Gran Turismo Open World Game?

I think it’s just a matter of time. In GT6 they opened up quite a few of the new tracks, like Ascari, Willow Springs, Silverstone and the Moon, taking one small step away from strictly circuit racing.

Wow, sorry but for me it's a big NO, and I don't get why they would do that. There's a lot of reasons to not do this, one being that GT always tried to be "classy" (see the menus, ambiance, etc...), being another free roam game would totaly ruin the branding strategy that they have set year after year.

Otherwise, on the "realist" hand, I rarely see circuits cars on the public roads here in France, I guess they travel by truck :)

More seriously, a more realist driving feel in a free roam game would be cool, but no need to be PD for this, any studio can achieve that, they just have to want to make it this way

Otherwise, on the "realist" hand, I rarely see circuits cars on the public roads here in France, I guess they travel by truck :)

More seriously, a more realist driving feel in a free roam game would be cool, but no need to be PD for this, any studio can achieve that, they just have to want to make it this way

They have already done our countries in Horizon... Colorado, then France/Italy, Australia and now UK.

Its a big job, like Turn10 farmed it out to Playground who are now a Microsoft company, so these two companies basically make ONE game each admittedly sharing a lot of assets.

PD is full up on this game so unless Sony want to invest in a 2nd studio to JUST do this...

Why not let every track focused racing game to have a open world variant. PCars, Assetto Corsa, F1 2018, Dirt Rally, iRacing, Raceroom and so on.

Oh hell no! This would ruin the game for me.

Or maybe, the only free-roam option would be, to drive to your race track with a Truck and then unload your race car in the pits!? PD could team up with Euro-truck simulator for this :D

What about Modball Rally, Gumball 3000, Cannonball Run? Surely not GT3 cars but still many trackspecced cars nonetheless.

Open World GT game? Not gonna happen. It's not who they are and i think the studio is also too small for that. Plus Kaz is a simulator fanatic so he would not want to go the more arcadey route. If anything, GT Sport showed us that he is basically ready to alienate even core GT gamers by making the game more niche.

Hi, I just signed up to this forum and I've been playing Gran Turismo since I was a little kid back in the day. Im not sure if the developers go through these forums but I wanted to know if there's any hope at all in a seperate freeroam GT experience? I'm on ps4 obviously and we are lacking quality open world racing games right now... forza is killing Sony in this aspect at the moment. I understand GT has always been track based but jeez, we need an exclusive open world racing game with truly good physics. Come on Sony what are you guys doing?!?!

But that’s what those games do, this is what GT does. If you want an open world racer go play one?

I want to race around a track many times with good physics and great graphics, GT Sport is the one for me.

Forza does both. I'm asking GT to do both, don't stop with the track based games I'm not asking them to stop making the games they have been making for years. I'm asking them to make a new series to run alongside the current one. I'm on ps4 just like you, name one quality open world racer we have access to with truly good physics.

I really dont care if there is an open world raceing game under GT brand, but id love to play forza horizon on ps4. Just dont want to buy one x just for horizon..

There was at one point, during GT5's development, Kaz was talking about a making a virtual city where gran turismo players can drive around and meet up. I can't source it because ive not looked into it but i do remember him mentioning it. For now, there is the open lobby. I would actually like to see how the virtual city thing would play out.

I think this could be a terrific idea. But it has to be a unique IP. My suggestion would be a game where the setting is on and around existing circuits. Taking making the roads, cities and environment around it like it is around the real circuit. Make hybrids areas between the two circuits (you could place some of the PD original circuits in these hybrid biomes (hint hint, notch notch, say no more say no more...)).
Make the story about being a racing driver with the aspiration to be the champion of some random class of racing, but to achieve this you have to battle through a bunch of other classes. Beginning in a Sunday cup esq event.
Make all the assets interchangeable with the main GT series so both can be expanded and handle the development of to a second PD team or one with equivalent experience (I would be looking at you Evolution Studios).

Imagine driving from the green hell to dragons trail via Monza, but deciding to take a detour trough Switzerland to visit a eigner Nordwand for a few fun laps. That would be bloody terrific.

This would build on the heritage from previous GT games and definitely play to its strong points. PD could even do something with their rally aspirations. This would get a backlash knowing this community, but think about it. You could avoid it and get the cars like the RCZ GR.B for tarmac rally in the Swiss Alps.

Writing this I realise how glad I would be to play it, even if it was sold at a higher price.

What about Modball Rally, Gumball 3000, Cannonball Run? Surely not GT3 cars but still many trackspecced cars nonetheless.
I know these, but it's still uncommon for race cars to be on public roads, if not forbidden... Memories ! :

I can't imagine than a GT game would let us crash into the traffic or into police cars, there's plenty of other games for that. And if you respect the law, it makes driving a lambo on public road a lot more boring I guess :D

It would be cool if they could have an open world to drive from dealership to dealership, track to track though obviously not to scale.
I remember there being a map of some sort in the background on the original Gran Turismo, leading to different dealerships and what not.
But the Crew 2 is out soon, and doesn't feel any different than gt sport.

