Gran Turismo Sport 1.31 Update Now Available: 7 New Cars, New Tokyo Track and More

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 591 comments
The best of GT Sport's models are definitely the best on PS4, but some are just down right inexcusably bad. From the best to some of the worst. Where as Driveclub's are of a consistently excellent level. Just not quite as good as GT Sport's best but nothing near as shockingly bad as their lower quality models. That is not to say that PD's assets are not good enough for future generations, but what is evident of their representation on their current game, quality control is lacking and the modellers are of varying skill.
View attachment 785200
McLaren 650S GT3's low quality is the worst I have seen in GT Sport
View attachment 785202
Compared to the almost perfect looking F50's. Which is one of the most consistently well modelled cars I have seen in the game.
View attachment 785203
Ironically, a big culprit of low quality modelling is the the F50's replacement in the Enzo, with these Flintstone shape wheels.
View attachment 785204
Compared to it's older brother, the F50 with a perfectly round rim, but with a low quality lug nut cover.
View attachment 785205
Enzo found guilty again.
View attachment 785208
The almost perfect F50 again.
View attachment 785209
Would cut your hands on those vents on the Enzo.
View attachment 785210
F50's are a lot more comfortable to handle.
View attachment 785211
This looks likes it's from a basic pixel design maker from a PS2 game? Nope, it's from the Enzo in GT Sport
View attachment 785214
The F50 doing the Scuderia proud.
View attachment 785215
Guess what the offending car this is from?
View attachment 785216
Guess PD love the F50 as much as I do.

All the attached pictures were taken within minutes of each other, in the photo mode during replays and with the latest patch installed. And transferred via USB from the in game library, for no loss of picture quality.

Yes, in scapes mode the cars are of an even higher level. But the meat and potatoes of the game is on track. And GT Sport doesn't have a Photo Travel mode like GT5 & 6, with it's dynamic camera to really appreciate all the high quality details of the car models, so a lot of their hard work is lost. And while on track, GT Sport has to run at 60fps, Driveclub has to process possibly the best weather system ever seen in a racing game, during it's time, and which still holds up well today. I am in no way attacking GT Sport, but to claim PD are far ahead of the pack in car modelling just isn't true - certainly not in quality control. Seeing as GT Sport is an ongoing project, we might see a patch that rectifies some of these imperfections. But I do think Driveclub is getting unwarranted flak, while PD and GT Sport are being looked at through rose tinted glasses. Considering the budget that Evolution studios probably had at their disposal - and I am fully aware of the troubles Driveclub had during it's release - compared to Polyphony's, their modellers should be commended. So should Polyphony - which they deservedly do - just not at Evolution's expense, as I feel people are not looking in detail.

Enjoy the pictures.

Bonus: Here is some GT Sport and Polyphony Digital, F50 appreciation from me.

GT Sport's sounds are very close to the real thing in car and better than it's competitors in my opinion. Third person, too many different factors and none sound close.

Glad to see the F50 is probably one of the most accurately created and enjoyable cars in GT Sport. Suck it, sheep F40 fans (only joking). :D

PD's turnaround in the sound department has been nothing short of amazing. Going from one of the worst to now having the best sounds for a lot of vehicles.

@GT6mebe They probably haven't had a chance to change the bag and filter on their office vacuum cleaner?! :sly:

Last edited:
The top engine option for the '63 was the 360 hp fuel injected 327 and this is the one used in the GTS version.
Notice the fuel injection emblem on the front fenders.
Also the GTS car has the optional 4 speed manual transmission.

Edit: I just started up GT6 to look at the car. I knew that the power was rated at 249 hp which is close to what the actual base engine with carburetor was factory rated (250 hp).
However, the car has the fuel injection emblem on the front fenders!
PD sold us a car with the wrong engine in it! I demand a refund of all the credits I spent to buy this car in all the factory colors.:lol:

I remember the C2 in GT1, AI was driving it crazy fast... I think it had something like 420-430hp stock...

The gap between tracks/cars and features is getting bigger with each update. It's like a prologue with lots of cars and tracks, the game is not designed for that IMO.
:(
I don't think that's fair because the game started out with a paltry track and car roster. The track list was especially disappointing at launch. This post to me at least seems dismissive of the hard work that's been put in to make the game bigger.

