Gran Turismo Sport 1.43 Update Now Available: Five JDM Cars and Wet Red Bull Ring

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 524 comments
The problem is that you used a Supersampling mode with a game that already has in game Supersampling ("Prioritize Quality" setting), which is more stable and optimized than system wide forced Supersampling.

No, that is not the exact problem. Like I said, Supersampling Mode worked better during gameplay before update 1.43. 2K prioritize quality mode is also affected by worsened performance issues.

By using Supersampling to GTSport (especially on top of said setting) it's no wonder that your game is chugging.

Supersampling Mode (the system setting) doesn’t run on top of 2K prioritize quality mode. Supersampling Mode forces GTS into 4K mode, meaning the 2K options disappear in-game.

I dont think most games are running well with system wide Supersampling mode on anyways.

That’s true and also partially true for GTS, but it doesn’t change the fact that the game performed better with it enabled before the new update. Again, this goes for both 4K mode with system supersampling and 2K prioritize quality mode.

Last edited:
Custom race is the same as online. It’s only Time Trial where things are dumbed down somewhat as you can’t change track settings to real.

That setting is for the grip reduction on track edge, which I don't find to be a big deal as I always drive on Tokyo Expressway tracks. Not quite sure if it also has an effect on overall grip including when you're on track.

I did some “career” mode races on the wet tracks last night....at first glance, they look pretty darn good, can’t take that away from PD.

But for me, that’s all it is...good at a first glance. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the detail of the water effects on the windshield, the reflections off of puddles...I see all that, it’s good....but for me, that’s not why I’m interested in wet weather.

Having done a couple races in the wet, the first thing that jumped out at me is the water is COMPLETELY static. As in, puddles are completely static, and there are no rivers of water flowing across the track, and the puddles seem to be in random places - eg, there’s no buildup of water along the Turn 6 inside curb like in real life. Furthermore, driving through puddles has no effect on anything. No water is displaced by tires going through it, and there are no “dry lines” left by tires as a car drives through a puddle. Completely static.

On top of that, I’m really failing to feel a significant handling difference in the wet conditions. I’ve only driven road cars in the wet, maybe it’s more exaggerated with racecars, but I really didn’t feel much loss of grip. It was slightly easier to get oversteer on corner exit, and exit curbs felt a little slippery, but I really didn’t feel a loss of lateral grip mid corner, and braking distances feel pretty much the same.

I didn’t really experiment too much with using “wet lines” through the corners...but I didn’t at all notice any significant loss of grip on the racing line, either due to polished aggregate and/or rubber build-up.

With all that in mind, if I compare GT’s wet weather to pCARS2 wet weather, for me, pCARS2 is still miles ahead. Not just for the number of weather related options, and that it changes over time...but the way you actually interact with the wet track. Cars splash water around, rivers of water flow, puddles change size, the spray gets thick enough to make seeing an issue...if you’re at speed and hit a puddle or river, the car will hydroplane causing you to lose control. You have to adjust your line accordingly to avoid this deep water, and you can feel differences in grip on and off the racing line. I just did a quick race in the wet at Watkins Glen the other day - going through the buss stop, both myself and the AI kept dropping wheels into the grass on the left side. After a few laps of this, the puddles at the exit of the buss stop actually start to turn a murky brown as dirt and mud get washed onto the track...exactly like what happens in real life at the exit of Watkins Glen’s buss stop when it rains there.

So despite GT having the superior graphics, and certainly the superior wet weather graphics, I find pCARS wet weather multiple times more immersive. It’s legit scary driving some cars in the wet in that game. To me, the wet weather in GT is just a shiny bobble that will lose its novelty pretty quickly. Should make for some decent photos though.

It’s super common for racecars to drive with their wipers off in the rain. Usually, if it starts raining mid race, drivers will avoid turning the wipers on until after making a pit stop where they can have a tear-off remover, or the windshield washed. Racetracks are dirty places, full of soft rubber, oil, and grease. That crap ends up all over the windshield, and if you turn on the wipers while there’s oil and grime all over the windshield, they smear the oil and grime all over the windshield, essentially blinding the driver.
That's funny because during dry conditions in PC2, the windscreen looks all scratched and dirty too. ;)

No, that is not the exact problem. Like I said, Supersampling Mode worked better during gameplay before update 1.43. 2K prioritize quality mode is also affected by worsened performance issues.
Not trying supersampling mode but the quality mode plays well on me?

