Gran Turismo Sport Update 1.37 Released: H-Pattern Shifter Fix

• Thread starter SteveDuk
  • 92 comments
Okay, I must have missed something so dumb question... what advantage does adding a shifter have? The reason I ask is because I have a shifter and I haven't even set it up, it's still sitting in the box. I guess I could connect it and put it on my rig but I just didn't think I would use it, I rather enjoy the paddle shift as that's what I use in my car.

What do you mean with ' the miss shift nerf'?

The clutch was nerfed in GT5 Prologue about ten years ago (see original thread). Before the nerf you could flat shift/power shift & you never missed any gears; you know, just like you can in real life. After the update, you had to come off the throttle to shift, otherwise, the game just threw you into neutral. You also had to push the clutch down a lot further to shift, otherwise, the game threw you into neutral again. This made it not only unrealistic but also extremely frustrating for most people to use the clutch & h pattern shifter. The exact same poorly designed & deliberately broken clutch model seems to have been copied & pasted into every single GT game since, including GT Sport.

The underlying problem is the incredibly stupid way certain people at PD "problem solve". Instead of fixing the loophole in their game design by disallowing the use of both paddles & h pattern at the same time, & by changing the paddle shift delay on all cars to match the average h pattern shift time, they decided to break the clutch everywhere in the game instead. Ten years on & they still haven't learnt their lesson & have applied the exact same thoughtless & hurtful "solution" by nerfing the clutch some more.

The new "solution" in this update to disallow clutch in Sport Mode is also a pretty stupid decision, because, Thrustmaster T-GT owners who liked using the clutch & h pattern in Sport Mode can no longer do so. Not only are they hindering sales of Thrustmaster add on products, such as their shifters & pedals sets, but they also seem to be on a mission to ruin the gaming experience of customers of their official licensing partner Thrustmaster, not to mention all other clutch users. Also, when you turn on fully adjustable gearing, you cannot use the clutch to shift either (you could do this in GT5, but not from GT6 onwards). All this smacks of thoughtless, lazy, & utterly poor game design decisions by PD. It makes me wonder just how many Thrustmaster shifter/pedal sets have been returned over the years as "faulty" because of this...

If they simply do these four things, mentioned over & over again by the GT Planet community on these forums, it will solve all these problems:

1) Un-nerf the clutch; no more miss shifts/no more being thrown into neutral, no more pushing it all the way down to change gear.

2) Speed up the shift time for paddle users in all cars to match the average shift time of clutch/h pattern users.

3) Disallow the use of paddle shift & clutch/h pattern at the same time (to stop cheating via exploits).

4) Allow the use of clutch & h pattern when fully adjustable gearing is being used.

Now, paddle shifter & clutch users can compete together in Sport Mode & open lobbies with no real advantage or disadvantage to the other. Now, Thrustmaster customers who've spent hundreds on a T-GT & shifter & pedal set, can drive in all game modes & in all cars with or without fully customizable gearing using their expensive purchases. Now, everyone is happy.

Despite their collective genius in making the Gran Turismo series, sometimes Polyphony Digital can't even think their way out of a wet paper bag...

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Giving controller users access to the clutch via the analog buttons on the DS4 is way overdue too.

Last edited:
VBR
The clutch was nerfed in GT5 Prologue about ten years ago (see original thread). Before the nerf you could flat shift/power shift & you never missed any gears; you know, just like you can in real life. After the update, you had to come off the throttle to shift, otherwise, the game just threw you into neutral. You also had to push the clutch down a lot further to shift, otherwise, the game threw you into neutral again. This made it not only unrealistic but also extremely frustrating for most people to use the clutch & h pattern shifter. The exact same poorly designed & deliberately broken clutch model seems to have been copied & pasted into every single GT game since, including GT Sport.

The underlying problem is the incredibly stupid way certain people at PD "problem solve". Instead of fixing the loophole their bad game design by disallowing the use of both paddles & h pattern at the same time, & by changing the paddle shift delay on all cars to match the average h pattern shift time, they decided to break the clutch everywhere in the game instead. Ten years on & they still haven't learnt their lesson & have applied the exact same thoughtless & hurtful "solution" by nerfing the clutch some more.

The new "solution" in this update to disallow clutch in Sport Mode is also a pretty stupid decision as well, because, Thrustmaster T-GT owners who liked using clutch & h pattern in Sport Mode can no longer do so. Not only are they hindering sales of Thrustmaster add on products, such as their shifters & pedals sets, but they also seem to be on a mission to destroy the gaming experience of the customers of their official licensing partner Thrustmaster, not to mention all other clutch users. Also, when you turn on fully adjustable gearing, you cannot use the clutch to shift either (you could do this in GT5, but not from GT6 onwards). All this smacks of thoughtless, lazy, & utterly poor game design decisions by PD. It makes me wonder just how many Thrustmaster shifter/pedal sets have been returned over the years as "faulty" because of this...

