Gran Turismo Open World Game?

Does anybody know how the driving physics compare between standard Forza and Horizon? Does the driving actually feel exactly the same between titles?

Anything is possible.

Let's say PD offer the course maker again. Coupled with the GPS-data-logger, it could be possible.

Take the Tokyo Expressway. We have that. Now add the off ramps and surrounding streets. Those could be added in the data logger. Maybe Nissan are approached, to allow people to experience the GT-R in a virtual test drive. Start from the dealership, drive around some streets in town and hit the Expressway or winding roads.

Look at the tracks available in the link above. Mount Panorama. I've driven to it and drove on it. Recording a route, say 6kms out in any direction, from the track, would be enough of an open world experience for that location.

If PD were to do one, I don't see them do NG it like the other games. I can see players getting 15 second penalties for going thru yellows. Disqualified for running red lights. Time of day traffic(night no traffic, rush hour, early morning light traffic).

I don't see it happening, but then no one saw some of those features(course creator and data logger) coming.

Does anybody know how the driving physics compare between standard Forza and Horizon? Does the driving actually feel exactly the same between titles?
There are pretty like for like but Horizon feels like all they did was added a good bit of extra grip to the cars. It's a good leap ahead of NFS and the Crew, even with it's simplified physics.

If you have pc, I recommend get horizon on that platform. You don't have to buy Xbox for horizon. Microsoft exclusive going be pc anyway. you could save a lot money.
Oh yeah one more thing, gran turismo is not build for that. That what not target audience they aim for. It track racing game and focus on Motorsport aspect to it with real racing this time around with real people. It just my opinion on this matter.

It is unique and hence has more potential to be a good exclusive game for the PS4, hence selling more consoles, and hence being worth Sony's money to work with Polyphony.
That's a strange way to look at it (even if GT Sport actually was unique to begin with), since it's on track to potentially be the worst selling one yet.

So, you are saying that it could be the first open world racer with simulation physics, on PS4?
Okay, do you really think that will sell well? No.

Hell, I'd buy that. In fact, I was having a similar thought the other day while reading about how GT Sport seems like another prolongue to some. I thought "GTS is purely focused on competitive racing, and that's great. But what about a parallel title with gt auto, tuning and aero, gt realism and an open world to play in?"

The idea is not that much of a stretch seeing as how similar titles have sold (and sold well) for a long time now. Forza horizon is great when you just want to do a custom build and hoon the crap out of it, and that's a concept that appeals to most car enthusiasts. If you add GT's refinement and maturity to that equation then I think it'll be an absolute hit.

And so what if it's been done before? Racing games weren't exactly a new thing when the first GT came out, and it still managed to stand out and create a cult following...

From what i'm seeing there is a really big amount of people that love open world games so i think from a marketing perspective it could sell a lot more than GT but i don't thing PD is ever going to do something like that! Actually there is no way that can happen:)

What would they achieve?? Oh I don't know, how about about developing or helping another studio develop the first open world racer with sim physics on ps4. I didn't think this forum was this close-minded, holy ****.

You've probably come to the wrong place if you're looking for support for an open world racer ala Forza Horizon. At the risk of sounding snobbish, the GT crowd is a bit more serious than that and I think it would be a mistake for GT to go down that route. It would weaken the GT brand and PD has their plate full with GTS as it is.

I think something like that is probably best left to a brand like the Need For Speed franchise.

I'm not much interested in an open-world GT title.

However, I would not mind like 3 or 4 tracks that are similar to the the Sierra time trial from GT6. I didn't race on it enough times to learn it, so each time I chose to drive on it, it was like racing through a country back road.

You've probably come to the wrong place if you're looking for support for an open world racer ala Forza Horizon. At the risk of sounding snobbish, the GT crowd is a bit more serious than that and I think it would be a mistake for GT to go down that route.

I'm sorry but I can't relate to this statement and I really hope that I'm not the only one.

Don't get me wrong, I love that GT sport offers an arena for serious and competitive online racing, but even I get bored of turning laps and grinding dailies.

The idea behind Forza Horizon appeals to me plenty, but I don't own an Xbox and I honestly do think it could do with more realism. Which brings me to my next point...

I think something like that is probably best left to a brand like the Need For Speed franchise.

