Gran Turismo Open World Game?

GT6 is sooooooo, almost there in having an open-world.
Just take the entirety of Ronda/ Sierra and render the real world roads on it.
Seriously, there's months on end worth of driving in that space.

The guys who've modded the Track Creator APK are doing awesome stuff with custom tracks, but just limited by the PS3

So, Port the Eifel and Andalusia layouts, with all the roads driveable, to PS4.
Tidy up the graphics to match GTS and add in the iconic road cars.
Call it GT World. Sell millions

Allow users to create their own circuits or p2p tracks within the existing roads simply by selecting sections of road.
the game engine then just needs to drop barricades in place to keep you on the track.
Done.

Endless possibilities

Implementing free roaming is something that would decrease value and identity of GT series even more. They should stick with what they were best at (circuit racing) instead of focusing on mechanics that have already been implemented better by other racing games.

That's dangerous reasoning, friend: PD is pretty lousy in terms of circuit racing when compared to games like PCARS. :P

No qualifying, awful rolling start implementation... some of it looks to have improved in GTS, but we'll have to wait 'n' see!

That's dangerous reasoning, friend: PD is pretty lousy in terms of circuit racing when compared to games like PCARS. :P

No qualifying, awful rolling start implementation... some of it looks to have improved in GTS, but we'll have to wait 'n' see!
From my perspective, all this flaws could be mended within a year of hard and focused work. On the other hand, implementing free roam would mean starting good deal of the game from scratch and I don't think after 20 years of being distant from this kind of racing, they can do it as good as other rivals.

They have more chance to repeat the success if they stick with circuit racing.

A road map that connected the regions between the fictional race tracks in Gran Turismo would be pretty rad. The individual dealers and GT Autos would populate the outside areas.

GT6 is sooooooo, almost there in having an open-world.
Just take the entirety of Ronda/ Sierra and render the real world roads on it.
Seriously, there's months on end worth of driving in that space.

Having driven on the mountain road that links Ronda to the coast this past Monday, that truly is a great driving road worthy of a video game appearance. The Skoda hire car on energy saving tyres was well out of its depth on the corners, because it ran out of grip too easily to be truly fun.

Guys, the thing is that PD needs to try an open world GT and name it Gran Turismo Wolrd, and do something like forza on xbox.. one year a normal Gran Turismo and the other year a Gran Turismo World. Players of PS4 will be happy like as xbox players lol.

Saying that an open world Gran Turismo game made by another developer wouldn't be Gran Turismo any more is utter tripe.

The Forza Horizon series still feels like a Forza game despite being made by Playground Games. T10 didn't just sit back and let PG do it's thing because the two collaborated on the series.

If PD was willing to reach it's hand out to other studios then an open world GT game would be possible, but Kaz has his head buried so far up his own rear end that it simply won't happen any time soon. If Evolution was still around, they would have been great candidates for developing an open world GT.

PD really needs to look up the word collaboration.

Saying that an open world Gran Turismo game made by another developer wouldn't be Gran Turismo any more is utter tripe.

The Forza Horizon series still feels like a Forza game despite being made by Playground Games. T10 didn't just sit back and let PG do it's thing because the two collaborated on the series.

If PD was willing to reach it's hand out to other studios then an open world GT game would be possible, but Kaz has his head buried so far up his own rear end that it simply won't happen any time soon. If Evolution was still around, they would have been great candidates for developing an open world GT.

PD really needs to look up the word collaboration.

It's a mutually beneficial collaboration too, because PG come up with ideas and implementations that make their way into the Motorsport line the following year.

Imagine that map with all those racetracks inside the Isle of Man track, with each paddock linked by roads.....

Gran Turismo is already no longer a Gran Turismo it used to be and they still haven't implemented open world or assigned a different studio yet... :P

I do agree about collaborations, they should collaborate with subjects whose work would affect quality of gameplay far more than it does. Collaborations they had so far produced pretty much curiosities interesting only to limited amount of GT players.

How about a combination of a TDU like game (for the open world feeling) and GT (for the gameplay) in one game.