The best of GT Sport's models are definitely the best on PS4, but some are just down right inexcusably bad. From the best to some of the worst. Where as Driveclub's are of a consistently excellent level. Just not quite as good as GT Sport's best but nothing near as shockingly bad as their lower quality models. That is not to say that PD's assets are not good enough for future generations, but what is evident of their representation on their current game, quality control is lacking and the modellers are of varying skill.
View attachment 785200
View attachment 785202
Compared to the almost perfect looking F50's. Which is one of the most consistently well modelled cars I have seen in the game.
View attachment 785203
Ironically, a big culprit of low quality modelling is the the F50's replacement in the Enzo, with these Flintstone shape wheels.
View attachment 785204
Compared to it's older brother, the F50 with a perfectly round rim, but with a low quality lug nut cover.
View attachment 785205
Enzo found guilty again.
View attachment 785208
View attachment 785209
View attachment 785210
View attachment 785211
This looks likes it's from a basic pixel design maker from a PS2 game? Nope, it's from the Enzo in GT Sport
View attachment 785214
View attachment 785215
View attachment 785216

All the attached pictures were taken within minutes of each other, in the photo mode during replays and with the latest patch installed. And transferred via USB from the in game library, for no loss of picture quality.

Yes, in scapes mode the cars are of an even higher level. But the meat and potatoes of the game is on track. And GT Sport doesn't have a Photo Travel mode like GT5 & 6, with it's dynamic camera to really appreciate all the high quality details of the car models, so a lot of their hard work is lost. And while on track, GT Sport has to run at 60fps, Driveclub has to process possibly the best weather system ever seen in a racing game, during it's time, and which still holds up well today. I am in no way attacking GT Sport, but to claim PD are far ahead of the pack in car modelling just isn't true - certainly not in quality control. Seeing as GT Sport is an ongoing project, we might see a patch that rectifies some of these imperfections. But I do think Driveclub is getting unwarranted flak, while PD and GT Sport are being looked at through rose tinted glasses. Considering the budget that Evolution studios probably had at their disposal - and I am fully aware of the troubles Driveclub had during it's release - compared to Polyphony's, their modellers should be commended. So should Polyphony - which they deservedly do - just not at Evolution's expense, as I feel people are not looking in detail.

Enjoy the pictures.

GT Sport's sounds are very close to the real thing in car and better than it's competitors in my opinion. Third person, too many different factors and none sound close.

Glad to see the F50 is probably one of the most accurately created and enjoyable cars in GT Sport. Suck it, sheep F40 fans (only joking). :D

All you've proven is that the F50 has a better LOD model in Race photo mode (which is usually awful TBH)

If you want to make comparisons, you should use Scapes mode. You'll find a drastically different result.

This is sensationalist nonsense at best

View attachment 785200
View attachment 785202
View attachment 785203
View attachment 785204
View attachment 785205
Enzo found guilty again.
View attachment 785208
View attachment 785209
View attachment 785210
View attachment 785211
View attachment 785214
View attachment 785215
View attachment 785216

these are not the full detailed models that will be used on PS5, these are just low-LOD models used ingame due to the compromises that the low power of PS4 requires... if you want to see the details of the cars there is a specific mode with the full LOD models...

All you've proven is that the F50 has a better LOD model in Race photo mode (which is usually wawful TBH)

If you want to make comparisons, you should use Scapes mode. You'll find a drastically different result.

This is sensationalist nonsense at best

And yet the level of detail of the F50 is better than DC's models in race mode and the Enzo's is worse than DC's models in race mode. And as you admit that the models as "awful" during race mode, all you have done is agree with me. This proves the quality control is uneven during a race and at times inferior to other games. The F50 and Enzo are at exactly these same varying levels of detail during any race for me. Since when is scapes mode the only yardstick to judge car models? I even said that AT THEIR BEST, PD's car models are the best. Come back with something of more substance than your weak insults. How is it "sensationalist nonsense" when I have quite clearly stating what I am showing? You are in need of a dictionary and possibly some manners.

Last edited:
Project Cars models??
No way, unless @IanBell has another say on that...