Need for speed has been ruining this concept for many years now, and it's gone wayyy too "beginner-friendly. "
A more serious and mature option for PS4 would be very well received i think.
I know that Kaz and PD will Never get attempt it, and they just don't have the personnel and resources to make a second title happen even if they did. But I gotta admit that i do like the thought of it...

Online rooms at Tokyo R246, were close to open worlds. I've been in rooms where la Sarthe had two-way traffic.
The barriers just need to be removed and roads extended.

PD no doubt, would want the surroundings accurate. However, all we need are roads. The surroundings can be rendered with artistic licence.

Don't hold your breath. But we were promised a free-roam mode in GT5. And a livery editor IIRC. One down, one to go..

I respect your opinion, but my answer to this question is...

Hi, I just signed up to this forum and I've been playing Gran Turismo since I was a little kid back in the day. Im not sure if the developers go through these forums but I wanted to know if there's any hope at all in a seperate freeroam GT experience? I'm on ps4 obviously and we are lacking quality open world racing games right now... forza is killing Sony in this aspect at the moment. I understand GT has always been track based but jeez, we need an exclusive open world racing game with truly good physics. Come on Sony what are you guys doing?!?!

NOOOOOO

That long ass Tokyo track that GT5 had was "free roam" enough for me.

Need For Speed '15 taught me that open world element to a racing game is much lamer than you'd think.

One of the things I hate is that Horizon has much simpler handling that Motorsport main.

THere is a cost to free roam... I'm not opposed to it but I would prefer if it didnt have the shortcuts Horizon had.

I can imagine Gran Turismo, Tokyo Drift edition... just load up more of the Tokyo Express, Special Stage Route 7, r246 etc.

Some of the ideas in here are as bad as the one about opening the Nürburgring car park so we could all take our cars there to meet other drivers in game.

Hi, I just signed up to this forum and I've been playing Gran Turismo since I was a little kid back in the day. Im not sure if the developers go through these forums but I wanted to know if there's any hope at all in a seperate freeroam GT experience? I'm on ps4 obviously and we are lacking quality open world racing games right now... forza is killing Sony in this aspect at the moment. I understand GT has always been track based but jeez, we need an exclusive open world racing game with truly good physics. Come on Sony what are you guys doing?!?!
What is Sony doing? They're winning this generation by a wide margin, that's what.

Horizon is good so save up some money and buy an Xbone. Brand loyalty is silly, play what you want.

Yep. go buy an Xbox. They are as low as $200 us here on special and Horizon is pretty well priced.

My feeling about car racing on consoles is that it feels like you need *some* representation however you dont need to do the annual/bi-annual tag team of Forza M/H to get 100 mil. plus consoles sold.

I feel like things like God of War and The Last of Us push Sony consoles more than driving genre. Its Blops2 they are giving away not GTS.

Some may see that as complaceny... you would be needing to invest $50-100mil. (???) in to get a Horizon competitor on PS4 and I'm guessing they dont see it as necessary.

I feel like Driveclub was the PS4's arcade racer with solid physics. Shame the developers got cut.

Somebody still owns all that code though - I'd love some open world driving in Driveclub skins.

DriveClub was awesome, yet I wouldn't want an open world version. The tracks are all well thought out, have great flow and have their own personality. You don't get that with open world racers. I know all the DC tracks like the back of my hand, yet can't remember much of Forza Horizon, The Crew, any NFS nor TDU (except long boring highways). Sim physics won't make it any better, was Driver a better game than GTA?

Races always feel like an afterthought in open world racing games. Might as well scrap the racing altogether and play Euro truck simulator :)

There is little to no hope of a free roam GT game.
Didn't Kaz say around the time of GT5 that he might want a city driving section for GT?

Nothing like Forza Horizon but it would be free roaming :)

Wrecking cars and people would make it problematic though. GT needs to keep it's glossy car catalogue feel.

Didn't Kaz say around the time of GT5 that he might want a city driving section for GT?

Nothing like Forza Horizon but it would be free roaming :)

Wrecking cars and people would make it problematic though. GT needs to keep it's glossy car catalogue feel.
That's what I'd think PD would do. Look at the demo's. Cars driving around in Scapes.

It'd be funny if the driving tests had parallel parking. Gold if you don't hit the bumpers of parked cars. Silver for getting close to the curb. Bronze for just getting it in the parking space.

Back