Gran Turismo World Series Exhibition Seasons Return, Beginning February 28

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 9,495 comments
Had fun in Nations yesterday. Haven’t done much sport mode since GT7 launched. First FIA race since GTS. Ran my Euro Alt twice and my NA main once.

First race was a yard sale. Q’d DFL, got pinballed around and the first few laps. Didn’t finish much better.

Second race, Q’d 8th and finished 5th. I’ll take it.

Hit the second slot of N/A servers. Same thing, Q’d 8th, finished 5th. Should have podium’d, but ended up on the crappy end of the first 5-lap-melee.

My basic strategy was run RH’s till end of lap 11, then go like hell the rest of the race. The overcut seemed to work

All my Alts and Main is a variation of this handle. If anyone recognizes me, please say what’s up 😎. I’m usually in the A/S lobbies

View attachment 1240029

It's nice to see VR support pull people back to the game and also bring in new players. There was a significant spike in entries for the Catalunya Time Trial event compared to the past few previous events.

I myself had quit GTWS waiting for PS VR2. Now I'm back and enjoying it more than ever.

It's nice to see VR support pull people back to the game and also bring in new players. There was a significant spike in entries for the Catalunya Time Trial event compared to the past few previous events.

I myself had quit GTWS waiting for PS VR2. Now I'm back and enjoying it more than ever.

Honestly, I’ve just been having too much fun car collecting and doing custom races to really bother with sport mode. I still might jump in if there’s a combo that tickles my fancy, but I’d like to actually try for an entire FIA season this year.

And yes, VR has renewed my interest in SM somewhat. If anything, my pace has suffered tho. Still can’t find that 3/4 of a second I used to have. Oh well, I’m having a blast inside the headset!!

fail austin powers GIF

I would have left them a message saying 'Learn to drive'.
This exact thing happened to me once on the straight right after the CoD at Dragon Trail clockwise. It took me twenty seconds and 6 seconds of wall penalties to get out!

Annnnnnd here we have Seaside again this weekend. I can’t wait!
:banghead:

Last edited:
I think this was probably the best Nations Cup ranking I've had thus far. 26th in the NA region.

I'm really starting to wonder now how much better I'd be able to run on a proper rig. To this day (...and going all the way back to the original Gran Turismo on PS1 and every one since) I've only ever played it on controller, never a wheel. 🤔
You’re right quick on a controller. I’ve raced you a ton and never sensed that you were on a controller. You can spot a lot of drivers who are. Didn’t remember you were a GTP member but we get matched a lot and it’s usually good racing. Good luck Saturday and hope to see you out there again.

You’re right quick on a controller. I’ve raced you a ton and never sensed that you were on a controller. You can spot a lot of drivers who are. Didn’t remember you were a GTP member but we get matched a lot and it’s usually good racing. Good luck Saturday and hope to see you out there again.

Yup, same to you as well. 👍

Don’t like Seaside, don’t really like the Gr4 Mustang so gonna give Saturday a miss and end the season early.

Not sure who I’m going to pick for the proper series, especially if we’re locked in for 2 seasons again. Few manufacturers where I like cars in both classes.
I guess you got to look at in two directions.

1. Aim to be competitive and win every race. Drive the meta brands (Nissan, Porsche, Subaru, Toyota)
2. Or go out to have fun and test yourself. (Citroen, Hyundai, Audi, Ferrari, Lambo)

Im tempted to go back to AMG again. Last year both Gr3 & Gr4 cars were very good all rounds that did well at most rounds. Just remember your pick you car for Season 2 for those unknown rounds. I wonder how many people pick just based on Season 1 rounds?

———————

Must get round to some practice races for tomorrows race. Done a few TT laps and the car feels good. But different story when you add the fuel and tyre wear in.

I guess you got to look at in two directions.

1. Aim to be competitive and win every race. Drive the meta brands (Nissan, Porsche, Subaru, Toyota)
2. Or go out to have fun and test yourself. (Citroen, Hyundai, Audi, Ferrari, Lambo)

Im tempted to go back to AMG again. Last year both Gr3 & Gr4 cars were very good all rounds that did well at most rounds. Just remember your pick you car for Season 2 for those unknown rounds. I wonder how many people pick just based on Season 1 rounds?
Winning is not really a consideration ;)

AMG is on the list, haven't done GTWS with them but a few good dailies. Renault, Genesis (though I haven't used them since the GR4 AWD nerf), McLaren, VW. I'm actually really considering Suzuki at the moment - I really like the Gr3 VGT and it will be a great VR car when I finally get the headset.

I'm in the same situation regarding the proper season :confused: I could channel my italian pride and go with Ferrari, but I don't know if I can balance fun with competitiveness with it (in both groups) :irked: If the next one will be another test season, then it will be a perfect test for the real season ;)

Regarding tomorrow: No stop or one stop ? Hit me with your answers :cool:

I'm in the same situation regarding the proper season :confused: I could channel my italian pride and go with Ferrari, but I don't know if I can balance fun with competitiveness with it (in both groups) :irked: If the next one will be another test season, then it will be a perfect test for the real season ;)

Regarding tomorrow: No stop or one stop ? Hit me with your answers :cool:
If I did race it - start on hards then pit away from the traffic/CoD carnage, put those softs to work.
So just jumped on now to do some laps and I’m not sure on strategy.

So race spec - Hards i was lapping in around the low 1.48’s and the Softs a mid to low 1.46’s. So 1.5-2 seconds quicker with the soft tyres.

