Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

• Thread starter Pophead
  • 1,859 comments
image.jpg

Might as well make a "FULL" version (with full offline career mode/features like a normal GT game)

wonder will the thread "Gran turismo sport: general discussion" reach 2000 pages by then :sly:

luckily i got ps4 not for this game

From what I have seen over the years, including the recently released Assetto Corsa, it seems rather difficult to release a racing sim onto console, unless the power of consoles significantly increases.
Think about it: If Assetto Corsa can just about cope on consoles with a limited number of circuits and cars, how will Gran Turismo Sport cope? The only solution it seems is dropping the game to 30FPS, which will definitely reduce customers who are in the 'hardcore racer' bracket. Perhaps another route is leaving Sony, and going onto PC to compete with iRacing and would allow PD to keep updating the game.

And so many believed too :lol::lol:

View attachment 581121

:lol::P:sly:
I voted Yes. What was I thinking?!

This is ridiculous. And it's not even GT7. I'm expecting a beta now.
Don't expect anything when it comes to GT as you will likely end up disappointed.

From what I have seen over the years, including the recently released Assetto Corsa, it seems rather difficult to release a racing sim onto console, unless the power of consoles significantly increases.

Think about it: If Assetto Corsa can just about cope on consoles with a limited number of circuits and cars, how will Gran Turismo Sport cope? The only solution it seems is dropping the game to 30FPS, which will definitely reduce customers who are in the 'hardcore racer' bracket. Perhaps another route is leaving Sony, and going onto PC to compete with iRacing and would allow PD to keep updating the game.
The number of circuits and cars has no bearing on it. I cannot imagine GT ever dropping to 30FPS. Is PD not owned by SIE?

I think there are 2 main issues behind the delay of GTS. The main issue I think is that PD is inefficient in it's time management and may keep changing the vision of what it wants a particular GT to be. Without a clear target you miss mini objectives and before you know it you are juggling too many balls and have to announce a delay.

The impending arrival of PSVR has caused many studios issues in meeting the guidelines set by SIE and I think PD is no different. Trying to meet the level of graphical fidelity we have seen so far but locked to a minimum 60FPS, ideally 120FPS, must be a horrible burden and could be a major factor in this delay.

Last edited:
Ouch, the lack of timeframe within 2017 is the really painful bit, as some guys have already mentioned.

I am getting very close to accepting my mistake, buying an Xbox One S, stand-alone TX wheelbase (to swap out with the T500 wheelbase and use with the T500 pedals, GTE rim and TH8A I already have) and going back to Forza. I need a relaxed car collecting game in my life, and Gran Turismo is not delivering.

I posted this in the front page comment, but thought I was posting here and just wanted to vent a lil....

To all those saying “good, a finished product”, please & spare me. How many times until that response is stale and some accountability for doing poorly at your job has to be recognized? Kaz and/or PD are in over their heads, clearly. Either it’s poor management, funding or worse. Part of good leadership is situational awareness. Kaz is in LaLa land. Can’t say I’ve seen articles on GTPlanet about Dan from Forza or the team at AC doing 24hr NurRing races while trying to make their deadlines? Kaz is a joke at business and should not be a VP at Sony. He is more suited as head daydreamer in the creative department. Leave the serious big boy stuff for adults.

Drop the Gamescom build and give us something, PD.

I'm not too fussed about the delay, really.

Don't expect anything when it comes to GT as you will likely end up disappointed.

I'm so disappointed. I think this is the GT I wanted the most since forever. Because of the lack of good racing games on PS4, because I (stupid move) sold my PS3 and PSP and so I don't have any chance to play a single GT.

Getting back from holiday couldn't be any worse than this :lol:

The lack of a solid release date is the part that worries me the most.

Can't believe it. I recognize PD has a long, long history of delays, but I figured they had learned after GT6's on-time release — Course Maker notwithstanding — to not announce too far ahead. Cancelling the beta under the guise of ensuring the release date makes this all the more laughable.

I'm also getting a sense of deja vu with those people already lining up to congratulate PD for "taking the time to ensure the best quality" or something along those lines. GT5 was delayed a few times and it still released in an unfinished, WIP-style state. A delay does not automatically mean the final product will be polished.

What makes this even more frustrating is that, despite it coming out today, Assetto Corsa is in no way a replacement for GT. It's good in its own way (and bad in its own way), but those looking for a stand-in for the old-style GT games on a Sony system are still left in the dark.

I believe @Imari said it best a few weeks ago: the best GT title currently available on consoles happens to have the Forza logo on it. It's not perfect — just as no GT title has ever been — but it's the closest thing in spirit to the original titles.