If they simply do these four things, mentioned over & over again by the GT Planet community on these forums, it will solve all these problems:

1) Un-nerf the clutch; no more miss shifts/no more being thrown into neutral, no more pushing it all the way down to change gear.

2) Speed up the shift time for paddle users in all cars to match the average shift time of clutch/h pattern users.

3) Disallow the use of paddle shift & clutch/h pattern at the same time (to stop cheating via exploits).

4) Allow the use of clutch & h pattern when fully adjustable gearing is being used.

Now, paddle shifter & clutch users can compete together in Sport Mode & open lobbies with no real advantage or disadvantage to the other. Now, Thrustmaster customers who've spent hundreds on a T-GT & shifter & pedal set, can drive in all game modes & in all cars with or without fully customizable gearing using their expensive purchases. Now, everyone is happy.

Despite their collective genius in making the Gran Turismo series, sometimes Polyphony Digital can't even think their way out of a wet paper bag!

:lol:

EDIT: Giving controller users access to the clutch via the analog buttons on the DS4 is way overdue too.

I was not aware of this, since gt sport is the first game with wich I use a wheel (t300rs gt with upgraded pedals and th8a).
I fully agree with the 4 points you mention, fingers crossed also this will be changed in the future.

VBR
Apart from maybe improving the clutch model by making it more progressive & less of an on/off switch.

:D
And actually allowing the throttle to be partly depressed as well, so the shifter can be used like an actual real world manual.

Hell I can flat shift in my daily driver if I want to, yet in GT is a no-no in every single car.

Have any of you guys tried putting your conical brake mod on the clutch pedal instead, so the on/off action happens faster when you hit the clutch?

VBR

The underlying problem is the incredibly stupid way certain people at PD "problem solve". Instead of fixing the loophole in their game design by disallowing the use of both paddles & h pattern at the same time, & by changing the paddle shift delay on all cars to match the average h pattern shift time, they decided to break the clutch everywhere in the game instead. Ten years on & they still haven't learnt their lesson & have applied the exact same thoughtless & hurtful "solution" by nerfing the clutch some more.

The new "solution" in this update to disallow clutch in Sport Mode is also a pretty stupid decision as well, because, Thrustmaster T-GT owners who liked using the clutch & h pattern in Sport Mode can no longer do so. Not only are they hindering sales of Thrustmaster add on products, such as their shifters & pedals sets, but they also seem to be on a mission to ruin the gaming experience of the customers of their official licensing partner Thrustmaster, not to mention all other clutch users. Also, when you turn on fully adjustable gearing, you cannot use the clutch to shift either (you could do this in GT5, but not from GT6 onwards). All this smacks of thoughtless, lazy, & utterly poor game design decisions by PD. It makes me wonder just how many Thrustmaster shifter/pedal sets have been returned over the years as "faulty" because of this...

Despite their collective genius in making the Gran Turismo series, sometimes Polyphony Digital can't even think their way out of a wet paper bag!

This needs to happen!!!

I'm new to gt series, I was so inspired by viper concepts videos so that I bought ps4, g29 and h pattern shifter :D. 2 weeks ago miata race was so fun I learned how to heel and toe even won 1 race, Now thinking about using paddle shifters on miata in sport mode it makes me really sad, I hope they can find a better solution than disabling clutch and h shifter in sport mode.

Yes!! We were noticed! :cheers::cheers::gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag::gtpflag:.

Edit: Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. Just noticed update contents.

I'm new to gt series, I was so inspired by viper concepts videos so that I bought ps4, g29 and h pattern shifter :D. 2 weeks ago miata race was so fun I learned how to heel and toe even won 1 race, Now thinking about using paddle shifters on miata in sport mode it makes me really sad, I hope they can find a better solution than disabling clutch and h shifter in sport mode.
VBR

The new "solution" in this update to disallow clutch in Sport Mode is also a pretty stupid decision as well, because, Thrustmaster T-GT owners who liked using the clutch & h pattern in Sport Mode can no longer do so. Not only are they hindering sales of Thrustmaster add on products, such as their shifters & pedals sets, but they also seem to be on a mission to ruin the gaming experience of the customers of their official licensing partner Thrustmaster, not to mention all other clutch users. Also, when you turn on fully adjustable gearing, you cannot use the clutch to shift either (you could do this in GT5, but not from GT6 onwards). All this smacks of thoughtless, lazy, & utterly poor game design decisions by PD. It makes me wonder just how many Thrustmaster shifter/pedal sets have been returned over the years as "faulty" because of this...

I guess in order to have this in sport mode they might not even have to nerf flat foot shifting because h pattern users will lose time down shifting if the use of both paddles and shifter is not allowed. If there is an advantage maybe a transmission/clutch damage model could be implemented. Sport mode aside there is no reason not to have fully realistic shifting in the rest of the game and possibly and option to switch between that and the current model in lobbies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this sucks. Since the update my Fanatec Clubsport H shifter does not work at all in game. If I convert it to Sequential mode, that works just fine. I have no clutch pedal. Hmm...:confused:

Have any of you guys tried putting your conical brake mod on the clutch pedal instead, so the on/off action happens faster when you hit the clutch?