If anything close to that ever happens (Spoiler alert: This is never going to happen), there must be a lot of implications that SMS/PD must overcome to make their assets mutually compatible.

No way, unless @IanBell has another say on that...

If anything close to that ever happens (Spoiler alert: This is never going to happen), there must be a lot of implications that SMS/PD must overcome to make their assets mutually compatible.

I don't know where that guy got the rumour from? :odd:

Maybe he got mixed up with the Driveclub models rumour which was untrue.

@ARTAsean I actually was going to post this along with the other pictures and decided not to. Guess I should have gone with my first thought and saved myself the trouble of ill researched jibes. So here is picture straight from the scapes mode.
PS_Messages_20181208_234806.jpg

Stock wheels on the Diablo GT. Check it out for yourselves as I am sure possibly everyone here has a copy of GT Sport. "But, but... The assets are perfect and future proof and not all the models are like that and will be fixed in a future patch!" is what I will probably here from people who want to change the goalposts again. Or even more ridiculous things as bring up that the PS5 version of GT will have even better models. A machine and console no member of the public has seen yet and would obviously be better as they are both newer.

I love this game and play it everyday, but please learn to take fair criticism the right way or do what I did: post pictures to prove your statements. These pictures are tangible facts, not opinion. Why so angry? Sorry I have turned into some players Grinch during this festive month. 💡

Last edited:
weak insults.

You are in need of a dictionary

and possibly some manners.

. Why so angry?💡

wew lad, lol

I'm sorry that you clearly weren't at all prepared to take criticism for that pointless novella of a post you made. Since english clearly isn't your first language I will lay it out easy for ya.

You made a claim - "look how inconsistent these cars are"

I made a rebuttal - "this is disingenuous, use Scapes Mode"

Calm down, it's not the end of the world. No one is attacking you or your character, just put more thought into the assertations you make.

@ARTAsean I actually was going to post this along with the other pictures and decided not to. Guess I should have gone with my first thought and saved myself the trouble of ill researched jibes. So here is picture straight from the scapes mode.
View attachment 785251
Stock wheels on the Diablo GT. Check it out for yourselves as I am sure possibly everyone here has a copy of GT Sport. "But, but... The assets are perfect and future proof and not all the models are like that and will be fixed in a future patch!" is what I will probably here from people who want to change the goalposts again. Or even more ridiculous things as bring up that the PS5 version of GT will have even better models. A machine and console no member of the public has seen yet and would obviously be better as they are both newer.

I love this game and play it everyday, but please learn to take fair criticism the right way or do what I did: post pictures to prove your statements. These pictures are tangible facts, not opinion. Why so angry? Sorry I have turned into some players Grinch during this festive month. 💡

No big deal whether the wheels look low-poly.

PD can just easily subdivide them.

these are not the full detailed models that will be used on PS5, these are just low-LOD models used ingame due to the compromises that the low power of PS4 requires... if you want to see the details of the cars there is a specific mode with the full LOD models...

wew lad, lol

I'm sorry that you clearly weren't at all prepared to take criticism for that pointless novella of a post you made. Since english clearly isn't your first language I will lay it out easy for ya.

You made a claim - "look how inconsistent these cars are"

I made a rebuttal - "this is disingenuous, use Scapes Mode"

Calm down, it's not the end of the world. No one is attacking you or your character, just put more thought into the assertations you make.

I did use scapes mode. As I posted later. And calling my post "sensational nonsense" is certainly an attack by yourself, but you are free to edit and remove that part if you want. My "pointless novella" certainly made a point with you, that you felt compelled to reply to it. It seems more likely that you are unable to take any criticism of GT Sport. And you wish to talk down to me and make it look like it is my comprehension or language skills that are deficient, in a backhanded comment. I just used my given right to defend myself.

No big deal whether the wheels look low-poly.

PD can just easily subdivide them.
Of course they will. 💡 Scapes mode is without reproach I see?! Another unseen rule the I seem to have broken.

