Gran Turismo World Series Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 335 comments
As usual that was a fun race to watch.

There’s something about Gran Turismo’s spectate cameras, lighting and audio that immerses you in a race unlike any other sim racing event out there.

Pretty much every other game “still looks like a game” when you watch an esports event, but not GT. It’s why I tune even despite not owning the game/console.

Still not a fan of the event being more Olympic-like than esports like however. GT has serious esports potential but not while individual team/driver sponsorships and such are forbidden.

The balance of vehicle performance is excellent however, as evidenced by the closeness of the racing. The vehicle variety is why I prefer the Manufacturers’ Cup vs the Nations Cup.

Last edited:
Is there a reason they never actually show what the drivers are doing in the race?
They either show fancy in game replay style views of the live action or a shot of the driver turning the controller.
We never see what the driver sees in the whole event.
I presume the reason is because it looks detrimental to GT values. Likely the drivers use full screen view with full HUD overlay. If this is the reason they should just force drivers to use interior view without HUD, and let us viewers actually see what the drivers are actually doing in a race, just a thought.
For all I know the "drivers" are just doing 12 player Tetris with a steering wheel.

Is there a reason they never actually show what the drivers are doing in the race?
They either show fancy in game replay style views of the live action or a shot of the driver turning the controller.
We never see what the driver sees in the whole event.
I presume the reason is because it looks detrimental to GT values. Likely the drivers use full screen view with full HUD overlay. If this is the reason they should just force drivers to use interior view without HUD, and let us viewers actually see what the drivers are actually doing in a race, just a thought.
For all I know the "drivers" are just doing 12 player Tetris with a steering wheel.
Yeah, should be cockpit view only imo , they can race in whatever view they choose I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

I had Toyota picked, I jumped to the Nurb race a minute before the Toyota race leader spun it on lap 1 with a 3sec lead. Well done Nissan.
I had a Spaniard picked for the TGR race, turns out it was the correct prediction, thanks Urra!

1W
1L
I picked Spain for Nations, a call based solely on hometown advantage.

btw why they dont use all of the manufacturers?
Okay I have had this thought all race today. I know why cause it is logistics and how many rigs available at one time, but why not have all 27 eligible manufacturers in two races (excluding Mazda, Toyota and Genesis cause sponsorship allocations), and have two races each to set up the final, like how they do the Nation's cup! Two races, 24 manus for ~12 spots ,then qualifying race then final. Could give a chance for other brands to show up for these events, and it'll maybe set up some surprises along the way to the final.

A pipe dream I know, but it could probably work.

Last edited:
It only now just occurred to me that its been whole years since we've seen the following makes in ANY World Tour races:

Ferrari: I feel like they just simply have NONE of the fast guys and the car being shocking AND old doesn't help.
Audi: I feel like them even being present was mostly carried by the sheer determination of @Tidgney and much like Audi Sport in Real life, they might as well not exist ever since he hasn't competed.
Alfa Romeo: I seriously cannot recall the last time Alfa was even in a World final, hell I don't even remember if they ever were in a World Final period.
Jaguar: As is the case with Alfa, I cannot recall the last time they even were in a final, if at all even.
Peugeot: I recall them during the GT Sport time, but Genuinely can't recall this happening ever since.
@Nebuc72 is right, Ferrari would have qualified this year if Genesis hadn't paid to be there. In the last proper season of GTSport Ferrari did "win" the EMEA Region but nobody decent in the other regions picked them so they didn't qualify for the finals.

We could add Citroën to the list. I don't recall seeing them at any live event ever.

The vehicle variety is why I prefer the Manufacturers’ Cup vs the Nations Cup.
Also,since the drivers know their cars because they drove it over the season it allows for closer racing.They know when. to brake.I doubt we would have seen such close racing if it was a nations cup with random cars
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Nissan Takes Its First GT World Series Manufacturers Cup Title in Barcelona

The Nissan squad of Mehdi Hafidi, Ryota Kokubun, and Mateo Estevez took a smart victory in the Gran Turismo World Series Manufacturers Cup Final to claim a first world title for the brand — five years after agonisingly missing out...
I just realized,Nissan lost the very first GT live event all the way back in GT Sport and it was at the nurburgring,what a come back story.Even if it took like......5 years 😂

Last edited:
Ferrari would have qualified this year if Genesis hadn't paid to be there.
now that ain't right.In case of paid spots like this,PD should still bring the drivers and manufacturer that qualified properly,have 13 cars in the grid if that's what it takes

Still not a fan of the event being more Olympic-like than esports like however. GT has serious esports potential but not while individual team/driver sponsorships and such are forbidden.
This is personal preference, but at least on the team front I disagree. I think it actually benefits GT that it's not esports-team based, because for people who play the game but aren't the A+ Sport Mode players who regularly interact with the esports players, it's much easier to see a nation or a manufacturer and go "hey, I like them already, I'll watch and root for them" than it is if they see an esports team that they've probably never heard of.

