GRID AS suggestions (with like function!)

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 218 comments
-Change the action replay camera; dump the shots with close ups of the cars themselves, we like to see a TV style replay if possible with trackside cams, so we can see how we took our lines through those corners and imagine it is a real TV replay we're watching.
I second this. I just had a couple of crazy races in Formula B at Spa, which culminated in two guys going side-by-side into Blanchimont on the final lap and getting into a huge tangle. I was watching it in slow motion on the replay (the music slowing down is also a nice touch), but the camera switched to focus on my point of view at the last moment.

And it would be a VERY welcome change!
Except to all of the people like me, who are casual gamers and so are only going to get frustrated with the game and be left feeling like we are being punished simply because we don't have an intimate understanding of physics and car set-up. I don't want to spend hours tinkering around, trying to find a tenth of a second through minute changes to my gear ratios.

All a "more realistic handling model" is going to do is drive people like me away. But I guess you'll be happy, so that's what matters.

Last edited:
In bumper cam, put the RPM and Speedo gauges on the bottom of the screen in the middle, something along the lines of how Gran Turismo does it. It just makes it easier to get an idea of where you are exactly on the track, sort of like a centering point if you will. It also makes it easier to keep an eye on your RPM's and speed as it is centered on the screen on the bottom as opposed to them being on the right or left which just seems unnatural. Also, include a rear view mirror in this view (bumper cam) if there is not one already. (Sorry, don't remember if there is one or not as I have barely played the game yet) Thanks for reading. :cheers:

Last edited:
In bumper cam, put the RPM and Speedo gauges on the bottom of the screen in the middle, something along the lines of how Gran Turismo does it. It just makes it easier to get an idea of where you are exactly on the track, sort of like a centering point if you will. It also makes it easier to keep an eye on your RPM's and speed as it is centered on the screen on the bottom as opposed to them being on the right or left which just seems unnatural. Also, include a rear view mirror in this view (bumper cam) if there is not one already. (Sorry, don't remember if there is one or not as I have barely played the game yet) Thanks for reading. :cheers:
Try to have just the suggestion in bold to isolate it from the rest of the text to make it easier for voting...like this example:

The ability to use your own racing number in career, like in online.

I know that sounds trivial, but it's a bit of personalisation at work. I was racing for Monster in Open-Wheel today, and I had car #200 (there are a lot of three-digit racing numbers). But #200 isn't my racing number - it's Jesus Navarro's. Mine is #037, for the Lancia Rally 037, or #61 for the Maserati Tipo 61.

I second this. I just had a couple of crazy races in Formula B at Spa, which culminated in two guys going side-by-side into Blanchimont on the final lap and getting into a huge tangle. I was watching it in slow motion on the replay (the music slowing down is also a nice touch), but the camera switched to focus on my point of view at the last moment.

Except to all of the people like me, who are casual gamers and so are only going to get frustrated with the game and be left feeling like we are being punished simply because we don't have an intimate understanding of physics and car set-up. I don't want to spend hours tinkering around, trying to find a tenth of a second through minute changes to my gear ratios.

All a "more realistic handling model" is going to do is drive people like me away. But I guess you'll be happy, so that's what matters.

I can't believe you missed the point a second time! I said... include an **OPTION** to have proper physics. Casual gamers can always go with the model they like, and more serious drivers can tweak the game according to their tastes.

I get it, it's not a sim, it's a blend. Few options and tweaks will not kill the game. Like I said (third time now), have aids, options and settings to stick to a basic handling model or a proper true to life one. Flight simulators have this, why can't GA?

If it's casual racing you're after then there are plenty of NFS, TDU and Burnout titles out there.

I can't believe you missed the point a second time! I said... include an **OPTION** to have proper physics.
Oh, I understood your point perfectly well: you seem to think it is as simple as adding a few extra lines of code to make an option available. Which is somewhat odd, considering that you have voiced the opinion that the model used is a bad one, so in reality, adding that option in is going to require Codemasters to completely rebuild their physics engine. I'm surprised that you don't understand the implications and contradictions of your own posts.

When did I say the model they have is a bad one? Can you please post the exact quote here?

I said there are better models than the pivot and turn ones, and it's going to add a LOT of depth to the game.

You seem to be interpreting my posts as complaints against GAS. They are not, I assure you.

Oh well, next gen then. Rewriting code is no joke.

Make sure car settings are saved for custom races. Now there is no way to save it and they are lost each time a new event is started.

Replace Tuner class with a tarmac rally discipline.

An example of this in real life might be the Targa events in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Targa_Championship

There's a good spread of levels to it, from relatively ground roots stuff of people building their cars up in the weekend to serious teams competing for the championship. I think this could offer some different styles of racing to the other disciplines, without going full on broforce like Tuner does.

- A replay editor.

DIRT 3 was notorious for only allowing 30 seconds' worth of video to be uploaded to YouTube. But I would love to be able to record my replays here, then take the best bits and edit them together.