Last edited:
View attachment 785251

The Diablo has a tesselletion bug... that rim was perfectly rounded in GT6 (and is perfectly rounded in GTS PD screenshots)... very strange that with over 260 cars you have taken a photo just of that car :lol:

GT6
04rsice.jpg

GTS update promotional image
immaginejjjk1e9i.jpg

GTS current car with bug
rYl9bi.jpg

The same bug was on the Renault Alpine but PD has fixed it with the 1.28 update

before 1.28
201803062033373pdok.jpg

after 1.28
201809261524563dev2.jpg

Last edited:
The Diablo has a tesselletion bug... that rim was perfectly rounded in GT6 (and is perfectly rounded in GTS PD screenshots)... very strange that with over 260 cars you have take a photo just of that car :lol:

GT6
04rsice.jpg

immaginejjjk1e9i.jpg

GTS current car with bug
rYl9bi.jpg

The same bug was on the Renault Alpine but PD have fixed it with the 1.28 update

before 1.28
201803062033373pdok.jpg

after 1.28
201809261524563dev2.jpg

Which is something have been holding out for, as I love the Diablo and is the reason why I noticed it (I have no idea what your laughing emoji insinuates) and find this an irritating oversight on PD's part. As it stands, it is there, bug or not. What is inexcusable is the bad quality of some of the cars on track and my first post on this subject still remains valid. Some are better than on other PS4 games, others are much worse. That is irrefutable. I am not fishing for likes but just stating facts, which some people can not handle and try and disclaim with hot air. I am done on this subject, unless someone has proof to the contrary.

Good day, friends and foes.

Last edited:
View attachment 785200
View attachment 785202
View attachment 785203
View attachment 785204
View attachment 785205
Enzo found guilty again.
View attachment 785208
View attachment 785209
View attachment 785210
View attachment 785211
View attachment 785214
View attachment 785215
View attachment 785216

Enjoy the pictures.

Next tine you going to point this out, you have to remember one very major reason why this such compromises happen:

Driveclub runs at 30 Frame per Second.
GTSport runs at 60 Frame per Second.

I think you know what correlates what.

Next tine you going to point this out, you have to remember one very major reason why this such compromises happen:

Driveclub runs at 30 Frame per Second.
GTSport runs at 60 Frame per Second.

I think you know what correlates what.

I did state it in my post you just quoted. Read it again, please.

But it still doesn't explain the alarming disparity in quality between the F50 and Enzo, as they both appear under the same circumstances. So compromises needing to be made to reach a higher frame rate are not valid, I'm afraid. Scapes and on track are too separate modes, despite people wanting everything about GT's graphics to be judged on the former and not the latter. That is almost the same as basing a games graphics solely on it's in game cutscenes or model viewer mode than during gameplay itself. The gameplay mode is what makes it a "game". Otherwise it is just a glorified portfolio.

Last edited:
View attachment 785200
View attachment 785202
View attachment 785203
View attachment 785204
View attachment 785205
Enzo found guilty again.
View attachment 785208
View attachment 785209
View attachment 785210
View attachment 785211
View attachment 785214
View attachment 785215
View attachment 785216

Enjoy the pictures.

Sorry, but it has nothing to do with modelling, GTSport uses both car models in gameplay and scape. You can check them on different modes, if the car models is terrible in scape and in game, yes that's is poor modelling but if it is only in gameplay that means either they are saving resources by lowering the LOD or it's a bug. The car models in Gran Turismo is top notch, I think you're just mistaking in game LOD as car models which is not.

Last edited:
Sorry, but it has nothing to do with modelling, GTSport uses both car models in gameplay and scape. You can check them on different modes, if the car models is terrible in scape and in game, yes that's is poor modelling but if it is only in gameplay that means either they are saving resources by lowering the LOD or it's a bug. The car models in Gran Turismo is top notch, I think you're just mistaking in game LOD as car models which is not.

No. I am stating in gameplay mode the cars are of varying quality, and have provided proof. Some people just do not want to acknowledge the images I have posted. And have nothing to post to disprove that. The Scapes mode has the luxury of only having to render a 2d background so the car models do benefit greatly from the freed up processing power. And you have provided no proof that car models low quality during gameplay is a bug, as you have stated, or it could well be down to poor quality control. I am not even questioning whether the assets are future proof for PS5 - although that is irrelevant, as lots of console games models are first made on superior spec computers before being ported and a lower quality to consoles. I am talking about GT Sport during gameplay, on a PS4. The Enzo looks awful, the F50 looks amazing, IN GAME, fact! Tired of going on this merry go round with visibly hurt fans who cannot accept FACTS in front of them. Sorry the paint is flaking off your golden goose. I'm off to enjoy some more GT Sport for what it offers. Until then I am going to ignore people's baseless opinions which they are shoddily passing off as fact, without any proof like that I have provided.

