GRID AS suggestions (with like function!)

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 218 comments
Damn I feel guilty @mister dog :embarrassed: , you are completely right. So we are talking in here for fixes, updates and that kind of stuff we would like to see or are we talking in general about the GRID Autosport franchise and future editions? Maybe you could update OP with some additional info so that it's clearly to read that for example "I want that track or that car" is not the kind of topic talked about here.

Damn I feel guilty @mister dog :embarrassed: , you are completely right. So we are talking in here for fixes, updates and that kind of stuff we would like to see or are we talking in general about the GRID Autosport franchise and future editions? Maybe you could update OP with some additional info so that it's clearly to read that for example "I want that track or that car" is not the kind of topic talked about here.
I'll take it a step further and create a GAS Car and Track Wishlist and @mister dog can edit the OP and title of this thread accordingly.

I think it's more for suggestions that will improve the game and the experience (mirrors, flag rules etc) as opposed to a 'content wish list'

- Offline driverrating

I like the online driverrating a lot but it shows a bit a onesided image of the racer behind the screen. If for example you would have an online and offline rating both could be shown in a lobby for example. Also it would be nice to see the driverrating next to the assists etc etc when running a RC or up on the oncomming leaderboards.

An idea stolen from FM; when you start up the game and enter the main screen of the menu, a message appears that someone from your friends/ clubmates beat your time in a racenet challenge.

- Rear view mirrors/ wing mirrors. These should be actual mirrors in cockpit cam, but should also have the ability to include a 'virtual' mirror for external/bonnet cams
I thought about that, and wouldn't a mirror screw up the closest interior view seeing you are close to the windshield? It wouldn't be natural to try and simulate a full mirror from that perspective as it would touch your head almost in real life :D .

Option to purchase loan cars online.

It's hard sometimes to pre-purchase cars for online, especially early on. There's limited cash and limited car slots. But if I'm in a room that I'm having a good time with, I'd love to be able to buy the car I'm driving and carry on with them without having to back all the way out.

A button to purchase the loan car when selecting it (pending garage spaces and cash) would be perfect. Or even the option after the race, and if purchased the car receives XP as normal for that race.

I'm going to tag @anim8r_uk in this post, because I think this is something absolutely necessary. All the other suggestions thus far would improve the game, but the game can survive without them. This one, I think, is different:

Change the default set-up for any team with a set-up rating of "none" in any championship with rear-wheel drive cars.

I get the idea that smaller teams struggle because their set-up abilities are low. But it's a problem in the Endurance, Open-Wheel and Street events with coupes because the default set-up is zero for everything. This makes those cars extremely difficult to drive and while I love the way you need to re-learn the circuits for the class of car, the default set-up for these categories makes you feel like you're being punished because the cars tend to spin at the slightest provocation. There's a very, very fine point where just enough throttle becomes too much throttle, and given the short travel on the buttons of a controller, it's easy to miss. If you knuckle down, you could probably learn how to drive the cars, but it's far more frustrating than it is rewarding. Of course, there's always the alternative team choice, but it isn't immediately obvious that the problems can be cured with set-up changes, and even with the changes recommended by others here, it still took me a long, long time to learn the cars.

I'm going to tag @anim8r_uk in this post, because I think this is something absolutely necessary. All the other suggestions thus far would improve the game, but the game can survive without them. This one, I think, is different:

Change the default set-up for any team with a set-up rating of "none" in any championship with rear-wheel drive cars.

I get the idea that smaller teams struggle because their set-up abilities are low. But it's a problem in the Endurance, Open-Wheel and Street events with coupes because the default set-up is zero for everything. This makes those cars extremely difficult to drive and while I love the way you need to re-learn the circuits for the class of car, the default set-up for these categories makes you feel like you're being punished because the cars tend to spin at the slightest provocation. There's a very, very fine point where just enough throttle becomes too much throttle, and given the short travel on the buttons of a controller, it's easy to miss. If you knuckle down, you could probably learn how to drive the cars, but it's far more frustrating than it is rewarding. Of course, there's always the alternative team choice, but it isn't immediately obvious that the problems can be cured with set-up changes, and even with the changes recommended by others here, it still took me a long, long time to learn the cars.

I'll have to try this on a controller, but I just jumped in a 320i TC and with a wheel it's definitely not the case. In fact, it's very nice that the cars can be driven on the throttle, and gives a lot of nuance to the driving. The weight transfer and control of the attitude of the car through the corner is arguably more nuanced than GT6, even if other aspects of the physics are more simplified.