Ive calculated pit lane loss to be about 15 seconds. So within 8 laps you can potentially gain that pit stop deficit, but then you got to overtake. I don’t know how hard it is to overtake on this track or not. So that could favour the hards tyres maybe?

The other issue as fezzik said, the COD. How many people are going to die in this corner, and if someone does, will you be the unlucky driver who get collected too in this corner?

I think of your in the top 5 you start on hards and go the distance, but if your towards the back I think you gamble, start on hards, pit L1 and then hope you can overtake and the COD takes some victims to gain you places. But the other option is to also start on the hards and hope you overcut the 1 stoppers and also gain from the COD.

No-stop on hards is likely the optimal, but I don’t think I could do the consistent times needed in the traffic. Bound to lose time at some point, so would rather get clean space for at least some laps and try to maximise the softs.

Perhaps....but I can't speak for everyone. I couldn't get close to my single practice best laptime in the sim race, even though tire wear is only 1. I think there's more time to be gained and make it closer to even for me. But still that requires me to push on the RS and I felt like I could drive a little more consistent and less aggressive on the RH for the whole race, plus it also takes the drama of having to pit out of it. I'll be busy all morning and probably won't get to play a slot until the evening anyway, so I'm sure by then folks will have iron'd out which strat works out best.

So just jumped on now to do some laps and I’m not sure on strategy.

So race spec - Hards i was lapping in around the low 1.48’s and the Softs a mid to low 1.46’s. So 1.5-2 seconds quicker with the soft tyres.

Ive calculated pit lane loss to be about 15 seconds. So within 8 laps you can potentially gain that pit stop deficit, but then you got to overtake. I don’t know how hard it is to overtake on this track or not. So that could favour the hards tyres maybe?

The other issue as fezzik said, the COD. How many people are going to die in this corner, and if someone does, will you be the unlucky driver who get collected too in this corner?

I think of your in the top 5 you start on hards and go the distance, but if your towards the back I think you gamble, start on hards, pit L1 and then hope you can overtake and the COD takes some victims to gain you places. But the other option is to also start on the hards and hope you overcut the 1 stoppers and also gain from the COD.
I just did 2 race simulations, 1 RH the whole way, 2 start on RS and pit on the last lap for RH. I was 5 seconds faster over race distance doing a no stopper.
Perhaps....but I can't speak for everyone. I couldn't get close to my single practice best laptime in the sim race, even though tire wear is only 1.
So wait, isn’t tire wear x7 for the race? Or did I dream that? Are you saying the softs last all race?

I decided not to do the last round. I couldn't be bothered to set up and be last in my real Gr. 2 Car.
Nations results:
1679093040373.png

Not too bad considering. I feel like I've had a decent season and as you can see pretty consistent pointswise.

I am at a wedding tomorrow so my season 3 of manu is also over.

Weird race.

Qualified 8th and, since I rarely overtake, I go for hards for the entire race.

Only one car pits after the first lap.

Around 5th or 6th lap two cars pit.

I spend all the race pursuing two guys. Close enough to make them check the gap, but too far to make them check the mirrors.

Last lap and a lot of people pit, so my two friends and I get promoted to 4th, 5th and 6th. We also overtake one guy that was serving a penalty for crossing the pit exit. At the last turn we all get even closer to each other and cross the finish line as a pack.

So in my slot:
-Winner and 2nd did 11S+1H
-3rd, 4th and 5th did 12H
-Lots of people also did 11S+1H
-One guy did 1H+11S
-Two clueless guys did 6S+6H
-No one got a 1 minute penalty

Take in mind it was DR C.

Last edited:
Ran the 8:00 slot. Low DR B, winner worth 100 points.

The qualifying set the tone for the race. I went out as 4th and got rear ended at the Larini curve on the outlap....
By a GTR that most likely had BB at 4 to the front while I was a 2 to the rear.

After Q I was in P6, started in hards to have options.
The first two laps where chaos, desperate people on softs trying to capitalize on their pace while no good overtaking spots, I got rear ended twice and grazed the wall at the chicane with damage both front and rear from people not understanding that cars and drivers have different braking spots.

Anyway, I wasn't too concerned and took it easy since I didn't really care about the points.
Several times a 4WD came flying up the inside and when I delayed my turn in they outbraked them self.
I finished as P8, let a finish racer in an Atenza by on the last lap because he was so wreckless that I thought he was going to kill us both.

Not going back, the driving standards where appalling and I needed a shower just for being in that lobby.
I got my CRB though.

First slot, Qualified 3rd, ran no stop Hards. Race starts and I get spun around at T1 so I was dead last already. Played catch up and with a number of CoD deaths and people pitting end of Lap 1, I finished 4th. 2nd and 3rd were no stops too. 143 points

Seems to be that Hards nonstop is best unless you’re on pole and can get away with a clean drive

Needed a 2nd run, the 1st was horrible; Chicane of death + dirty air = The Grim Reaper is waiting for you 💀

And yes, I bottled the qualifying lap, but not in the chicane but on the last turn :banghead:

Did a no stop strategy, but this was a race that both strategy (no stop and one stop for soft) can be good when used with logic ;)

If I did race it - start on hards then pit away from the traffic/CoD carnage, put those softs to work.
This is exactly what I did. Almost everyone else, in my Low DR B lobby started on RS, and I was losing time being knocked about. Pitted at the end of Lap 2, having been shuffled down to 9th, came out last but one and ran in free air. Started the last lap in 2nd, but they got a 1 min penalty. So, won. Lost some time over taking, maybe 3-4 seconds from my usual pace. Finished comfortably ahead of 2nd.

Back