I've joked about how the worst-case scenario would be Polyphony getting the go-ahead to skip the regular PS4 and release GT Sport exclusively on Neo. Hey, maybe the leaks are incorrect. Now, I can't help but wonder if the goal is to design for Neo and just make the regular version passable now.

This was the best possible time for PD to release the new game, too: it was close to the holiday season, and it was far enough away from the release schedule of its most direct competitor.

We're now going to see GT Sport launching in the same year as FM7 (presumably that's what it will be called), which is looking likely to be a Scorpio launch title. GT Sport will be arriving with a lower car count and a barely-higher track count (with less variations total than FM5), over three years after the PS4's release. FM7 could very well launch with over 600 cars, and VR support will be a part of Scorpio at launch, so that won't be a Sony USP for long either.

This is just so frustrating to read. PD better have some utterly amazing tricks up their sleeve to show off over the coming months. They've already started on the back foot this generation thanks to the PS3-era delays; I worry about how well they can make up lost ground this far in. I'm glad I have both consoles, but I can certainly understand the frustration of those that don't (or worse, just recently bought a PS4 solely for GT Sport).

Fun fact: this will also now make this generation the longest a Sony system has gone without a GT title of any sort. The PS1 held the record (as you'd expect), with 3 years and 20 days.

'F' consoles at this point. I'm building a better PC rig.

If Sony & PD were smart, they would make GT a full PC game and offer a version for consoles.
At such time as a complete Forza Motorsport game (6?7?) hits the PC, then PC will be able to offer everything you could previously only get on consoles, including car collecting/tuning fun. So far the consoles always had that "massive number of licensed and tuneable cars" thing which wasn't available on PC, meaning a console was a necessity if you wanted to play that kind of game.

GT would no doubt be late and behind Forza on the PC as well, and then direct comparisons would be possible :D

Just sold my XBOX because november was comming. I know it was expected but i was hoping this time they deliverd.....

First the closed Evolution and now the pushed my only hope on a nice racing game on PS4 away..... So should i order a xbox again....???

What makes this even more frustrating is that, despite it coming out today, Assetto Corsa is in no way a replacement for GT.

I fully agree with that statement. It is in no way a replacement for Gran Turismo just like in the PSX-days that TOCA was no replacement for Gran Turismo. Low on content, difficult, but such a satisfying thing to play. Not everyone's cup of thea. If you want a GT style of game you need to play Forza.

This could cost PD and Sony dearly..

Last edited:
I'm guessing Nov 2017 release date. Not surprised about the delay but something needs to change in the development team, Sony needs to step in and make changes its time.

No dynamic weather/day/night changes in the game? With the delay I would expect this to be in the game. Porsche? If Assetto Corsa did it, I'd expect PD to add it as well. More recent/relevant cars should be included. Think Koenigsegg, Mustang GT350 R, Maclaren P1, LA Ferrari, etc. VR. Basically, I'm saying that even with these features added, GT is in trouble. The competition is WAY ahead of them. And I'm sorry, number of employees is no excuse anymore. Kunos has much less.

Very disappointed over this news but not completely shocked to be honest.

On the bright side, if PDI feels they need to iron out some details and features before the game comes out, I am ok with that. Why? Because I would rather have the features at launch instead of 12 months later via a patch.

Last edited:
On the bright side, I have if PDI feels they need to iron out some details and features before the game comes out, I am ok with that. Why? Because I would rather have the features at launch instead of 12 months later via a patch.
Pretty much. I bet things like weather, damage, and night racing weren't finalized yet, and if the game was released in November, we would have to wait for an update to see these features. At least with this delay, these features have a better chance of making it in at launch.

Just sold my XBOX because november was comming. I know it was expected but i was hoping this time they deliverd.....

First the closed Evolution and now the pushed my only hope on a nice racing game on PS4 away..... So should i order a xbox again....???

PS4.5 or PS4Neo will be announced next month along with PS4slim so expect a price drop.

Shocked by what I've just read in the front page of this website and for now the pain of waiting is just..... ugghhh :(

Well.... the decision to delay might be to what happened in Gamescom, where there's no new gameplay trailer and little information given such as a new dirt track and latest screenshots and that's it. The latest build also having quite problems with some flickering on fences and trees.

Totally unacceptable, I mean, I honestly thought common sense would prevail at PD, since they boldly had their London event and appeared at the shows since then. But I must admit, as a long time fan since GT1, I cant accept this.
If the game had the offline modes we've had in past games I would understand, but to miss launch with a lower car and track count, its absolutley unacceptable!
I am most probably going to NOT buy GTSport at launch purely to vote with my wallet and send a message to PD that enough is enough.
At this point. . . I hope they have come to the realisation that GTSport is probably not going to even match the prologue titles in sales.

Back