Then again, to take full advantage of this with a controller may take serious amounts of skill and/or very fine finger control. Toggle on TCS as a workaround? I won't say it's working as intended until I've tried it with a controller myself, but it may well be intentional that the cars drive that way.

Edit: Street Coupe BRZ on Brands Short with a DS3 plugged into the PC emulating a 360 pad through MotioninJoy. I'm not getting it. I'm finding it harder to be smooth on the steering that on the throttle. Had a couple of big moments over the crest of the first turn, but couldn't really spin it because full oppo and foot hard down seems to save just about everything.

Are you playing with triggers or buttons? Playing with buttons has to be the equivalent of playing with a keyboard these days. If you french fry when you should have pizza'd, you're gonna have a bad time. :(

Last edited:
I thought about that, and wouldn't a mirror screw up the closest interior view seeing you are close to the windshield? It wouldn't be natural to try and simulate a full mirror from that perspective as it would touch your head almost in real life :D .

Yeah.... the 'real' mirrors would be for full cockpit view. Other views would have the option to turn on/off 'virtual' mirrors.

Like this...
rFactor2010-06-1613-47-05-74.jpg

I have to disagree. I can still win in those cars on very hard. It's is VERY hard to do though. The idea is that you don't have to 'win' every race. Treat it a bit like the F1 games. When you're in the bottom teams, expect to finish down the order.... maybe mid-pack. Once you get through the seasons, better teams come forward allowing you to re-run the championship in a better car/team. If we made a game where everyone could win first time in any car/team, then the game wouldn't last long and it'd lose it's replay appeal.

Last edited:
Are you playing with triggers or buttons?
Triggers, of course.

And traction control isn't really an option - I was experimenting with it at Brands, and it cost me three seconds per lap.

I have to disagree. I can still win in those cars on very hard. It's is VERY hard to do though. The idea is that you don't have to 'win' every race. Treat it a bit like the F1 games. When you're in the bottom teams, expect to finish down the order.... maybe mid-pack. Once you get through the seasons, better teams come forward allowing you to re-run the championship in a better car/team. If we made a game where everyone could win first time in any car/team, then the game wouldn't last long and it'd lose it's replay appeal.
I'm not trying to win every race. I'm trying to catch 15th place. Or at least I was - I ended up quitting after going four laps down.

I appreciate that you don't want everyone to win first time, every time. But there's a huge difference between making the set-up manageable and making it impossible.

Triggers, of course.

And traction control isn't really an option - I was experimenting with it at Brands, and it cost me three seconds per lap.

I'm not trying to win every race. I'm trying to catch 15th place. Or at least I was - I ended up quitting after going four laps down.

I appreciate that you don't want everyone to win first time, every time. But there's a huge difference between making the set-up manageable and making it impossible.

I wonder if there's not something else going on then, you've got a bugged version or something. You're experienced enough to know the difference between just needing to get better and something that's actually going wrong. I'm not feeling anything wrong in the pad controls here that I haven't felt trying to drive any other sim-type game with a pad.

But I guess there's no guarantee that the controls on PC and the controls on PS3 (you're on PS3, right?) are the same, especially with me running a PS3 pad through an X360 emulator. You'd think they would be pretty close though...

I'm on the 360.

I don't think it's a bug. It's just the default setting for some of these cars makes them spin-happy. Changing the set-up fixes the issue, as you would expect it to.

Part of it is probably me being too heavy on the throttle. But I just think that it's an issue because if you're like me, you would feel like you're being punished for something.

This is a great thread.... and something I can feed directly back to the team :)

With that in mind.... @Johnnypenso ... hope you don't mind, but I've put your suggestion here.

-The (overtake) chevron disappears when someone is beside you if they are far enough away on the track. The chevron should never disappear if a car is beside you no matter how far away it is. Perhaps a change in size to indicate a car is far away would work. The chevron should change in some significant way when a car both about to overlap you and when it does. Perhaps a flashing or colour change. Maybe turn yellow when the car is within 1 car length, and red when it is overlapping you.

To come back to this. It would be great. This would be a big improvement due to the mirrors missing. On- and Offline it would add to racing cleaningly with the other racers.

The whole chevron system is already in place and with a few tweaks this could be a great system.

I have no idea though if it requires a huge amount of work to adjust this system?

Back