- Make engine sounds louder and more detailed; off throttle sounds should not go nearly mute. Have better reverb effects, and work a little on supercharger and turbo sounds as well. Thanks!

- Change sponsor objectives so that they can only be achieved once in a season, and introduce a negative XP system.

It's far too easy to rake in massive XP bonuses and level up extremely quickly, simply by hitting sponsor targets.

At the same time, the failure to meet the sponsor objectives should cost you XP. DIRT 3 had a system where you list XP every time you used a flashback. The same could be applied here - if you meet the sponsor objective, you get 500XP; if you don't, you lose it.

BTW, what good is XP to somebody who doesn't do XLive?
XP levels you up in each discipline. New events and new classes of car become available to you as you level up. For example, you start out in Cat-C touring cars, which are essentially BTCC cars. At level four, you unlock Cat-B, which is DTM, and V8 utes. And at level seven, you get Cat-A, which is Stock Car Brasil, and V8 Supercars. It's like that for all disciplines - you unlock faster cars and tougher events. But some of the sponsor objectives make it too easy to level up. In Open-Wheel, I had unlocked Formula A before I even drove a Formula B car, simply because I kept hitting sponsor targets over and over again in the twelve-race Formula C event that becomes available at level 3 in the Open-Wheel discipline.

But some of the sponsor objectives make it too easy to level up. In Open-Wheel, I had unlocked Formula A before I even drove a Formula B car, simply because I kept hitting sponsor targets over and over again in the twelve-race Formula C event that becomes available at level 3 in the Open-Wheel discipline.
Your sponsors liked you so much they pushed for a seat
teach.gif

Happens in F1 also you know ;)

-More camera options in replay
For instance, the ability to change target from yourself to other AI, this would work great if a photomode option was introduced in GAS.

Replace Tuner class with a tarmac rally discipline.
That would require lots of stages to be developed, which might be a big ask.

Perhaps it could be replaced with a Head-2-Head mode, like in DIRT 3. That would require less development, and would have the knockout function.

That would require lots of stages to be developed, which might be a big ask.

It would. Ideally, each stage would be 3-10 minutes long and no stage ever be reused, so that at least through career the stages were all unique. It's a really big ask.

Then again, there's techniques of procedural generation and such that could make it not nearly such a big deal. Tough to develop, but who knows what Codies have up their sleeves. I figure it was worth a mention. I wouldn't do it unless it could be done right, which may not be any time soon.

It would be nice to replace Tuner with something that keeps the TT aspect but isn't quite so brosome though. I was struggling to think of a racing discipline that was significantly different from Touring/Enduro/Open/Street. Those four cover a LOT of ground.

I wholly agree. Tuner, to me, lacks character. Races are races, Time Attack is a glorified qualifying session, and Drift isn't a sport. There is nothing there that the other disciplines don't already do and do better.

That said, I could see autokhana working. Stuff like navigating an obstacle course above a certain speed for as long as possible. Once you drop below that speed for too long or hit an obstacle, you're out, and the next round sets a higher minimum speed.

Or maybe races like Time Attack, where you set a qualifying lap that becomes your base lap time, and in the race, you have to get as consistently close to that lap as possible. Points are awarded for going too fast or too slow, and the winner is the person with the lowest score.

I think you are trying to draw a lot of negativity to my posts.

I have highly commended the game and given it kudos where it's earned it and deserves it. The only person who seems to want to imply that "Speedster thinks GAS is a bad game" is YOU.

I haven't called it bad or unplayable, but you seem quite determined on convincing everybody the game isn't for me, even though I'm playing it practically every day and having a jolly good ol' time with it too.

And I suppose you've somehow missed ALL the posts where I've highlighted the game's strengths and recommended it to other folks more than once?

I'm playing it practically every day and having a jolly good ol' time with it too.
Could have fooled me. When you start talking about "far more pressing concerns", that implies that you think there are serious issues that need to be addressed before the developers do anything else.

No it does not imply any of that. Chances are if you perceive something with "pre-existing negativity", it IS going to appear negative.

The game has plenty of modes of play. It needs to make a few things right before anything else. Things I don't really care to mention.. things the devs are aware of I'm sure.

So you can continue trolling with how bad the game is for me. I'm loving every lap - this is coming from a pure Forzahead. There's you go.

I wholly agree. Tuner, to me, lacks character. Races are races, Time Attack is a glorified qualifying session, and Drift isn't a sport. There is nothing there that the other disciplines don't already do and do better.

That said, I could see autokhana working. Stuff like navigating an obstacle course above a certain speed for as long as possible. Once you drop below that speed for too long or hit an obstacle, you're out, and the next round sets a higher minimum speed.

Or maybe races like Time Attack, where you set a qualifying lap that becomes your base lap time, and in the race, you have to get as consistently close to that lap as possible. Points are awarded for going too fast or too slow, and the winner is the person with the lowest score.

What's wrong with drift? How is it not a sport? :odd:

Back