More unhappiness regarding the stewarding:

Also, some collision clips if anyone wants to be the judge. First, Lambo vs Genesis (the commentators also appeared to question the call):

And finally, the BMW vs Honda crash:

Last edited:
More unhappiness regarding the stewarding:

Also, some collision clips if anyone wants to be the judge. First, Lambo vs Genesis (the commentators also appeared to question the call):

And finally, the BMW vs Honda crash:

Lambo totally deserved to be at podium , especially in GT7 its not much used because BOP/settings makes it bad

also that BMW that killed Honda that was very unfortunate 😥

They should hire the F1 stewards!

Yes, that was sarcasm....
Lambo need Toto in their booth.

"No GT, no, no, no. This is so not right!"

But all joking aside... Lambo got hosed! They were the most impressive drive to that point, from starting P11 (I believe, regardless it was way down there) to P2, to crashing going back down the grid, to P1, only to be punted off on pit exit (Bush league stuff by Genesis!) and get caught up and never recover.

Has me wondering if the pen to Genesis was so lenient because they were there and a sponsor? Na, that wouldn't be it at all! :rolleyes:

i remember this exchange i think it was lap 1:
driver: Who bumped us?
team:subaru
driver: makes sense
That was hilarious 😂

Last edited:
But all joking aside... Lambo got hosed! They were the most impressive drive to that point, from starting P11 (I believe, regardless it was way down there) to P2, to crashing going back down the grid, to P1, only to be punted off on pit exit (Bush league stuff by Genesis!) and get caught up and never recover.

Has me wondering if the pen to Genesis was so lenient because they were there and a sponsor? Na, that wouldn't be it at all! :rolleyes:

Seriously, when did someone losing on the brakes (In the wet and on cold tires) count as "Cheating"? They literally did what I've done and what millions of others have done, how the hell is it cheating when only THEY do it?

I get the Stewards were displaying FIA level nonsense (guess the they never truly left, did they), but to call the penalty "cheating" just because it involves one of the paying manufacturers is beyond overreacting.

As for the BMW incident, they finished far down the order. What the hell would have penalizing them have done? They screwed themselves over in the process.

Last edited:
Seriously, when did someone losing on the brakes (In the wet and on cold tires) count as "Cheating"? They literally did what I've done and what millions of others have done, how the hell is it cheating when only THEY do it?
wait,what is this about?

Because if it isn't deliberate, then you wait for the driver you punted off. If you don't, then it's fair to call it 'cheating' or at a minimum, poor sportsmanship, because they gained an advantage by punting. It's not exactly rocket science. If that was a heavy damage race then Genesis wouldn't even have got on the podium. It's one of the reasons heavy damage was introduced into Esports events in GP1. To prevent cheating!

Because if it isn't deliberate, then you wait for the driver you punted off. If you don't, then it's fair to call it 'cheating' or at a minimum, poor sportsmanship, because they gained an advantage by punting. It's not exactly rocket science. If that was a heavy damage race then Genesis wouldn't even have got on the podium. It's one of the reasons heavy damage was introduced into Esports events in GP1. To prevent cheating!

At most, it can be viewed as poor sportsmanship. Its not like they were just punting the hell out of everyone the whole time. Look at how spread out the field was by the time the car even got a penalty. Only reason they even got a podium is the field repeatedly slinging bells at one another, it's not like they never lost anything. Again, overreacting to the absolute degree here. Call out the Stewards for being lousy as usual, but "Cheating" just feels like classic "My team didn't do well so I'm complaining" and this is coming from someone who was disappointed when it happened.

At most, it can be viewed as poor sportsmanship. Its not like they were just punting the hell out of everyone the whole time. Look at how spread out the field was by the time the car even got a penalty. Only reason they even got a podium is the field repeatedly slinging bells at one another, it's not like they never lost anything. Again, overreacting to the absolute degree here. Call out the Stewards for being lousy as usual, but "Cheating" just feels like classic "My team didn't do well so I'm complaining" and this is coming from someone who was disappointed when it happened.
In my personal opinion. Cheating is gaining an advantage by performing an illegal manoeuvre at the detriment of another driver. That's exactly what that was. Read the room. People are saying the penalty should have been harsher than 1 sec. Bad sportsmanship and cheating are 2 sides of the same coin.

Back