Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

• Thread starter Pophead
  • 1,859 comments
The problem is that as long Forza Motorsport wont come to Playstation (what a stund whould that be ;))

We dont have a nice racing game in my opinion for the PS4 like GT

Project Cars and Asetto ar not GT or Forza and i like those games more. I have Project Cars but ita not the same not is nice and nowhere near as big....

I had Forza 6 awsome game but i having two consoles. Xbox One just for Forza is stupid.......

This is why I believe there needs to be a another 'car collecting' style game out there thats on all platforms to challenge GT and Forza and push them to the next level. At the moment GT and Forza dont really compete with eachother as directly as we'd like to think because as you said, its tough to buy a console just for one game, not to mention the whole circus with different wheels and such.

The problem is Turn 10 and Polyphony are fumbling the car collecting concept (either by stagnant gameplay or slow implication of new features) and as a result sales have been steadily declining. So there probably isnt much interest in anyone else making such a game.

But I will dare dream for a second that someone big like EA goes all out and decides to make a rival to Forza and GT thats available on Xbox/PS/PC and crossplay compatible on all 3 platforms. Would be sick and no doubt would up the game of Turn 10 and PD

The lack of a solid release date is the part that worries me the most.

Can't believe it. I recognize PD has a long, long history of delays, but I figured they had learned after GT6's on-time release — Course Maker notwithstanding — to not announce too far ahead. Cancelling the beta under the guise of ensuring the release date makes this all the more laughable.

I'm also getting a sense of deja vu with those people already lining up to congratulate PD for "taking the time to ensure the best quality" or something along those lines. GT5 was delayed a few times and it still released in an unfinished, WIP-style state. A delay does not automatically mean the final product will be polished.

What makes this even more frustrating is that, despite it coming out today, Assetto Corsa is in no way a replacement for GT. It's good in its own way (and bad in its own way), but those looking for a stand-in for the old-style GT games on a Sony system are still left in the dark.

I believe @Imari said it best a few weeks ago: the best GT title currently available on consoles happens to have the Forza logo on it. It's not perfect — just as no GT title has ever been — but it's the closest thing in spirit to the original titles.

I've joked about how the worst-case scenario would be Polyphony getting the go-ahead to skip the regular PS4 and release GT Sport exclusively on Neo. Hey, maybe the leaks are incorrect. Now, I can't help but wonder if the goal is to design for Neo and just make the regular version passable now.

This was the best possible time for PD to release the new game, too: it was close to the holiday season, and it was far enough away from the release schedule of its most direct competitor.

We're now going to see GT Sport launching in the same year as FM7 (presumably that's what it will be called), which is looking likely to be a Scorpio launch title. GT Sport will be arriving with a lower car count and a barely-higher track count (with less variations total than FM5), over three years after the PS4's release. FM7 could very well launch with over 600 cars, and VR support will be a part of Scorpio at launch, so that won't be a Sony USP for long either.

This is just so frustrating to read. PD better have some utterly amazing tricks up their sleeve to show off over the coming months. They've already started on the back foot this generation thanks to the PS3-era delays; I worry about how well they can make up lost ground this far in. I'm glad I have both consoles, but I can certainly understand the frustration of those that don't (or worse, just recently bought a PS4 solely for GT Sport).

Fun fact: this will also now make this generation the longest a Sony system has gone without a GT title of any sort. The PS1 held the record (as you'd expect), with 3 years and 20 days.

This is as ridiculous as it may get. They touched the pit now.

If they won't release a beta or something this may be a really hard blow to GT Franchise...

I mean ALL THE RETAILERS here in italy were taking preorders and now? Customers and retailers do not like this stuff.

But what completely messes up with my mind is:

How the hell could it happen? I mean they had been reassuring on release date, give go to preorders, had the copper box event, and just NOW they realized the issues?

I mean PD is PD, but come on this seems way way way to strange even for them? What the hell happened?

People say it's NEO coming, but i think there must be something else, a massive roadblock they didn't see coming (maybe 'cause of clipping and texture pop-in lol)...

After all many parts of the engine showed so far seemed well and ready; the showed content was lacking but i can't and won't believe in all these years that was all that they had ready :D

FS7
GTS could be part of the 20th anniversary celebration if it's delayed to 2018.

They will absolutely do that. But then again, if it launches in 2017, they can call it "Gran Turismo 2017", oh wait they can do both! This is how they will do it, in 2017 release "Gran Turismo 2017, Prologue", and then release proper Gran Turimso 7 in 2018 as part of the anniversary. I'm joking, that's obvious, but it would not surprise me ONE BIT, if they would actually do that.

Haha,haha....ive stopped laughing now. So funny because it was so predictable, we all said and knew that it would be delayed, i really dont know why PD give release dates when they never stick to them. Anyway, it is better to perfect the game than release a half arsed game which we would all complain about. At least i will have fifa 17 and f1 2016 to keep me going until then....whenever that is !