Yeah it works at least for thrustmaster where it calibrates to only as far as you press it each time you turn it on.

Sweet, thanks. That’s what I have so I may try that later for quicker slaps of the clutch seeing as I don’t use it on my brake. :)

Got to try to avoid pushing it too hard though because you can easily increase the calibration range and then not have the clutch depressed enough next time.

Got to try to avoid pushing it too hard though because you can easily increase the calibration range and then not have the clutch depressed enough next time.

This is true, maybe swapping out the rubber cone for a harder block(wood maybe?) would work better. I’ll play with a few things and report back on what worked best. Thanks again for the info. :)

Just a thought...

...I remember a game dev saying that it costs some ridiculous amount of money (tens of thousands) to get a game update approved & out for the PS4. So, I was wondering if PD has to pay the same or a similar amount to Sony for theirs? If they do, then wouldn't it have been better to employ someone to fix the loophole that facilitates cheating with the clutch, then un-nerf the clutch & improve it, rather than pay to break it with one update & then pay again to revert it back to what it was with another...

VBR
Just a thought...

...I remember a game dev saying that it costs some ridiculous amount of money (tens of thousands) to get a game update approved & out for the PS4. So, I was wondering if PD has to pay the same or a similar amount to Sony for theirs? If they do, then wouldn't it have been better to employ someone to fix the loophole that facilitates cheating with the clutch, then un-nerf the clutch & improve it, rather than pay to break it with one update & then pay again to revert it back to what it was with another...

I looked it up and all I could find was stuff regarding 3rd party developers being charged for last-gen consoles, and MS ended up deciding to make patching free right around new gen consoles were introduced in 2013.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...rges-developers-to-patch-their-xbox-360-games

Microsoft made the policy change on the quiet earlier this year after charging developers tens of thousands of dollars to patch their games.

Microsoft has always charged a fee when developers first submit their games to Microsoft's certification process so they can be approved for release, and the company normally grants developers one title update free of charge. This remains the case, but sources have told Eurogamer that subsequent re-certification as a result of a title update is now free. This applies to Xbox Live Arcade games and full retail games.​

https://www.technobuffalo.com/it-costs-40000-to-patch-a-game-on-home-consoles

"Those systems as great as they are, they're still closed…You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can't do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch – we can't afford that!"​

Considering how a bunch of devs embraced Games-As-a-Service for this gen and providing frequent monthly updates, I imagine for XO and PS4 the fee to update games is significantly less if not completely free like MS had already stated. If there are fees I also doubt PD has to pay them considering they're owned by Sony.

1.37 update killed the fun for me... And those n300 races weren't fun at all with paddle shifter! Not realistic at all! I Tried to join lobby races but searching through the lobby is so complicated. you cannot sort the lobbies from how many people there are in to low, Its just pure cancer. I don't enjoy gr.3 gr.4 cars :( Well at least my finals ended so I have to move, I won't be playing gtsport for a while, I hope they revert this questionable change one day...

giphy.gif

VBR
It seems that they have with the 1.39 update, hence my post.

I meant the ban of h-pattern shifters in sports mode. I tested it right now and results are the same, they disabled it.

But! I discovered one thing, now the clutch ( at least for g29) works realistic, before the patch clutch was just ON, if you pressed it a little it wouldn't response you had to push it all the way, now they changed it! Check it out.

Removing the ability to use a clutch and h-pattern shifter in Sport mode is a TERRIBLE solution to the problem. Just limit the speed at which shifts can be performed in Sport mode to make it even for everyone. Driving an old school mini-cooper using paddle shift is ridiculous.

Great to see the progressive clutch but not being able to use it in Sport mode is pretty annoying.

Last edited:
Removing the ability to use a clutch and h-pattern shifter in Sport mode is a TERRIBLE solution to the problem. Just limit the speed at which shifts can be performed in Sport mode to make it even for everyone. Driving an old school mini-cooper using paddle shift is ridiculous.

Dude this is literally exactly what they did in the last update and it was awful. Mis-shifts into neutral almost every time. In fact, it was so bad, they reverted it only days later.

Banning the H shifter from Sport Mode is unfortunately the best option right now.

Dude this is literally exactly what they did in the last update and it was awful. Mis-shifts into neutral almost every time. In fact, it was so bad, they reverted it only days later
Yeah it was nothing short of infuriating. Great theory, but doesn't work in practise.

Great to see the progressive clutch but not being able to use it in Sport mode is pretty annoying.

I agree, Sport Mode + Clutch = Life
They should work on a system where you can't miss shift, and IF you do something too quickly then the gear really engage 0.4 seconds later

Back