Driving from tracks to tracks on continents where the tracks are , like having the choice between 3 possible routes from a track to another. Like from le mans to silverstone to the nurburgring to monza and so on, but also going from daytona to swillow springs (but all of this with cut dsitances), and on the way going through cities and car dealerships and important car places (stuttgart for merc, porsche, molsheim for bugatti, woking mclaren maranello ferrari etc), and beautiful places where we could get a real photo mode (gaining XP by taking pictures of your car in magnificent landscapes), while using road cars for the open world and once you go on the track you take your race car do your race and continue (or even keep your open world car for the sunday cups). By implementing the 19 real tracks from GT6 + Pikes Peak and TT and all the areas around and routes, it would not make the work much more heavy than before (considering you don't start from scratch and that you don't have to make new nonexistent tracks).

And when you need to go from europe to japan or japan to america you get the chance to go to an airport with your car and have a cut scene of you travelling in a cargo plane wiht your staff and your car (How hard can it be to include a cut scene like this. And when you arrive you get the shock of culture with the annoucer at the airport talking in the language of the country authorithes welcomng you, and then you go get your car set the sat nav on and travel to the next race).

Like just imagine making routes before and after the pikes peak stage where you could just relax and take pictures drive around (get rewards and xp and stuff or even copy the barnfind system of FH, I actually feel that it would come in handy so well in the GT philosophy, Imagine getting old cars like the first merc and then going on the road with it).

I feel that it's time for GT to renew itself, and that it is not the real driving simulator anymore. While the gameplay is more than enjoyable, it's more and more permissive for the player, and no one would really mind using it in an open-world gameplay phases.

That would be also the opportunity to include bikes (and symbolic motorcycle races like the TT), as kaz has always wanted to do in GT. 400 cars + 100 bikes would be perfect.

Edit : And I forgot to say, it's in the name "Gran" "Turismo" ... That also could be the opportunity if they feel it to put historical races (Mille miglia, targa florio the TDF, etc...) in the game.

Well I know I'm dreaming, but dreams have never killed :)

Last edited:
I'm almost certain Kaz has stated he'd love to take GT in that direction, a game without boundaries or tracks where players just drive where they please. It was a few years ago, around GT5 time I think that he mentioned it. I'm sure someone from here will trawl through quotes or remember better than I.

How about a combination of a TDU like game (for the open world feeling) and GT (for the gameplay) in one game.

Driving from tracks to tracks on continents where the tracks are , like having the choice between 3 possible routes from a track to another. Like from le mans to silverstone to the nurburgring to monza and so on, but also going from daytona to swillow springs (but all of this with cut dsitances), and on the way going through cities and car dealerships and important car places (stuttgart for merc, porsche, molsheim for bugatti, woking mclaren maranello ferrari etc), and beautiful places where we could get a real photo mode (gaining XP by taking pictures of your car in magnificent landscapes), while using road cars for the open world and once you go on the track you take your race car do your race and continue (or even keep your open world car for the sunday cups). By implementing the 19 real tracks from GT6 + Pikes Peak and TT and all the areas around and routes, it would not make the work much more heavy than before (considering you don't start from scratch and that you don't have to make new nonexistent tracks).

And when you need to go from europe to japan or japan to america you get the chance to go to an airport with your car and have a cut scene of you travelling in a cargo plane wiht your staff and your car (How hard can it be to include a cut scene like this. And when you arrive you get the shock of culture with the annoucer at the airport talking in the language of the country authorithes welcomng you, and then you go get your car set the sat nav on and travel to the next race).

Like just imagine making routes before and after the pikes peak stage where you could just relax and take pictures drive around (get rewards and xp and stuff or even copy the barnfind system of FH, I actually feel that it would come in handy so well in the GT philosophy, Imagine getting old cars like the first merc and then going on the road with it).

I feel that it's time for GT to renew itself, and that it is not the real driving simulator anymore. While the gameplay is more than enjoyable, it's more and more permissive for the player, and no one would really mind using it in an open-world gameplay phases.

