Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
"Hey cousin, its Roman . . . Do you want to see a movie?"

I want to mow down pedestrians with my Ferrari.

What do either of these have to do with free roam in a game like GT5?

Free-roaming isn't what makes those games what they are; it's the sandbox elements attached to that free-roaming ability (despite there being obvious barriers in GTAIV, opened as you progress through the story - a classic "open-world" mechanic), the pseudo-functioning world built to accommodate the free-roaming and various other activities (like shooting things, running stuff down, or just admiring the view) could be anything: a forest, a city, Deimos, the human body etc.

Imagine you're just off for a drive around the Nürburgring Nordschleife, in some car you've had in your garage for a while now, but only just got around to playing with. You set off at a spirited but leisurely pace, just messing around really, and meet your inevitable understeer moment at Breidscheid, only to find the gate is open...

I don't expect that will ever happen in the game, but it'd be cool, as a start, to be able to drive on any part of the circuit in a single layout (i.e. a layout without barriers or obstructions; an open layout). What would be possible is "generic" areas, as seen in the course creator, or the SSR tracks, that mesh together to make a sort of loose network of roads on which it may be possible to set your own circuits or point-to-points for. Online this would be very popular, I feel, depending on exactly how it is handled.

What do either of these have to do with free roam in a game like GT5?

Free-roaming isn't what makes those games what they are; it's the sandbox elements attached to that free-roaming ability (despite there being obvious barriers in GTAIV, opened as you progress through the story - a classic "open-world" mechanic), the pseudo-functioning world built to accommodate the free-roaming and various other activities (like shooting things, running stuff down, or just admiring the view) could be anything: a forest, a city, Deimos, the human body etc.

Imagine you're just off for a drive around the Nürburgring Nordschleife, in some car you've had in your garage for a while now, but only just got around to playing with. You set off at a spirited but leisurely pace, just messing around really, and meet your inevitable understeer moment at Breidscheid, only to find the gate is open...

Now you're talking! Getting outside the barriers to mow down some of those spectators!:D I especially want after those suicidal nuts at Elin Nordegren. Smug buggers... taunting a guy from behind those cheap little fences.

Yes, but if this was an extra feature that could be added if they had extra time. I don't think it should be high up on a list of priorities, but it would be a neat feature to have in the near future.

We want too many real life tracks, too many cars, a complex physics system, in depth customization and a ton of other stuff. Would a free roam environment be cool? Yes. But I don't think it's possible to implement a worthwhile world and retain everything else. It would be a massive undertaking. Free roam in a game by itself it would be better. But then, that game exists already. PD would have to come up with other ideas to differentiate their version from TDU. I don't have suggestions for that. But what about a compromise?

Step 1: Put in real life driving roads instead;

Stelvio Pass
Mulholland Drive
Transfagarasan Highway
Isle of Man
Maryhill Loops Road
Etc.

Step 2: Create fictional dirt tracks utilizing parts of these roads and there are your rally stages.

Step 3: Introduce more realistic course maker themes to make our own two lane mountain/driving roads. This, to me, is the best use for the course maker, currently. But only Toscana is a worthwhile theme.

This would hardly add to the size of the game but still give the players most of the feeling that a free roam world would.

It seems the open world is desirable to the sect of players who enjoy a more realistic atmosphere and don't fantasize about driving F1 cars. I hardly drive race cars and I appreciate a less fantastical approach to collecting and driving cars. Assuming I was a millionaire, I would spend my time on these real roads and not entertain ideas of being a pro racer. It's fun to take a bunch of hot hatches to Monza, but these cars are most commonly found on the road, not world famous F1 circuits.

Last edited:
GT5 won't have free roam. Why?

First off, Honda.

They'll pull the licensing if the game has anything similar to illegal driving.
So, if you want free roam, wave goodbye to your Preludes, NSXs and Civics (and Acuras, but who'll miss the CL anyway :sly:).

Honda accounts for roughly 10% of all the cars in GT5, so I think it's highly unlikely PD would sacrifice the license of 100 cars for a feature many people would describe as a "gimmick". Secondly, the technical difficulties they'd have to overcome, would be too great for it to be put in the game within a reasonable amount of time. I'd love to see free roam implemented, but I can't really see it happen for a long, long time.

Last edited:
I actually don't mind the Free Roam at all.

It could be a place where people drive their lovely cars and meet other player and chat and of cause showing off their ride.

But the technical problem is would ps3/server handle lots of player at once. Maybe that is what Kaz is planning to do but encounter some technical issue and trying to work around the problem.

7 years ago, yes...

A company's strategy can change a lot in that amount of time.

Honda does not wish to be associated with ANY form of street racing anymore.

Isle of Man...
Isle of Man- Yes... excellent idea!
GT5 won't have free roam. Why?
First off, Honda.
They'll pull the licensing if the game has anything similar to illegal driving.
Hondas were in the NFS underground games.
We don't have a few manufacturers already, and I personally wouldn't mind not having Honda/Acura... but all they have to do is put the normal disclaimer. Respectfully, If we're talking illegal driving, then they'd already pull it because we drive in London, on SSR5, etc. These are streets, closed course- yes, so there is little difference on an open course.

