Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
According to the article, you would need to obey road rules and signals.
If you don't obey these signs, and you don't get caught by police, then why?

If they had free roam, it should be like Modnation racers where there's a turn table in the middle and people gather in groups and mash the X button to jump their car. :sly::sly::sly::sly:

A lot of people like the idea of free roam. If implemented, it will take time and resources. Then those same people would complain PD didn't improve AI, didn't put that circuit, that car, didn't improve engine sounds, didn't integrate A and B Spec, etc.

Priorities, folks.

I would enjoy a free roam. I would enjoy MUCH MORE a point-to-point track creator with a span of many miles (say 15) and custom terrain, so I (or anyone) could make a nice mountain road to cruise on. Whether I chose to casually drive it or race it would be up to me anyways.
And I would happily take a punch in the graphics department for this.

A GTA or Burnout Paradise style city would be fun to drive around in. I don't quite see how they could mix the current Aspec and this CSpec style though, unless it was two different games with a joint garage or something like that.

Kaz should make it a habit to come to GTP and check out the Rant threads for ideas to work on... Free Roam can wait.
Do you realise how many GT forums are there on the Internet? Thousands. In hundreds of languages. Maybe Jordan can tell him, the next time they meet up. . .

As for Free Roam. Why not? Eventually, of course. There are some other options still to be refined and/or added to.

free roam?? are you serious, i am not looking to play Grand Theft Auto. I play to race and not faff around the neighborhood.

I would rather PD focus on more pressing matters -> more real life tracks, better car sounds, better online and car customization like Forza has always managed quite well - hopefully spec 2.0/dlc will attempt to address some of these issues

I dont know of this has been said already (not reading 222 posts just to make my small point lol) but does everyone know about the main menu movies?
The one that has White roads and buildings like an architecture model/concept where all the cars are driving through the white roads - looks like a free roam city.

Maybe that would of been in the game if we recieved it in 2012. Would of been amazing!

Free roam I'm not bothered about, but as others have said I'd love some point-to-point tracks (I can't help but feel that they were intended but had to be cut) and the ability to make custom ones in the course creator. Fujimi Kaido was the most fun I had in Forza 3 and I was a bit gutted GT5 didn't have anything similar, I realise that was a circuit but it could be tackled in stages and was just really fun anyway.

A course creator with 'British B-Road', 'Alpine Mountain Pass' and 'Touge' settings would be so awesome.

I dont know of this has been said already (not reading 222 posts just to make my small point lol) but does everyone know about the main menu movies?
The one that has White roads and buildings like an architecture model/concept where all the cars are driving through the white roads - looks like a free roam city.

Maybe that would of been in the game if we recieved it in 2012. Would of been amazing!

Isn't this scene only representing one car? A hybrid or electric vehicle?

I believe it is just to represent "clean". The car is cleaner on the environment, and the scene is white which represents clean just to coincide with the car.

I haven´t read many posts in this thread, but I think PD should combine tracks (Nurburgring Nord/24h/gp, SSR, Suzuka full/east etc). That would be good enough for me. Don´t need free roam in a city if they could make this work. Getting all the roads inside Nurburgring would be awesome too, but I don´t think that is ever going to happen

I think the tracks should be opened up more as well. Imagine going to the big parking lot at Fuji and doing X cross there. But being able to drive to the parking lot after you enter the track.

I'm glad that everyone is concerning themselves with how they think PD should manage their time. :rolleyes:

I really think the point is that should everyone's pet peeves be sorted, and everything is fine and dandy with the game (this will never happen, of course...) then would the extra inclusion of a separate area to drive around with no artificial barriers be of any use to anyone? But no, everyone is too keen to gripe and whinge rather than have an actual discussion about a hypothetical feature.

I honestly think that SSR7 was part of the planned free-roam mode; I can see that sort of thing being very easily adapted to a much larger area, with a whole network of interconnecting carriageways and slips etc. Then there are the course generator circuits; procedurally generated content. Let's face it, they've already put in some of the leg-work, and the only real barrier is content production (as well as these supposed rules and their enforcing, which I'm less keen on - but then I'm a prolific speeder on "cruise" servers in LFS...), but if it could somehow be procedurally generated (and I really don't see why not), I think they'd be onto a winner.

Think about it, there could be endless combinations of procedurally generated sub-units (course generator tracks), stitched together and meshed where their roads meet their borders, and it can all be streamed on the fly with minimal "content" impact on the disk. I've dreamed of this sort of thing for so many years now, just endless driving. :dopey:

trk29
Isn't this scene only representing one car? A hybrid or electric vehicle?

