Gran Turismo Sport 1.43 Update Now Available: Five JDM Cars and Wet Red Bull Ring

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 524 comments
Sadly they messed up the physics of slicks on wet track, but im pretty sure there is no required parameters in current tyre model to adjust this dramatic difference in ss grip dry vs wet. Maybe later with Michelins help..

The thing he keeps saying about slippery racing line when wet i think is just too much to expect from a game other than hardcore sim. Do iRacing or Assetto simulate this? Im ok with the simplification of track dynamics where racing line is assumed more dry and thus grip. Looking at F1 the guys mostly follow racing line when wet. Other but not Verstappen that is - maybe he is relying in this method of more grip outside the line. :odd::lol:

I think the current physics - wet and dry, work better on road cars compared to gr4/3 etc. I enjoyed that mx5 a lot more than gr4/3 i tested. :cheers:
Wet line is basic driving physics, its so noticeable. The difference in lap time while driving on the wet line irl is really big even without wet tires, from my experience.
It's a feature that should be in every game with wet weather.

Wet line is basic driving physics, its so noticeable. The difference in lap time while driving on the wet line irl is really big even without wet tires, from my experience.
It's a feature that should be in every game with wet weather.

But is it simulated in ANY game?

But is it simulated in ANY game?
iRacing and AC have no official wet weather so not there. Forza doesn't but Forza is more arcadey than GTSport in terms of physics imo.
I'm not sure about ACC and PC2, but those games at least simulate aquaplaning, and GTS doesn't even do that.
rFactor 2 does try to simulate it, even though not very well.
But just because they don't, doesn't mean they shouldn't.

I'm not sure about ACC and PC2, but those games at least simulate aquaplaning, and GTS doesn't even do that.

ACC simulates the rain extremely well. The feedback as the track gets wetter/drier, especially when using both wets and drys is excellent. You can definitely aquaplane! Once a drier line gets started, you can see the difference in grip through the lap times.

I was expecting to get a few puddles on track etc with the GT Sport update, but was disappointed to not see any. I have been spoilt by ACC so these rain physics were always going to be a bit simpler by comparison.

The change to the pit times is in my opinion a massive change.

Previously in a custom race when you entered the pits the car went into the pit box almost instantly whereas in sport mode and lobbies there was a 7-10 delay from entering pits to car arriving in box....I'm guessing to simulate car driving down pit lane.

In current version sport mode and lobbies are now the same as custom race making pitstops 7-10 seconds quicker than before.

I tested this in race C earlier.

Previously a pitstop in terms of lap time(based on in and out lap compared to expected laptime) cost around 20 seconds now it's more like 11-12 seconds(that included 20 litres of fuel)making it a much more viable strategy.

This will have a big impact on FIA races bringing much more cars into contention and at least allowing an alternative strategy on non stop races. In a lot of recent races if you couldn't non stop the race became almost pointless but if a stop is only going to cost 10 seconds you at least have a chance.

ACC simulates the rain extremely well. The feedback as the track gets wetter/drier, especially when using both wets and drys is excellent. You can definitely aquaplane! Once a drier line gets started, you can see the difference in grip through the lap times.

I was expecting to get a few puddles on track etc with the GT Sport update, but was disappointed to not see any. I have been spoilt by ACC so these rain physics were always going to be a bit simpler by comparison.
Yeah rain on ACC is a joy even though you don't feel a proper wet line.
Here in GTS I'll give it an 8/10 visually (one thing that really annoys me is how the cars leave no marks on the wet surface), but physics feel lackluster...

Expected this, still disappointed though...
I really wonder how rain can be believably included in VR for open cars like the KTM, open wheelers, convertibles and so on. Might be a reason for not including it at all for PD.

Maybe only rain drops over exterior metal and glass surfaces and that's all. I don't ask for more, it should be enough for me.

Yeah rain on ACC is a joy even though you don't feel a proper wet line.
Here in GTS I'll give it an 8/10 visually (one thing that really annoys me is how the cars leave no marks on the wet surface), but physics feel lackluster...

Visuals - PD have it sorted. Looks good as usual. I wasn't expecting the physics to be ACC level, not should we, but was maybe expecting a little bit more than we got.

The change to the pit times is in my opinion a massive change.

Previously in a custom race when you entered the pits the car went into the pit box almost instantly whereas in sport mode and lobbies there was a 7-10 delay from entering pits to car arriving in box....I'm guessing to simulate car driving down pit lane.

In current version sport mode and lobbies are now the same as custom race making pitstops 7-10 seconds quicker than before.

I tested this in race C earlier.

Previously a pitstop in terms of lap time(based on in and out lap compared to expected laptime) cost around 20 seconds now it's more like 11-12 seconds(that included 20 litres of fuel)making it a much more viable strategy.

This will have a big impact on FIA races bringing much more cars into contention and at least allowing an alternative strategy on non stop races. In a lot of recent races if you couldn't non stop the race became almost pointless but if a stop is only going to cost 10 seconds you at least have a chance.
I guess I'm glad the timing is now at least equal, as I used to use Custom races to test for Lobby events when no-one else was online to drive with, and the total race time always became a maths equation trying to compare it with lobby race times.