Actually that is fine idea. It's been around in my head for years wondering what if PD decided to make standalone title and give us huge map around Japan and driving various range of cars from Kei cars to hypercar roaming through various cities. Why Japan if you ask it is because where PD headquarters were located and as Japanese developer it would be easier and logical to make open world game based on their homeland without doing such lengthy research in my opinion. Also, kinda saving the production costs.

However, the chance now is unlikely though since they still focusing some of the elements in GTS, although all people can dream...

Oh hell no! This would ruin the game for me.

Or maybe, the only free-roam option would be, to drive to your race track with a Truck and then unload your race car in the pits!? PD could team up with Euro-truck simulator for this :D
Hmmm... GT1 intro did show the GT-R LM being unloaded from its transport.
Fast forward to now and your FIA cars are delivered by truck. This is the first of the next phase for GT games. A sort of "GT1". ;)

Hmmm... GT1 intro did show the GT-R LM being unloaded from its transport.
Fast forward to now and your FIA cars are delivered by truck. This is the first of the next phase for GT games. A sort of "GT1". ;)

Next game......GTT "the real truck simulator" :lol:

I'm telling you, driving your transport, I can see this:

- How many kilometres can you stick to the speed limit?

- Get your cars to the track on time.

- Mileage Exchange offer optional lights to adorn your rig

- navigate to your designated parking spot in Northern Isle Speedway

:sly:

Well so far the general consensus seems to agree :guilty:
The general consensus of the what, maybe 30 people on a fan board who have posted in this thread? Only ~3.3 million other people to poll!

I don’t have anything against open world racers - I just don’t believe the GT community cares much for it.
It certainly doesn't seem like the GT community, meaning the people who actually drive the series' success and not people who post on this forum who act like they do, cares much for GT Sport. The amount of people who seem to have bought the game, logged in maybe once and then never touched it again is rather dramatic. Why hasn't that weakened the GT brand, but a hypothetical game with more widespread appeal than possibly even the classic GT games and traditional GT production values would?

Last edited:
The general consensus of the what, maybe 30 people on a fan board who have posted in this thread? Only ~3.3 million other people to poll!

It certainly doesn't seem like the GT community, meaning the people who actually drive the series' success and not people who post on this forum who act like they do, cares much for GT Sport. The amount of people who seem to have bought the game, logged in maybe once and then never touched it again is rather dramatic. Why hasn't that weakened the GT brand, but a hypothetical game with more widespread appeal than possibly even the classic GT games and traditional GT production values would?

If the "small changes" brought by GTsport to the series are such a problem, I can only imagine how much more whinning we would get with an open road GT8 version :D

Take a look at the GT5 trophy stats. 21.3% completed the beginner series. The amount of people who just buy games never to play them is astounding, it's probably even worse on PC with the steam sales.. at least when they used to be good.

If the "small changes" brought by GTsport to the series are such a problem, I can only imagine how much more whinning we would get with an open road GT8 version :D
GTS brought some pretty massive changes, not small at all. It's core game was basically reworked. There's nothing small about the changes that happened as those changes include taking steps back, as well as taking steps forward.

I think this could be an interesting concept- what about adding some real-world routes as time trial or power tour events? Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway? M22 up the Lake Michigan shoreline? Colonial Parkway, Yorktown to Jamestown- 14 twisty miles or so- perfect! Or some urban beltways? I-64/664 around Hampton Roads would be epic- HRBT, MMBT and the High Rise Bridge at 170+! Or the DC/MD/VA Capital Beltway? The Montgomery County "Roller Coaster" section could be a rush. Pick a favorite road from your own experience...

It certainly doesn't seem like the GT community, meaning the people who actually drive the series' success and not people who post on this forum who act like they do, cares much for GT Sport.

I don't know - GTS seemed pretty well-received to me. It just seems to be the purists that keep on slating it, which can indeed be very full of themselves.

The amount of people who seem to have bought the game, logged in maybe once and then never touched it again is rather dramatic. Why hasn't that weakened the GT brand, but a hypothetical game with more widespread appeal than possibly even the classic GT games and traditional GT production values would?

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration TBH. Lots of games have that issue. But you should ask Kaz that question - there must be a reason why he hasn't felt the need to go in that direction for 21 years. Apparently there was talk about it for GT5, but never happened.

I don't know - GTS seemed pretty well-received to me. It just seems to be the purists that keep on slating it, which can indeed be very full of themselves.
It's people from all types of backgrounds that have had an sort of issue with it. That was reflected well in the reviews upon release.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration TBH. Lots of games have that issue. But you should ask Kaz that question - there must be a reason why he hasn't felt the need to go in that direction for 21 years. Apparently there was talk about it for GT5, but never happened.
How so? There's something like 80% of close to 4-5 million accounts that have done one sport mode race yet. Not too much of an exaggeration to be honest. The game is selling well compared to the market, but the activity within is a bit odd when you look at the statistics that are floating around.

Back