think that are better things to be add to GT and also free roam is for turbo-nitrous-neons-vinils of dreadful taste.
I'm sorry but its what I think, but if PD decides to do that I won't say that it shouldn't be in the game because I'm sure that there are a lot of people who will enjoy it.

No, I would not like PD to focus on Free Roam. To me it's not what GT5 is all about. It would probably be great to have, but would take large quantities of PD's time and resources to implement it - time which should be spent fixing GT5s flaws instead.

Give us proper, challenging races first before you consider any side projects please PD. Perfect what you have, then move on to something different.

If they were going to do it they should do it right. I like how some people say drive a car to the dealerships and then gt auto and such, but do it right. Sorry just thinking of GT5's damage model (which we all know is crap). If they had some generic road like Toscana tarmac just as a filler to get from point A to point B I wouldn't use it.

Now if you drove out of your garage after the door opened and then you drove to somewhere down a street to get there then cool but if it were going to be realistic they would have to model miles of roads with changing backgrounds. And I don't think PD is nowhere near that point of implementing something like this.

If they were going to do it they should do it right. I like how some people say drive a car to the dealerships and then gt auto and such, but do it right. Sorry just thinking of GT5's damage model (which we all know is crap). If they had some generic road like Toscana tarmac just as a filler to get from point A to point B I wouldn't use it.

Now if you drove out of your garage after the door opened and then you drove to somewhere down a street to get there then cool but if it were going to be realistic they would have to model miles of roads with changing backgrounds. And I don't think PD is nowhere near that point of implementing something like this.
Yeah I'm not sure why this post is still up, just realised the OP date. It's clearly not going to happen in GT5 at this stage, although he might be saving something LIKE this for GT6 though.

voted no.

free roaming is more for Driver and GTA series.

If PD run out of things to implement than I would nod mind.
but for please let them use the time for making tracks, car and other things that make the racing better.
lika damage or a flag system

Would be fun to have a mountain road to free roam in. But I think free roam will get boring soon without police chasing you like in nfs: most wanted or GTA.

No. Free roaming wouldn't work on GT5 (or any game of this type) because if it was implemented, people wouldn't want just one small city or cenery as it would get boring very quickly. People would want different kinds of cenery and that takes a lot of space. So they would have to take out some things from the game like cars and/or tracks and in GT terms that is very bad. The reason it works in other games is because everything happens in the same city wich isn't the case with GT. For a game like Gran Turismo having loads of tracks is much more important than just one big city. Free roaming is the very last thing PD should put in the game as it wouldn't add much to gameplay value. Think about it: why doesn't the best racing simulators have this feature?

I voted no.

All I car about is racing and racing related options. Photo mode and replays help preserve racing moments so I like those as well.

If it was anything like an open world need for speed where you drive from event to even then I wouldn't care for it whatsoever. Some people would enjoy it but not me. I would rather they spend that development time creating more real world tracks for the game.

Back