Supersampling Mode (the system setting) doesn’t run on top of 2K prioritize quality mode. Supersampling Mode forces GTS into 4K mode, meaning the 2K options disappear in-game.
My point stands. The system wide supersampling is worse than ingame ones.

Obviously. In terms of being powerful, every successor is better in many ways.
Sure, but Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4, not to mention The Last of Us, hasn’t aged as bad. There’s something about how over ambitious PD were, which they learned from thankfully, as they removed dynamic weather for GT Sport.

Not trying supersampling mode but the quality mode plays well on me?

Try the Tokyo Expressway event in J-Sports Meeting and notice how the game stutters repeatedly as you work your way up through the field. This is the worst example I’ve encountered. Worth mentioning that I used interior camera, so not sure whether all camera views are affected. As far as I can tell I get the same amount of stuttering regardless of Supersampling Mode or 2K quality mode. No such issues before update 1.43.

I only notice 2K quality mode working better than system-wide supersampling when watching animated sequences in the menus.

Last edited:
Sure, but Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4, not to mention The Last of Us, hasn’t aged as bad. There’s something about how over ambitious PD were, which they learned from thankfully, as they removed dynamic weather for GT Sport.
Well, I suppose some games do. Anyway, I guess that also depends on how PD has made the game with the complicated structure of the PS3's hardware, something they didn't have to go through when they made GT Sport for the PS4.

Just did the new Super GT event on the wet RBR, it takes place on the 10:45am setting. I have to say, compared to the other wet races I did which were at one of the evening times, this one definitely felt more wet.

The rain itself looked about the same, the rain on the windshield glass looked about the same, but the track was a lot more wet. Definitely needed to brake earlier, and a lot less grip through the rest of the corner. I still couldn’t feel the water on the track though, I just feel a general sense of having less grip. The puddles don’t pull on the steering, or give any kind of feedback when you drive through them.

The spray behind other cars was definitely thicker, and overall looks pretty good, but didn’t give me the feeling of being blinded by it. Even when right behind another car, I could still make out what was happening in front of the car I was following.

I agree that GT6 does not look good on my 4K screen. Framerate is all over the place and the screen tearing just awful. When I want to play older GT, I always play GT5. Much more stable and better looking in everything. Just the menus are slow :-)

Since this update i am seeing a lot of random stutters on places it didn’t or shouldn’t happen, even in time trial. Strangely when i pause the game and move the cursor across the screen it’s still stable in most cases. This happend on tracks like Colorado springs, Monza, Nurburgring driving the RCF GT3 cockpit view on base PS4.

Just did the new Super GT event on the wet RBR, it takes place on the 10:45am setting. I have to say, compared to the other wet races I did which were at one of the evening times, this one definitely felt more wet.

The rain itself looked about the same, the rain on the windshield glass looked about the same, but the track was a lot more wet. Definitely needed to brake earlier, and a lot less grip through the rest of the corner. I still couldn’t feel the water on the track though, I just feel a general sense of having less grip. The puddles don’t pull on the steering, or give any kind of feedback when you drive through them.

The spray behind other cars was definitely thicker, and overall looks pretty good, but didn’t give me the feeling of being blinded by it. Even when right behind another car, I could still make out what was happening in front of the car I was following.

Its seems to have gone under the radar but there is actually 3 different levels of wetness/grip.

1045 is the trickiest conditions, 0445 still requires the heavy wets but is more forgiving than 1045. 1730 is intermediates.

I made a video outlining the differences in grip and tyre performance

The commentary is rubbish so I apologise in advance.

As for puddles not pulling the car. Tbf puddles have to be quite deep to start pulling on the steering even in a road car, going through a puddle a couple cm deep has little to zero effect as long as the tread is enough to clear the water.

Racing wets can clear ridiculous amount of water so I wouldn't expect the standing water on the track in gt sport to present them any trouble as the car drives through them, certainly not to pull the car sideways ala forza style.

1045 is the trickiest conditions, 0445 still requires the heavy wets but is more forgiving than 1045. 1730 is intermediates
GT6/5 had the humidity percentage, depending on that you would decide what tire was best for every occasion. I hate it to come down to randomly pulling straws tbh

I did some “career” mode races on the wet tracks last night....at first glance, they look pretty darn good, can’t take that away from PD.

But for me, that’s all it is...good at a first glance. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the detail of the water effects on the windshield, the reflections off of puddles...I see all that, it’s good....but for me, that’s not why I’m interested in wet weather.