I think it matters what the game is about, it wouldn't be all about the open options. GT would still be a Racing Simulator.

I don't even want a complete free roam, just some freedom to make point-to-point races in/through various environments.

Uhm... how exactly is racing on closed public roads illegal? It is completely different from driving in an open-road environment with traffic, where hazardous driving is obviously against the law.

It'd be fun to have for a teenaher like me that is jus starting to drive. I've been racing for 10 years but that still hasn't prepared me for driving on the road and if anything, has hindered my ability to follow the rules laid out by the instructors (F braking withb my right foot! Lol). Overall, I'd like to have it to practice driving stick on the street rather than just at a race pace which is way easier for me since I can just let the clutch out and floor it rather than actually having to worry about the car(s) ahead of me. Although there are things GT5 still needs to work on, I'll vote yes because this has a huge benefit and can be a lot of fun with some "safe" street racing.

Uhm... how exactly is racing on closed public roads illegal? It is completely different from driving in an open-road environment with traffic, where hazardous driving is obviously against the law.

Okay, fair point, as I re-reading what I've said isn't clear. These point-to-points wouldn't have traffic. We don't need traffic. This is what I meant by open course: It would be open environment, with open possibilities, with checkpoints, but it would be the cars racing against each other- alone. No artificial barriers, armco, concrete K rails, or invisible wall-barriers. My idea would be a limited free roam with choices to race on. Sorry for the confusion.

Okay, fair point, as I re-reading what I've said isn't clear. These point-to-points wouldn't have traffic. We don't need traffic. This is what I meant by open course: It would be open environment, with open possibilities, with checkpoints, but it would be the cars racing against each other- alone. No artificial barriers, armco, concrete K rails, or invisible wall-barriers. My idea would be a limited free roam with choices to race on. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, okay, I understand :)
Sounds pretty awesome to me.

But if Kazunori were to implement his own idea...
Yamauchi wanted to implement a “free roam” gameplay mode in GT5, where players could drive around, respecting speed limits and obeying traffic laws, and even exit the car to walk around and explore the environment on foot.
... fuhgeddaboud Honda :ill:

I always liked the idea of free roam, Need for speed had this is some games, it was nice. In this game, it really would have to be a city theme. But I suppose you could take SSR5 and put exit ramps etc... Of course that would take up quite the amount of your hard drive.

Meh, it would be cool if PD does include Free-Roam/C-Spec, but I voted NO because there are better things to work on, such as a livery editor, more freedom in Course Maker, DLC, etc.

It'd be fun to have for a teenaher like me that is jus starting to drive. I've been racing for 10 years but that still hasn't prepared me for driving on the road and if anything, has hindered my ability to follow the rules laid out by the instructors (F braking withb my right foot! Lol). Overall, I'd like to have it to practice driving stick on the street rather than just at a race pace which is way easier for me since I can just let the clutch out and floor it rather than actually having to worry about the car(s) ahead of me. Although there are things GT5 still needs to work on, I'll vote yes because this has a huge benefit and can be a lot of fun with some "safe" street racing.
That's a big reason why Kaz wants C-Spec. The practice people have in C-spec will translate into the world. I don't know if that means there has to be traffic laws to follow, but that wouldn't be so fun.

Meh, it would be cool if PD does include Free-Roam/C-Spec, but I voted NO because there are better things to work on, such as a livery editor, more freedom in Course Maker, DLC, etc.
Well, I doubt PD will attempt this for GT5.

I think it's totally possible for GT5, they have some sizeable areas already modeled that could be used for free roam.

The only problem i see how would you enforce rules? Yes, you could set a speed limit but how are you gonna stop people from smashing into each other? Perhaps it would be an off-line feature for awhile? Who knows, all i know is that free roam would be awesome.

another_jakhole
Well, I doubt PD will attempt this for GT5.
Yeah, C-Spec will probably be on PS4, unless Kaz has a Spec 3.0 ace up his sleeve. I can see a livery editor being included in GT5 anywhere from December to June of 2012, and afterword PD puts half of the staff on developing DLC for GT5, and the other half working on GT6.

Yes. But for gods sake PD outsource the animations for characters. If, we are allowed to get out and walk around something I'd like to see some 3D virtual people. Not the traditional cardboard cut outs trackside.

Rdp616
I think it's totally possible for GT5, they have some sizeable areas already modeled that could be used for free roam.

The only problem i see how would you enforce rules? Yes, you could set a speed limit but how are you gonna stop people from smashing into each other? Perhaps it would be an off-line feature for awhile? Who knows, all i know is that free roam would be awesome.

If you exceed 70 mph, you take a penalty, and become limited to driving in 40 mph for 60 seconds.
XD

If it was to have free roam, it would have to be in mountain passes. Seriously, we need proper touge courses in GT5.

Free Roam.... Pointless in my opinion.

This is a racing game. Not Saints Row.

Actually it's a driving simulator. How is it that free roam means GTA or Saints Row?? Nonsense. Ever played TDU? What would you call that? In my opinion it's the best idea for a driving game ever.

No offence, but IMO it's narrow-minded thinking like this that will not allow GT5 to innovate and become even better...

Back