Gosh, can people just agree on some photos showing proof that some car models or LOD or tesselation seems to look better or worse on some cars?
This has been proven millions of time and the Subaru WRX STI 2014 is a huge example of LOW LOD in game, as with the Alfa Romeo 4C being the opposite with high LOD.

This can be argued as inconsistency in the level of quality PD provides or it is a tesselation bug which happens to some specific cars occasionaly.

Showing some flaws of the game does not make the game graphics bad in any way possible so can we all just agree on some inconsistent in game quality BEING SHOWN and move along??? Thank you very much!

And yes SCAPES IS WAY BETTER THAN IN-GAME BUT THAT IS BESIDES THE POINT!

Gosh, can people just agree on some photos showing proof that some car models or LOD or tesselation seems to look better or worse on some cars?
This has been proven millions of time and the Subaru WRX STI 2014 is a huge example of LOW LOD in game, as with the Alfa Romeo 4C being the opposite with high LOD.

This can be argued as inconsistency in the level of quality PD provides or it is a tesselation bug which happens to some specific cars occasionaly.

Showing some flaws of the game does not make the game graphics bad in any way possible so can we all just agree on some inconsistent in game quality BEING SHOWN and move along??? Thank you very much!

And yes SCAPES IS WAY BETTER THAN IN-GAME BUT THAT IS BESIDES THE POINT!
Thank you! Now, hopefully, I don't have to reply to every alert that appears in my inbox, having to either defend myself or banging my head about having to repeat what I said in multiple posts earlier. :banghead:

View attachment 785200
View attachment 785202
View attachment 785203
View attachment 785204
View attachment 785205
Enzo found guilty again.
View attachment 785208
View attachment 785209
View attachment 785210
View attachment 785211
View attachment 785214
View attachment 785215
View attachment 785216

Enjoy the pictures.

That's not because the models are of low quality due to artist skill or quality control issues though. The scape car model and race car models are of the same model created by PD, just at different LOD (level of detail) scaling where scape is able to provide the highest LOD. If you look at the Enzo in the scape mode you can clearly see the emblem isn't of that low quality you showed, which means it's not a quality control or modeling issue.

c8GranTurismoSPORT2018.png

And the fact that the F50 emblem resolution is fine, and it isn't something that's even taxing on the hardware, it's clearly more likely to be a bug. Should be easily fixable if you bring it to PD's attention. There are other bugs in the game with the recent patch, like with the recent BMW M3. The front wheel arch is perfectly rounded but there's an LOD bug that causes the rear wheel arches to not have as many polygons. All of these bugs most likely occur since PD is constantly messing with the game code in order to provide monthly updates, and changing even a single line of code could unexpectedly change something else. It took them how many updates now for them to fix the 4k backfires? And apparently PD didn't even know about it despite forum complaints until Lord Protector(?) or another GTPlanet member directly brought its attentions to one of the graphics programmers at an FIA event.

85cGranTurismoSPORT2018.png

Anyway, another thing to take into account is Driveclub also only has a max of 12 cars in a race, all of which has less polygons than GTS models. GTSport has max of 24 car models at once, running at double the framerate.

I also wouldn't call Driveclub's models "consistently excellent" as if they look better or as good as GTS's worst model either, considering the best models in Driveclub are still worst than the worst models in GTSport. The Ferrari Enzo in Driveclub you're praising is clearly worst looking than the "shockingly bad" GTSport model. This isn't to rag on Driveclub as I love that game as well, but to say DC's car models would fit in fine with GTSport's worst models is false in my opinion, and this isn't even taking into account the less realistic shader/material properties in Driveclub.