That would be also the opportunity to include bikes (and symbolic motorcycle races like the TT), as kaz has always wanted to do in GT. 400 cars + 100 bikes would be perfect.
It's totally my idea Too
So you have road cars to free roam through the roads or to go from your home/garage to the track you will race and the racing cars you will jump in for the race when you arrive
The idea of driving from your home to the specific city of a manufacturer to have access to the dealer or taking photos in particolar landscapes (for example the Colosseo in Rome or the Great Canyon) is a Great idea too
Ofc you can still use your road cars on tracks in specific trackdays and eventually you can modify selected road cars with racing kits to race with them (losing the possibility to drive in the normal roads though)
Make all the travelling optional (so racing enthusiasts are not forced to drive hours to buy race cars and then take them to the track) and this is a GT game i would buy at day one ;)

Hi, I just signed up to this forum and I've been playing Gran Turismo since I was a little kid back in the day. Im not sure if the developers go through these forums but I wanted to know if there's any hope at all in a seperate freeroam GT experience? I'm on ps4 obviously and we are lacking quality open world racing games right now... forza is killing Sony in this aspect at the moment. I understand GT has always been track based but jeez, we need an exclusive open world racing game with truly good physics. Come on Sony what are you guys doing?!?!

Forza does both. I'm asking GT to do both, don't stop with the track based games I'm not asking them to stop making the games they have been making for years. I'm asking them to make a new series to run alongside the current one. I'm on ps4 just like you, name one quality open world racer we have access to with truly good physics.

Forza does both. I'm asking GT to do both, don't stop with the track based games I'm not asking them to stop making the games they have been making for years. I'm asking them to make a new series to run alongside the current one. I'm on ps4 just like you, name one quality open world racer we have access to with truly good physics.

So what if forza do? What if they concentrated their efforts on just one of those games and made it better?

I would hate for PD to make a seperate title and lack the resources to keep making GT awesome. But that’s just my opinion.

I know that 2 different developers work on the forza games. That's what I want PD to do. GT is superior to forza motorsport games but we have nothing to counter the horizon games. Ps4 is garbage in this regard.

Why would Polyphony even want to target the open world racing market? You are saying that Horizon do it well and you want them to do something like that, but well, what's PD going to achieve by doing something similar? Nothing. That won't sell more PS4's and hence they won't get much support from Sony for it, because it isn't a unique idea.

That's partially why GT Sport is so unique (for console racers) and not just another similar game to the old Forza games, or the old GT Games. It is unique and hence has more potential to be a good exclusive game for the PS4, hence selling more consoles, and hence being worth Sony's money to work with Polyphony.

Anyway, there are open world racers available on PS4. The Crew and Need For Speed, maybe not with realistic physics but oh well. And if you want something the same as Forza Horizon, then here's a tip....buy Forza Horizon (which is why exclusives are a thing because they sell consoles if people want the game so much).

What would they achieve?? Oh I don't know, how about about developing or helping another studio develop the first open world racer with sim physics on ps4. I didn't think this forum was this close-minded, holy ****.

What would they achieve?? Oh I don't know, how about about developing or helping another studio develop the first open world racer with sim physics on ps4. I didn't think this forum was this close-minded, holy ****.

You are the close minded one here. Do you really think it's feasible for PD to develop a massive open world game with dynamic time of day, weather and seasons when they are already slow to develop tracks with non of those features in GTS?

I doubt that Kaz would want another studio doing a GT licensed game. The GT brand is his baby. Tbh I wouldn’t want to see GT get diluted like that either.

Last edited:

Jesus....I'm not 'close-minded', I'm just asking a business-related question

So, you are saying that it could be the first open world racer with simulation physics, on PS4?
Okay, do you really think that will sell well? No. Open World Racing games work best when you can fly at ridiculous speeds and have ridiculous fun drifting and crashing through fences etc. They don't work when you have to control tyre wear, avoid locking up etc while struggling to get above 80mph without losing traction. Those sort of physics are much better suited to a circuit style racing game.