Having done a couple races in the wet, the first thing that jumped out at me is the water is COMPLETELY static. As in, puddles are completely static, and there are no rivers of water flowing across the track, and the puddles seem to be in random places - eg, there’s no buildup of water along the Turn 6 inside curb like in real life. Furthermore, driving through puddles has no effect on anything. No water is displaced by tires going through it, and there are no “dry lines” left by tires as a car drives through a puddle. Completely static.

On top of that, I’m really failing to feel a significant handling difference in the wet conditions. I’ve only driven road cars in the wet, maybe it’s more exaggerated with racecars, but I really didn’t feel much loss of grip. It was slightly easier to get oversteer on corner exit, and exit curbs felt a little slippery, but I really didn’t feel a loss of lateral grip mid corner, and braking distances feel pretty much the same.

I didn’t really experiment too much with using “wet lines” through the corners...but I didn’t at all notice any significant loss of grip on the racing line, either due to polished aggregate and/or rubber build-up.

With all that in mind, if I compare GT’s wet weather to pCARS2 wet weather, for me, pCARS2 is still miles ahead. Not just for the number of weather related options, and that it changes over time...but the way you actually interact with the wet track. Cars splash water around, rivers of water flow, puddles change size, the spray gets thick enough to make seeing an issue...if you’re at speed and hit a puddle or river, the car will hydroplane causing you to lose control. You have to adjust your line accordingly to avoid this deep water, and you can feel differences in grip on and off the racing line. I just did a quick race in the wet at Watkins Glen the other day - going through the buss stop, both myself and the AI kept dropping wheels into the grass on the left side. After a few laps of this, the puddles at the exit of the buss stop actually start to turn a murky brown as dirt and mud get washed onto the track...exactly like what happens in real life at the exit of Watkins Glen’s buss stop when it rains there.

So despite GT having the superior graphics, and certainly the superior wet weather graphics, I find pCARS wet weather multiple times more immersive. It’s legit scary driving some cars in the wet in that game. To me, the wet weather in GT is just a shiny bobble that will lose its novelty pretty quickly. Should make for some decent photos though.

It’s super common for racecars to drive with their wipers off in the rain. Usually, if it starts raining mid race, drivers will avoid turning the wipers on until after making a pit stop where they can have a tear-off remover, or the windshield washed. Racetracks are dirty places, full of soft rubber, oil, and grease. That crap ends up all over the windshield, and if you turn on the wipers while there’s oil and grime all over the windshield, they smear the oil and grime all over the windshield, essentially blinding the driver.

Amen to that. The weather in PC2 really is on another level. How come it runs on PS4? GTS pales greatly in comparison. Looks quite good though.

:lol: Are there really 3 rain conditions? I totally missed the early time of day.

Yep 3 times of day each with different characteristics.

The 0445 is also the best looking conditions in my opinion as well as being the most fun. Car is tricky but doesn't try to kill you on every corner like 1045 does.

The two Super GT races are pretty easy. Sardegna B is the easiest given that you should all know the track and the AI seems super slow on some of the almost full throttle sections. Why they brake on the 'straights'? hmmm

Red Bull Ring wet. This one is better off with TCS1 and you just have to be careful with the throttle and over overtaking and try to be smooth and gentle with the car.

I use the Honda NSX Concept for both.

Since its a triple mixed field with 2016 and 2008 Super GT cars and GT3 you just need to cut thru the field as the only real opposition is the 3 or 4 x 2016 age cars.

Its seems to have gone under the radar but there is actually 3 different levels of wetness/grip.

1045 is the trickiest conditions, 0445 still requires the heavy wets but is more forgiving than 1045. 1730 is intermediates.

I made a video outlining the differences in grip and tyre performance

The commentary is rubbish so I apologise in advance.

As for puddles not pulling the car. Tbf puddles have to be quite deep to start pulling on the steering even in a road car, going through a puddle a couple cm deep has little to zero effect as long as the tread is enough to clear the water.

Racing wets can clear ridiculous amount of water so I wouldn't expect the standing water on the track in gt sport to present them any trouble as the car drives through them, certainly not to pull the car sideways ala forza style.

You’re right about the different times of day having different weather conditions, I see that now.