I believe it is just to represent "clean". The car is cleaner on the environment, and the scene is white which represents clean just to coincide with the car.

True, but that makes no sense showing it in a racing game where we are burning fuel and tyres constantly lol.

But I do see your point as it was Hybrid and Electric cars that were roaming around.

Adding a free roam would definitely please a larger customer portion: imaging how many people bought NFS:MW just to roam and be chased by the police? (I definitely did. :P)

The point is, a lot of marketing gain would probably come out of this as it would appeal a different portion of the racing market, as well as keeping the serious gamers interested.

I'm not sure what I think about this. I hope that GT will always be a racing game, but on the other hand I'm a bit disappointed on other free roam games because the cars doesn't handle nearly as well as in GT.

Maybe free roam isn't really necessary, in the way that it's done in the TDU series for instance, but it would be nice if for instance the Grand Tour special event allowed you to drive the roads in between the actual events as well. So not free roam as an open sandbox world, but rather one extremely long road from the Swiss alps to Rome :D

I voted yes...I've played both TDU1 and TDU2 but the physics bother me.Now with GT5's graphics and physics it would make one hell of a free roam game...even with standard cars.

I'm rather indifferent on the answer at the moment. Depending on how it was handled and implemented it could be a good idea.
BUT, there's whole host of other things that really need addressing before it should even be put into any meaningful conversation at the PD offices. Fix the bugs, un-squidgify all the barriers so that you can't just drive through solid objects and make the overall visual appearance worthy of being released on the PS3. Only then would I begin to consider adding completely new features into the game.
The entire SSR set of tracks could easily be the way to go with this, as there's not a whole lot of rendering outside the track boundaries to worry about. Most of the intersections are rendered for quite a distance too, so the power to do it is easily there.

I've even gone for a walkabout in photo mode around some of the sections. A couple of shots in my gallery like this one
picture.php

Free roam would be an amazing and you all know it deep down. Don't even try to deny it.

I honestly think that SSR7 was part of the planned free-roam mode; I can see that sort of thing being very easily adapted to a much larger area, with a whole network of interconnecting carriageways and slips etc. Then there are the course generator circuits; procedurally generated content. Let's face it, they've already put in some of the leg-work, and the only real barrier is content production (as well as these supposed rules and their enforcing, which I'm less keen on - but then I'm a prolific speeder on "cruise" servers in LFS...), but if it could somehow be procedurally generated (and I really don't see why not), I think they'd be onto a winner.

Think about it, there could be endless combinations of procedurally generated sub-units (course generator tracks), stitched together and meshed where their roads meet their borders, and it can all be streamed on the fly with minimal "content" impact on the disk. I've dreamed of this sort of thing for so many years now, just endless driving. :dopey:

From what I've read on this forum Enthusia already had something very similar (a self generating highway section) and since they apparantly employed Enthusia's 'physics guy' for GT5 that game (and thereby that feature) may not have escaped PD and combined with the course creator mechanics something like it (albeit more complex I imagine) might make its appearance one day in the GT-series.

Last week I've been busy playing Driver San Fransisco which I received as a present and although that game provides a lot of enjoyment for what it is I couldn't help but wondering what an open world or sandbox-environment would be like with sim-like or GT-physics instead of the slightly arcadey physics (although still quite 'convincing' for some vehicles) Driver has got.

Although the hugely enjoyable car-wrecking and stunt antics and mission based gameplay perhaps aren't perfectly suitable for a 'serious' simulator (or whatever you prefer to call it) like GT, meaning the sort of game GT seemingly intends to be (not meaning a car-wrecking/stunt based game couldn't be a sim), but a traffic rule obeying 'Sunday drive' kind of thing Kaz hinted at might be the other extreme (although that might just be one gameplay element which they could add as an antidote to racing, drifting and hotlapping and it might be fun for variety).

Now if they somehow could add traffic as well something like this could work not just to drive endlessly but as another gameplay element if they implement it somewhat similar to Driver (for example overtake a certain amount of cars within a time limit, or reach a destination without crashing, within the speed limit or without tanking for fuel....).
Ah well, not anytime soon I guess. :)

Having a free roam game with the level of (driving) physic and behavior that PD can pull off would be a real thrill for drivers, I imagine it'll take PD a long time to develop such a game though.

Back