Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
A road safety ad featuring the Formula 1 driver Carlos Sainz Jr is currently being broadcast in Spain tv, promoting "to race in GT Sport and not on the road"

Hmmm, I wonder why he'd be promoting it instead of Ordonez...

SIGGRAPH Asia 2018 TOKYO 「REAL TIME LIVE!」
Live Replay Movie Creation of Gran Turismo

The power of Ray Tracing is insane...
Especially the self-reflections.
103CE516-AB22-4452-A81E-996C0175BC69.png

4A46F977-9CE5-4BF0-8549-61749F4ACDD9.png

Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

So, there you are ladies and gentlemen on how PD create cinematic magic for every single trailer they have made! :eek: :bowdown: To be honest it is rather impressive if there is possibilities that players could be able to change camera angle, car colors, set the lighting and adjust time conditions based on replay footage. Wonder if this dev tool is accessible on default game build (need hackers here lol). Imagine if you can make your own GT based cinematic movie without much time doing post processing in other software. That would be convenient in my opinion.

I see the feel in their eye. "We worked several years on this game, and we now have to play it? WHEN WILL IT END?"

Also that Sascha guy's girlfriend omg

As long you did something you like you won't felt enough and tired of it. ;)

The last bit was technically next gen target render footage. I still don't think they can have ray tracing in real time for next gen (even if it's just reflections), but it certainly looks incredible.

The movie creation bit is fascinating. I hope a simplified version eventually comes to us (the community would make some stunning stuff).

Hope they can pull it of on the PS5, real time ray tracing is really the future. It just make it more believable and more real looking. With the scape car models and GTS lighting coupled with ray tracing for gameplay will make me happy for next gen, and ofcourse more detailed tracks :).

It looks so good. And the garage scene is epic, the reflection on mirrors is simply perfect. I simply hope they don't shoot for the stars and ending with no rain or dynamic TOD.

Fully real-time ray tracing means all lighting is fully dynamic (including global illumination/indirect lighting), which means dynamic time change is automatically possible. Now it's just a matter if Sony will be creating a PS5 that allows PD to use their real-time path tracer.

PD crammed so many teases in this game, that we can't access. One of them is proper multi-class. Like half the field is split, multi-class. Another, is the Time Trial.
I'm doing the Mission Stage 2.7: "All out time attack with the SLS AMG Gr.4!". I have to complete a full lap with other gr.4 cars on track. As I'm coming up on each car, they have the 4-way flashers on. This should be an option in TT mode. Rival cars on/off, Multi-class on/ off, One Make on/off, mixed cars on/off, Garage cars on/off. I just don't know why PD show so many things in Mission Challenge and then, block them in other modes.

Screen-space reflections has horrible occlusion drawbacks that break immersion, object reflections completely fade in and out as soon as the object is no longer on screen. Ray-traced reflections are of such higher quality, completely accurate, and appear at all times, it's not much of a comparison.

I see, so PS4 can use the screen-space reflection without ray tracing.
It was PD's judge not to use the screen-space reflection, I guess.

I saw some DC pictures, there was, indeed, screen-space reflections, but seemed kind of inaccurate and not enough reflected.
Ray tracing can do it perfectly.

Now high-performance gaming PCs can use ray tracing, right? If PS5 can use it as well, I think the graphic of Gran Turismo will immensely improve.

It looks so good. And the garage scene is epic, the reflection on mirrors is simply perfect. I simply hope they don't shoot for the stars and ending with no rain or dynamic TOD.
PD always aims for top-notch graphics. Except for shadows. :( It's still as blurry and flickering as it was in GT5.

Screen-space reflections has horrible occlusion drawbacks that break immersion, object reflections completely fade in and out as soon as the object is no longer on screen. Ray-traced reflections are of such higher quality, completely accurate, and appear at all times, it's not much of a comparison.

SSR only requires a few milliseconds of render time, RT will drop your game from 4k 60fps down to 1080p 30ish. Obviously it's better but the permormance penalty is massive, you won't be seeing it in a gameplay scenarios in the next GT game, Scapes maybe yes, since it's just one car and 2D backdrops, even in this video it's running at 15 fps with obvious artefacts and noise .

SSR only requires a few milliseconds of render time, RT will drop your game from 4k 60fps down to 1080p 30ish. Obviously it's better but the permormance penalty is massive, you won't be seeing it in a gameplay scenarios in the next GT game, Scapes maybe yes, since it's just one car and 2D backdrops, even in this video it's running at 15 fps with obvious artefacts and noise .

And hence why ray-traced reflections are considerably more impressive looking in comparison. Nothing "meh" about it.

I see, so PS4 can use the screen-space reflection without ray tracing.
It was PD's judge not to use the screen-space reflection, I guess.

I saw some DC pictures, there was, indeed, screen-space reflections, but seemed kind of inaccurate and not enough reflected.
Ray tracing can do it perfectly.

Now high-performance gaming PCs can use ray tracing, right? If PS5 can use it as well, I think the graphic of Gran Turismo will immensely improve.

Only the new Nvidia RTX graphics cards can do real-time raytracing. AMD is behind the curve in hardware design to do it, but they mentioned they want to compete with Nvidia on those features.

Last edited:
And hence why ray-traced reflections are considerably more impressive looking in comparison. Nothing "meh" about it.
The same processing resources can be put towards better cars, environments, lighting, shadows, reflections, particles, framerate and resolution, and plenty more, or simply have same old GT Sport + RT all running at solid 20 fps at 1080p. RT is definitely the future but the hardware powerful enough to do it is at least 15-20 years away, especially for a small home console.

The same processing resources can be put towards better cars, environments, lighting, shadows, reflections, particles, framerate and resolution, and plenty more, or simply have same old GT Sport + RT all running at solid 20 fps at 1080p. RT is definitely the future but the hardware powerful enough to do it is at least 15-20 years away, especially for a small home console.

Battlefield 5 already does ray-traced reflections at 60+ fps 1080p on consumer RTX GPUs, which is available now and not 15-20 years away. And this game is doing more complicated rendering than GTSport, with lots of particle effects (both for explosions as well as weather effects), similar baked GI lighting, tessellated environments, and large open maps.

I still fail to see how ray-tracing is "meh" which was your original reply regarding this rendering method.

Last edited:
Back