Also, you need to understand that you may want an open world racing game with simulation physics, but that it is unlikely that millions of people do. If Sony were going to be onboard with this and help the funding of this along with PD, you'd really have to expect at a very minimum, 1 Million Sales, and that's a bare minimum.

I love racing games. I love simulated physics. But not even I would be massively keen on it being open world based as I just don't think that works in terms of entertainment. So what are 'normal' players going to think, if you aren't even getting GT Planet members interested?

It's not that we are close-minded. Most people here have grown up playing GT and know how PD operate. Gran Turismo is Kaz's baby and he has his own vision of what he wants the game to be. Right now he's concentrating on E-sports. I believe this is what he envisioned all along for GT and it's finally coming to fruition. PD is using all it's resources to keep updating GTS as it was released rather light on content compared to previous GT titles and other racing games. The reason for this is because Kaz has set such high standards for graphics and such that it takes a long time to even create one car yet alone more tracks. Sure I would like to see an open world racing game too, just don't expect it to come from PD.

So what if forza do? What if they concentrated their efforts on just one of those games and made it better?
They do only concentrate on one game.

I know that 2 different developers work on the forza games. That's what I want PD to do. GT is superior to forza motorsport games but we have nothing to counter the horizon games. Ps4 is garbage in this regard.
GTS being superior depends on what aspect of the game you're looking at. They both have some good strengths that the other doesn't.

Why would Polyphony even want to target the open world racing market? You are saying that Horizon do it well and you want them to do something like that, but well, what's PD going to achieve by doing something similar? Nothing. That won't sell more PS4's and hence they won't get much support from Sony for it, because it isn't a unique idea.
They'd be able to span over a wider market. They can very likely get those that aren't too fond of sim-type games more interested in their own take on simulation by giving them a taste of the lighter side of things potentially getting them interested in the more sim-focused brother.. Why wouldn't they sell more PS4's? It's a highly regarded developer that would have footing in multiple parts of the racing genres, that would be appealing to a wider market. Racing games in general aren't unique idea's, and neither is GTS, really.

That's partially why GT Sport is so unique (for console racers) and not just another similar game to the old Forza games, or the old GT Games. It is unique and hence has more potential to be a good exclusive game for the PS4, hence selling more consoles, and hence being worth Sony's money to work with Polyphony.
GTS isn't unique though. Pcars existed well before GTS, and they very much flow in a very similar genre, which is classed based, strict BOM racing, both pushing into eSports.

So, you are saying that it could be the first open world racer with simulation physics, on PS4?
Okay, do you really think that will sell well? No. Open World Racing games work best when you can fly at ridiculous speeds and have ridiculous fun drifting and crashing through fences etc. They don't work when you have to control tyre wear, avoid locking up etc while struggling to get above 80mph without losing traction. Those sort of physics are much better suited to a circuit style racing game.
What exactly would make it not sell too good? Entry level physics like you see in the games like Forza Motorsport and GTS would work absolutely wonderfully in an open world setting, in my opinion. Even more so, if it's too difficult, that's what the multitude of aids is for that make these game more accessible. I think those types of physics can be fit hand in hand with a game like this, because it's not like they're leading in the most demanding physics anyways, they're easily accessible games.

Also, you need to understand that you may want an open world racing game with simulation physics, but that it is unlikely that millions of people do. If Sony were going to be onboard with this and help the funding of this along with PD, you'd really have to expect at a very minimum, 1 Million Sales, and that's a bare minimum.
I like how you just make up stuff on the fly to try to support your opinion :lol:. Can I borrow that time machine, please?

I love racing games. I love simulated physics. But not even I would be massively keen on it being open world based as I just don't think that works in terms of entertainment. So what are 'normal' players going to think, if you aren't even getting GT Planet members interested?
It would work just fine. These games aren't very demanding with their physics engine in the first place, and that's also what aids are for. GTPlanet interest? why would that matter? We're a very small fish in a huge pond, and not only that, you're again making up something to prove your point, pretending that there's literally 0% interest.

Last edited:
Back