I'm disappointed they went that way though.
I would rather have seen the Custom pitlane time extended as opposed to the Lobby pitlane time shortened.
I fear the question of should I do 1 stop or 2 stops has now become significantly easier to answer.
And it's also a dis-incentive to try to no-stop should the situation arise.

But I guess I should test it out before judging too harshly too soon.

Sadly they messed up the physics of slicks on wet track, but im pretty sure there is no required parameters in current tyre model to adjust this dramatic difference in ss grip dry vs wet. Maybe later with Michelins help..

The thing he keeps saying about slippery racing line when wet i think is just too much to expect from a game other than hardcore sim. Do iRacing or Assetto simulate this? Im ok with the simplification of track dynamics where racing line is assumed more dry and thus grip. Looking at F1 the guys mostly follow racing line when wet. Other but not Verstappen that is - maybe he is relying in this method of more grip outside the line. :odd::lol:

I think the current physics - wet and dry, work better on road cars compared to gr4/3 etc. I enjoyed that mx5 a lot more than gr4/3 i tested. :cheers:
I think David Perel in that video is on time trial mode where the grip level is on "low", if you go to a lobby and change the grip level to "real" the difference between wet and slick tires is massive

I'm someone who normally takes part in daily race B or C, along with FIA manufacturers races. I feel like a lot of people fall in to that group, but I don't want to speak for them.

Updates like this one make me think PD is biting off more than they can chew. If 4 times a year we got an update with an actual track and some actual race cars I'd trade that in for the monthly updates in a heartbeat. The monthly updates have added a lot of redundant things to GTS (Toyota Tundra & Special Stage route X are two recent examples).

Happy for the people who are enjoying the road car updates. Just wanted to throw my opinion in there.

I'm someone who normally takes part in daily race B or C, along with FIA manufacturers races. I feel like a lot of people fall in to that group, but I don't want to speak for them.

Updates like this one make me think PD is biting off more than they can chew. If 4 times a year we got an update with an actual track and some actual race cars I'd trade that in for the monthly updates in a heartbeat. The monthly updates have added a lot of redundant things to GTS (Toyota Tundra & Special Stage route X are two recent examples).

Happy for the people who are enjoying the road car updates. Just wanted to throw my opinion in there.
Thank you for saying this, but except to get ripped a new one by fan boys who cant handle someone having an honest opinion

You know what update they should come out with.....Making AI at least some what competitive .....

I have only done very limited testing in the wet.

Custom race group 4....grip set to real, tyres and fuel at x1. Grid start. BOP on. Using the corvette

Tried the wettest conditions, full wets, struggled to get car of line at TC2. Found it very slippy all the way round. Braking distances very long, I thought it was pretty good, spun out hairpin on 2nd lap.

Having heard grip was better with slicks I gave that a try.

Literally couldn't get car off line with TC on, got to first corner eventually, broke early turned at low speed and slid straight on to barrier.......that was that theory debunked. Slicks have no grip on a wet track.

Moved onto the less wet track at dusk. Changed to start on pole so I could get a clean lap as wanted to test how much slower the conditions were in the damp track as to dry.

Still used the full wets even though track was I guess ment for inters. Again braking distances were increased, much more grip than full wet track but felt good, didnt just feel like I had worn dry tyres. I had grip and car turned in sharply and responsibly but with much slower apex speeds. Not a pro but felt pretty realistic.

Best lap was 1.45.2

Next loaded up dry track (all other settings same as before)and used racing hards just to get measure how much slower a damp track was.

Best lap was 1.39.3

6 seconds between damp and dry track seems about right to me. Never had time to set a laptime in full wet conditions but I guess it would be well into the 50's.

Alas I had to go to work before I could do anything else but intial impressions are the physics and grip are pretty good and i look forward to further testing later.

GT7 is so near that PD shouldn't dedicate even 25% of people and new content to GTS.

PS5 will be annonced in february, GT7 being part of launch games, and released only some months later after february 2020...

Main content and new racing cars might be reserved for GT7.

I'm ok with some new updates so near to GT7

I think you'll find that the aesthetic changes are quite significant... they enable the car to look less like a Sprinter, and virtually identical to an Aston Martin V8, an Alfa Romeo 156, an R30 or R31 Skyline, and Isuzu Piazza, Nissan Bluebirds...... old Maserati's, old Supra's, old Renaults... in fact pretty much any car you want to believe it looks like...

... the Levin is miraculous in that respect.
Significant? I wouldn’t say they are that significant. The lights have changed and its developed a grill. Otherwise, the bumper is the same as It was. The major difference being the bonnet has been raised at the tip to give less of an angle but it’s not noticeable without taking the rest into account

I haven’t got the chance to play this new update yet, so I have a question: do the wipers turn on automatically, or is there a button, and can you change the speed?

Thx

Back