Haha,haha....ive stopped laughing now. So funny because it was so predictable, we all said and knew that it would be delayed, i really dont know why PD give release dates when they never stick to them. Anyway, it is better to perfect the game than release a half arsed game which we would all complain about. At least i will have fifa 17 and f1 2016 to keep me going until then....whenever that is !

Perfect the game? Whome are you kidding? Since GT PSP no GT game was even close to perfect. What did PD do with their over 5 years development time with GT5? Oh wait, it was the PS3's fault, my bad...

Also, I wonder what they are/were supposed to be?

You don't delay a game to add more stuff than you initially planned, you're back in the same position if you do that. You delay a game because what you planned to do wasn't finished on time.

Well, unless the delay is a year or more, then you might be able to add extra time to do new things.

I am still waiting for all of the things promised for GT6 when I purchased my pre-order. I was really looking forward to the seven post chassis rig to better diagnose handling problems. And the track editor was a bit watered down from it's original description of mapping a track using your phone's GPS. I had five real world tracks on the schedule and a couple of street course that I wanted to drive.

I see no PS4 in my near future.

If this means we get more content (cars and tracks) I'm very happy with a delay. A new Gran Turismo is always something special but its not like we're short on good racing games to play this year, GTSport in the quiet spell at the start of next year would be nice.

I dont get Sony. Evolution was shot down by them because of the release problems but they diliverd a exelent game.

GT is doing this for a will now whitout any problems with Sony. All lies and promisses they cant keep. Love GT but this is just bull crap one somuch time and not better then Forza.... Pff

It's about the money. GT makes, and has made, Sony a LOT of money when compared to Evolution. Basically, PD is dug in. But with their baffles with GT5 and 6 and now Sport, they could be looking at getting dug up. More likely a re-org.

Pathetic. Never mind that the game looked like a mediocre copy of Project Cars with a less inspired car list, it's now late. No one is checking for this. The racing genre has become more competitive and this is going to flop.

It's about the money. GT makes, and has made, Sony a LOT of money when compared to Evolution. Basically, PD is dug in. But with their baffles with GT5 and 6 and now Sport, they could be looking at getting dug up. More likely a re-org.

I spent $65 on Forza Motorsports 6 when it launched. I have also spent $7 a month on new cars. I just cannot resist. They always have a new car or two that I like from the pack so I keep buying them. So in 10 months, I have spent an additional $70 on DLC. The Forza DLC always has something cool to offer, is about the cost of a cup of premium coffee and is always, consistently ON TIME!

PD could have made much more money for Sony if they actually had a plan that had realistic timelines that monetized a viable product at launch with consistently timed track, car and other cool feature updates. PD (or Sony) need to hire more project managers and give them more control within the business model, not more developers. Kaz is a racer and developer and is fully in charge and a perfectionist, so his products are never complete.

Perfect the game? Whome are you kidding? Since GT PSP no GT game was even close to perfect. What did PD do with their over 5 years development time with GT5? Oh wait, it was the PS3's fault, my bad...
Perfect the game was perhaps the wrong phrase, as what game is perfect ? But Kaz also said "to perfect the game".I should say to bring the game up to standard, what we have seen so far was below par and unacceptable.Parts look the same as gt6, some cars were using the same modelling etc. The ps4 is capable of alot more, we the fans deserve alot more and it seems that Kaz agrees with us on that. It has to be better than project cars though seriously !

"Expect perfection" does it say anything to you?

First party PS developers:

Japan Studio - 4 PS4 games released
Bend Studio - Been working on ports and handheld, 1st PS4 game started in Jan 2015
Naughty Dog - Delayed, but their PS4 game came out May 2016 and the other half of the studio working on another
San Diego - 4 games released, two coming
Santa Monica - Several PS4 games released, some colloborative
Sucker Punch - Two PS4 games released
London Studio - Two PS4 games releaed
Guerilla Games - PS4 Launch title released, second full game due next year
Media Molecule - Worked on a Vita game then released in on PS4, second PS4 game on the way
PixelOpus - One PS4 game released

Polyphony Digital - Absolutely nothing released on PS4, won't be until some time in 2017.

How do Sony put up with it? As above, they're surely living on sales and the fact Kaz is on the board. That position can't be untenable though.
;)

Sorry for double post

And then people wonder why long term fans of the game aren't so easily swayed to believe that PD actually will release a game on time. "But but but buu....LMS...what about GT6?" yeah a game that was basically a shift over of assets and play style and updating started by the previous iteration before it.

I too find it worrying that they don't have a solid date for 2017 release, not even a quarterly projection like the never released beta. Which for those new to the PD-universe, spells a chance that there is another likely delay. And thus just saying 2017 in general will allow them not to have to make another announcement about a delay.

Kaz has decided to give his opinion on the matter:
kazunoriyamauchi.png

At least Sony is letting us know about it and has cancelled our pre-orders:

IMG_20160830_193908.jpg

Basically says that they are thankful for you/us pre-ordering GTS, that the game has been delayed, and that you/we have got a confirmation E-Mail about the cancelled pre-order. Also states that as soon as proper product information is available, the game will be able to pre-order again and that they are very sorry for any unpleasentness.

Back