I completely disagree about the puddles though. In my road car, I can definitely feel a 2cm deep puddle through the steering wheel, and that’s doing less than 100kph. Over 100kph, you can start to feel small rivers of water, and definitely puddles. Doesn’t matter how much water a race tire will clear, if you’re doing 200kph and you drive through a 2cm deep puddle, you will feel it.

In GT, you feel absolutely nothing. Other than general loss of grip (I guarantee you this is handled behind the scenes by one of PD’s grip multipliers, nothing more), you don’t feel the car interacting with the water at all.

Like you said, the 10:45 race is the worst conditions. In that case, I should be able to put the Inters on a car, go on track, and be hydroplaning everywhere, as there’s no way Inters would disperse enough water. But that simply doesn’t happen. Yes, the Inters have less grip than the Wets, but again, it’s just general less grip. They don’t interact with the water on the circuit, there’s no hydroplaning, no tugging at the steering wheel. If you hit the puddle with only one side of the car, there’s no balance change or weight transfer. Nothing.

So I did the absolutely stupid thing by using a high-powered RWD car with slicks (Supra Mk4 with 750hp) and drove it around the wet Red Bull Ring in an online lobby, and I was laughing my butt off at every moment :lol: after slipping and sliding everywhere, I stopped at the entry of Turn #2 facing uphill and I tried flooring the throttle but I couldn't move :lol::lol: it's crazy.

Rain is pretty but still disappointed that it's just a simple grip reduction. No aquaplaning, no puddles, no wet lines. I've been playing ACC a lot lately and the track really feels alive in that game during rain. Driving in GTS just feels dead. PD will always be PD I guess. At least it's good for photomode.

The cars on the other hand are fantastic. Love the 90s JDM era and seeing the GTO comeback in premium form is like seeing an old time friend :D A bit disappointed again that they modelled the digidash for Levin instead of analogue. Guess we'll have to wait for them to add the kouki AE86 for that.

The rear wheel regen rate tweak is also much welcome. The McLaren VGT is actually drivable now instead of trying to swap ends in every braking zone. I do wonder why it has taken them this long to notice this. Like it's pretty apparent from the first corner if anyone at PD actually tested the car before release.

I’m getting the impression that many people have expected too much of the rain. Although Gran Turismo on PS4 simulates driving better than ever, it has never really been about diving deep into different aspects of the simulation. Why would rain be any different?

Personally it turned out better than I expected, especially because I never really liked the rain simulation in previous titles. However, in GTS I’m more or less getting the amount of grip I’d expect on different tire compounds (with the real grip setting enabled). Though, I’m sure there’s room for improvement here and there.

One of my favorite things is putting comfort softs on road cars. This compound grips in the rain when you want it to while also allowing for some slippery fun that is very manageable thanks to the limit being very transparent. Anyone who jumps straight to intermediates or full wets for any car is missing out. Yes, sessions are static but I couldn’t care less as I’m having loads of fun with it.

I can’t wait to see rain implemented on other tracks, also because of how it transforms the atmosphere visually. There’s always room for improvement, but I think PD deserves more credit for what they have delivered, simply because it plays great and is consistent with the scope of GTS as we knew it all along. Whether PD should broaden this scope is another point of discussion, but it’s worth remembering that consoles have limits and developer studios different priorities.

Last edited:
My feeling going mainly on the Red Bull Ring Super GT race is that its mostly just light drizzle.

Its not a super rain storm like DriveClub or the slightly over the top handling representation that Forza has.

Do race cars racing in rain storms?

My feeling going mainly on the Red Bull Ring Super GT race is that its mostly just light drizzle.

Its not a super rain storm like DriveClub or the slightly over the top handling representation that Forza has.

Do race cars racing in rain storms?

Puddles in a race track are more than enough for a red flag in real life, so no. With GTS being overseen by the FIA, they wouldn't allow such horrible racing conditions to be added into the game.

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while:

Would people be willing to accept a noticeable drop in framerate and other concessions in order to accommodate dynamic time/weather?

Nope.

Some games need high rates for the physics not just the graphics so it can be a double sacrifice. Forza is in the same boat, and while they claim "Dynamic" it's dynamic in the sense it alters slightly but is no more dynamic than GTS. I'd much rather wait until they can do it properly and at a high rate than sacrifice anything.

Puddles in a race track are more than enough for a red flag in real life, so no. With GTS being overseen by the FIA, they wouldn't allow such horrible racing conditions to be added into the game.
Yeah but there are puddles on the track. You can see them, so this argument is irrelevant.

Back