DC gameplay photomode (highest LOD level since it's time trial with just one car). All of DC's car models consistently exhibit this level of quality.
DRIVECLUB20181208205.png

GTS gameplay photomode (GTS Enzo might actually even be a rare ported GT5 model (non-tessellated) with only upgraded textures/shaders looking at emula comparison thread); whatever the case, it's still higher quality than Driveclub's.
275GranTurismoSPORT2018.png

Last edited:
No. I am stating in gameplay mode the cars are of varying quality, and have provided proof. Some people just do not want to acknowledge the images I have posted. And have nothing to post to disprove that. The Scapes mode has the luxury of only having to render a 2d background so the car models do benefit greatly from the freed up processing power. And you have provided no proof that car models low quality during gameplay is a bug, as you have stated, or it could well be down to poor quality control. I am not even questioning whether the assets are future proof for PS5 - although that is irrelevant, as lots of console games models are first made on superior spec computers before being ported and a lower quality to consoles. I am talking about GT Sport during gameplay, on a PS4. The Enzo looks awful, the F50 looks amazing, IN GAME, fact! Tired of going on this merry go round with visibly hurt fans who cannot accept FACTS in front of them. Sorry the paint is flaking off your golden goose. I'm off to enjoy some more GT Sport for what it offers. Until then I am going to ignore people's baseless opinions which they are shoddily passing off as fact, without any proof like that I have provided.

I'm not butthurt or anything there are inconsistencies in level of detail in gameplay, I'm not denying that. But that's not the fault of the modeller or the modelling isn't ahead of the pack like you implied on your original post. Well, maybe they just can't render high quality on base PS4 that's why they had to tone it down. Emula posted an example of a tesselation bug btw.

The Diablo has a tesselletion bug... that rim was perfectly rounded in GT6 (and is perfectly rounded in GTS PD screenshots)... very strange that with over 260 cars you have take a photo just of that car :lol:

GT6
04rsice.jpg

immaginejjjk1e9i.jpg

GTS current car with bug
rYl9bi.jpg

The same bug was on the Renault Alpine but PD has fixed it with the 1.28 update

before 1.28
201803062033373pdok.jpg

after 1.28
201809261524563dev2.jpg

...the only thing I see is different shadow map applied to the Alpine wheel, is there anytning else I should look at? Browsing from phone lol...

I think some people are idealising the GT franchise here too much :lol:

Guys, however good or bad it might be, GT Sport is only a game (why you have to be mad?). It has its own pros and cons, some things done right, some wrong. And, considering rather small staff of PD compared to other studios, some things might slip through

What's a bigger problem is PD is quite oblivious of most of the bugs and inconsistencies in the game due to lack of feedback: 4k backfires bug (which was only fixed after someone told them in person), this blinking ABS glitch etc. There must be a system to allow PD to communicate with members better. I'm sure PD will be able to resolve most of the bugs faster that way

As for the models, GG on pointing these out and still giving credit where it's due (significantly improved car sounds, for example) @fatkid

I think some people are idealising the GT franchise here too much :lol:

Guys, however good or bad it might be, GT Sport is only a game (why you have to be mad?). It has its own pros and cons, some things done right, some wrong. And, considering rather small staff of PD compared to other studios, some things might slip through

What's a bigger problem is PD is quite oblivious of most of the bugs and inconsistencies in the game due to lack of feedback: 4k backfires bug (which was only fixed after someone told them in person), this blinking ABS glitch etc. There must be a system to allow PD to communicate with members better. I'm sure PD will be able to resolve most of the bugs faster that way

As for the models, GG on pointing these out and still giving credit where it's due (significantly improved car sounds, for example) @fatkid
First and foremost, GTSport is a game and fun should be the most important factor. IMO, a much better AI is more important than a ultra detailed headlight. Standard cars on PS3 was a huge mistake and it's cool that Poly forgot them. The absence of a 360 deg camera in a 2018 racing game is simply crazy. At the end, there is no free garage view so I can't appreciate the details on cars.

:(
I don't think that's fair because the game started out with a paltry track and car roster. The track list was especially disappointing at launch. This post to me at least seems dismissive of the hard work that's been put in to make the game bigger.
I'm amazed by all the free updates with some cars requested for years by the community. It's just a feeling that the game is not made to for all these cars and tracks. For example, there is not a single event for the Aston Vulcan (not in Sport mode or GT League). There is no sense of progression... Though I'm grateful for all the updates.

Back